Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

the posted:

No I mean that slide tackling is explicitly against the rules.

That's gay as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

identikit posted:

That's gay as hell.

That's indoor soccer for you. :(

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

the posted:

That's indoor soccer for you. :(

Oh come on, you're playing on a pitch probably made of rebound ace or hard wood, it's barely bigger than a tennis court. Of course you cant slide tackle on it.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

hughsieblingwish posted:

Oh come on, you're playing on a pitch probably made of rebound ace or hard wood, it's barely bigger than a tennis court. Of course you cant slide tackle on it.

It's astroturf actually. Burns like hell when you slide on it.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Apologies for the long post, but I've got to vent.

I've just about had it with my coed team. We had our first game of the season yesterday and dominated our opponents, who had just been relegated and were a very strong team, for nearly the entire game (they had one, maybe two well-organized attacks, and their only real threat came from one quick guy who they kept trying to send through balls to, but we managed to shut him down fairly well). The reason we dominated, IMO, is because the women on our team are among the best in the division and we actually use them - many teams we've played never use their women as anything more than just slowly moving obstacles. This team was no different, their guys just worked the ball amongst themselves and the women only ever got the ball from deflections or misplaced passes or whatever, and they almost always panicked and just booted it in whatever direction they happened to be facing.

Our women are different, they're not amazing ball handlers (lol) but they can work it around enough to find a good pass or even take a shot. One in particular plays left forward (we play 3-4-3) and has the best skills of all our women, she's great at bringing the ball up the left wing and actually keeping possession, and she can cross it well from that side, too, being left-footed. Above all, ALL of our women are freaking TENACIOUS on defense, and are a serious pain to the other team because they simply do not give up and aren't afraid to get physical if need be.

Now, despite our domination and plenty of chances, we won only because of a penalty. But we still won, and while some of our play was sloppy and disorganized (mainly due to the few who don't ever play except on game days), we did very well against what we thought was a better team.

So what happens the minute we hit the sideline after the final whistle? Half our girls, two in particular, start complaining that the guys never pass to the women. EVER. They singled out two of the midfielders in particular, claiming that they go out of their way to not have to pass to any girls at all, but pretty much whined about all the guys never passing to any of the girls, period. Our captain pointed out that it wasn't true, giving specific examples of different points in the game where we worked it up the left side where there are women at left mid and left forward. He also pointed out that there are just as many girl outfielders as guy outfielders, but they were having none of it.

Then they start rounding on me for "playing out of position", which they've done before but since they were riled up already I got a double dose of it. My heinous crime was simply overlapping with a midfielder (I was left fullback). We had even discussed it briefly beforehand because he was running out of steam (being one of the aforementioned few who play only on game days). Of course, it worked beautifully as the other team had committed their entire left side to the attack, and by moving up slightly I made space for a nice pass down the line from my teammate and was able to bring it all the way up to our attacking third and set up an attack of our own, with no threat on the left side. The midfielder stayed back and covered my position, and when play allowed, we swapped back. But as soon as I took three steps forward with the ball at my feet, I hear screams of "OMG WTF LAZLOW WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU'RE A FULLBACK" and of course those people just stop dead in their tracks instead of just playing on. And the ref even made a comment to me as I tracked back, with a sarcastic "Oh my god, time for everyone to panic!!"

Is it just me, or is this bullshit typical of coed teams? Some crap like this is to be expected whenever men and women play together, but yesterday it really got out of hand. And we loving won!! Part of the problem, I suspect, is that three of our eight women are our captain's sisters, and another is his girlfriend of many years. So there's half the women who feel that they've got the captain on their side no matter what, and I know for a fact that he hates that poo poo because he's said so many times.

What really gets my goat is the "playing out of position" bullshit. This is not baseball, this is not a game of fixed positions. It's a fluid, dynamic game where doing the unexpected is expected, and for gently caress's sake, overlapping is NOT unexpected. Even having a fullback bring the ball up past the halfway line to help set up an attack isn't out of the ordinary - you loving push up and get in the attack, you don't stand there and ask me, "WHERE ARE YOU GOING, PASS THE BALL!!!"

Whew. That was cathartic.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I don't think that's particular to women players, and your post reeks of GBS-style "HEH WOMEN" attitude. I've had plenty of male players who whine shitloads about the same issues, and I've played on plenty of COED teams with women who don't complain at all, even good players like you described.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TBH, every coed team I have played on the women have, I hate to say it because it sounds awful, known their place. They know they're not as skilled as the guys, they're plenty good for women, just not as good as the men and the play will reflect that. They're tenacious on defense though, it's ridiculous.

Of course, the coed league I play in I generally get my hat trick early on(I really shouldn't be playing in it, I use it to stretch my legs out on Saturday before real matches Sunday) and then spread the ball around to everyone. I don't discriminate on who I pass to. If you're in a good spot, making a good run, whatever I'll try and get you the ball.

It's a coed rec league, who cares if you whiff your shot and it dribbles out for a throw in?

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

the posted:

I don't think that's particular to women players, and your post reeks of GBS-style "HEH WOMEN" attitude. I've had plenty of male players who whine shitloads about the same issues, and I've played on plenty of COED teams with women who don't complain at all, even good players like you described.

Yeah, I know it sounds chauvinistic but hopefully that's just from typing it all out in a frustrated hurry. As I say, our women are among the best in the division, and I chose to play coed, and seriously wouldn't want be on any other team because I want to play with them. I've stuck with this team for three seasons now because I love it. It just got bad yesterday, and was so out of left field because we had won, and they seemed really pissed off despite the win.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Shrapnac posted:

TBH, every coed team I have played on the women have, I hate to say it because it sounds awful, known their place. They know they're not as skilled as the guys, they're plenty good for women, just not as good as the men and the play will reflect that. They're tenacious on defense though, it's ridiculous.

It's that way with this one, too, but mainly because, I think, a lot of the guys are just so much bigger than the women, and this is an over-thirty league. Our once prevalent "I'M GONNA KILL THAT loving BALL" attitude has been replaced with "I hope I don't break a part of my body today", and they don't play as aggressively as a result - EXCEPT on defense, as you say. Our women have been given warnings by the league for being too aggressive, which only makes them angry. :ohdear:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Outdoor season is starting up. I need some gear to make sure I don't rip all the skin off my legs when I slide tackle. Something like this. Recommendations?

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

the posted:

Outdoor season is starting up. I need some gear to make sure I don't rip all the skin off my legs when I slide tackle. Something like this. Recommendations?

50 bux?! Just HTFU hth.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

identikit posted:

50 bux?! Just HTFU hth.

Look, like David Beckham I have to keep in top shape for the modeling magazines.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
Those work well, not the cheapest pair but you wont get the burns on your legs. I was a keeper in college and consistently had cuts all down my legs, those at least cut back on the unbearable pain.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

the posted:

It's astroturf actually. Burns like hell when you slide on it.

I'm considering looking for some my-first-skateboard kneepads because I end almost every session with knees that look like they've been hit by shrapnel

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Alright, which one of you plays keeper for Mozambique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXVsJbeJaPY

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

calcio posted:

Alright, which one of you plays keeper for Mozambique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXVsJbeJaPY

He forgot he wasn't Rene Higuita.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....
First 5 a side game last night for 3 months because of injury and the weather.

I got a kick in the shin, stubbed toe, dead leg and a jab in the ribs (accidental). But we won so I didn't care.

I love football.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Won 8-7 against the equal second team in the league last night. Bloody brilliant.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Played my first 5-a-side match tonight since June, my legs feel like poo poo but it was really fun. My touch was terrible and I didn't do too much besides running around, but it was nice to get back in the action.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

euroboy posted:

Played my first 5-a-side match tonight since June, my legs feel like poo poo but it was really fun. My touch was terrible and I didn't do too much besides running around, but it was nice to get back in the action.
How was your Zidane Roulette?

outcast_p
Oct 1, 2004

I had a game last night, 7v7 indoor turf coed rec league. Ended in a 1-1 tie. Not too bad of a result for that team. They had some guys that were just way to fast for anyone on our team to keep up with them. Did an OK job keeping him to the outside. Another kid thought that wearing cleats was a good idea. The league rules are no cleats, and no sliding.

The problem with our team is, we always have the girls play up top, and the 3 guys end up on D. I am not that good at D and some of the girls just do not have the speed, to play up that much. Half the time if the guys are pushing forward with the ball, they forget to cover back. But for the most part we keep somewhat of decent shape. I wish my other team could figure that out.

One thing sucks about Buffalo, its about $800-$1000 for an 8 game session for soccer during the year, a bit cheaper in the summer months. Works out to be about $75-$90 a player. What is the cost for indoor where you all play?

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

outcast_p posted:

One thing sucks about Buffalo, its about $800-$1000 for an 8 game session for soccer during the year, a bit cheaper in the summer months. Works out to be about $75-$90 a player. What is the cost for indoor where you all play?

$60au a game for the whole team in mixed and $15au each for man-only futsal. I play two mixed and one all male game a week. Do I need to factor in the cost of alcohol for post match drinks?

The mixed is more relaxed with most of the rules because there's lots of amateurs and it is just played on an indoor basketball court. The single sex is on purpose built courts, quite serious and is officiated by two guys rather than one.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
In Tulsa you could have 15 on your roster which would make it about $30-40 a person depending. Most of the time you'd end up with 10 people signing up and paying then about 6 showing up per game.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
Game yesterday was called off as it started snowing heavily as soon as we kicked off, we only got ten minutes or so before it was basically unplayable. The snow was clumping up and sticking to everything: boots, ball, even my tracksuit bottoms had a load of snowballs dangling from the ripped ends.

We didn't play that well, when the game was suspended it was 2 - 0 to them and we weren't looking likely to score, lots of painful approach play as we tried to work it close enough to shoot and losing out at the last minute when a pass went astray or got intercepted. The problem is two of the team aren't fast or skilful, one guy is utterly left footed and I'm the best defender because of my pace so we do okay for as long as it takes me to get knackered from trying to play at both ends. I wouldn't mind being the guy at the back playing through balls since I get a kick out of it but none of them really know how to make space or make a run so I have the ball at my feet with three people apparently trying to hide behind the other team. But even though they're not as good players the atmosphere has been a lot friendlier the past few weeks while the first team players have largely been busy, despite the 4 game losing streak.

Sometimes I want to tell them before the game what they should be doing with runs and stuff, moving off your player and trying to move with the rest of your team to exploit space but I'd probably sound like a dick. I'm under no illusions, they're probably all better players than me technically, but they just don't know how to move. I usually end up having to shout and point while I have the ball but I'd probably do that anyway cos that's how I roll :c00l:

Other team were muppets as well, their striker spooned an absolute sitter from 3 yards out early on and tried to claim it as a corner. I was right behind him and neither me or the keeper got a touch, he just sliced the ball off into the snow. Not a big deal, but he got really offended when we took the goal kick and his team started muttering about cheating like we were loving Leeds or something. And then later in the game they score when a sub who was apparently just subbed on runs onto the pitch to intercept a throw and score. When the game was cancelled they were really cocky about it, saying that next week it'd be 4 - 0 even if we cheated again. I don't give a poo poo but it was just pathetic they got that bad tempered over a phantom corner, in a five a side game. Hopefully we'll have some more first teamers back next week to deal with what is apparently now a Grudge Match

Edit: Wow. This wasn't as long in my head.

RedPaddy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 5, 2010

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

RedPaddy posted:

Other team were muppets as well, their striker spooned an absolute sitter from 3 yards out early on and tried to claim it as a corner. I was right behind him and neither me or the keeper got a touch, he just sliced the ball off into the snow. Not a big deal, but he got really offended when we took the goal kick and his team started muttering about cheating like we were loving Leeds or something. And then later in the game they score when a sub who was apparently just subbed on runs onto the pitch to intercept a throw and score. When the game was cancelled they were really cocky about it, saying that next week it'd be 4 - 0 even if we cheated again. I don't give a poo poo but it was just pathetic they got that bad tempered over a phantom corner, in a five a side game. Hopefully we'll have some more first teamers back next week to deal with what is apparently now a Grudge Match

loving hate this poo poo. When I played there was nothing like this at all. Maybe a bit of a grudge between local rivals and friendly digs at ex-teammates but never mouthing off at poo poo.

Got renewed ammo for the grudge against Witham though last weekend, bloody idiots.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
We just had our playoff game for 5 a side. We are so loving bad its comical, but we have the best girl in the league and a couple guys who can play a little. We won our first playoff game 1-0 on a poo poo goal from a scrum in the goal mouth. We played our second game against a team that beat us 8-0 first time we played them. I hit a loving screamer from just inside the center circle that just missed upper 90 with like two minutes to go, we ended up losing 2-1 after missing a breakway and tap in with a minute left.

Our next session starts next week and we moved ourselves down a bracket so we dont get crushed every week.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Both 5-a-side leagues I play in are £20 a match for the whole team. The Sunday league has been great, we lost 5-2 on Sunday but we were unlucky with two of the goals and one was just a terrible defensive error - we scored to put ourselves 2-1 ahead after a lot of work, then right after the kick off their player just runs forward, the defence backs off and he slams it into the bottom corner.

I was glad to get the assist for our first goal though, I saw our striker ready for a run and dinked the ball over the defence for him. The keeper thought it was too long and came out to catch it, then squealed when he realised our striker would get there first. A little touch, over the keeper's head and in.

Then I missed almost from point blank. :doh:

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

calcio posted:

How was your Zidane Roulette?

Not so magical, I actually got knocked into the ground by some big fat guy who's whole tactic was to just run into people when they tried to do any tricks.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

euroboy posted:

Not so magical, I actually got knocked into the ground by some big fat guy who's whole tactic was to just run into people when they tried to do any tricks.
Pretend to be his bud then when he's not looking pull his shorts down to his knees. It's called the Terry.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
I tried this today. It seemed like a great idea until I tripped over my own leg...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igh5t2QDtAs

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

calcio posted:

Pretend to be his bud then when he's not looking pull his shorts down to his knees. It's called the Terry.

no i don't want to see what's under those shorts, sorry

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Haven't done a Zidane roulette on the pitch yet. Out of three attempts against me though I tackled two of them successfully.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I had to google that. Eh, doesn't seem THAT difficult.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
It's not, the hard part is timing it right and aiming the ball so that you and it go past the defender too quickly for him to turn, or tackle you.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I tend to use more of a sledgehammer than a scalpel when attacking.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

It actually works better if you've got the strength to hold off the defender. I'm only 65kg so I do better changing direction and unbalancing a defender than just pushing past.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I'm starting in an inter-fraternity indoor league soon. I wasn't able to play in the outdoor league last semester but if the quality of players is similar.. this is going to be a joke.

It's hilarious when you can CLEARLY tell the kids who've played before. They get the ball and do a slight feint on way and send half the opposing team dashing wildly in an overcommited bid to stop them

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Scikar posted:

It actually works better if you've got the strength to hold off the defender. I'm only 65kg so I do better changing direction and unbalancing a defender than just pushing past.

79kg here :smug:

quote:

It's hilarious when you can CLEARLY tell the kids who've played before. They get the ball and do a slight feint on way and send half the opposing team dashing wildly in an overcommited bid to stop them

It's tough defending on indoor. You can't slide tackle (at least not here) so you've got a choice to make when taking on a player a few feet from the box. If they commit in one direction, say by nudging the ball to an opening for a shot on their right, they're either about to blast it or cut back in the other direction. If you don't commit to a standing tackle, they're probably going to put it in the back of the net. But if you commit too strongly, they can cut back in the other direction.

the fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 5, 2010

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Honestly if you slide it's not much more difficult to cut it back either. Or just turn away and draw the free kick (at the expense of your achilles from the sound of the way you play).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
This is the half-time speech I give each game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtlbTMhOb0I