Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

luvd posted:

Holy poo poo you're not wrong. £170 buy it now. MIght have to have a root around when I'm home next.
Rock these!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

calcio posted:

You really need to try out shoes in person for yourself. I find a huge difference in fit and feel between brands and models. Once you find the shoe you love then you should start buying online. I get all my stuff from soccer.com.

Yeah, I just have to find a store around here that sells them. The southeastern United States isn't the best place to find soccer boots.

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

boom boom boom let me hear you say bale BALE
Anyone with an iphone should check out Nike Football presents Soccer training or something. Type in nike football and itll come up, it's a series of training vids made by Juventus coaches and has guest appearances by Fernando Torres on finishing and Robbie Keane on taking penalties (!!!). It's not bad for free

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

the posted:

Yeah, I just have to find a store around here that sells them. The southeastern United States isn't the best place to find soccer boots.

SEC! RAWR FOOTBALL! I really hate the south...

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Biggy_ posted:

Anyone with an iphone should check out Nike Football presents Soccer training or something. Type in nike football and itll come up, it's a series of training vids made by Juventus coaches and has guest appearances by Fernando Torres on finishing and Robbie Keane on taking penalties (!!!). It's not bad for free

Have a couple on my phone. Haven't watched them yet.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

calcio posted:

SEC! RAWR FOOTBALL! I really hate the south...

ACC (rawr basketball)

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
If you want some good soccer videos on techniques to work on check out insidesoccer.com. The videos arent all necessarily doable alone, but they are alot more intense and game like instead of "Receive ball with back to goal, turn and shoot."

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Oh man I got my Nike T90 Confidence gloves in today and they are amazing. I love the feel of them already. Having used just poo poo training gloves for so long(no money) I finally have some legit gloves I want to make sweet love to

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I give them 3 matches.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

Scikar posted:

I give them 3 matches.

I trained for about 2 hours tonight and was pretty rough with them. Not a scratch so far(plus I ordered a 3 for 2 deal so I'm set for a while)

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

ayb posted:

Oh man I got my Nike T90 Confidence gloves in today and they are amazing. I love the feel of them already. Having used just poo poo training gloves for so long(no money) I finally have some legit gloves I want to make sweet love to

Any good online place with a generous return policy? (as in try them on and find they won't work, not use them for any games). Gloves have been my last holdout in refusing to buy online but my local soccer store's selection has gone to complete poo poo, with nothing but budget and massive bulky as hell gloves.

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007

calcio posted:

Rock these!

I unironically tried to find these and failed :(. Don't give a gently caress if it looks gay.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Chivas Aribas! posted:

I unironically tried to find these and failed :(. Don't give a gently caress if it looks gay.
If you step on the pitch with these you better be good. If you are you'll look total pimp but if you suck you'll look gay as hell.

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...
What's a good boot for playing on artificial turf?

I have some indoor/outdoor Adidas Mundial but they're more like running shoes, also have regular Nike boots with studs/cleats.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

Humuhumu posted:

I have some indoor/outdoor Adidas Mundial but they're more like running shoes, also have regular Nike boots with studs/cleats.

Was going to ask this for Astros.

Might just have to suck it up and bag a pair of these http://www.barringtonsports.com/products/2/style/asics_gel_platinum_le_hockey_shoes_2009/9281/view and hope my friends don't suddenly want me to play 5-a-side any time soon.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Humuhumu posted:

It depends on the type of turf. If you play on Astro Turf (cement with green carpet over it) then you might need to get some flats/indoor shoes. If its sprint turf or next turf which has like little sand or rubber pellets in it you can go with straight up cleats. The team I coach practices and plays on next turf everyday and we all wear cleats with zero issues.

Some people on astro turf can just buy a pair of regular running shoes and play soccer in them, but I absolutely hate the way the ball comes off your foot in regular shoes. It just doesnt feel as sharp.

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...
It's kinda rubber topped with fake grass, pretty spongy.

Yeah not keen on the ball feel with my Mundials, regular cleats would work but if there's something specifically designed for fake turf in a boot that would be better.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Humuhumu posted:

It's kinda rubber topped with fake grass, pretty spongy.

Yeah not keen on the ball feel with my Mundials, regular cleats would work but if there's something specifically designed for fake turf in a boot that would be better.

Thats next turf I believe and you can wear normal cleats. You can buy turfs but there is literally no improvement over cleats, and I feel that you cant actually push off in turfs like you could on cleats. I only wear turfs when I'm coaching so its easier on my feet.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

What the gently caress are you guys talking about when you say cleats and turfs. Are you saying studs versus astros?

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

identikit posted:

What the gently caress are you guys talking about when you say cleats and turfs. Are you saying studs versus astros?

All I play with now is either turf or hard ground. All the fields around here have been converted over to next/new turf.

Click here for the full 526x640 image.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

calcio posted:

All I play with now is either turf or hard ground. All the fields around here have been converted over to next/new turf.

Same here for the wealthy schools. I know overseas they hate turf, but I prefer it over the bullshit fields we played on in high school and college. Rocks everywhere, barely any grass, it was almost impossible to play a fun brand of soccer. Every loving time you got the ball it took an extra touch because the ball would be bouncing all over the place.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

If it's proper astroturf then you want proper astros (or 'turfs' I guess) unless you are certain that firm ground studs are permitted where you're playing. Many places with the 3G stuff or water lubricated astro will not allow you to play with any kind of studs at all. I would imagine playing on sand based astro even with firm ground studs would be very uncomfortable anyway.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Alright, time to go outside and get a quick picture of new turf. brb.

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...

Scikar posted:

If it's proper astroturf then you want proper astros (or 'turfs' I guess) unless you are certain that firm ground studs are permitted where you're playing. Many places with the 3G stuff or water lubricated astro will not allow you to play with any kind of studs at all. I would imagine playing on sand based astro even with firm ground studs would be very uncomfortable anyway.

Most of the guys were wearing regular cleats, so I guess it's ok.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I always play on astroturf with my indoors or regular cleats. Never had much of a balance problem and I loving love the fit of my indoors so any chance I had to use them I took

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

calcio posted:

Ok. I call these

Blades
Studs
Hard ground
Astros
Indoor

Thinking about it, I've never owned a pair of blades or hard ground boots. Used to have to replace studs like nobody's business though.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
This is the new turf fields we have everywhere around here now. They are these filled with these little black rubber pellets.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

calcio posted:

This is the new turf fields we have everywhere around here now. They are these filled with these little black rubber pellets.

Yeah. You want to wear cleats on that type of turf. Thats what I played on almost all the time and nobody wears anything but cleats.

Have you ever played on it Calcio? The ball takes different bounces, but its so much easier on your knee's and ankles. Its alot softer then grass and apprently you have about half as many injuries on it. Its a perfect alternative for colleges/high schools that cant afford upkeep of a nice grass field.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Yea, it's all I play on these days and I love playing on it especially remembering not so long ago playing on dirt fields and the old rug burn turf. It's far nicer than the old turf and is much easier on the knees. The ball does take more bounce and will skip especially when wet.

I play with the firm ground/blades and have never had a problem.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I still hate turf though. Nothing better than playing on a pitch where a baseball field overlaps so if you tackle in there you get up with blood coating your leg.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

That's exactly the stuff I play on twice a week. At one place it's poorly maintained and mostly a sea of the rubber pellets now. They allow blades. The other one is is the Hearts academy and it's pristine, no studs, blades or anything allowed, only astros or indoors.

outcast_p
Oct 1, 2004

I play at 2 different places with turf (indoors). They do not allow cleats, so I got some turf shoes for them. I really like my Puma v5.08 TT (not the best shoe, really cheap and no shot grip) but the studs are great and they are very light. I used to use them at both places, until I got my adidas 5v5 turf shoes. They are lighter, and a bit softer. They are covered in a soft rubber on the top and the bottom is VERY grippy. I cant use them at the place that has the rubber infill, I slide too much. The other place uses victory turf, rubber pad under the turf. have a better shot and control with the adidas' but the pumas i can run faster and the touch is better. Hard to describe.

All in all, I think next purchase will be a higher end puma boot, either the 3.08 or whatever the new model is. I do have too many shoes, but who cares. I should take pics...

outcast_p fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 9, 2010

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

It's actually kind of strange, despite all the astroturf facilities in Edinburgh the shops only have the top end boots with studs. I ended up with Puma Kings but that's what I wanted in the first place. :3:

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

calcio posted:

Rock these!

Bought. Cheers mate.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Oh Em Gee posted:

Bought. Cheers mate.
:worship:

Post pics of you wearing them.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
So my indoor team added a new guy, and he's definitely of the 'why play one touch when I can take seven and then lose the ball' mentality. Also, when he manages to retain possession, he can't finish to save his life.

It's a pretty low-key coed league, but even the players who are just out for the exercise are already starting to hate him.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Played my 5 a side game today.

Only 7 people showed up so I played the entire game.

Lost 5 - 4.

One of those goals was my own goal. :suicide:

EDIT: I did score as well, so I guess I have a net of zero.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Bobby Digital posted:

So my indoor team added a new guy, and he's definitely of the 'why play one touch when I can take seven and then lose the ball' mentality. Also, when he manages to retain possession, he can't finish to save his life.

It's a pretty low-key coed league, but even the players who are just out for the exercise are already starting to hate him.

Are the men allowed as many touches as they want in your indoor coed league? Mine only allows three touches for the guys but no limit for the girls. I don't know if I like it. It encourages a fast game, and our passing has definitely improved, but when you get stuck you're hosed.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If that's a house rule that's the most retarded thing ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Lazlow posted:

Are the men allowed as many touches as they want in your indoor coed league? Mine only allows three touches for the guys but no limit for the girls. I don't know if I like it. It encourages a fast game, and our passing has definitely improved, but when you get stuck you're hosed.

Actually played a bit of 3 touch hockey last night with the 1s and 2s (loving hell they're good). The one thing about it when playing as a defender is the sheer difference in tactics. The player you're marking receives the ball and takes one more touch, they then have to pass (or shoot, but a simple block works) so you either stick tight and wait for the pass and cut it out or drop onto the players around them so they don't have the option. Personally I hate it as it changes the dynamics of the game too much and I've been told I used to panic on the ball so I slowed right down.

Playing down the park though, 3 touches and you're at the other goal, the pitches are minuscule :negative: