Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Pretty desperate last minute SOS this but are there Manchester-based posters who would be interested in playing a six a side match tonight can they reply or PM me? Desperately short of players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

It's East Manchester Academy which is about a minute from the Etihad. M11 3DS is the post code.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

The UEFA Cup has ruined this Thursday night league :(

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I'm hardly a dietician, but an hour before I play five or six a side I usually have a salad with pasta and half an hour or if I am on a long walk to get to the venue I have a banana or two.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Scored my first goal of the six a side season last night. Long diagonal ball over the top and I'd made a run to the far post peeling away from my marker. I let the ball bounce and, as the goalkeeper rushed out and clattered into me, I lobbed the ball over him with my wrong foot and it bounced over a defender into the net. Did aa fistpump. It was great.

That made it 1-1. At 3-2 to us, their winger cut inside and cross the ball across the area and I lunged at it trying to poke it away only to slot it nicely into my own goal. Marvellous.

Lad I man makred out of the game was full of tricks. Shield ball away from defender, try to shimmy into space and take it around defender. I may look awkward was gently caress at 6'6" (the Crouch 9 world cup shirt was cracked out last night) but that does mean I have a great reach for a tackle. At a random part of play, this lad turned to me, can't have been out of his teens yet, and remarked "Here, you better get yours hands off me." I smiled.

I also managed to foul a child without the referee noticing. Corner ball for them, went into the area and this little poo poo of a player tried to turn to face play but I was holding onto his left wrist so he was left facing the wrong way for a few crucial seconds allowing me to turn and face. Excellent heel tactics.

We won 4-3 in the end. They wouldn't shake hands with us. It was hilarious.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I played indoor football helping out a work colleague with numbers for their five a side game and it was a massive culture shock. I've never been so warm playing football in my life. I managed to go through my bottled juice halfway through the game so was clock watching with fifteen minutes to go thinking I was going to die.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Bobby Digital posted:

When I was 14, I got my hand stomped on in a goalmouth scramble. It wasn't until I noticed blood seeping out of the bottom of my glove that I realized something was wrong. The tip of my middle finger was absolutely mangled.

Played in goal for a five a side team about four/five years ago. Dived in at someone's feet who went in stomping. Right hand got a good set of studs. Went home, went about my business as normal, but when my finger wouldn't deflate and go back to it's normal colour my GF at the time insisted on going to A&E. Broken finger, and had I not been in sooner it may have had to come off :stare:

It's permanently bent now, and feels a bit sore during cold weather. I still pop in goal when needed these days though.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

If any Manchester-based goons/lurkers are after a competitive weekly friendly fixture a five a side game I organise every Tuesday is after new players. PM me if interested.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Taff posted:

Hmmm, I might be interested in this. Where do you play, at what time?

It's on a Tuesday night, 6pm to 7pm and is at Moss Side Leisure Development Centre (corner of Denmark Road and Lloyd Street North).

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Chas McGill posted:

Playing with a colleague who is 6'7" tonight. The long ball might be a viable tactic. Hope he's on my side, though I've no idea if he's any good at football. He's a semi-pro cricketer.
I'm 6'6" and towards the ends of games I go up front for the long ball/flick down/get corner or kick in routine. I tend to wear my Crouch 9 England shirt for this.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Managed to scrape together eight willing lads for the six a side squad tonight, with some really good players looking forward to the new season. We turn up in the pissing rain and warm up, only to wait and wait. Our opposition didn't bother showing. I am absolutely fuming and terribly embarrassed having harrassed these seven people into turning up to East Manchester for no reason. Football Is Dead, and some shower of shits called 'The Mighty Ducks' killed it. On the plus side, 5-0 default win and we're top of the league.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

i am a size 14 so i am severely limited in what I can wear playing football

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Played bottom of the league last night and we won 8-3. I scored a decent goal after the keeper made a fine save tipping a long range effort onto the post. I let the ball roll back to me before planting it across the keeper with my wrong foot. very happy.

Amusingly, a young chap fouled me after catching me on the shin and them accused me of diving. Moments later he did a HORRIBLE challenge on my team mate just below the knee and got a talking to by the referee. his excuse was "oh, I didn't mean to do that one!" Horrible prick. should never set out to hurt anyone.

After the game I shook hands as that's the right thing, he cautiously asked me if he should shake hands with my team, asking "they're not going to jump me are they?" Er...

He was a ringer as our opponents didn't have enough players. look forward to playing his team later in the year.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

six a side tonight, we were top and we played second. It ended 3-3 in a great game to play in. I'd say player for player they were better than us but we were organised and sprung on the counter. I probably had my best game for the team with some really good tackles and interceptions. These long legs really do come in handy when tricky little shits tried to do step overs and over such nonsense.

Roy take me to Poland I want to play for England, don't hate blacks (don't know any) and I can do a funny little dance in celebration if we score a goal

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I've 'signed up' for an 11 a side team for the first time this summer with pre-season training beginning on 24th June. I've played five and six a side on and off for a good few years now but even when I was a bit younger I never played or even tried to play a full eleven a side match.

I realise eleven and five/six a side are not comparable, and at 25 years old I have most likely missed the boat, but in terms of general fitness drills and solo workouts are there any suggestions anyone can give me? Christ, I don't even know what best position I could play in an eleven a side team. I assume at 6'6" I should be a centre half, I play defence at six a side, but I can't head the ball for toffee.

So, yes, any and all advice greatly appreciated. I've decided that nights I am not playing football should be a good 5km jog around the nearby park. I assume it's a terribly sad social faux pas to take my football there and try to practice some passing and or shooting?

Also, wish me luck in finding size 13/14 football boots that don't cost a bomb...

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

RedPaddy posted:

Anyone in the UK/Manchester got any tips on how to get new games? My usual routes have all dried up. Had a work game but that's died entirely with injuries/changing priorities (babies) and my weekend games are likely off for most of the summer with folk holidaying/touring.

I play two or three nights a week in Manc. interested?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

stupid question ahoy

what type of boots will I need for a usual season of eleven a side English winter? soft ground or firm ground?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

thanks for the reply Thel

would these do a job? http://www.sportsdirect.com/umbro-speciali-sg-mens-football-boots-199013?colcode=19901340

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Third week of eleven a side training last night. For some inexplicable reason I trained with the first team, and though I didn't do exceptionally well I didn't stink up the place either. Got a text afterwards from the reserve team manager confirming I'll be in the rezzies for the rest of pre-season which I am fine with. He did congradulate me on my attempts though saying my efforts had been noted. I'm very much a confidence player!

My thighs are in agony though. I didn't warm down; I had to rush back into town to meet a friend, getting changed in the car as my mate drove us along. What's the correct warm down after a few hours training?

Silly question now, I realise what a centreback has to 'do', but does anyone know of any coaching itinerary that I should learn, possibly rehearse when playing five and six a side? The basics a CB should cover and memorise. I realise my coach will be training us over the season and give us pointers, but I wouldn't mind thinking the right way

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

packed in XI a side. a few week of training was great fun but when it came to learning how to play as a CB correctly (holding a line, communicating and watching three players at once) I realised I don't think I'm mentally cut out for it :(

the coach was really complimentary and was sad to see me go. might stick to five/six a side for one more year to actually improve my tackling and passing but I fear at 25 I'm over the hill to really learn how to cope with the heat of a battle that comes in central defence.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Excellent, cheeky bump.

If there are posters or lurkers in the Manchester area, I organise and play in a weekly Tuesday evening five a side friendly at the Active Lifestyles Centre on Denmark Road/Lloyd Street North near Hulme/Moss Side from 6pm until 7pm. If anyone fancies joining in, whether to get better or to get fitter, let us know - we need some new faces down to mingle.

Thanks guys.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Our six a side team lost 2-1 yesterday and it was my own goal that cost us. Low cross across the face of goal and it flicked my toe into the net. I was devastated. I also took out one of their players when I went for a challenge and slipped causing a standing challenge to devolve into a two footed slide. Whoops.

Thirteenth Step I usually have a shower and a wank to calm down after a poo poo match. Worked for Chris Benoit.

britishbornandbread fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 11, 2013

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

3G fake grass. Just like real thing.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

There's a special place in hell reserved for those who say they will pay five a side and then don't bother to inform you they won't be turning up. I called the lad 10 minutes into our hour long slot on the pitch to him saying "oh yeah, i got to work and realised i'd forgotten my kit". Didn't occur to him to tell me he'd done this. Needless to say, he won't be invited back next week.

Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

knew what this would be before I clicked it. thank you for not letting me down.