Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Well, the difficulty didn't get me to stop playing the game, but the pure out-of-this world shittiness of 5-2 did. That level has to be some kind of masterpiece of "how to suck any enjoyment and will to go on out of your player" design. A dark featureless expanse with poisonous ground that drastically impaires your movement abilities. Excellent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Brian Fellows posted:

Instead of asking a billion questions in the "what should I know before I play" thread I'll just take this here.

I just started, know nothing about the game, etc. So I went to the stone of the small king or whatever like the spirit told me to. I'm killing stuff, collecting souls, then getting killed and starting over at the beginning of the level and losing all of my souls.

Is this what should be happening, or should I be running back to the Nexus to spend souls after I get several so I don't lose them again? Also, should I be using these dead people's souls in my inventory to add to my soul stock, or can I hold onto those until I beat this level and then use them (and they won't disappear with the rest of my souls) or what?

I just want to make sure I'm not playing like a retard...

Well, if you go back you respawn all enemies in the level so you kinda lose progress. That's the tradeoff you have to decide on - keep pushing at a risk or go back to spend what you have and having to start over. Personally, I try to at least keep going until either I trigger the next permant state switch (gates etc. don't reset) or until I get an item I specifically came for. I try to avoid grinding if possible. Don't get too upset about losing souls, there's always more. Plus, you can't upgrade your stats until you beat the first boss anyway.

The monumental is one of the dudes sitting on the upper floor, with a lit candle in front of him.

And don't make the same mistake as me once you're about to finish your first playthrough and forget to update your unique weapons before you go to face the final boss. Because it's a point of no return and you automatically get thrusted into New Game Plus, and then you can't update unique weapons again until you beat a certain pretty hard boss.

Edit:

Keep away from the red-eyed dude for now. That side is optional and not needed to progress.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 7, 2011

• Locked thread