Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Proper fouling football. Where goals don't count but broken legs do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

What would happen if I stood next to you and said 'Go go gadget knee?'

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Suqit posted:

This in only impressive if they are the original Air Jordans, circa 1985.

Somewhere a W&W regular is crying and he doesn't know why.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Match today cancelled because of snow

Managed to get a good pair of shinpads for £3, which were meant to be £18 on sale for £10. Thank you silly sportsworld worker

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Messyass posted:

Our home pitch turns into a swamp every time it rains, so matches get cancelled all the time.

Ours is actually the flood plain of the river running through town...:doh:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

ephex posted:

So I'm walking around atm with an AirCast splint and sometimes crutches.
In around six weeks I'm allowed to start sensible running, hopefully I'll be able to do my 8km runs soon since I already feel fat and bloated :D

And this was my story :D

You're crazy.

Played on Wednesday, got 35 minutes after waiting the first half in a torrential downpour with horizontal wind. First touch was a header that hit the post which was annoying as gently caress, but I did manage an assist and to annoy the opposite centre back so much he tried to punch me in the cock. :) good times.

Really need to practising on my left foot though, had a chance on it that was right at the keeper.

Won 8-0, with 6 goals when I was on the pitch :)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Teh Jawesome posted:

No.

I've never heard of anyone who does, either.

this. I'd imagine it would chafe like crazy

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

You're not allowed to play in the league if you haven't got shinpads, and it's something they're really strict on. Got some Adidas ones on offer from Sportsworld that have the ankle support, because gently caress getting kicked in the ankle.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Ungratek posted:

I don't understand how people can play with the ankle supports. It seems to limit my mobility, plus I'd rather trap/control/pass with a bare ankle than a support.

It's just a thicker bit of sock and the two bits of plastic covering the ankle bone that sits on the side, so it never touches the ball. Never had any problems with mobility in it either, you can twist your foot around in it just as much.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

Already about two and a half months out with a ruptured Achilles and can pretty much expect not to play for the rest of this year. What a lovely loving injury.

poo poo man :( You getting the weird pogo-stick crutch?

Ungratek posted:

Unrelated, but does anyone have recommendations on turfs? Going to the shop this weekend to get a pair but don't know where to start

Plastic blades over studs every time. so much better to run in. After that, whatever feels good.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

My team had a middling week.

Friday Cup Game: Go 1-0 up when the centre forward gets played through with a really nicely weighted ball, two minutes later concede free kick and go to 1-1. Go 2-1 down after a ball over the top gets lobbed over our keeper, but 5 minutes before half time one of the midfield picks up the ball and scores a screamer to make it 2-2.

Come back out for the second half, couple of subs, go 3-2 down. Our keeper makes a wondersave just after to keep the team in it, but with 15 minutes left, they score again to go 4-2 up.

10 minutes left, massive amounts of pressure, header in the box makes it 4-3. Last minute of the game, 10 players up and in their box, 4-4.

Rather than go into extra time, the game goes straight to penalties. Goalie has injured himself so someone has to volunteer, ends up with my team winning 3-2 on penalties, volunteer keeper saved two.

Yesterday League Game: Got trounced 9-2. :(

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

PLayed in a 7's game at half 1, 7 minute halves, won 1-0, should have been more.

Carried on as the astro was free until we got kicked off at half 3. Back on at 5 until half 7.

So much football, playing tomorrow as well. Blisters are loving awful.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

get one of the little size 3 ones or a tennis ball and dribble it around your hallway, you'd be surprised how doing it only a little bit improves your footwork

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Not really sure I can talk, I know I'm definitely starting in the next league game and my fitness over easter hasn't exactly improved. Gonna start jogging in the next two days and some sprints but I know I'll be dying come next wednesday or whenever it is.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Bobby Digital posted:

Also, wind up opposing players. It's pretty much the best part.

Also screaming 'ref ref he pushed me ref' at every corner or free kick

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Botswana! posted:

I've started playing in goal and football in general really recently and no-one told me the cost of boots. gently caress adidas, I'm sticking to my old Umberos and some tatty gloves I futher hosed up in a tug of war anchoring.

It has taken me a while to realise all of me will never me the sort of stringy aerobic goalie.

You can get boots cheap on ebay and stuff they're not that bad

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

It's 6 quid each a week, that doesn't seem too bad?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Soulex posted:

Edit: Also, what other gear am I going to need? I'm just kind of jumping into this, but I think I'm going to have a lot of fun. Also, instructional videos if any.

a size 3 football will do you the world of good in terms of touch and close control if you can find one cheap. Or even a tennis ball.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Soulex posted:

Practice dribbling with a tennis ball?

Thanks for the advice all. I'll be going to a fitting store as soon as I recover from surgery. gently caress my weird feet.

Practising with smaller balls means that the bigger ones will seem giant and easy to get under your control. Just see if you can get one around your house knocking it from foot to foot without it touching a wall or something. We used to play 3 touch maximum with size 4 footballs in training and it really helps in matches.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

britishbornandbread posted:

So, yes, any and all advice greatly appreciated. I've decided that nights I am not playing football should be a good 5km jog around the nearby park. I assume it's a terribly sad social faux pas to take my football there and try to practice some passing and or shooting?

Also, wish me luck in finding size 13/14 football boots that don't cost a bomb...

Guessing the pitches are still up, then;

Width of pitch at a jog
Back again, run the 18 yard box
Width of the pitch back, knees up,
Back again, sprinting the 18 yard box (or 6 if you're not that fit)
Width of the pitch, heels kicking your arse
You could probably bring the ball in for another back and forth

Take loads of water, your close control will probably be a lot better than the people you're up against because you're used to having less time on the ball than you will in a full size pitch.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Ludicrous Gibs posted:

I've just started playing 11-a-side on a Saturday - in goal. Does anyone have any good resources or favourite videos for improving yourself in goal? I feel shockingly out of my depth and over-committed at this level of play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqOxNspUPyE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Soulex posted:

Anyone have a decent way to get rid of shin splints?

Use foam rollers to massage your shins.