Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Kommienzuspadt posted:

from time to time i find myself browsing soccer.com or some other website trying to talk myself into buying new boots even though my old ones are perfectly fine. i dont know why i do it but some of them are just so pretty.

Me too. The new Adipures :allears:

I just joined a coed indoor team, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with any experience. The first game, I managed a hat trick in the first half before running out of gas (three months alternating between overseas travel and sea level in Nebraska, then playing in Colorado will do that)...our offensive strategy in the second half was "hey, you look like you know what you're doing, you try and score and we'll stand here and watch. Defend? No no, that's for chumps."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

TinkerBell posted:

I've got three pairs of these. :D

Jealous! I'm still rocking the Adipure I's in white/royal...thinking about getting the III's in white/gold.

As for shinguards, I wear the same pair of moldable Nike's I've worn since high school. Ankle guards are for girls.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Gaemblor posted:

For low and hard shots close to your body don't be afraid to stick a foot out to stop them. There's little chance of you controlling where the ball rebounds to but it's much quicker than diving down with your hands

Also, you're better positioned to deal with the rebound.

Pro tip: knock someone over as soon as possible. It'll make controlling your area that much easier.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Adipure!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
So my indoor team added a new guy, and he's definitely of the 'why play one touch when I can take seven and then lose the ball' mentality. Also, when he manages to retain possession, he can't finish to save his life.

It's a pretty low-key coed league, but even the players who are just out for the exercise are already starting to hate him.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Yeah, there's no touch limit, nor is there that silly rule that a girl has to touch the ball before a goal can be scored.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

hughsieblingwish posted:

Playing goals in all man league tomorrow, for the first time in a while. Need to prepare myself for the overly aggressive types.

I'll be playing in goal in an advanced/competitive league for the first time in a few years tomorrow. I grew up playing keeper, but since high school I've been playing forward/CAM.

Fortunately, I've typically got a few inches and 20-30 pounds on the hyperaggressive types. I usually win in aggression as well.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

John Zaibatsu posted:

Dunno how kosher this is for this thread, as it's gear rec request, but whatever. I play GK, just casually. I'm looking for a pair of new gloves. I've had a pair of Puma KSLs for a few years that have treated me well, and a pair of Reusch Duo Pro Bowls that have not, and have honestly turned me off or Reusch. I'm looking for a new pair from 40-60ish USD. I've had good luck with Puma over the years (my favorite gloves ever were the old cellerators with the black mesh back, silver plastic web, and the internal finger cages) but haven't gone shopping for gloves in, oh, 3 years. Point me in the right direction?

My friend has these and loves them http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Ne=646&N=4294960223+577+4294959027&Product_Id=486141

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
We won 8-6. We were up 4-1 at half, and the one goal I conceded was an own goal from the left back...it was a p good finish actually. We got up 6-1 early in the second half and apparently everyone decided that I could handle the rest of the game on my own.

I did get to crush the other team's mouthy forward when he challenged for a cross :D

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bling Bling posted:

Good win tonight in indoor over the team that had been top of the table. Played defense almost the whole game, and took care of biz pretty drat well, if i do say so. Blocked shots with my rear end, foot, leg, and well, hand. 2-1 FT. Starting to limp from a late knee someone put into my calf, though. Could you run me a bath, dear?

God, I need a defender like you.

We played the first place team this week as well and finished 2-2. I had to make three p good saves in the last 45 seconds thanks to some comedy defending.

In reality, we should have had at least six goals. No one on this team can finish, apparently. Several empty net rebounds were slammed wide when a simple touch would have sufficed.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

CAMiasm posted:

i'm going to go the library tomorrow to see if they have any books or tapes on goalkeeping. any recommendations?

http://www.jbgoalkeeping.com/links.html

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bacon of the Sea posted:

Cheers for that link Bobby, will come in tres useful.

It's pretty comprehensive. I found it a couple of years ago and bookmarked it even though I hadn't played in goal in ages.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Personally I'm not a fan of finger protection except for indoor games where you might face a lot of hard shots from close range. They've always felt restrictive on my hands.

https://www.great-save.com is a great place to look at gloves. The owner puts up video reviews of most of the new releases, and the prices are usually great even when you factor in overseas shipping.

https://www.theglovebag.com is another good place to look for reviews/info.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
We had our 3rd/4th playoff last night and won 4-2. I managed to score the last goal with about a minute left. Their keeper came charging upfield, played a quick one-two with their CF, and hit a weak shot at me. I dropped it, went around the AM, and lobbed it in from about 3/4 field :smugdog:

On a side note, I wore these for the first time and they are fantastic.

CAMiasm posted:

what do my fellow goalkeepers do to maintain their gloves?

Wash them every time you wear them. I think that's the biggest thing. Also, make sure the palms are always moist.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

hughsieblingwish posted:

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just wary. My brother recently turned his ankle in a game, played through then thought he was okay and just a bit tender for the next game. He goes to the doctor after who tells him he's a dick for not checking and he's done more damage playing on it again and is now out for two months.

Hey, sounds like me! A couple of years ago I tweaked a hamstring (or so I thought), then felt okay to play the next weekend.

That turned out well :negative:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
The Buffalo Chips.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Scikar posted:

Lost 6-5 in 11s when we were 5-4 up with 2 minutes to go. :(

Also, Scottish players are cunts. I've yet to see a Scot who didn't argue with the ref over every single decision through the entire match. The team yesterday appealed every single time the ball went out of play, every time any of their players got tackled, every time someone chested the ball down, every single time one of our players won a header, every time anyone made a through pass, it was ridiculous. Also standing over the ball every time we had a free kick and blocking off our keeper every time he tried to kick the ball out of his hands (despite repeated warnings).

What kind of a keeper lets that happen more than once? That makes Mad Jens cry.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Shrapnac posted:

I don't understand why people gently caress with goalies. They pretty much have free license to punch/kick/barge you whenever they feel like it and get the resulting call in their favor.

Depends on the ref. I got undercut while catching a cross with no foul called quite a few times last season.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Coed's a lot of fun, but in my experience you occasionally run into a girl who can play well but thinks she is allowed to cheap shot you because you're a guy.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Scikar posted:

Also don't neglect distribution. You need to be able to clear the halfway line with your goal kicks - it's probably preferable to play it short to a fullback but if you don't have the threat of a long kick the opposition will push up and the short pass won't be an option. And a good accurate throw is a massive asset if you manage to catch a corner and open up an instant counter.

This, so much. Good distribution gives your team a weapon most teams don't have.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
After about a year and a half of constant travel for work, I'll finally be in one location for a few months, which means I get to start playing again :D Now, to find a team or two in DC...

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

A bunch of our players got manhandled, including some of our more timid girls. Sure play aggressively with me, I can take it. I know how to fall. I can dive roll. But not our girls who just sit back and defend. uuggghhh.

That's the one thing that makes my blood boil when playing coed.

Congrats, you can tackle a girl; unfortunately, I tackle a lot harder than you do, and I'm certainly not above a retaliation clattering.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

tbp posted:

I could never play with those of you that get upset at tackling and aggressive play. I guess that's what I get from playing in competitive leagues my whole life. I step on the pitch and I'm just angry

Tackle me hard, that's fine. I'm used to it.

Tackle a 5'2" girl hard from behind, that's not fine.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

Sigh looks like Ill be the keeper for the summer.

Ive really never played much keeper. Anyone have any advice.

I want to start wearing knee pads... im always bruising my knees sailing and so any time I dive for a ball, it hurts like mad. But I also dont want to be a giant wuss.

Had a nice save tonight. We were down 3-1 with 2 minutes to go and had a corner so I went down to the other side of the field to try to score. Loose ball, they came up with it.... beat their striker back down the field and made the save.

So very tired.

http://www.jbgoalkeeping.com/

Read it, it's pretty great.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Also, wind up opposing players. It's pretty much the best part.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Yeah, if you need anything just get sleeves.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrast_shower

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
You can do a custom order at http://www.miadidas.com/US/Main.action For adipures, it's like an extra $15 over normal retail pairs.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
When I lived in Colorado, my pregame approach was "show up 90 minutes early and drink 3 beers at the bar overlooking the pitch."

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

After 2 decades at the highest level I think the secret is never to put your laces through the ball with 5-a-side goals, just sidefoot everything

You'll all be delighted to learn that following a tin of tuna mixed with cottage cheese and pineapple, a big bowl of fruit and fibre and an inplay diet coke I had the game of my life scoring 6 goals and setting up countless more

When I'm in a low carb phase, tuna, cottage cheese, and Sriracha is a staple.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
When I was 14, I got my hand stomped on in a goalmouth scramble. It wasn't until I noticed blood seeping out of the bottom of my glove that I realized something was wrong. The tip of my middle finger was absolutely mangled.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

britishbornandbread posted:

Played in goal for a five a side team about four/five years ago. Dived in at someone's feet who went in stomping. Right hand got a good set of studs. Went home, went about my business as normal, but when my finger wouldn't deflate and go back to it's normal colour my GF at the time insisted on going to A&E. Broken finger, and had I not been in sooner it may have had to come off :stare:

It's permanently bent now, and feels a bit sore during cold weather. I still pop in goal when needed these days though.

Yeah, mine's still pretty disgusting 12 years later, and that final joint is a bit creaky.

I got booted in the head later that year after making a save. Was out cold and woke up to the ref giving me a yellow for faking an injury. With blood streaming down my forehead.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

NinjaSteve posted:

Get the Zanzibar shirt. http://www.uksoccershop.com/products/9942.html
There's definately cheaper ones floating around somewhere too.

Think I just found my new keeper shirt.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
The last time I played in a coed indoor league, I got tackled into the wall by a girl and ended up gashing my arm open on the corner of the bench door. Somehow, it wasn't a foul. gently caress that.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Guitar_Hero posted:

There is no 4?

4) ??????

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Dude, they make pants for a reason.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Tights? Jesus wept.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I wish Adidas still made the Adipure turf model :(

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
So I guess the Predator and F50 got drunk and had a baby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

mixitwithblop posted:

Regarding panicking when you're on the ball... first build some skills and get comfortable dribbling/passing, then play a lot of pickup. It's really tough at first and even good/pro players panic sometimes. I think a lot of that is a mental thing.

Going along with that, mastering a move or two that you can rely on to create space goes a long way towards helping you calm down.