Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?
Just started playing again after a few years of just randomly kicking it around every once in awhile. I was the backup varsity and starting JV (more fun, less pressure) keeper in high school and I'm currently playing with a pickup group on Saturday's. Going to have to find a new one soon though, as I'm heading back to school in a few weeks.

Anybody run such a group in/around Kalamazoo that might need a keeper?

Edit: What are some of the feelings on keepers and height in here? I'm fairly convinced the only reason I was backup keeper for the varsity in high school was because the other guy was about half a foot taller than me (I'm 5"8). Our skill levels were about the same, except he had a bit more power in his kicks and I was a bit quicker to the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

ShimSham posted:

His mom stormed the field like Jimmy Jump.

You want to talk about mom's storming the field? The last year I played we had Polish exchange student on the team. He was a pretty good ringer for Ivan Drago. A lot of people believed he was fleeing the Polish army and just pretending to be a teenager, but I always thought that was bullshit and he was just really big.

Well, the home schoolers in our area had their own team, and we had a game against them. They never actually managed to get anywhere near me, so I was just watching things from back in the box for most of the game. All of a sudden, I hear a gasp from the crowd and screaming from the other end of the field. Our Drago slid into one of the homeschoolers and broke his drat leg! You want to talk about parents going crazy, break the leg of a home schooled athlete. The upshot was that it took so long for the ambulance to get there that they just called the game right then, and we were up 1-0. I understand that their kid just had his leg broken, but the way this woman, and the others that ran down with her, acted, you'd think he'd been hit by the D.C. sniper or something.

McCloud24 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 16, 2010

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

Alctel posted:

The very last game I played in last week, I got an almighty kick to the shin that actually cracked the plastic a tiny bit, without shinpads that would have been a fractured bone at the very least

I didn't wear mine playing in my friendly league this year because I haven't played in a while and just didn't think to get a pair. Then I accidentally ended up sliding into someone (I'm a keeper) feet first and realizing I REALLY wouldn't have wanted to be the guy on the other end of that. He wasn't hurt, but he probably could've been considering that I was basically making a desperation tackle with whatever part of my body I could bring to bear. So I went out and bought a pair like a week ago.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

angry armadillo posted:

you kind of have to time you runs to meet him on the edge of the area and then slide up to the line.

This. I had crap defenders this year and I hadn't played seriously in a while, so I needed to re-learn my timing for coming after someone. I guess it must be something I've got a natural sense for, because my team doesn't practice, we just play once a week, and after one game I was taking the ball off of people's feet again almost every time I had to come forward.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

angry armadillo posted:

Generally in 6 a side round here the keeper can't come out the area and the players cant go in :(

I've only ever played 1 league where it was like 'normal' football and I'm generally a bit nuts and played a bit more like a sweeper, I'd be on the halfway line for corners :D

Yeah, I was playing six a side as well, but people could come and go out of the box as they pleased. I never came too far out when the ball was in the other half just because we were playing on a short field and it could get back to me at any time.

The biggest problem I had was that we were playing on an all-purpose out door turf field at my university. It has lines painted on it like an American football field, and some smaller lines in the middle of the field. Rather than set the goals so that the box was marked out by a solid line, it'd be marked out on top by one of those smaller lines, which were only about two feet wide, and a pair of cones to the side, placed parallel to the goalposts. The first game I played there were two or three times where I just didn't even realize I was outside of it and grabbed the ball instead of kicking it. Fortunately, there were two different refs, so both times I was able to convince them I just hadn't realized the extent of the box, which was true, but if it had been the first guy that had seen me the second time it would've been a free kick for the other team.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

iajanus posted:

All these horror stories about artificial grass makes me love the fact that here in aus we just play on grass fields, although some of them end up being mostly dirt by the end of winter if it's too hot....

I'm not a fan of turf because of the little rubber bits they use to simulate dirt. They get everywhere, and I've never gotten worse burns after sliding than I did in the first couple games of this season. I'm also still finding little pieces of artificial grass around my apartment. I don't hate it, but I definitely prefer grass.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

nervana posted:

what if they try to cross the ball? you just let them do it? :ohdear:

You don't necessary want to commit to trying to snag the ball, because a good player might be able to just go right around you, but like the poster above me said, you can't just let him cross it under no pressure. As a keeper, what I would want you to do would basically be to apply pressure to the point where he just doesn't have room to make the cross he wants and try to force some type of mistake, or at least for him to have to rethink his plan and dump it off to someone. If you get an opportunity to take the ball, great, but don't over-commit.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

Hallowed Turban posted:

I guess that's one issue, in that none of my games ever involve a fixed goalkeeper - we usually just rotate, and not just in friendlies. That said, I don't think a proper goalkeeper would make such a large difference in the scores. Maybe Scikar is right and we just don't defend very well - thankfully, neither do our opponents!

I once went to an indoor pickup thing having heard that they were always looking for keepers. The reason was because no one else wanted to do it. I saw everyone taking a knee after the game and I wondered what they were doing. Turns out the last one to take a knee had to play keeper. Needless to say they were kind of surprised when I said I not only wanted to, but that I'd keep doing it over multiple games.

Also in my outdoor league, I was the only consistent keeper, and probably the only player to play ever minute of his team's game. We had other teams that would rotate two or three times just during a game. Whenever the first keeper would allow too many they'd rotate, etc. The one I felt the worst for was this team we beat 6-0, because their first goalkeeper was this really fat woman, and they'd obviously chosen her thinking she could use her sheer width.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

iajanus posted:

Cheers, don't worry too much about height - hell, I'm only 5'10" :(.

5'8" here, and sorry guys, but all this talk about how hard it is for tall keepers makes me feel kind of awesome. Wherever I play I'm always the shortest keeper they've ever had, but I work a lot on leg strength and calisthenics so I can jump like crazy. It was pretty hard being taken seriously in high school as a keeper shorter than 5'10".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

Thirteenth Step posted:

What stretches/warmup routine do you guys have? I do a few token stretches before a game but nothing major, I figured a proper warmup routine will stop me from feeling like poo poo during and after.

I do a bit of stretching and then some light shooting drills. I'm the keeper for my team so once I'm stretched out I pretty much just get in goal while my teammates take turns shooting. That usually gets me plenty loose.