Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I started with Dark Souls and will probably get this at some point in the near future. I was planning on playing it offline, since I've heard there aren't many people on a new player-level to summon and I don't like PvP (particularly as I heard invaders can troll you permanently out of one-time drops), so would I be missing out on all that much by staying offline?

Also, is there anything kind of important that the game doesn't tell you that is useful to know going in, such as a type of build that looks good but really sucks? All I know is there's some sort of odd world polarity mechanic that makes it a good idea to kill yourself in the nexus after every boss fight, and that there are some male/female-specific armors (seems a little unfair to people who didn't look up things on the internet, but maybe it's balanced).

I was planning on using a mix of dex and sorcery, since I've never really used sorcery in Dark Souls. Is that viable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How frequent are invasions now? I've been playing in offline mode since I'd have absolutely no chance of winning any fights at this point, but might go online for this event and stay human within worlds since I won't have to worry about dropping world tendency.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It would be nice if they had a patch or somesuch when the servers closed helping to make the game feel less empty, like stockpiling a bunch of random messages and bloodstains that were used before, which would randomly show up around the worlds. Or at least let you somehow get the xanthous crown after the servers are gone.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Read posted:

If you liked this fight, be sure to open the Mausoleum before you finish the game. Ostrava drops the key to it when he dies, whether it's earlier in the Boletarian Palace, in the Nexus or at the very end.

You have to do that to get Demonbrandt, which he said he was using.

If it's possible for you to acquire and use Warding, I really recommend that spell. I can't think of a character type it wouldn't help, and it lets you take a full combo from Allant and go right on stabbing him in the face.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well piss, this game's life just got one day shorter.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/23/playstation-network-going-offline-for-scheduled-maintenance-starting-tomorrow/

Since there soon won't be PvP anymore and I'm not that interested in NG+ (I find the first run much more interesting since you're always getting new things) I guess I'll just forget about getting pure stones, as grinding is really boring and you can kinda go without fully upgraded weapons.

Dark Souls really improved the upgrade system by making grinding much less profitable/necessary. I started with that game and then moved to this, and I honestly had more fun with this game on my first run (probably because my DkS experience kept my death count pretty low), as the different health and magic systems didn't bother me much, but the upgrade system in particular is probably the biggest rough spot DkS fixed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Outstanding, Dragon's Dogma was either going to pull me away from this or Demon's Souls was going to make me put that off, and now I can have both.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm currently watching him invincibility frame-roll directly into Flamelurker's explosions when they're capable of killing him in one hit. Based on the health bar it looks like he needs to get around 60-75 hits off to win. During all this he's commenting in one of the most chill voices I've ever heard while dying repeatedly, including falling to death on the mine descent once.

"Oh no. This is a very bad place to be. No."

Theurbanorb is a strange person.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Based on what he said he's been at this since yesterday at least. Somebody suggested using the Makoto because he'll die in one hit anyway. He said that would not be challenging enough.

This guy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Maneater is one of the hardest bosses in the game, and in my experience there's nothing that amazing you'll get from finishing 3-2 and 3-3. I honestly think Stonefang is the easiest world to finish and would recommend going back to that, even if it looks hard. There's some awkward falling bullshit but otherwise 2-2 is pretty manageable, so the main wall is just going to be the boss. If you can beat him, you can definitely take on the archdemon immediately afterward.

Then you'll have the Red Hot Demon's Soul so you can make special weapons if you want, and the Stonefang archdemon can get you a very nice spell. It'll also let you access 1-3 which is challenging but quite doable with your spells, and will open up some more options for you. I'd recommend making a dragon weapon after finishing Stonefang (another plus to starting with that world) because they're amazing. I got lucky and a 2-2 enemy dropped a Mirdan Hammer, which I upgraded to dragon and used for the whole rest of the game.

I just started a second run and have been following roughly this progression again, and even with a more melee-focused build it's been manageable.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Roman posted:

I played some Dark Souls on 360 up until level 50 or something. Now that I have a PS3 I was thinking about playing it again but playing through Demon's Souls first. Is there anything that was really vastly improved in Dark Souls that's going to really annoy me if I play through this game?

Sex-restricted armor is pretty annoying since you have no way of knowing what it will lock you out of when you start. There are some little combat improvements in Dark Souls that can be hard to go without, like the jumping attack and plunging attack, and most notably the logic behind staggering actually making sense. The game is incredibly biased against melee, and armor is less interesting than in Dark Souls since a lot of it is far too heavy to be viably used without getting the fat roll.

Unlike Dark Souls however, the game doesn't push you toward a heavier and heavier-style build that makes tanking behind a big shield and heavy armor practically the only option by the end. I recall getting kinda pissed at how much harder it was to use light armor and a regular shield in NG+ and even just the second half of NG; Havel's ring and the goddamn darkwood grain ring means anybody can wear the heaviest armor in the game and still go rolling around like they're below 25%, so the main advantage to light armor is gone in the few environments where it really helps. In too many others you have such a narrow area to maneuver without falling that dodging becomes a liability and the only option is tanking behind a tower shield. I haven't bothered finishing NG+ in either game but I did try it in Dark Souls and just got too annoyed by the increasingly narrow options by the end.

So Demon's Souls has a lot of very recognizable flaws but I actually enjoyed my first run through it a lot more than my first Dark Souls playthrough. It's possible that it was just because my DkS experience made it easier, but something about it just felt different and I felt like my number of options was growing toward the end rather than shrinking.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

What? Most of the stages in Dark Souls are very wide open compared to some of the poo poo Demon's Souls pulls (4-2 :argh:).

New Londo Ruins, Tomb of the Giants, Catacombs, Crystal Caves, Sen's Fortress, some places in Anor Londo, and most of Blighttown are all riddled with narrow walkways and the likes. Maybe it's because I used Warding the two times I've gone through Demon's Souls (well almost two, just have the worst bosses to finish for my second run) but the narrow areas like 4-2 didn't seem too bad to me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Brown Menace posted:

Also that one spot in the Kiln.

By the way, is the difference between male/female armors considerable, or is the difference mostly just cosmetic?

The biggest difference is the fact that male gets more options but female has a piece of armor that increases the amount of souls you get from enemies. Personally I think female has better options but that's just based on numbers from the wiki, as I haven't tried them all out myself and armor honestly doesn't matter too much in Demon's Souls.

It's more the principle of the thing that bothers me rather than armor actually being an important factor--In a game as hard as Demon's Souls, I just think it's pretty unfair to permanently lock you out of anything based on a decision you make at the beginning that has no indication as to the exact effects it will have.

It doesn't really make sense either, unless it's supposed to be due to the effectively nearly identical body structure between male and female that I'm physically incapable of wearing Sage Freke's hoodie. I notice that Dark Souls made your starting decisions less binding in terms of class as well, not just armor, as you can start to level up much earlier and souls are more plentiful early on. I like a lot of things about Demon's Souls but Dark Souls really just seems like the much better designed game in hindsight, which is I suppose how it should be.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 22, 2012

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I cannot figure out parrying. I started as Thief this time maybe planning on doing a bit more parrying, as the Buckler description says it makes that easier (I guess by giving you more frames). Since no other shield has that description I'm mostly stuck using the Buckler, except when I use the Steel Shield on enemies that can't be parried. I definitely seem to get a lot more successful parries with that, and I went through 1-1 just riposting the poo poo out of everything that tried to attack me, but now it seems really dodgy.

In 4-2 I spent a while trying to get the 2 bladestone chunks I needed to get a Sharp Uchigatana +3 without pure black world tendency (NEVER AGAIN), but pretty much every time I tried to parry it would somehow remove my stamina and health as if I had both tried to block and had gotten hit, while still occasionally deflecting the attack (even if it killed me). When things can one-shot me and I can't really do much else but slowly upgrade vitality this seems like kind of a problem. I can't figure out how else you're supposed to do it, since I'm apparently getting it right enough to parry the attack, it just decides to damage both my health and stamina anyway.

Occasionally when my timing is at the exact same moment (best I can tell at least) it will do it correctly, but there doesn't seem to be any consistency.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

On my third run when I fought Maneater, the first one somehow fell off the side of the arena in its default not-attacking position and just sort of let itself die. I heard the boss death sound but its health bar stayed half full, and then nothing happened until the second one came in. I killed it but it didn't end the boss fight since the first one still had half a health bar left, even though it was dead.

So then I had to Evacuate and go back to fight Maneater all over again.

Also, apparently black phantom Garl can cancel out of his stunlocked animation to parry and one-shot you when he has one hit left. Cool!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You may want to read about World Tendency on the wiki since it's hardly explained at all in the game and it involves a stupid mechanic that punishes you for dying with your body. Like Dark Souls the game is more rewarding if you don't look up everything on the internet, but the World/Character Tendency and the upgrade system are two things I would take a look at because you'll never figure them out on your own.

dis astranagant posted:

you have a pretty hefty stealth bonus in soul form

Has this been confirmed somewhere? This is the first I've heard of it and I really can't notice any difference in enemy detection. Although you don't have footsteps as a phantom enemies will still turn around if you run near them, so you still have to walk to sneak up on things. The Thief's Ring is the only thing I know of that decreases enemy detection, aside from things like the Graverobber's Ring affecting black phantoms specifically.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Cthulhu bells made a lot more sense to me after I realized they were blind. Unless you make noise they can only detect you when they ring the bell, so use stealth on them. It's not worth trying to rush them and stagger them before they can cast something at you because staggering makes absolutely no sense in this game, so you need to make sure you can either wipe out 100% of their health in one combo or have a piece of cover you can roll behind.

Latria has some of the best visual/atmospheric design in either Souls game but it's definitely the most boring world in my opinion. The gargoyles and centipedes are hardly a threat so 3-2 and 3-3 mostly come down to not getting killed by red Cthulus. Also the bosses suck.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

actionjackson posted:

Allant is being a pain. I'm using a spear to stay away, but I've still gotten soulsucked several times. What's the best shield for him? Some of his attacks are magic right?

I'm going to upgrade my newly found great sword to +4 crushing, then dupe a colorless soul to get a +5 tower shield. That has better stability and better magic defense than the PFS.

edit: done, but got soulsucked a lot.

I can't upgrade my shield yet because I didn't give the flamelurker soul to ed. I wanted to, but after 30+ tries I just gave up. He wouldn't take it no matter what I tried.

I've never heard of Ed not asking for it. He isn't doing it even after picking Talk until his lines repeat and then addressing him again?

For future reference, the dark silver shield has 100% magic resist so it's the best thing on Allant, although I really recommend favoring dodges over blocks there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

EC posted:

Finally back to this game after getting bored with Dark Souls again. Figured out how to kill Dragon God (seriously I felt pretty stupid when I figured out you can just hit the stupid rubble in your way) and made it through to the first shortcut of Boletaria Palace. I died a zillion times on the way, mostly to those goddamn ninjas. Also, I learned that you shouldn't try to climb a ladder when there's like 8 dudes waiting for you at the top.

I'm still going for a DEX/INT build, but I haven't found any good DEX based weapons yet, so I'm sticking with a Dragon sword +4 for now. I found a Dark Heater Shield somewhere and that has better defense than anything else. I like a fast roll, so I'm still using the leather armor (can you not upgrade armor in this game? Neither of the blacksmiths give me the option).

Tomorrow I'm going to finish out the Palace and then try to kill Maneater again. I'm really enjoying playing the game blind, I just can't help but feel like I'm probably missing a shitload of stuff. I looked at the wiki for what to use the Dragon God's soul for, but other than that I haven't peeked at it (even though it is incredibly tempted).

The two things you may want to look up are world tendency and the upgrade system, because they're completely vague and not entirely consistent. Only certain weapons can go down certain upgrade paths, the places where they split are not always the same, Boldwin only has access to a few upgrade paths, etc.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

actionjackson posted:

They're just different. Demon's Souls is more about grittiness and despair. Dark Souls has more of a fantasy/magical element to it.

I really feel the opposite way. Everything in Dark Souls, right down the HUD (which you'll notice is very grainy and old-looking compared to DeS' which is smooth and shiny), feels very worn down and dilapidated in general. Maybe it's also because Dark Souls was the first one I played and thus was much harder, and also because its bosses are frustrating brick walls more frequently, but I get the despair sort of atmosphere much more strongly from it than Demon's Souls.

Demon's Souls feels like it has a much more steady and consistent level of progression, and there's actually an ending that is for the most part a resolution to the major conflict of the story, whereas in Dark Souls it's pretty ambiguous either way. Dark Souls' style is definitely more unique but I'm not sure I personally like it as much.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

actionjackson posted:

So water veil + fire ring did work after all. Beat Allant the next time I got to him. I did use evacuate to make the Northern Regalia, but the attack power is only about 329 so it's probably not worth it compared to my moon falchion +5 (plus it weighs a lot more). My only failure was that even in PBWT I just couldn't get the ticks and mosquitos in 5-1 and 5-2 to give me a chunk of marrowstone. It would be fun to have a fatal estoc +5 sometimes.

I don't think the mosquitos ever drop chunks, so I got my fatal secret dagger +5 by running from the 5-2 archstone back through 5-1 since most of the giant ticks are in the second half of the level.

Getting quadruple-digit numbers on backstabs and ripostes against the 1-4 knights with it was certainly fun.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you play offline then you will have to never die in human form and kill several bosses before you get to pure white tendency in a world, so it is kind of a pain. If you play online it's a lot easier because it moves you towards the server average, which is usually pretty close to white or pure white.

If you play online then you can get that armor after just killing the second Boletarian Palace boss or maybe even the first, and I agree it is very cool armor.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The cutscene would be a lot better if it didn't have such an awful theme, which is what I remember about it more than anything else. Demon's Souls still has some of my favorite features from the series but it definitely has the worst soundtrack in my opinion, which is a problem because the two Dark Souls soundtracks are not exactly strong competition. Aside from a few memorable themes where they remembered how to do something else, most of the themes sound like they just told the Angry Dissonant Choir to improvise and threw it in the game(s).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zihSkliPxxA

the best soundtraHA

HA HA HA

HA

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I had a mirdan hammer drop from a miner guy on my first playthrough and pretty much just mashed butan through the rest of the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I got stuck on trying to find the monumental for like 20 minutes my first play of DeS, because I went to the very top :doh:

I did this too, in fact I even ran right by him twice. They lit a candle next to him too and I still managed to miss him.

We are the reason developers have to do incredibly silly things to make us look up in video games.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I feel like it's the easiest one actually. But I have used magic on two of my three playthroughs (not that the third was that much more difficult).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Read posted:

Magic trivializes the game to a ridiculous degree, going melee only is definitely the right choice if you want a rewarding experience. Even then, depending on what weapons you chance into you can trivialize most of the game with melee too so vOv.

I played magic my first time and it was rewarding enough (to the point that I still like demon's souls more than dark souls 1 generally). I don't know why people act like one kind of build is an objectively better experience than another just because it's harder or easier.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Except in almost every case you just want physical damage% gems. There's a bunch of effects that can appear on blood gems but almost none of them are worth using instead of physical damage unless, god save you, you're trying to make an arcane build work. In which all you care about is fire damage or bolt damage.

The system is actually comprehensible though, unlike demon's souls'.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It doesn't matter how far back you go. That guy who thinks "giant poison pit full of identical enemies" is the greatest achievement in level design has been working at from for a long time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Remember when we got that big message on login about the servers going away back in 2012 or something? Heh.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I only ever bothered doing pure white world tendency stuff, partly because one character was during a pure white tendency event but also because the server average tends to be between white and pure white. Starting off with the server average and then just making sure you don't drop it at all lets you get to pure white after 1-2 bosses.

It is a very dumb system though and from was definitely smart to get rid of it. They tried a lot of weird new stuff with demon's souls as the game pretty much pioneered everything about their asynchronous online system and established the framework for gameplay that they are still using. It's amazing it worked out as well as it did, looking back at it. And I think they were pretty intelligent in what they chose to put in their next game, what they evolved and what they got rid of.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Hi, I just started playing this game is there anything I should know? I've beaten two DaS games and BB so I mostly know what I'm doing, I was just wondering if there's anything unique to this that's not immediately obvious. I hear upgrading is a lot more complex but so far all I've been able to do is add + numbers anyway.

The weapon upgrades make no sense in this and there are systems called world tendency and character tendency that you will almost certainly not figure out on your own. While you shouldn't worry about trying really hard to manipulate them or whatever, you may want to know how they work. I would glance at these pages but not look at any other info, as basically everything else works like you'd expect from the souls games.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/upgrade
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-tendency

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Something about the shrine of storms is really surreal in this specific way that no area in the later games matches. I don't know what it is but it's awesome. Even though there's skeletons and ghosts it doesn't really feel dark to me like the valley of defilement does, just surreal and fantastic (as in "fantasy-like"), because of things like the glowing slug cave and the weather that makes you feel like you're on the edge of the world. Weather and skyboxes do a lot to set tone for me.

Environmental ambient background noise is a big part of it too. The background noise in tower of latria and shrine of storms is fantastic, and is actually a really good replacement for background music. In later games I felt like they would have benefited from some ambient music/noise (like the phonograph in the duke's archives) because they seem too silent, and not in a way that contributes to the atmosphere.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 29, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Blasphemeral posted:

Lol at "Gilbert and Sullivan". Actually, I think the game runs into that wall at Ornstein&Smough, and gets a lot better after. They're the most brutal and unfair fight in the game so far (I've not yet done the kings, but I've read that it might be similar) and that's just because you're fighting the camera as much as the bosses themselves.

If you think the camera for smo&O is bad, I do not recommend playing dark souls 3 or bloodborne

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

One time he took the point of endurance I needed to not fat roll

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How the gently caress are dying servers even making this happen though, there is no reason why the servers borking should make your otherwise single player save go to NG+, make NPCs disappear or bork with your inventory and stats :psyduck:

Sounds like some sort of hack running rampant but I'm not sure how even that would be possible

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The ring available in 1-1 that reduces enemy detection range is the key to 4-2 (and a lot of places in general)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I noticed I got the cutscene every time I started up the tower from the Maneater Archstone, and like you said I got no message about an invasion.

I tried invading with the Black Eye Stone in 3-2, but I never connected to anyone's game. Either no one was at that point, or something else messed up. I was in soul form, and it would say 'Searching for another world' but only once did it actually say 'Invasion Failed'. I get the feeling I'm not going to be able to connect with someone and get the Old Monk Hood, but thankfully, it looks like it not necessary to get platinum for the game (not that I really intend to to that anytime soon).

That's something that has always bugged me about the Souls games; it seems like the online is such a major crapshoot. Even while playing Bloodborne recently, I've not seen any summon signs from actual players. With Dark Souls 1 on PC, I know I had trouble until someone told me to download DSCM (Dark Souls Connectivity Mod). There no real feedback about who else is playing, where they're at, and if they're at the right level to connect.

Bloodborne does not do summon signs for players

Dark souls 2 and 3 added indicators of where the most players are at your level so you can generally find people in those games.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well that's not really any different than level based matchmaking as far as who you can play with here and now. The problem with soul memory is more that it pushes you up tiers involuntarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Umbasa.

• Locked thread