Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Kessel posted:

The thread title pretty much sums up the entire loving game. :saddowns:

I'm taking credit for it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Kessel posted:

What the gently caress happened to your avatar?

The Woz...he danced his way into my heart.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

pretend to care posted:

Did anyone else find Maneater comically easy? I was at SL50 and I absolutely butt raped him with two-handing the Crescent Falcion +4 with the thief ring equipped.

Yeah once you learn how to dodge his attacks he is pretty easy. Taking advantage of the brazier in the middle helps too. What does cutting his tail off do though?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

hoodrow trillson posted:

This game is actually a little too good. I can't play it without playing it for like six hours, then when I try to go to bed I can't sleep well because my mind is still going a mile a minute and grinding away meaninglessly.

Games like this make sitting through a work day really, really hard.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

sclark13 posted:

This looks like such an awesome game. I don't know why they had to release it on such an expensive system.

Should have been a Wii game. :rolleye:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

sclark13 posted:

Still its nice to read selected stories from this game. It would probably make a pretty good Lets Play thread.

A few people early on did Death Twitters in the game and there are still (hopefully) a ton of videos in the OP of people playing so that's kind of a Let's Play.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Hey look Eurogamer reviews Demon's Souls and loving loved it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

magical_ape posted:

So all the maps have been removed and a notice put up

Oh no using maps drawn in MS-Paint for a videogame I'd better lawyer up :ohdear:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I thought the game only had emotes? No voice or text message system, where does that line come from anyways?

No you can leave text but what you do is pick from canned pre-made phrases. Like "Look out! There's a ______ up ahead!" and then you'd pick "goblin" from the menu. Well, something like that you get the idea.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I really haven't seen castles done in games quite like Demon's Souls did. The overall design seems more European that most games that actually come out of Europe.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

DatonKallandor posted:

Didn't DS completely sell out multiple times? As I've heard it was a huge commercial success.

Yeah pretty much. The game was basically selling as soon as shipments were coming in and I'm pretty sure import sellers like YesAsia were going nuts trying to fill orders. Game sales were backlogged a good deal for those that imported it if you weren't quick to buy it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Samurai Sanders posted:

I figured it was more because it was low-volume, more so than commercial success in Japan. This just doesn't seem like their kind of game.

It sold almost 40K in its first week in Japan. I have no idea how good or bad that is but it debuted at #2 on the sales charts.

Also this is promising for US sales: http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=8778

quote:

Atlus Inc.'s Demon's Souls for Sony Corp.'s Playstation 3 ranked in the top 10 sales at U.S. retail this week on strong demand for the title.

On Mon., the Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition SKU ranked as the No. 9 best-selling product in Amazon.com's Video Games division.

The title held a 46 percent sales increase in the same period.

This week, the Deluxe Edition w/ Art Book and Soundtrack held a discount price of $66.99, down from the $69.99 MSRP.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Gyoru posted:

The official NA wiki just went live
http://www.demons-souls.com/wiki/

Well that's nice of them.

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Is there any point to smashing all the crates and stuff or should I stop obsessively doing it.

Sweet physics make breaking poo poo fun. :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Oh man now I want to try a dual-wielding thief. You can have more than 1 character right? I don't want it to erase the character I have now.

Yeah you can have a bunch of characters to play around with. That's half the fun actually.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I don't know how you guys can stand to cheese the Tower Knight like that. Besides being harder it's also loving boring to stand on the wall launching poo poo at him. Once you learn his attacks and know how to dodge he's pretty drat easy to kill by running around his legs slicing and blasting. You might have to run for safety every so often but still he's probably the easiest boss overall.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
This game really needs screenshot functionality built in.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Scudocalypse posted:

The other is Dr. Demento, but I'm not sure what that's from.

A shameful confession.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

qbert posted:

Where's the best place to farm for Spiderstones? I need them to create a Viscous Compound Bow. Also, do the crystal geckos respawn at all? They ALWAYS run away from me.

Yeah they appear pretty frequently. Hint: those little fucker love to run towards danger so watch your step while charging and swinging wildly.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Arcaeris posted:

It's almost like a guy playing a cheesy fighting game, he just rolls and rolls and rolls and then you get sliced.

Pro Lizardman strategy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Man I'm hoping so hard that this game sold decently well in the states so that there's even more reason for a sequel. I know FROM software doesn't have a problem pumping out games so I'm remaining hopeful.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Wait a minute, you beat the game once and you didn't know this?! You're stark raving bonkers!

edit: More Eurogamer praise :) http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/games-of-2009-demons-souls-article

Ha! They even referenced the wiki you guys started. Awesome.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Sumixam posted:

Tower Knight is giving me all sorts of problems. I have basically breezed through Phalanx and the arduous path to TK, but I'm just not even cracking the guy at all. I'm at Soul Level 16.

Just run around his feet slashing at his ankles. Once you get used to his patterns it's really easy to dodge his attacks. If you get hit, feel free to retreat to a tower to heal up or recalibrate yourself.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Ugh gently caress I've got this game sitting at home waiting for me and I haven't played since the import. Now I need to figure out what class to play!!

I seem to remember it being pretty easy with a magic user but then I got raped by those laser beam shooting shadow things and couldn't beat that level. :saddowns:

Basically what I'm asking for is a slight nudge in the "do this for the easiest time" direction.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy balls you make it sound so easy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

diospadre posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wC4dceL0HY

Keel smasher supremacy

Holy poo poo.

So I'm trying to do just about pure Mage and I'm having some trouble now. Maneater is raping my face and I feel like the more power I put into magic the harder everything gets with the level scaling and such. Is there any way to play the class without constantly drinking spices?

It looks like I'm pretty much following this build: http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=287is6b&s=5 I wish there were more magic focused armors and weapons.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

evilalien posted:

What level scaling? As far as I know the game has no level scaling at all though the world tendency will affect how hard things are. You are going to have to down a lot of spices, but those are dirt cheap anyways. You should have enough of a Mana pool so that you don't have to do it constantly at least.

I thought the higher your soul level was the harder enemies were. No? Maybe people have figured out the game more from when I last played it but I could have sworn it was advised not to dump too many points into leveling up your dude because everything else got a lot harder. If that in fact isn't the case then gently caress, time to farm some souls and beef up my intelligence.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

evilalien posted:

There is definitely no enemy scaling like that. Enemies becomes far easier the more you level up.

Well that's good to know. Thanks!

Schwack posted:

Thats a pretty unconventional build, I gotta say. I didnt even know there were Machetes/Mexicans in Demon's Souls!

Oh man I wish. :v: Here we go: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds:14

The pure black tenacity stuff is obviously going to be a bitch to get though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Well my goal is basically to just beat the loving game at least once. Right now I'm still rocking the starting magician's robes with the silver wand and would love something better. If in fact that doesn't exist I guess I'll have to beef up my soul level instead.

But yeah last night I got angry at my mage and started a melee character. I really should look at these builds though because I don't know what makes a great PvE melee character either. I think I started a temple knight, ditched the armor, and are now rocking the tattered robes females can wear from 1-1.

e: i like being able to run and dodge

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Man the Yellow Turban Monk boss is a hell of a lot harder when it's controlled by the AI. That sun of a bitch was relentless and I didn't have a second to put up Warding or munch down on any herbs or spice. I also think he might have been resistant to fire because my attacks (both melee and magic) weren't doing jack to him. Hopefully the next time I try there will be some idiot controlling him and I'll just smack him down. :v:

But what's a good low requirement melee weapon and/or shield I should be aiming for? I'm rocking the Dragon Long Sword +1 you find in 2-2 right now and it's pretty great along with the Dark Heater Shield +1. I haven't upgraded anything yet just so I have tons of materials for when I need it. Any suggestions? My dude is primarily magic but I usually have a shield out as well and dispatch weak dudes with melee.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I could have sworn he countered my melee attack once, grabbed me, and almost did an instanta-kill. I was wary of just wailing on him after that.

e: i guess i can finally use some sticky white stuff. hrmmm...

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Kaptain K posted:

If you're focusing on Magic you should be assembling a Crescent weapon ASAP, they do a fantastic amount of damage in addition to giving some paltry MP regeneration. I'd recommend making a Crescent Uchigatana from scratch, Darkmoonstone is very plentiful and a Pure Darkmoonstone is relatively easy to obtain.

Is the Uchigatana really that much better than the Falchion? I already have a Crescent Falchion so upgrading that more would be really simple and wouldn't require me putting any more points into strength and agility. Looking at the Demon's Souls wiki they seem close with the Uchigatana doing 125/133/0 and the Falchion at 112/119/0.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
:drat: But it makes me fight like Hwang from Soul Blade!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Danthrax posted:

The Uchigatana has better reach than the Falchion and (I think maybe) the Kilij, in addition to having a thrust attack. It also looks cooler and if you're a dude you can wear the ancient king's breastplate/arms and the venerable sage's boots and the assassin's mask and you'll look like Reptile from Mortal Kombat. With a katana.

Well I'm sold.

But yeah, the durability thing really won't be an issue. I pretty much repair everything whenever I'm back at the Nexus anyway. It's a paltry fee.

But man, now I'm even planning for New Game+ and I haven't even gotten past where I got stuck with the Asian release back in the day. I'm going to make it my goal to beat this game on Saturday though. I can't stop loving thinking about it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Kaptain K posted:

Yes

edit: Also, if you're primarily a magic using character, you should have a stockpile of 20-30 Old Spices at all times and just quaff them indiscriminately. You can get them from the vendor in 3-1 for 1000 souls apiece so they're very cheap.

I bought a poo poo ton of fresh spices already. It made more sense because a fresh spice does about half of an old spice but at 1/4 the cost at the vendor. Of course during boss battles old spice if much more vital.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
What the hell. After the absolute nightmare that is 5-2 the Dirty Colossus is disappointingly easy. Or maybe mercifully. That dude is a joke.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Notinghamington posted:

gently caress yeah, run around and stab once he's "clean".

Strafe with Fire Spray. Win.

Notinghamington posted:

The final boss will literally leave you disappointed in terms of combat.

That's fine. I'd rather it be cool and rewarding than needlessly frustrating. Maiden Astraea wasn't hard at all (and could have been even easier had I known what to really do) but drat if it wasn't a cool experience.

Osmosisch posted:

The harder the level, the easier the boss (with the exception of Phalanx). At least that's been my experience.

So the 4-2 boss is going to be cake? gently caress the second half of that level so goddamn hard. Great for grinding though.

And speaking of grinding, what should I be putting my points into for a 75% magic, 25% melee character. Right now I have 30 in Intelligence (enough for five slots) and 30 in Magic for spell power and enough in Strength (18) and Dexterity (13) to use my Crescent Ugaboogatana. Should I put anything in Faith for magic defense or Vitality for health or should I really just keep beefing up magic power? Maybe luck?

e: hrmm...apparently i can use the sword one handed but now i dodge all slow and retarded. what do i have to beef up to fix this?

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 8, 2010

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
^^ haha yeah. i actually already knew that though since the description is also kind of his name

Hamburger Test posted:

Get your equipped weight below 50% of the max. I'm guessing you equipped a shield which you didn't have before - take that off, or raise your endurance enough to compensate for the weight of that shield.

Ah. No it's the sword itself. It's heavier than the Dragon Longsword I was using before. Thanks.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
:w00t: worlds 2 - 5 cleared! Now all I have left is 1-4 onward.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Danthrax posted:

And NG+, where the Real Demon's Souls begins!

Oh lord. Is the 1-4 boss the point of no return for leveling my character or am I good to kill him and still grind stuff out before starting the next playthrough? Any super critical poo poo I should know before venturing forth whenever that is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I should definitely hold off then. I've still got Doran to take down but then after that I guess it's just me getting to whatever level I feel I should be to take on NG+ and collect whatever weapons I need. You do get to keep everything from your initial runthrough, right?

• Locked thread