Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Oh man, thanks for making me feel like a giant rear end in a top hat, Demon's Souls. What a bummer. I just walked up to the boss to talk and then-no I don't wanna talk about it. :smith:

Too bad I don't have 16 STR for that shield, it looks nice. I swapped out my helm and gauntlets for the Dark Silver pieces, and combined with the Shaman pieces I look hilarious and intimidating!

Oh, and CAUGHT THE PLAGUE was the most surprising thing ever. I expected and was prepared for poison, but nope! It's even worse that I saw a bunch of items in there so I'm going to have to go back in.

Edit: ha, that dude totally respawns, I didn't expect that. That was a surprise!

EC fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I have tried to beat 1-4 for the last 3 hours. Between the red eye knights and the dragon, I've only made it to the boss twice. :( I need to kill this loving dragon already. I started making a sticky bow, but I'm broke and have used all my consumable soul items already.

I think I'm going to take a break. I was trying to power through since this is the only level I haven't beaten yet, but it will just have to wait until tomorrow.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Novum posted:

Yo, what SL are you? I can waste that dragon for you.

68, I think. I'd love some help on the dragon, man. I'll be on tomorrow evening for sure, and then randomly throughout the week.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

FrickenMoron posted:

Its actually rather easy to walk past the dragon. On the stairs to the boss his breath goes from left to right and right to left. You can run through it that way once you know one side is safe.

That's an excellent tip! Still, having a DeS pro come in and kill the thing for me will be satisfying as well. :)

I took a look through the platinum trophy guide guide this morning and holy poo poo, this looks hard as hell. Is this guide the most accurate/up to date? I'm planning on collecting as much as possible in this run, but I'm going to ignore miracles as I want to do a STR/FTH run for that.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Huge thanks to Novum for killing that stupid dragon for me. Even with his tricked out bow it took a few minutes, but now at least I can consistently get to the boss! :)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Novum posted:

No worries buddy, if you were a few levels higher I'd have been able to show you some real pro level cheesing with my mage dude! Hit me up when you're in the SL 120 range and I'll give you some ballin' equips for your spellsword if you want.

Will do! What's the SL range for summoning? +/- 10%?

I finished the game! I have all sorts of questions, but I'm going to do some research first, as I'm sure the game has been talked to death by now.

Now that I'm in NG+, I don't see the maiden anywhere. Does she not appear until I kill the first boss? I didn't remember that, but it was 40 hours and a LOT of months back. :)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Alabaster White posted:

Yeah, you have to kill Phalanx. Good luck not dying twice in a row until then :v:

Managed to do it without dying once! I love the feeling if starting NG+ and being pretty OP in the beginning stages.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ineffiable posted:

You're gonna have to beat the game 3.5 times.

Also, for the trophies like +5 sharp (bladestone) you can just borrow someone who has the weapon. The trophy pops as soon as you pick it up, so you can give it back afterwards.

If you're hardcore enough, you should plat the game 3 times (totally possible to do on one account).

Yeah I'm not gonna plat it three times. :) I'm in the process of platting Dark Souls on the ps3 when I've already done it on the 360.

I don't mind playing through again, as this first time was pretty blind and I'd like to do it with a guide to see what I missed along the way.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Nah, gotta be Blighttown and the Anor Londo archers.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

woodenchicken posted:

That's a shame. Still, I guess I'll try running around in body form a bit more once I find more... body items and get a weapon I really like.

I just finished a playthrough recently and ran around in body form quite a bit, and only had two invasions in 30-40 hours.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Alteisen posted:

Ok so I restarted as royalty, so far so good.

What should I be dumping souls into? Was thinking a bit of magic since the crescent falchion scales with it.

VIT/END/MAG. Don't make the same mistake I did and put a bunch of points into INT thinking it was the same as Dark Souls. :downs:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Just watched the first SL1 NG+7 PBWT play through, and I'm seriously impressed. Makes me want to get back to my NG+ playthrough.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I just got a flight confirmation for a trip last night and the first four letters of the confirmation code are PBWT.

...I don't think I wanna be on that flight.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Dark Souls regular HaB is streaming his first playthrough of Demon's Souls right now, if anyone is interested:

http://www.twitch.tv/monkrocker

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ularg posted:

I'm playing this game for the first time after getting a PS3 after putting 265 hours into Dark Souls. Is there any IRC channel or such to ask dumb questions or talk with goons?

#FROMGoons on synirc is the spot. Bunch of DkS/DeS junkies hang out there.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I also just started another play-through. My first one was DEX/MAG, so I decided to go with STR weapons and a handful of miracles to see what the fuss is about. I'm still super early, but I started with a high STR/FTH class (the one with the Halberd), and have finished 1-1 and 5-1. I skipped back to 2-1 to find some ore in order to upgrade my Halberd (it's at +6 now) and randomly got a Mirdan hammer to drop as well (I was told to jump into 5-2 to grab that quickly).

Is there any particular order I should go through the rest of the levels at? I'm going to try and do some world tendency events here and there, if it matters.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Sheep-Goats posted:

The biggest change with a STR heavy guy is the ability to use the very large shields. This basically means that you work the world tendency harder to get the Brushwood shield before Flamelurker which is an amazing experience compared to doing it with the buckler and crescent falchion or whatever. Also the Crushing Executioner's Axe is probably the best close quarters strength weapon for one handed situations, but strength characters have a lot of options.

I was fighting FL last night with the Purple Flame shield, but my natural tendency is to roll so instead of just blocking the hit and taking minimal damage I'd get hit for half my life. :v:

DrBouvenstein posted:

If you're doing a STR build, especially if you're adding in Faith, you should do 4-1 and then eventually make the Meat Cleaver.

It scales with S for STR and DEX, and A scaling for FTH.

And it can be made from an un-scaled club or great club (and you did pick up that great club in 2-1, right?) So no need to waste a bunch of hardstone scaling something up first.

Oh, you do have to beat 2-2 first, though, since Ed won't make any "boss" weapons until after getting the Red Hot Demon's Soul.

Nice, thanks for the advice.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

For any of you that watch the Prepare to Cry series for Dark Souls, VaatiVidya just posted a trailer for the Demon's Souls Lore Series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usivi2jO5LU

Pretty excited about this video series, despite the Dark Souls series kind of getting...I don't know, not great by the end. Bonfireside Chat has started their Demon's Souls season as well, which had been great so far.

Ran through Tower Knight, Penetrator, Fool's Idol, and Maneater today. Latria remains one of my favorite areas in any video game, ever. The transition from 3-1 to 3-2 is loving amazing. 3-2 is probably one of the most suffocating environments ever. Somehow they turned "walking around on high ledges" into "oh gently caress a swamp" at a moments notice. This loving game. :allears:

I was invaded twice in 1-3, and three times on 3-2. Seems like there's still a fairly active population out there.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
If anyone wants to hook up for the Old Monk fight, let me know: NotECEC. I really want to do the fight "for real" this through. I've been trying to invade people for it, but haven't had much luck. Not really sure what an appropriate level is, though. I'm SL61 right now.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Sheep-Goats posted:

Old Monk tips:

Good luck, it was hard back in the day too.

1) Want to be monk? Kill Maneater and go past him to the beginning of the steps. Put down a blue sign in the small permissable area there and wait. The blue sign is enough for the monk to summon you in, you don't have to sit there spamming the invade stone. As the monk you will get a generous life bar along with your usual loadout -- if you were in soul form and wearing cling when summoned you will get the bonus to that bar, which is a buttload of HP. I suggest not just face smashing him when he walks in, play with him a bit first. In the end though you won't get that cool monk hat without winning.

1.5) Your victim often gets killed on his way to you coming up the steps. Oh well, free hat.

2) Want to fight human monk? Be lucky. If you can't skip the cut scene you've got a human.

Well, I set my blue sign down and got summoned as the monk in about five minutes. Unfortunately the host died on the way up, but I've got a swanky new hat. Sign is down again, so hopefully it wasn't just a fluke.

I ran across Old King Doran for the first time today and that dude wrecked me.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm getting summoned to be the Old Monk constantly. I think I'm on my fifth or six fight. Some of them don't ever make it to the fog door, but whatever.

What do I do with all these Monk hats?!

Thanks for the advice on Doran.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

...! posted:

He was referring to the fact that the guy cheesed the fight instead of taking Doran head-on.

Nah, it's a pretty common meme around the Dark/Demon's Souls community. I don't really have a problem with it, though. :shrug:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZr8jdzzDes

Can someone more familiar with Demon's Souls "lore" (such as it is) tell me if there's anything in game that supports Allant going to the Nexus?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

human being Guy posted:

So, downloaded Demon's Souls from PS+ a long time ago for the purposes of finally grinding out that pure bladestone. I traded in my physical copy a few months back, and just last night have finally loaded the game up..... It appears to have a different trophy list than my other version!! So now I have one DS sitting at 97% that will likely never be finished and a new one to start all over on. sigh, the real Demon's Souls starts here I suppose.

Did you download it from a different region than the physical copy was from? I understood it to be work with the same saves/trophy sets.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Also remember that this upgrade materials count against your carry weight. Dump them with Stockpile Thomas when you go back to the Nexus (you'll still be able to use them without putting them back in your inventory, thankfully).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Genocyber posted:

Probably. There's also a dragon god look-a-like. Though you can't really take any meaning from it as it's likely Fromsoft has had little to do with the comic. From what I understand these tie-in advertising comics for games tend to have little to do with the actual product itself so

So basically you're saying Demons Souls 2 is confirmed.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Electromax posted:

Google didn't do much for me here, can you elaborate in this at all? I'm curious.

Search for "illusorywall" on tumblr. He did some great writeups of gibbed's stream where he (gibbed) starting pulling up unused data/models from the debug menu. It'll even have links back to the archive stream in case you want to watch it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

axeil posted:

I beat Dark Souls a month or two ago and I've gotten the itch for more Dark Souls-style adventures before Dark Souls 2 comes out so I picked up Demon's Souls on PSN the other day.

I'm playing a dex and magic based royal and I've made it through 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1 so far. I thought starting at soul level 1 would make the game more challenging but I've yet to die to a boss, so I guess not? :confused: Well, I died to the tutorial boss but I'm pretty sure you can't kill him. And I've died to nearly every pack of dogs in the game (gently caress dogs) and got stomped by a knight with red eyes in 1-1. Otherwise it's honestly felt fairly easy. Maybe that's because I played through Dark Souls already.

I'm still using my starting equipment, except for my shield which I switched to the Spiked Shield. I've also upgraded the starting rapier to a new path and it seems to be working pretty well. I think I upgraded it to quality. It said it has improved scaling for Dex and Str. I doubt that will last me much longer knowing the game, so what sort of weapons and armor should I be on the lookout for? Are there any other useful spells other than soul arrow? The only magical merchant is selling spells that seem really pointless and I don't have a talisman to cast miracles.

Additionally, is there a useless stat that I should never touch like resistance? I've put a point or two into luck and I'm thinking I've made a huge mistake.

Should I continue with world 2 or try the other worlds? I'm kind of annoyed I can't finish world 1 until I've beaten one of the other worlds. I just don't want to go to the Demon Souls version of Blighttown until I have to. gently caress Blighttown.

Oh and I tried killing the Red Dragon in 1-1 but he flew away when he was down to low health and I got really mad. But then I killed him in 1-2 with a million soul arrows. That felt good.

Luck is pretty much the useless stat so don't bother with that.

There is no specific way to play the game so keep trying new worlds and if you feel like you aren't progressing, switch it up.

I found armor in Demon's Souls even more useless than in Dark Souls. There is no poise or midroll, so I always kept my equip load under 50% with whatever looked really cool.

Demon's Souls Blighttown is 5-2 and it's far, far worse. Enjoy.

Edit: oh yeah, I came into this thread for a reason. Here's an album of all the really cool artwork you see during the credits.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Not that it really relates to this thread, but brand spankin' new dark souls 2 thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615786

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

lordfrikk posted:

Thanks for the answers. I think I'll go for a quality build, I think I haven't played a pure dex build before. What's bleed like in DeS? Good/bad?

If I'd chose to stick to the rapier, would it carry me through the whole game? I guess I'm looking for weapon that I wouldn't have to change in the middle of my playthrough because it ran out of steam.

I might poke my head into each of the worlds and see what I can find, when I played for a bit before I went clockwise but I've heard you can get some neat stuff from some of the other worlds early.

Is Blueblood Sword this game's Moonlight Sword?

re: Meat Cleaver, I think I got that weapon off one of the phantoms in the first world but it only unlocked after getting my world tendency down IIRC, can I get it some other way?

Bleed is a slow reduction of HP, as opposed to a large reduction at one time like DS or plain poo poo like in DS2

Damage type is more important in Demon's than in Dark, so although you could get by with a rapier, it would make your life easier if you had a couple of weapons to back you up. Use your rapier until you see enemies not taking much damage from it, then try some others.

Everybody has their own recommended way to go, and yeah, depending on your build you can get some great gear early on that would make your life much easier. Just play around and see how far you get.

No, because this game's Moonlight Sword is the Moonlight Sword, although it's based on FTH and not INT.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Two recs for LPs and neither is fellow goon WanderingNewbie's? Shame on y'all.

EC fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 18, 2014

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Sheep-Goats posted:

Squint uber alles

I liked the Wandering Newbie episode where he got killed like six times in a row by the invader. I tried to invade him a few times but never got through.

Pretty sure that was LotusGramarye, aka Genocyber.

VERY GOOD

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Sheep-Goats did you change DS2's default jump button (pressing down on the left stick) back to DS1's default (pressing B while running)? I did that at first, but later changed it back to LS and have never had a problem jumping since. The timing for shorter jumps (like the Estus upgrade on the way to Chariot) is much more forgiving that way.

And yeah, DeS definitely has the best atmosphere out of the three.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Honestly just look up how the upgrade system works and read the wikis on it. The game does nothing to explain it to you, and there's some weird stuff that you won't notice if you're coming from DkS.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Gibbed, who I think is Rick here, streamed some of the previously unseen areas from the broken arch stone.

http://www.twitch.tv/gibbed/c/6095041

Source: https://twitter.com/gibbed/status/565566858678763520

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Which on you is Potato Marshal?

http://kotaku.com/the-demons-souls-troll-that-made-me-rage-quit-1691764441

Also: :lol:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Saves come over IIRC from when I bought the digital version way back when.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

esperterra posted:

^^^ this

Though I really do want to know what's beyond the broken archstone.

Sony plz

Just go look at the vids on YT. There are a bunch of unused models and a level or two that have been found and documented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Hey, I started a Souls podcast. It's a series of interviews about how people got started with Souls games. It's called Don't Give Up, Skeleton, and I'm looking for more people to interview. If you're interested in being on the show, lemme know: dguspodcast@gmail.com or Twitter.

It's on the usual places you'd find podcasts if you want to get a feel for the show.

OT: I'm getting an itch to plat Demon's. :sigh:

• Locked thread