Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I just play with friends at a neighborhood park during the summer. I got myself some gloves and played goalkeeper for the first time in my life this past summer, and loved it. Nobody else really wanted to play the position for too long, so unfortunately I didn't see much action elsewhere on the field, but I had a blast all the same. We got together for a game over this past spring break, with diminished numbers.

Once I'm permanently installed in Portland again, I'm really looking forward to joining an adult rec league. I haven't rightly played on a team since 8th grade, because of being dumb and not playing during high school and then suffering injuries at the start of the season during college intramurals. This summer can't come soon enough.

Oh yeah, and I've also been reffing intramurals at my school for the past couple of years and had a pretty good time with that. Though I'm still a bit timid and slightly indecisive... I'm definitely still learning, but it's been a great experience. I absolutely LOVE booking belligerent frat boys who don't even know how to play the game.

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Just got back from a pickup game that was fairly fun. I don't know why we decided to play soccer outside on a foggy day at a balmy 33°F, but we did. Glad to see my friends were up for it despite the weather, even if there were a couple of them who just stood around in the middle of the field talking about basketball the whole drat time. The thing that was really crappy though is that whoever runs the park we always play at decided to come in and move the goals to one side of the field... and then chain them together. Seriously, what's the drat point in preventing people from playing soccer at a city park like that? I hate water bottle goalposts and imaginary crossbars. :argh:

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

harperdc posted:

which park was this at?

also apparently there's a turf indoor field with boards and everything in the new PSU rec center, might be playing indoor intramurals in the winter :c00l:
April Hill Park, in SW Portland. And that's awesome about PSU. I'm a student there and I've never played indoor before, this could be a good chance to try it out. I wonder if they need referees, because I'd be game for that too.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
God dammit, I'm so pissed right now. My neighbor invited me to play the indoor team he's a part of and I joined them on Sunday night. I had never played indoor before but warmed up to it quickly enough and got the game-tying assist and had a lot of fun. Before the match started I asked several people on the team if it was definitely okay to join before I paid the $10 league registration fee and they all said it was fine. During the game everyone was chattering about how great it was to actually have substitutes for a change and wished that many people would show up every week.

Well today, just after getting home from buying turf shoes, I got a call from my neighbor saying that he'd been arguing with the unofficial "team captain" via email but in the end it was decided that there was no room for me on the team and I wasn't welcome to play with them again. I know it's not a matter of inexperience because it's a casual coed team. Apparently someone's just being a dick and wants me gone. At least my neighbor is being kind enough to reimburse the $10 fee, even though this wasn't his fault.

Edit: VVV and the money I spent on the turf shoes I don't see any use for in the future. I don't know, I'm just really disappointed because we've been talking about getting me on that team off and on since June and I thought it was really happening. That, and I haven't heard any reason for why I can't play, just that I can't.

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 16, 2010