Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
I read every drat word of it ... from right to left. :smug:

The beginning of the book references, events and characters that don’t occur until much later. It almost assumes that you have already read the book or that you will come back once you have. So those are the kind of games it’s going to be playing. Also the many different characters and story lines can make it seem like you aren’t making much headway in the beginning. But, if you are 100 pages in and, not that into it, I’ll tell you now these storylines do not merge together on the way to a final resolution. What you read in the first 10 or so pages about Hal is chronologically the last thing in the book. The separate story lines do start to intertwine and cross over, and things definitely get more interesting story and plot wise, especially when the Les Assassins des Fauteuils Roulants start to show up. But, the book never changes how it does things. I’d say flip to some in the 500’s and just read a little bit. If what you see there doesn’t make you want to put in the work to get there, it may be best if you give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
^^^ Part of the fun on IJ is that the end of the book isn't the end of the story. It loops back to the beginning (circle/infinite), which is more the end of the story than the end of the physical book is.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Kill Your Friends posted:

My personal favorite thing he's ever written is an article about the AVN Adult Video Awards in Las Vegas called Big Red Son. It's really funny and interesting and unlike so many writers he makes me feel like I'm really there seeing everything that he's describing.

You can read the start of the article here- http://btobsearch.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?userid=6U4VyTvCgK&btob=Y&ean=9780316156110&displayonly=CHP#CHP

The full thing is included in the excellent essay collection 'Consider the Lobster'

The best about that peace is that you really somehow care for all the people. It seem like it would have been really easy to write about Max Hardcore and have him seem like an evil villain, perhaps it would have been hard not to do that to him. But the way its written he comes off as a person that you can decide how to feel about, rather than being told how to feel about.

also: anything about him being burdened by his genius is crap, its painfully clear that he was crippled by self doubt and depression

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
I almost suggested it in the "I'm gonna read 52 books" thread but i didnt want to that much of a dick. I know some people had a blog going and were trying to read it in 30 days. I think they missed by 2 days.

It certainly takes a while for all the different parts to be introduced, and then start to fit together as a story. Somethings purposefully never really do.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
I work at a university, so during the summer my job is a joke, because it entirely related to how many students are here. My first summer I read all of Harry Potter. I've read a few stories from Girl with the Curious Hair and Oblivion some I'm going to try and finish one of those up. Probabaly Hair because gently caress, Oblivion is depressing and a little daugnting for summer time reading - tiny rear end print, razor thing margins and no paragraph breaks for miles. So many pages are unforgiving walls of text.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Edged Hymn posted:

Can anyone direct me to some good discussion on Oblivion? It's beautifully written and all, but the endings of every story so far have zipped over my head - especially the title story, what the hell?

There isnt much out there, if you have a university or library with JSTOR or something similar there is a review/critic of it in - The Hudson Review, Vol. 57, No. 4 (Winter, 2005).

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
For anyone that has read THE GIRL WITH THE CURIOUS HAIR and didn't know, or didn't bother to look up Kieth Jarrett he is real and he does just improvise entire concerts; like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPqK1JJOFxw

I kept meaning to see if he was a real person and then i saw him in a NMD thread.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

PRI Caulk posted:

and while the writing was pretty clever, I kept getting pissed off at DFW for appearing to really enjoy his own cleverness at the expense of something I would want to bother reading. Nothing seemed genuine.

I honestly would like to know what you mean by this because I've heard other people and critics talk about it and don't know what they mean.

At 150pages in I would mostly agree with you about the characters and plot, though I think you are completly wrong about things being genuine.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

PRI Caulk posted:

I have heard similar entreaties from the mouths of capricious self-absorbed twats who were afraid that people were beginning to dislike them (their emphatic pleas lacked the same educated preface, but who cares?). I'm not sure why you posted that quote, but it reminds me a little of the difference between authors who write characters by telling you about them and authors who write characters by showing them to you.
:goonsay:

Look at you not getting it and being foolish. I still am honestly interested in what you mean by DFW enjoying his own cleverness at the expense of the book though.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

PRI Caulk posted:

If you got a point, pal, make it. As for not getting a much more explicit statement of mine - what part of it confuses you? He's so wrapped up in being clever and interesting that I'm totally bored by the narrative that I (perhaps naively) expect him to get around to exploring.

If you want a strong central narrative then you're going want another book. I think what confuses me is that things were both clever and interesting but still boring. Or that people see the parts of the book that arnt driving the plot as DFW just trying to clever and not as important parts of the book, if thats what you meant. If you had just said there is too much extraneous filler that would make more sense to me.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 27, 2010

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
The cover with the girls head made out of suburban housing streets is better. And jagged edge pages can suck a dick - really(I hate them so much). No, I still havn't read it. Westward the Course of Empire Takes its Way is taking longer than expected. :(

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

inferis posted:

The smoking gun posted the autopsy report:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/david-foster-wallace-autopsy

e: oh nevermind this is old

Well that was depressing as all gently caress.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I'm reading Delillo's White Noise and while it is similar it's, like another poster said, not as lively. It has sort of a dissociated feel to it.

I read somewhere that John Barth was influential to DFW. Specifically Lost in the Funhouse.

From wiki: "Barth presents a literary "funhouse," a dense maze that weaves in and out of plot, narration, and a self-conscious attention to the process of writing itself."

Sounds familiar.

He says in the Lipsky book that Westward the Course of Empire Takes its Way was entirly ripping off of Barth.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Le Sean posted:

No, yeah, but seriously.

Have you got the wheelchair assassins yet? Id say that i had problems getting going, but I do that with most books. Around page 200 I started reading seriously every day. I hit a speed bump around the time with the wraith though.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

meanolmrcloud posted:

I wish I had drawing talent so i could draw Marios outward appearance. DFW's love of physical deformity had me cracking up, it just piles on to absurd lengths and puts the goofiest mental image in your mind. I have a lot of theories as to why DFW likes deformity so much, but the simplest is that its such a natural seriously funny/unfunny thing in the hands of a good writer.

You can find one here if you scroll down, also a short anecdotal about the artist and DFW http://thepaincomics.com/weekly080917.htm

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

Maybe this guy comes from some crazy country where they don't have Toblerones?

Being from the USA I've always had the feeling that they were more of a Europian thing, but I have no idea why i think that.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

7 y.o. bitch posted:

But it seems to be a radical departure from his other stuff, especially IJ, so I hope it's satisfying, maybe it'll be like a 21st-century Ulysses, with a very narrow narrative frame, but the point is in the dressing.

The discription made me think of the part in This is Water about trying to go to the grocery store after a long day of work.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 16, 2010

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

so what alexander posted:

http://johnziegler.com/editorials_details.asp?editorial=165

this article is pro-click for anyone who really, really loves wallace (all of you)

I was hoping that would have been more funny than sad, but it's just pathetic.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

WoG posted:

So this is redundant information for most of you, since anyone who reads this thread probably also reads Howling Fantods, but it's too cool not to post:

The Decemberists' latest video, directed by Parks & Rec creator/showrunner Michael Schur, is a nearly-direct adaptation of the Eschaton scene. The Times also has an interesting article on it.

The beanies are excellent.

Ha,the Eschaton computer says Enfield Tennis Academy.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Convexed posted:

I've never read any David Foster Wallace before. So, I have a little break from my research in English now until mid-January, and I've embarked on Infinite Jest. Is this a good place to start with his work?

I am only around 30-40 pages in so far, so I've barely scratched the surface, but I've heard many good things. So far, I find his writing style extremely commendable.

I would say that its, if not the best, as good as any place to start with his fiction, but probably the best. His nonfiction is also great but not really the same.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Convexed posted:

Thank you, I will source some of his non-fiction work. drat, I'm excited to really get into this book.

I am hoping for a good ol' mind-gently caress.

For non-fiction I think "A supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again" has more comical stories, but I really like "Consider the Lobster"

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

missmomo posted:

This is making the English degree I absolutely loved doing pale into insignificance :(

I am now about 400 odd pages into IJ and I really don't know what I'm going to do with my life when I've finished it.

I don't want to spoil anything but, its pretty clear what to do when you reach the "end".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

escape artist posted:

Perhaps I should avoid this thread since I have yet to read Infinite Jest.

I'm currently reading Consider the Lobster. The article about the Adult Video Awards is way too long, and it is making me feel like a prude.

I'm going to give the John McCain book a shot after this.

I love the way that DFW employs footnotes, even if some of the footnotes span several pages and result in somewhat fragmented reading.

I really like the Adult Video Awards article, The Big Red One, especially becuase it written with no judgment, just presenting everyone as normal people and this what they do. I think it would be very easy to write that article with subletly, or overtly, biased language. Also I certainly saw some Max Hardcore vids back in the day and it was weird to read to about him after so long.

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Host is proof that hyperlinks do not translate well to the printed page.

To be clear it was originaly conceved as an online article, when clicked on a link it would open a popup with the footnote. They try to recreate this in the text.

• Locked thread