Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
All I have left to do is 5-2 and 1-4 but I can't get anywhere on either. I can't dodge in 5-2 and my character is a thief so he can't really just stand there and fight. 1-4 is just bullshit. This is the first time I've really gotten "stuck".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Industrial
May 31, 2001

ActionPlatypus posted:

I must admit, this game has had my interest piqued since the moment the first topic was made. I love the look of it, and from the rest of the goons have been saying, it's a solid game. Been seriously considering ordering it soon. I do have a question, though: Does the game start bone-crushingly hard, or does it sort of rise in difficulty gradually, but that difficulty is higher than most games?

My 2 cents. The game is very hard but not insanely so like Ninja Gaiden or God Hand. What makes it REALLY hard is that it is just so different from other gaems that you basically have to adopt an entirely new playstyle to get anywhere due to the save system, death penalty, enemy strength, etc. There really is no "uber build" in this game, and you really have to seriously consider at many points whether you want to press on or go back and spend your souls. Once you figure the game out it goes from extremely hard to merely harder than average. The difficulty is pretty constant throughout the game, it's your skill and understanding that fluctuates.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

How do I get more L. splinters of shrpstone?

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Ryven posted:

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

The easiest way would to be just buy them off the 2-2 vendor. But the mini-phalanxes in world 1, and the miners in world 2 drop them as well. Some of the earlier chapter 1 and 2 geckos seem to drop them as well.

Patches the Hyena? He doesn't sell them.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

So I upgraded my winged spear +7 to a scraping spear and it's attack power dropped. Am I missing something here?

Industrial
May 31, 2001

McCoy Pauley posted:

I've noticed this as well. I think the rating of the bonus for Dexterity increases, so there's that, but yeah, I'm still not sure the Scraping Spear was a good use of my Winged Spear +7.

Weird, my dex is 28.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

nominal posted:

So, how tough is New Game+ really? Is it something that you can seriously screw yourself on by somehow managing to beat the first pass through too early? That is, will I regret not staying in normal and farming absolutely everything feasible before beating the game?

Souls gained is way increased on NG+ as well as difficulty so you should be fine. Farming would be faster in NG+ anyway if you do need to.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Something weird is happening with this game. I got inspired to make another run through after playing some Kings Field and after clearning 1-1 my newbie thief who I just created today somehow has Miralda's Guillotine Axe, the Master's Ring, and pure white world tendency for all 5 worlds. The gently caress? I never even picked them up, they just appeared in my inventory. I haven't even entered Miralda's area yet.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

victrix posted:

There's some bug in the US version that's causing full white tendency (and apparently miralda gear!) to appear for some people. That'd explain the people saying they haven't encountered the dragons in 1-1 also

I actually have the Asian version though...

Industrial
May 31, 2001

I figured out where my mystery Guillotine Axe came from. The soldier who bursts out from behind a door just beyond where you save Ostrava in 1-1 now drops it. At least he has for me twice in a row. That HAS to be a bug.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

I just had the weirdest experience in this game. I was just starting 3-2 when a black phantom broke in. I saw him behind me and started running after him and we ended up chasing each other around a pillar for like 2 minutes. I eventually noticed he was making no effort to attack me at all so I stopped moving and he bowed and dropped an item, which turned out to be an old monks collar. I picked it up and put it on, then he put his on, and we both started emoting with our giant turban hats. Then he unequipped all his stuff and started punching me, which did no perceptable damage. We had this little bitch fight for another couple minutes but eventually I wanted to get on with the level and I didn't really trust rhis guy so I pulled out my Keel Smasher +3 and two shotted his naked body back to the nexus. It was funny, but weird.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

I think dying to a player in body form as a black phantom gives white tendency. I just went from mostly black to mostly white in world 4 due entirely to 2 failed invasions.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

I prefer the Keel Smasher to the Meat Cleaver. It is a little harder to get but unless you have high Dex it's probably going to be stronger and it has better range.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Hamburger Test posted:

Only if you enchant it with magic or turpentine/sticky white stuff.

Hmm, for me Keel Smasher has 369 attack power while Meat Cleaver has 295. My Keel Smasher is +2 but it was more powerful even before that which is why I upgraded it.

30 Str
16 Dex
10 Magic
16 Faith

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Golgozor posted:

Ugh, I haven't looked in the wiki in awhile. Somebody help me find the list of things the colorless demon soul can upgrade. I cannot find it (the list that just had colorless upgrades) anymore.

Colorless demon's souls upgrade any unique weapon or shield. Anything you have crafted using a Boss demon soul plus special weapons/shields like Keel Smasher or Adjudiactor's shield.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

MMD3 posted:

I've got the purple flame shield, is it safe to pour all of my upgrades into it or will I be finding a better shield soon?

I literally used the Purple Flame Shield from 1-1 to the last boss.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Umm...first boss spoiler I guess?

I'm fighting this ... thing that has a bunch of those blobs with shields attached to it. I took it on for like 5 minutes, just trying to attack poo poo, but was eventually taken out. Any trick to getting behind them? I also added flames to my spear via an item but it didn't seem to do too much.

Use firebombs to take out large chunks of them. Dodge a lot, hide behind pillars if you need to heal.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

french lies posted:

Here's a few things you can do:
- Start the battle by circling around the room and picking off stray slimes.

- When you get the chance, throw firebombs at the Phalanx to damage groups of them.

- After you have killed enough slimes you'll see a huge glowing weak point which you should attack with a turpentine-covered weapon for best results.

- Be patient and don't drop your guard. The fight takes a bit of time but if you're careful he shouldn't give you that much trouble.

Good luck! I know you were skeptical about the game so it's interesting to see your reaction to it.

Also once you kill all the slimes you have essentially won. Phalanx itself (the big glowing part) cannot actually attack you. Just focus on killing the little slimes that shoot spears and you win, after that you can punch him to death if you want.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Loofa08 posted:

This thread is too long... I love this game. I've never been driven to play something this hard without giving up. I'm currently stuck on the Flamelurker in 2-2. My biggest problem and gripe is that it's nearly impossible for me to get my soul back. Whenever I enter another players world as a phantom, they never know which way the boss is. And we spend hours in those god drat tunnels. They also get hit by that explosive mining cart every loving time. I fail to see how this is remotely fair. The only time you can enter someones game is when it's their first time playing the level? Of course they're going to die. Also I'm never able to kill other players. What I've been doing is just grinding souls in other players game. It's pretty great that you get to keep your souls even if you die. If it wasn't for that, I'd pretty much be screwed right now.

If you are confident that you can beat flamelurker in human form you can use a stone of ephermal eyes to revive yourself. Also 2-2 is probably the longest level in the game, if you want to revive by being a blue phantom I would try a shorter, simpler level like 1-2 or 4-1.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

MMD3 posted:

somehow I managed to kill flamelurker my first time in 2-2 in human form... thanks likely to over-preparing with the flame resist gear and having two awesome blue phantoms that knew exactly what to do.

Making it to him with 2 blue phantoms intact is a miracle unto itself.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Loofa08 posted:

I used all my ephermal eyes and they never seem to drop. And with the whole trying eariler levels thing, it seems like I can never join other players games in earlier levels. Does this have something to do with the fact that I'm higher level? Cause if I could go kill the boss in 1-1 to get my soul back things would be SOOOOO much easier. Also, I see a lot of people talking about getting better items from crafting them. All I can ever do is increase my halberd to halberd+1 and so on. I have an assload of ore in my bank, but I have no clue how to use it.

Another quick question, is there a way to fight bosses over?

You can't help in 1-1 unless you are newgame+ because everyone there is in soul form if they haven't killed Phalanx yet. You can only join as a blue phanton if someone:
A) is in human form AND
B) has not killed the boss of that area
People can only summon phantoms that are close to their level, so you might be too high for most people in 1-2. I would try 4-1, it's very short and has a pretty easy boss.

The only way to fight a boss you've already killed, other than newgame+, is as a phantom in someone elses game.

As for crafting, there is a better smith in 2-1 who can do some pretty nice upgrades.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

victrix posted:

http://www.justin.tv/evilgamer

Stream going live, from near the start. Asian version - haven't played in a long time, so there should be plenty of horrible deaths.

What the gently caress are all those ambient sound effects? I've never heard any of those.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

How in the name of god do I kill Allant?

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Hackan Slash posted:

He's easy if you remember 3 things:

1. If he's rearing back to charge you, roll straight into him when he does.

2. If he lights up for the supernova, hit him immediately

3. Everything else circle strafe.

A shield is useless, so always keep a catalyst there so you can tag him with a long range attack. He's rather easy if you do that and follow those 3 rules.

Oops, I meant Doran not Allant.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

victrix posted:

Still streaming if anyone wants to see the game in action

http://www.justin.tv/evilgamer

Trying to decide which of my two least favorite areas to tackle next

You are tearing through this game. Some weirdos in the chat though.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

A demo would be pretty useless I think. The controls are defiantly not poo poo and it's not hard in the same way Ninja Gaiden is if thats any consolation. I loving hate ninja gaiden, I think its cheap and infuriating and I love DS (its pretty infuriating sometimes but not in the same way)

I agree, Ninja Gaiden I consider to be a horrible game and Demons Souls is one of my all time favorites.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Ahahaha my soul level 78 character accidentally whacked the Maiden in Black with my Keel Smasher today and it instakilled her. Thankfully she comes back, I was in a near panic. At least the game has SOME boundaries of gently caress-you-ness.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Did they change the location of the 2-1 Primeval Demon? He's not under the rock throwing guys for me anymore and I know I'm at pure black because Scirvir just murdered me.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Vivix posted:

How do I get pure white tendency in a world where I have already defeated all bosses/black phantoms/primeval demon?

New game +

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Euphoriaphone posted:

loving Playstation Network. Can anyone connect right now? The PS3 says my internet is working, but that the PS Network connection test failed. I hate playing Demon's Souls without online play. I always have problems with this piece of poo poo system, even though I use a wired connection.

Edit: Actually, I just realized something happened to me at the end of 3-1: I killed the dredgling (sp?) that heals the Fool's Idol and grabbed the key off the wall. When I went back to save Sage Freke though, it still gave me the "This door appears to be locked" message. I ran back to make sure I grabbed the key, and yup, I did. After that I went to fight the boss, and I was dropped from online play (though it didn't boot me back to the main screen like what normally happens). There were some messages on the ground at the boss, but none had the rating next to them, so I assume they were NPC messages. I stopped playing after that, and just went back to play and got the connection error. I was able to play online for 2 minutes, but then it dropped me and booted me to the main menu. Is it possible I glitched my game somehow?

Check your inventory to make sure you have the key. Also are you sure you are opening the right cell? There are actually two NPCs trapped in cells in 3-1, one you cannot help until later.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Thanatos Mazus posted:

Has anybody found the fluted armor on 3-1? The wiki says it's near the legion enemy, but I have checked every cell and busted every urn, chair, and skull that I can find without finding the armor.

If I remember right it's just laying on the floor in the open area across the wide part of the hallway from where Legion was.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Thanatos Mazus posted:

I thought that's where I picked up a silver coronet, but I didn't see any fluted armor at all. :smith:

Hmm, you know there are two "sections" of that floor right? One before Legion and one after. Wish I could remember better than that but I do know it's not in a cell.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Thanatos Mazus posted:

Yeah. I tore that whole floor apart looking for it. I guess it was either part of the kite shield pickup that I missed due to encumberedness or something like that. :smith: I really want out of this brushwood.

You can get the gloom armor in 3-2 which is just as good.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

God of Evil Cows posted:

This would be cheating and a dick move, but can you just quit/load your current game or sign off the PSN network to avoid being killed by an invading black phantom? Are there repercussions to doing this?

Also can you play offline and online in the same game and keep all progress from both offline and online play?

Yes and yes. No repercussions that I have seen.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

charismaslover posted:

I've got the regen ring and shield, I just hate the loving giant trolls that I can barely dodge in the swamp since I can't roll and I keep on getting invaded every 5 seconds. Good thing I keep a scraping spear handy.

Run away from them and make them follow you to an island where you can dodge. You can still outrun them and lure them to more favorable territory.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Just a little FYI, some monsters do attack you when you are a black phantom. Both dragons do, as well as some of the demon miners in 2-1 and 2-2 for some reason, so be aware of that. There is no apparent logic to which monsters do and do not attack you.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

evilalien posted:

What level scaling? As far as I know the game has no level scaling at all though the world tendency will affect how hard things are. You are going to have to down a lot of spices, but those are dirt cheap anyways. You should have enough of a Mana pool so that you don't have to do it constantly at least.

A while back people mistakenly assumed there was level scaling, I'm guessing their world tendency had darkened which caused monsters to be stronger and they misattributed it. There is 100% for sure no level scaling, but world tendency does effect monster toughness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Vita posted:

Are you sure there's no level scaling? I remember one of my first runs through the game when I tried to get the DBS as soon as possible, I had leveled my strength up to 20 and flamelurker was hard as hell to soul arrow to death. It must've taken me at least 20 tries, and yet now when I'm at SL1 I can solo him my first try.

That's because every time you died the world tendency darkened and he got harder. Also you are better at the game now.

• Locked thread