Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
First playthrogh, how should I use colorless souls? I'm thinking dark silver shield +2. I started out as a magic bomber but have recently turned into a dragon sword / lava bow cheesehead with a side of soul arrow. (magic is still my highest stat, because none of the fire weapons use stats to pump damage)

which is also my advice for anybody else who gets bogged down trying to soul arrow everything -- I hit the wall in 4-1 with the rolling skeletons. Made the lava bow (it's cheap!), found the ajudicator shield in a run through of 4-1 with two heavily armed phantoms, and my game changed completely.

Now trying to figure out what crescent weapon I want to make. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

davidb posted:

the wiki lists the white bow as obtainable in 4-2, but I didnt find the bow. In which case 1-4 has a black phantom that drops it?

Also who sells soul remains?

Can't you trade with the crow for one?

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

MMD3 posted:

grasses are super easy to farm in pretty much all of world 1, you can kill blue knights at the end of 1-2 for half-moon grass or red knights at the end of 1-3 for late-moon (or full, I can't remember) grasses. You'll get about 3-6 each run in addition to tons of souls.

Why would you ever do this. Just farm 4-2 for souls twice and buy 10 Full Moon grasses from Patches. Need more? Lather, rinse, repeat.

Speaking of grasses, the first time I got to Old Hero in 4-2 I had 60k souls on me just from running the level and I was freaking out -- heart in my throat and everything. During that fight I ran myself out of both grass and spice, and I got him on my very last Soul Arrow.

Protip: TOTAL PROTECTION

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

mikeraskol posted:

I don't understand how people take any damage against this boss at all. In my first run through and now my NG+ I haven't been hit by him once yet. Thief Ring makes the fight a joke, he can't find you at all.

Every single time I would fry him from across the room with Soul Arrow three or four times, he would make a beeline for me and overhand smash me with 100% accuracy, even if I tried to roll away. Of course, after that if I just stood in one place he would eventually wander off and smash poo poo on the other side of the room while I healed up with regen equipment.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Kreeblah posted:

That's your problem, then. Only hit him once or twice and slowly walk. Don't roll or run or anything. He's blind, so he can't see you. Not that it matters now.

bastard

You can get in so much trouble in this game from being greedy.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Oh also and I accidentally logged 25 hours in-game from Friday night to Sunday afternoon.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Legato posted:

Short Compound +5

Short Compound +7 --> Lava Bow --> I win button (hint, it'll be your "fire arrow" key)

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Johnny Law posted:

He will walk back up. In the meantime you'll probably have to kill a shadowman or 2 that is near you, but no biggie.

(Your issue will be more of a problem when sniping the next 2 reapers though.)

Umm, no.

#2 -- Kill the two shadowmen on the stairs, and then run around the corner and hit him in the face. If your weapon has any knockback at all, he'll fall through a gap directly behind him and die.

#3 -- Kill the first shadowman however and snipe the second one at the end of the hallway. Use a Turpentine and come around swinging. The fire will stun him and he won't get a chance to get a spell off before going down.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

SEMPER FUCKIN FI posted:

So I got this game earlier and I played up to the point where you open the main gate of the palace, and then I went back to the nexus as a Knight. I have about 5k souls and I'm totally lost as to the smart way to spend / save them.

I think I'm doing OK so far, I started a first character where I died repeatedly on this one armored guy with glowing red eyes, so I deleted that character and started over, and beat that guy with flame bombs. I cleared the rest of the wing and the subsequent wing without dying after that. I'm totally lost as to what stats are important, how to upgrade them, etc. Any advice on where to go from here would be helpful, thanks.

You can cheese the red eyed knight your first time through 1-1, but you aren't supposed to really take him on until much later.

Go through the open gate to take on the first boss. Once he's down, you can unlock the people in the Nexus you'll need to pump your stats.

*fake edit* The red eyed knight in 1-1 is kind of where I consider the game really begins.

YOU ARE ON A LARGE STONE RAMPART. THROUGH A LIGHT MIST YOU CAN SEE IN THE DISTANCE A KNIGHT CLAD IN BLACK ARMOR. THE KNIGHT HAS GLOWING RED EYES.

THE KNIGHT IS TO THE NORTH. THERE IS A SMALL STORAGE ROOM TO THE SOUTH.

>

primitive fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 20, 2009

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

Honestly I'm about ready to. 0-8 on that fight, 5 tries as a blue phantom helping others and 3 on my own with helpers. It's totally loving random and bullshit because sometimes one just takes off then lands on my head while I'm dodging another. Do you just lock on through the fog?

Eh, it took me a dozen or so tries. But not actually all on my game. What I do when I try to fight a new boss though is to throw down a soul sign right in front of the boss door; you essentially get free previews of the boss as many times as you want before you have to do it yourself. Worst case scenario, you actually beat the boss and then you get to try the boss again with two phantoms.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

qbert posted:

No and you don't need to. Just go into aim mode and you can see him right down the middle. He's a pretty big target too so it's hard to miss.

Go back to the nexus to unlock the ability to level up your stats, as well as unlock new levels. Go back through the corridor when you're fully prepared. Or go to another level. Your choice.

This is lame don't do this. Especially because you can shoot in to a boss room but you can't shoot out. Having people try to arrow me from outside the door in 3-3 is lame.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Hamburger Test posted:

It's not like they can even see a 3rd of the room, so it's not really an issue.

Yea but this is cheese that I like to do: when they hit the fog there's about a second where they are vulnerable yet frozen, if you lava bow across the door when the life bar pops up you will usually get two hits before they can even control their character.

I like collecting headscarves, they're like little yellow pubbie tears.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Wanna make a SL30 character specifically for griefing people in 3-3.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Fitret posted:

Awesome! Thanks for all the help guys! I also wonder - should I be planning out more where I want to take my character? Right now I'm kind of working towards the Lava Bow simply because I can almost make it and I have a Winged Spear +5, a Crushing Axe +3 and the Purple Flame Shield +2. I'm just sort of upgrading things willy-nilly and only being careful about how I use demon's souls from bosses. I assume this is okay because I can always just farm stuff?

A Lava Bow, Moon Winged Spear +5, and a Purple Flame Shield +8 or +9 will see you through basically all of NG. Purple Flame Shield +10 is pretty much the best shield in the game for someone who wants to be able to fast roll, with Dark Silver Shield +5 (aren't going to get it first playthrough) and Adjudicator's Shield +5 (gimmick) being better in certain limited circumstances.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Pickled Kittens posted:

invincible rolling frames

There are invincible rolling frames??!

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Whoa thanks looks like I'll be going for the Moon version instead of Crescent then.

MOON WINGED SPEAR +5

CRESCENT KILIJ +5

Both of which are awesome endgame weapons.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Real question: what's the best weapon to make Blessed? I'm thinking Mirdan Hammer for my faith run, with the LSoM as the backup.

I don't have it yet to find out, but does 2-handing the LSoM increase its damage?

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Now that I'm starting the game again, my only complaint centers around one level:

4-1

If you know where everything is, that one level is nothing but one big sloppy blowjob. You can build an endgame kit using only things you get in that level:

- Crescent Falchion
- Compound Long Bow
- Adjudicator's Shield
- Leather Armor
- 2 Colorless Souls
- Regenerator's Ring

Compare to good treasures from 1-2 and the X-1 levels:

- 1-2: Winged Spear and that's basically it
- 2-1 has... umm... Steel Shield? Kris Knife? Not exactly your everyday gear
- 3-1 has like 4 different sets of armor, and a couple of decent rings I guess
- 5-1: Blessed Mace and nothing else of consequence

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Danthrax posted:

You forgot to mention the boss's soul makes one of the best weapons in the game using items you can just find on the ground in other levels.

And basically the easiest boss in the game.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Len posted:

He was the easiest my first time through but on NG+ his magic one shot tongue destroys me.

Jump straight off the first ledge, he'll never use the tongue.

Len posted:

Theres actually a way around that entire cliff if you don't want to mess with it. The wiki has a good description on how to do it.

Won't help you with Blige, but will drop you straight on top of the Regenerator's Ring.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I've been trying to melee guys that I just cheesed in my previous playthrough.

Dirty Colossus: LSoM
Flamelurker: LSoM
Garl Vinland: Meat Cleaver + Black Turpentine

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Is there a faster / safer / easier way to do damage to the Old King? I've been trying Blueblood + Sticky White Stuff + Clever Rat which does ~125 a hit, but all he has to do is tag me once and it's all over.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I love my glass cannon Blueblood Sword build. I'm using Binded armor set, so I can't take a hit -- that's what Second Chance is for. I've made two mistakes:

- pumping faith too high, just found out that magic weapon / light weapon scale in relation to magic power, not miracle power :(
- got cursed weapon instead of light weapon :(

Still, nothing can really handle 400+ magic attack, I've surprised a lot of invading BPs.

Question: how do resists work? Is it better to have something that does 200 physical and 200 magical, or 400 magical? Or does it matter?

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

SWATJester posted:

-e- NM I figured out with some creative rolling.

Also, what's with the giant glowing blue pit to the left of the giant door in 1-1?

Same with the red-eyed knight in 1-1: an intelligence test.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

fun bug: got soul drained by allant as a blue phantom just after the host died -- lost 2 faith and should have lost a miracle slot, but for some reason the miracle I don't have slots for didn't unmemorize

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

PorkFat posted:

How many enemies in the game can reduce your soul level and remove miracle slots? That sounds like a pain in the rear end.

When you hold X and go into the gestures menu they are described like the following: beckon: "move up" or cheer: "thrust forward right". What do those directional descriptions mean?

Just one in PvE, though technically anyone can do it in PvP if they have the spell.

Those are supposed to be sixaxis gestures but they don't really work

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Just had two Black Phantoms invade at the same time on 4-2, killed them both with one Wrath of God for 40k souls. This is the best game ever.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

oxy posted:

I just recently got this game and its amazing. Everyone singing praises about this thing was right.

Thing is the game seems to be way to hard for me currently so I was wondering if I can get some tips on what to do in this game? For example, is there any key items that I need to grab when I finish 1-1 that will make my life a lot easier, what stats should I level up as I gain levels, where should I go after 1-1, etc.

1-1 has the two best rings in the game: Thief's Ring and Cling Ring. Get them both before continuing to other stages.

As to where you go next, conventional wisdom is to avoid 3 and 5, and don't go to 4 without a blunt weapon.

Anywhere you go you're going to die a lot, so no worries :)

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

Make sure to go to 4-1 and pick up the crescent falchion+1. Its towards the beginning of the level. You will have to fight a red eyed skeleton to get it though. They are pretty tough but if you dodge them and take your time you can beat them straight off the bat. Its a really drat good sword that you can use for at least half of the game without it being too underpowered.

Just spend all your souls, bait him into attacking, and run past him. Even if he kills you, you keep the item and don't lose anything.

But yea, if you're just starting out be aware that 4-1 has pretty much a complete "ascension kit" in items laying on the ground and the armor you can buy from Blige.

And Crescent / Moon weapons are amazing, because *nothing* resists magic damage. Pick up Enchant Weapon from the snobby spell trainer and just melee everything to death.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

the truth posted:

loving Flamelurker gently caress gently caress fffffffuuuuuuuuu

bring phantoms

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

question: what am I going to do with the 99 farmed colorless souls I have now?

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

the truth posted:

Good to know! But I would have guessed that my CT is neutral or leaning toward black.

In soul form you always get a flat +10% to damage IIRC, your CT modifier is on top of this.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Taratang posted:

No mercy. If they want an easy fight they can go offline and kill the lovely NPC boss with dual claws.

no mercy

especially if they bring friend(s)

second chance
wrath of god coming through the fog door
light weapon + blueblood sword
smoke herb 420 every day

no mercy

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Len posted:

And as for bleeding no idea. I'm on the final boss on my ng+ and have only seen the "YOU ARE BLEEDING" warning as my body is collapsing to the ground dead.

bleed damage is the weakest of the 3 DOT effects

plague > poison > bleed

Some basic weapons have inherent bleed effects. Tearing (Suckerstone) weapons also have bleed effects.

A couple of (unique) weapons have inherent poison effects. You can make one with Mercurystone. (Mercury weapons)

I think the Baby's Nail is the only weapon that can give plague.

I'm unsure if a weapon can be enchanted to do two status affects at the same time (I can imagine a Mercury Uchigatana +5 with Cursed Weapon applied would be a terrifying PvP weapon.)

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Aust posted:

Temple Knight is pretty good. You get good armor and health and you start with the talisman of god (which seems harder to find then a catalyst) and a healing spell so you can do some magic.

If you don't start with one, you can grab both a talisman and a catalyst in 5 minutes after you finish 1-1. The talisman in 5-1 on that little platform you can reach after pushing down the plank before the first fog door and the catalyst in 1-2 at the top of the first archer tower.

Flirty Bertie posted:

That's a pretty boring way to fight, to be honest. I'm down with people who bow before the fight though, they're the best (until they cane me).

3 on 1, you have to be boring, three people can put down so much damage

ThursdayBySix posted:

I guess I want to level end and str and vit first

The general rule is to level up str and dex enough to enable you to use your new shiny weapon. For example, it's a reasonable early goal to get up to 22 str so you can use the Purple Flame Shield you should have picked up under the red dragon in 1-1.

End is much more critical than vit, because end helps you stab things, block things, and wear heavier armor. You may have noticed that when you try to roll you clank more than rolling -- this will begin getting you killed in a variety of frustrating ways.

primitive fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 14, 2010

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

ErIog posted:

I can't even imagine what the game would be like with that low of a soul level at this point in the game.

Royal gives the easiest start in the entire game.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Len posted:

Is there a way to cheese the False King to death that doesn't involve poison cloud or trying to shoot him from afar with arrows since I can't seem to connect an arrow to his head

He walks really, really slowly back into his lair if you get out of his aggro radius and he's (relatively) weak to magic weapons. Meat Cleaver + Light Weapon / Sticky White Stuff + backstab

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Spills the Moon posted:

By the way, how do I get past the third reaper in 4-2? Anyone?

Third reaper is easy, just run straight down the hall and hit him with a fast weapon, he'll never get off an attack.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

the truth posted:

I've taken a break from this game after losing 50k+ souls a few days ago to the laser beams and the third reaper in 4-2. No matter what I do I cannot get that guy. If I get close enough to lock on he attacks, and by that point I don't have enough free space for evading.

Don't lock on to the third reaper. Get a long sword or something that has a big sweep for its R1 attack, put fire attack on it so it stuns, and just come around the corner swinging, any hit you get on him will interrupt his spell casting.

Alternatively, run *past* him and down the hall; he'll try to soul arrow you in the back, but you can block it and survive with Dark Heater Shield +2 / Dark Silver Shield / Adjudicator's and then arrow him to death from the bottom of the stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Random Hajile posted:

If you've beaten 1-1, it doesn't make much difference. You can take the brass telescope you got for rescuing Ostrava to the crow in 4-1 to get a Fragrant Ring.

Eh Crescent weapon is probably better, only wear Fragrant Ring if you somehow find yourself in body form; Thief Ring is almost always a better choice.

• Locked thread