Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Oh hey, TBB has a Wallace thread. I read Brief Interviews with Hideous Men a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Octet was definitely my favorite story in there. I'm curious if the author insertion in Octet and the second half of the story about the woman worrying if she's not pleasing her husband were just stylistic trickery or the truth.

What's the deal with the movie? Did it ever come to theaters? Was it good?

There's movie screens on the back of my book and one of them is two guys sitting at a table and I know has to be the story of the crying girl at the airport. I think that would be pretty cool to see performed vocally.

I have Infinite Jest in my stack of poo poo to read, looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Yeah, that's Clenette.

Also, Roy Tony is introduced in there and he shows up later to hug Erdeddy

I was actually hooked by IJ from the start and it's some stuff in the middle that dragged for me. Well, mostly anything about Gentle or Tine does that for me.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

I'm deliberately saving that one for last. It looks...intimidating.

I'm reading it currently and it's not quite as inaccesible as it first appears. Plus, it's actually a straightforward linear narrative unlike most of Pynchon's work.

That said, it's not terribly uncommon for me to have absolutely no idea what an entire paragraph was trying to say. In contrast to DFW, where I can often (though not always...) puzzle out the meaning of words I don't know, Pynchon has no such desire to give you any context.

And on the topic of DFW - Pynchon comparisons, does anyone else find there is really little to them aside from surface similiarities? Like, they were/are both brilliant men who wrote/write some huge books, but I don't find their writing very comparable at all. Closest thing I can see to DFW is DeLillo, and that's more thematic than anything.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
So my copy of Both Flesh and Not should be waiting for me when I get home from work today and I am pretty excited. I still haven't read The Pale King yet, and I think I've finally admitted to myself that I prefer DFW's nonfic to his fiction (despite loving both).

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I am finishing the Vollman book I'm reading right now before I moved on to BFaN, but I flipped through and one cool thing they added was excerpts from a list DFW kept of words he wanted to learn plus their definitions.

• Locked thread