Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I beat the False King super early in the game because I thought 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4 was supposed to be the natural progression (no, the fact that 1-3 was locked off did not tip me off). So I think I cleared Stonefang and killed Leechmonger and that's all before going all the way though World 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I also did not understand the utility of the Thief's Ring, so Old Hero was by far the hardest fight in the game for me. How lucky for me that, regardless, it happens to be the worst boss run too

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Bow + run was the method I ended up using but it was far from trivial, I often got hit when running between ends of the arena between shots

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

disjoe posted:

Demon’s Souls is weird this way because I feel like it’s the only Soulsborne in which the levels are categorically harder than the bosses.

The one exception I can think of is Maneaters, and that’s only because the run to Maneaters is piss easy.

The only other super tough boss is Flamelurker? But the run to him is just as tough as the fight.

For all the other Soulsborne games, I can vividly remember running the levels over and over to refight the boss. Not this one; once I get to the boss I’m relieved because the hard part is over.

Flamelurker run-up is easy if you just run past everyone. For me that was the moment of realization that running past enemies is an option to consider.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Got the Monk's Head Collar last night

It was the main reason for my current playthrough so it was a little anticlimactic to 3-shot the poor host with my Meat Cleaver (incidentally it's also my first time using the Meat Cleaver, holy poo poo is that easy mode)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Demon's Souls just has two types of parry, right? Buckler/parrying dagger and everything else? It's not like Dark Souls where Buckler is better than small shields are better than medium shields?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Flac posted:

I like to think the Buckler is better for parries cause I have more luck with it, and the description says it is, but I'm not 100% sure about it.

Does anyone between soul level 43 and 63 wanna get summomed as the Old Monk for my friend to fight? He'll be playing for a next few hours and I'd like to surprise him with a PvP boss.

I'm available if you're still looking, SL55 on NA server. PSN is Comrade_Phelix

Also, I'm wondering if someone would let me kill them a couple of times in Stonefang, I messed up my WT. I'll drop you soul consumables to make up for the level loss

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Flac posted:

Sorry if you're still there, we had internet problems but we're ready to do it. I'm bludzu on PSN, US servers (thanks for mentioning that Amppelix). And we'll let you kill us in Stonefang if you want.

Will add you in 5 min, then Ill put on some gear that won't be too cheesy, don't wanna 3 shot him with meat cleaver

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
It's the most obtuse (especially if you played the games in release order) but also the simplest, so the feeling of mastery is easiest to come by and contrasts the most starkly with a blind first playthrough

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
If you started as Royal, used a wiki, and are still complaining, just stop now and forever

And yes the upgrade system is worse

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Lork posted:

It's kind of interesting that it's all about combining overpowered spells with ill considered but technically intentional stacking damage multipliers while the Dark Souls one is a non stop procession of wacky glitches. I wonder if that means Demon's Souls is actually less sloppily made than Dark Souls, or if it just isn't as necessary to abuse glitches like that due to the multipliers being so out of control.

Oh man how little you know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_kOPKW-ac4

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I'm kicking myself for not getting a screenshot of this but I had a save get so corrupted that my guy was a floating head with zero SL and zero in all stats and no items

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
They used to set world tendency to PW for Valentine's day, maybe they'll do it one last time

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I'm looking for someone to invade me so I can get PWCT on this playthrough (invaded as Old Monk so I think I need to kill one extra BP to undo the damage). SL49 NA, message me on PSN "ComradePhelix"

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

dis astranagant posted:

It was Demons' Souls, as in several demons possessing several souls.

Says who? The game is called Demon's Souls, as in a singular demon possessing multiple souls, and there is no official reason for believing the title was intended to or should be anything else.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Charles Bukowski posted:

This is the dumbest argument in games.

It really isn't? It has plot significance and Demon's Souls is the least stupid Souls game to talk about when it comes to plot because it's the most complete, unambiguous plot.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Still looking for an invader to let me kill them so I don't have to go into NG+ to get the DBS. SL55 NA, ComradePhelix on PSN

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

...! posted:

For the exact same reason that Nintendo won't license Mario and Zelda games to Steam. They explicitly do not want IP they own on PC.

I feel like we're talking in circles here because I'm pretty sure we just explained this.

You obviously really enjoy educating everyone about this point so I don't know why you're complaining that people keep asking the question.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

ymgve posted:

My test server emulator is up, though population is mostly zero. If you want to help testing, change your PS3 DNS settings to 212.71.239.147 before booting up the game.

Thank you so much for this man, hope more people hear about this. Did you sit on this until the official shutdown or did the timing just happen to work out that you were done at the same time as the official servers?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
video game journalism was a mistake

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Amppelix posted:

Because they wanted to share what they thought was an interesting perspective?

I dunno why y'all are going at this article. I don't agree with it either but it didn't hurt anyone, did it

It's not an interesting perspective, it's some English major drop out grasping at an excuse to write a ham fisted paragraph about loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I'm watching a DeS speedrun and I just learned that there are boss skips. Curious that the trigger for the endgame is "all archdemons" and not "all bosses". Does anyone know if the archstones for the skipped bosses still activate?

• Locked thread