Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Can you score three-pointers from outside the area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Bogan Krkic posted:

Can you score three-pointers from outside the area?

He uses the same website tools for multiple leagues and two of the leagues do have three-pointers. Not the one in in though

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Diplomat posted:

Outdoor in Florida during the summer is a sure fire way to have a bad time.

Yeah, especially if you don't like the feeling of drowning. Didn't stop me, but the humidity is horrid.

Took some photos of my team again. Only a few games left before I leave :ohdear:

I wish I could have gotten this one a little better. Sadly, it wasn't to be. I love how everyone is sliding in though.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

fyallm posted:

He uses the same website tools for multiple leagues and two of the leagues do have three-pointers. Not the one in in though

I'm lolling that you had to explain all these perfectly normal soccer rules to the other posters in a soccer thread in the soccer forum, what a bunch of idiots lol

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'm lolling that you had to explain all these perfectly normal soccer rules to the other posters in a soccer thread in the soccer forum, what a bunch of idiots lol

Haha, I thought it was weird, but hey, maybe now they know and going forward when they see it they won't have to ask basic questions.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

fyallm posted:

Haha, I thought it was weird, but hey, maybe now they know and going forward when they see it they won't have to ask basic questions.

Right over your head like a 3-pointer into the upper 90.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

CaptainRightful posted:

Right over your head like a 3-pointer into the upper 90.

I don't know what this means, please explain.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Ugh, these posters not knowing things in the soccer thread :rolleyes:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Trolling from the start. Your league uses stupid abreviations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

fyallm posted:

You can't be this dumb.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

OH MY GOD I WANT TO SHOOT MYSELF AFTER READING THIS PAGE.

Nice pics though, Soulex. Are you playing yet?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Almost. Got a scab, so the leg is starting to close. It's the weirdest thing...in the process of moving so when I get to Seattle, gonna just say gently caress it and start practicing again.

Thanks, only got one game left to shoot :(

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I just decided to try out for one of the "premier amateur" soccer leagues near NYC despite having not played competitive soccer in 13 years. Got my rear end completely handed to me by a bunch of 19 year old Portuguese kids.

Here I thought I was in good shape but holy gently caress.

Soccer is hard.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Had a fun one tonight. I think I've talked about this team before. It's a team we're all familiar with: they start off chippy, get chippier, then cry "it's just a game!" when you start giving it back.

Anyway, about two minutes into the game, I took a backpass from our defensive mid. Their striker sprinted in, so I touched it around him. He tried to lower his shoulder and knock me over but bounced off. (He's a little dude; I have like 6 inches and 60 pounds on him). He smirked at me as he ran by, so I asked if he really thought he could win a collision.

Towards the end of the half, he found space on the edge of the box and received a bouncing through ball. It was clear he was going to miscontrol it, so I came out and scooped it up. He again tried to knock me over, but I had enough time to turn sideways. He met my shoulder and bounced off the turf. He yelled "what the gently caress?" at the ref, who shrugged.

Finally, a couple of minutes before the end of the match with my team up 4-0. He chases a hopeless through ball, then trips our fullback from behind to get to it. His touch is heavy, I rush out and slide in to claim it 2-3 steps before he gets there. Of course he decides to lower his knee into my head, then trips over me and goes flying.

I'm wobbly and seeing stars as I get to my feet, by which time he's already advancing towards me yelling profanities. He leans in and grabs my shirt, I push him away, and we both get yellows. What the gently caress.

After the game, he wanted to get into it some more, but one of his teammates basically dragged him to the parking lot.

For those counting at home (lol no one read all this), that's my second career yellow for taking a blow to the head. Last time I was out cold and got cautioned for faking an injury.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I played for the first time in a year and couldn't last twenty minutes in a organized pick up.

I made a couple nice passes, but was otherwise garbage.

A league I joined starts in 3 weeks, any suggestions to get into game shape? I know I'm going to be terrible, but I at least want to be able to hustle.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

NNick posted:

I played for the first time in a year and couldn't last twenty minutes in a organized pick up.

I made a couple nice passes, but was otherwise garbage.

A league I joined starts in 3 weeks, any suggestions to get into game shape? I know I'm going to be terrible, but I at least want to be able to hustle.

Play as many games as you can between now and then, nothing builds match fitness like playing matches. In order of preference you want full sized 11-a-side matches, smaller sides indoor games, or doing high intensity interval training. Jogging long distances at a steady pace will give you diminishing returns fairly quickly otherwise - at a minimum you want to be sprinting and changing direction every 10 metres or so. Google "chelsea squares" for a handy running exercise that I loving hate but works well

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
It will also depend a lot on which position you wanna play, and what formation etc. If your coach has made comments about you becoming a winger prepare to run forever

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Just get really good at kicking the poo poo out of people without anyone noticing and then play in defense imo

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Bogan Krkic posted:

Just get really good at kicking the poo poo out of people without anyone noticing and then play in defense imo

I feel like you and I play for the same team Steve

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Bogan Krkic posted:

I did this as a defender. If I saw a winger or striker being abusive, I'd do the same thing right back.

Leg has finally closed!

Now to work through the atrophy in my legs and start to play again.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Finally our season of horrific pain is done, and we even managed to pull out a 2-1 win to round out the year. If we just count our start where we had 2 wins and a draw, forget the next 13 weeks and then remember this one we went brilliantly!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Bobby Digital posted:

Had a fun one tonight. I think I've talked about this team before. It's a team we're all familiar with: they start off chippy, get chippier, then cry "it's just a game!" when you start giving it back.

I loving hate people who pull that move. It feels like there's at least one team like that in every session

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Any tips for breaking in new boots? Just got the Hypervenom Phantoms and while my left feels fine, my right boot is pressing on my heel every time I run/cut so I have a nice blister on my right heel. I feel like pressing down on the right heel might help but I don't want to ruin the boot either. Going to have to wear my old cleats for a week or two while the blister heals.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
I just scored the league winning goal from a 25 yard free kick where I totally wrong footed the keeper, gotta be the new mercurials. I also did the cool ronaldo/cantona stand there and look around like "are you not entertained?" celebration.

Pretty sure this is the start of a cool Nike commercial where I end up playing for arsenal, which kinda sucks because they have the worst posting contingent.

Earthy Ape Unit fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 4, 2014

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Geno posted:

Any tips for breaking in new boots? Just got the Hypervenom Phantoms and while my left feels fine, my right boot is pressing on my heel every time I run/cut so I have a nice blister on my right heel. I feel like pressing down on the right heel might help but I don't want to ruin the boot either. Going to have to wear my old cleats for a week or two while the blister heals.

Warm up in the new ones before matches. Keep swapping between the old and new ones at practice.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Geno posted:

I forget the name but there's liquid something you can put on your feet in the trouble spots for the first few weeks.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

I forget the name but there's liquid something you can put on your feet in the trouble spots for the first few weeks.

Liquid bandage, it's great.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I had a mate who put vaseline on the spots where he got blisters and apparently it helped? It's also pretty useful for the gay man sex in the locker room after the match.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My fall indoor season starts this Sunday :woop:

Also I got these for $35 bucks at my local soccer store. Yes, I know I said a few pages back that I prefer subtle shoes, but I'm an American, so I'm a hypocrite who loves a deal. Also it's hard to find a size 13

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

TheBigAristotle posted:

My fall indoor season starts this Sunday :woop:

Also I got these for $35 bucks at my local soccer store. Yes, I know I said a few pages back that I prefer subtle shoes, but I'm an American, so I'm a hypocrite who loves a deal. Also it's hard to find a size 13

Indoor shoes have treads like that now? Neat. Are they good for games played in wooden floor basketball courts?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We play on field turf, I'm assuming they wouldn't be great for wood surfaces

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Brony Car posted:

Indoor shoes have treads like that now? Neat. Are they good for games played in wooden floor basketball courts?

Almost all indoor facilities in the US are turf or artificial grass. Futsal just doesn't exist here. So shoe companies just market turf as indoor.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

The place I play indoor has hard flooring for street hockey.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Diplomat posted:

The place I play indoor has hard flooring for street hockey.

My knees started to hurt just looking at that.

I played a couple indoor seasons on that stuff, it loving sucks.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
We had 2 seasons of indoor on tennis courts. Sliding/falling = death. Dragging your foot = ripped up boots and laces.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I've only been able to play indoor at basketball courts. It sucks.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I've been getting horrible shin splints lately, mainly when I play on turf. I play indoor as well but don't feel shin splints then.

I wear the same cleats (Hypervenom Phantom FG, I think) that I wear on grass. Is it time to buy turf cleats like these? http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/hypervenom-phelon-tf-soccer-cleat/pid-1475614/pgid-1545786

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Geno posted:

I've been getting horrible shin splints lately, mainly when I play on turf. I play indoor as well but don't feel shin splints then.

I wear the same cleats (Hypervenom Phantom FG, I think) that I wear on grass. Is it time to buy turf cleats like these? http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/hypervenom-phelon-tf-soccer-cleat/pid-1475614/pgid-1545786

When you say turf, are you talking artificial grass (left) or artificial turf (right)?

If you play on artificial grass, those turf cleats suck. Get a boot that's has dedicated outdoor artificial grass cleats underneath, like:

The shoe you linked to is for "carpet" artificial turf. The real issue with playing on latest gen artificial surfaces is the ground up rubber infill - it doesn't compress like soil does. This makes wearing normal cleat patters hurt a bit. I guess the hollow shape allows the rubber to compress up into the cleats when you stomp, which alleviates the pressure. Addidas does it a bit differently with the firmness of the cleats themselves IIRC.

I used to play on AG with my old T90 firm grounds and I was having major foot issues. Switched to a dedicated AG sole and have never looked back.

The one good thing about MLS is that enough "pro" players play on AG now that there's a good market for AG shoes!

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

When you say turf, are you talking artificial grass (left) or artificial turf (right)?

If you play on artificial grass, those turf cleats suck. Get a boot that's has dedicated outdoor artificial grass cleats underneath, like:

The shoe you linked to is for "carpet" artificial turf. The real issue with playing on latest gen artificial surfaces is the ground up rubber infill - it doesn't compress like soil does. This makes wearing normal cleat patters hurt a bit. I guess the hollow shape allows the rubber to compress up into the cleats when you stomp, which alleviates the pressure. Addidas does it a bit differently with the firmness of the cleats themselves IIRC.

I used to play on AG with my old T90 firm grounds and I was having major foot issues. Switched to a dedicated AG sole and have never looked back.

The one good thing about MLS is that enough "pro" players play on AG now that there's a good market for AG shoes!

It's that artificial turf with the rubber black pellets everywhere. Only time I'm worried is when it starts raining and the ground gets slick.

e: I still get shin splints when I play on grass but it's nowhere near as bad on turf. The fact that I rarely get them while playing indoor is what makes me think it just has to do with the shoes.

My indoor place is that horrible carpet turf where it's pretty much flat and is like a soft layer over cement. I wear these and they work fine : http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/fc247-lunargato-ii-soccer-shoe/pid-1475500/pgid-726944

Geno fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Geno posted:

It's that artificial turf with the rubber black pellets everywhere. Only time I'm worried is when it starts raining and the ground gets slick.

e: I still get shin splints when I play on grass but it's nowhere near as bad on turf. The fact that I rarely get them while playing indoor is what makes me think it just has to do with the shoes.

Get dedicated AG cleats.

You probably get shin splits more due to the nature of the outdoor game (longer periods of running overall and in a similar direction) but it can't hurt.