Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

neetengie posted:

Shrine of Storms has all the loot you could ever need, the Crescent Falchion is busted because magic damage lol, Adjudicator's Shield is great because of the Damage reduction and HP regen, there's a Regenerator Ring there as well, and the first boss soul of the world makes an amazing Str/Faith weapon that is busted. Just keep in mind to be aware of your surroundings and such. Magic is OP, but melee is still good.

Bah, magic. Just get yourself a Guillotine Axe and make it Crushing. Behead everything! :black101:

(Though a Soul Arrow here and there never hurts...)

Actually, that was always what felt like the biggest difference to me. In DeS you can out just a few points into magic and have a good side option. Soul Arrow/Homing Soul Arrow pretty much carried me through the game for the places where my weapons didn't. In DaS and DaS 2 magic feels completely useless until you get you INT into the 40's and use the high end spells.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

oldpainless posted:

gently caress the Armor Spider! gently caress it!!!! gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKF!~!~!!!!

What are you having trouble with? AS is pretty easy once you get its pattern down.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

oldpainless posted:

It hits me with that web which slows me down and then it just spams fireballs over and over. I make mistakes on dodging which is my fault but I can't even see anything half the time because the fireballs brighten up the whole screen so I just roll hoping its at the correct time and not into the path of another fireball or web.

I should probably just not play it for a day or two.

Yeah, the web is a bitch. Really not much you can do but dodge better and have a good shield to block the fireballs if you get caught.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

I started playing Demon's Souls on my brother's PS3 after finishing both Dark Souls on PC, and everything was great until Stonefang Tunnels :mad:

That Armored Spider pissed me off so much because I kept wondering if there's a trick to the fight, got tired and ended up just bashing him on the head with my claymore.

Speaking of which, it seems like either I'm approaching the game from the wrong angle (since some mechanics are different than DkS) or my weapon just sucks because in Stonefang it takes a lot of effort to kill stuff. That one message said use piercing attacks so I did but then both Armored Spider and Flamelurker came and it took forever to kill them. I think I used someting insane like 30 moon grass on Flamelurker, but I beat him on first try :smug:

Compared to DkS it seems like more bosses have their own gimmick or require certain weapon/attack type/etc. Still can't get used to it. In Dark Souls I took the Large Club, pumped it to +15 and everything died.

Not to mention the stone farming, still reconciling with having to actually farm grey stones if I ever want to see my Crushing Claymore go past +3.

Last thing, it seems like I've seen 0 spell so far, is it because I'm doing the areas in a clockwise direction starting from the Boletarian Palace?

Two basic spell merchants are chilling out on either side of the Nexus behind the stairs. You have to find and save the other three.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Magus42 posted:

Am I understanding some of the tips here right? Can you jump ahead a bit as far as Archstones go?

i.e. you're all saying to do 4-1, can you do that before beating 2/3?

I only got to play for an hour or two last night and didn't try going beyond 1-1/1-2

Yep! In fact you should bounce around to find sweet loot.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I think I need to rethink my stance on heavy armor. On a whim I decided to play a Temple Knight while keeping the armor, and between the damage reduction the blessed equipment effect the regeneration miracle and my massive healthbar, I'm more or less immortal.

Only time I've gone fast roll is against the Flamelurker. Been against everything else.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 1, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Royal is far and away the best starter class. Armor isn't really that big a deal. I've always been partial to the Meat Cleaver and Blueblood Sword as far as weapons go.

Have fun grinding for upgrade materials.

Speaking of those, nobody will think badly of you if you use the copy glitch on them.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Any opinions on the Rune Sword and shield? I kind of want to make a build around them, but from what I hear I'd be better off just magic enchanting literally anything else, and I can never tell if people on the internet are just being forthright about something that sucks or just grossly overacting about optimization.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oi, that sucks, I always though they both looked cool. Oh well, might as well do that moonlight build then.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

Thanks for the tips! I switched to a decently upgraded long sword which can take them out in 3 hits, that's good enough for me. I managed to slog my way through to the end and kill the Adjudicator but then I found a secret passage and some super crazy black skeleton chopped me to pieces, seems like he had waaay more health than the other black skeletons I met so far. Since I couldn't find out how to continue I went to 2-1 and proceeeded to kill the Armored Spider, currently killing bugs.

So far I really love the tone of the game but I kinda hate the tendency, which is even worse because friend told me it supposedly constantly shifts according to other people's tendencies or something. That's pretty lovely. And the upgrade material system combined with item encumberance is making me want to scream in anger sometimes.

The general tendency is a mix of the server's neutral state, and a combination of all other players on the server. The servers are set to Not Quite White and at this point, most of the people still playing are pretty drat good at the game, so even if you really darken you're world it will go back to whitish pretty fast if you leave the world. If you're looking to go to a specific state though, you want to go offline.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Fifteen of Many posted:

Flamelurker :wtc:

Is this one of the two bosses mentioned that gives people trouble because :stare:. I've almost killed him twice now (ended up grinding a couple of levels to get soul arrow on my lil soldier since straight melee seems to be right out) and am using the pillars to play keep away. Does he have some kind of berserk when he's low HP? It seems like my last couple of tries he's one or two soul arrows away from dead but he goes into this frantic combo mode where it's just nothing but fire all the time and I'm stunned until dead.

You want a really high upgraded weapon for him, with some SWS slathered on it for more damage.

Though there is a trick if you have enough spice with them Soul Arrows. When you start the fight,goad him towards you. Then, run past him to the stairwell behind him, run up it, and place yourself in the back corner behind the debris. You may have to do this a few times, but when you do it right, it shatters his AI and you're free to hit him with ranged attacks with impunity. Just be ready to dodge out of the way and restart the cycle if his AI fixes itself for a second.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Nah, False King is harder than either of those assuming you aren't abusing Poison Cloud.

Man, I don't know why the Hell everyone considers False so difficult, he's never once managed to actually kill me. You'd have to face six of them at on e with a broken sword to make him half as difficult as the Flame Lurker.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

You haven't really beaten Demon's Souls until you get through NG+ with melee only. Serious post.

Probably shouldn't use any shield as good as Knight's or better really either.

I've done that. It's significantly easier than the base game since you're starting off with a kickass weapon

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

No 2H polearms, perpetual pancaking, or other broken bullshit obviously.

+5 Crushing Guillotine Axe. No need for gimmicks, power is all you need.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Huh, this kinda reminds me... wasn't there something about Smough eating people in some dark souls item description?

Adjudicator kinda reminds me of Smough now that I think about it. They were both executioners sorta, right?

Smough takes the bones of the people he executes and grinds them up for spice. He started doing that primarily to prove he was Hardcore Edgy enough to hand out with the 4 Knights.

That plan didn't work.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Fun fact! That Anti-Magic Barrier?

It works on bosses.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Jose posted:

yeah i went back. Finished the game now but missed old king doran despite getting the key. I'm not sure if its shorter than other souls games or I just know what im doing now but i finished in under 20 hours

Well, Demon's could be the shortest of any of the games considering you only need to finish 2 worlds.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I remember Tumblr had a Back To Lordran event a while back, maybe we should have a Back To Boletaria. Just one week where we all start a new file and get one last round of griefing and Monking on.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

That becomes less dumb if you get the Blueblood sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
DeS is also a lot less balanced than the later games. Grass is plentiful and easily ground, healing weapons and armor are incredibly powerful, magic hits like a loving truck even at low levels and requires very little investment to use, magic restoring spice is so common that you can spam it all day, and the open world makes it easy to get a lot of really good poo poo really early even by accident.

It also still has the item copy glitch that lets you break the game wide open, so that's fun.

• Locked thread