Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I played in middle school and for my high school team back in the day; I was a center back for most of it though occasionally my high school coach would put me in as a defensive midfielder. Im fairly tall (6'4") and have been for a long time so I was good for headers and knocking guys over but constantly got nutmegged because I was slow and there's like a mile of space between my legs when Im trying to defend.

I went to high school on a military base for American kids in Italy and we played against the other military base schools in our league from Italy and occasionally from Germany. We also had the excitement of playing against the teams from private boarding schools (for diplomats kids, business people's kids, rich Italians, etc) in Rome and Milan. These guys constantly tore us apart and the few of us on my team who were actually Italian got a lot of grief for playing with the Americans and being "zingari" (gypsies) since we weren't rolling in money like they were. They really steamrolled us every time though; one of the kids on one of the Milan squads was playing in the Inter youth system as well.

I scored one memorable goal in high school from slightly back of the midfield line. I went to desperately clear the ball, the opposing team's goalkeeper was way too far up and the ball went right over him and in to the net. I didn't even realize that I had scored until my teammates mobbed me. I thought it had gone over the goal and got caught in the rear netting.

I've since gained 70+ pounds and clumsily play in my company's equivalent of a beer league for footy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

the posted:

Two "blue" cards though (I guess they use those in place of yellow)

I go hard but I'm not sloppy, drat.

I played in a league where you got blues for just general fouls and got a yellow for x blues. It was to discourage fouling to begin with I presume.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

the posted:

I have these, which I recently got after upgrading my shin guards that I'd had for about a decade. I think they're fantastic. They're extremely light weight, and the ankle protection is top notch.

I'm a defender, so I'm often going extremely hard onto 50/50 balls where protection is important. I have to say I don't feel a thing even when making very hard contact with another player.

I have the same ones. They're quite comfortable, and Im glad for the ankle protection now that Im slower and not as agile. I used to wear the tiny ones that covered half of your shin when I played in high school, but I was able to dodge a lot more hard hits, so I didn't need the extra protection. If I ever get back to being as quick as I used to be, I'll probably switch back.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I got burned about 20 times playing center back against my neighborhood Brazilians today. I'm so out of shape :negative:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Any thoughts on how to heal torn skin on your foot quickly? I hadn't played in a couple months and I played a full game of 5 a side last night and the area on the bottom of my foot right behind the toes has some nasty abrasions on it. I put some ointment on it last night and they started to heal over night, but Im wondering if you guys know of anything that'll help speed it up.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

WhaleFarmerJohn posted:

Apply 3-5 layers of New-Skin, it's a godsend.

Thought you were joking with the name, but looked it up anyway. Sounds perfect! Thanks!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Kiros posted:

Any tips on defending wide since he likes to wing poo poo into the box?

Pressure, pressure, pressure. Force him to make a mistake. Most wingers I played against have always had one or two moves to lose a defender - learn those moves and anticipate them. It's common sense, I know, but it's the best I can give. The less time he has on the ball to make an accurate cross the better.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Just got back from playing, and I have a huge welt on the top of my shin. I was trying to play an attacker along the back line and force him to go out, but he tried to chip the ball over me and ran right in to my shin with his knee when he started to chase it. I had to sit out for a few minutes, but I played the rest of the game. In retrospect I probably should have just iced it right away; Im gonna have a nasty bruise in the morning.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

The keeper on my indoor squad wears them. I think he's nuts (ho ho).

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Ninpo posted:

The yellow Nike balls are fantastic in low light if you can find one.

Gotta agree wit this. The yellow balls are better than the green Mitre ones I used in my youth.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Rankine Over Gash posted:

Our six a side keeper played a blinder last week. Though we were beaten badly he pulled off some stunning saves. I like to play in goal now and again but being 6'6" is a shitter with those low goals. Difficult to get down and across in time.

I've always had a nightmarish time playing keeper in those 5 or 6 a side goals (Im 6'4"). I start playing more like a hockey goalie than a proper keeper.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Xylorjax posted:

I'm so old.

Still the best boots I've ever owned.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Soulex posted:

Goons, I need your help.

I am looking into getting into football, and I am trying to get cleats. The problem is, I wear the 9.5 wide shoe (American sizing) and I need to know if buying a 9.5 and just switching out the insert would help me, or if I should bump it up to a 10 or the like. The cleats in question are here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3467399&pagenumber=1#pti17 and this would greatly help me get the stuff I need and for cheap.

When I run, I use a 10.5, but I was told since I will be kicking the ball, this might cause some issues with all the extra space. Is there a simple solution for this? Or will I be needing to go to a specialty shop and paying 100-150 euro for a pair of cleats?

Im not sure about your specific sizing questions but you should always get boots that are snug rather than too big. An boot with any maneuvering space will give you blisters immediately in places you didn't think you could get blisters in. Definitely don't get a 10.5. For reference, I wear a 12 for my regular shoes and running shoes and I wear a full size smaller for boots.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

There's something to be said for playing on a poo poo surface with a poo poo ball, though. When you ultimately get back to playing on a proper pitch everything feels so easy.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Olewithmilk posted:

Hey guys, has anyone ever had any look joining a six-a-side team where they don't really know anyone? I've had to move away from where I usually live for a couple of months due to my job and it's getting a bit boring just spending my free time in my room. I was gonna email the manager of the local six-a-side league and ask if any of the teams need a spare player. What do you reckon, good idea/bad idea?

Good idea for sure. Unless you've moved to a prison I don't see why this would be a bad idea.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Breath Ray posted:

yeah i have no stamina so it would be good to know how to increase it. going for a run with bursts of sprinting seems best but I don't know the increments

When I played more seriously I found it easier to not bother with interval counts and just sprint until I felt like I wasn't able to do it anymore, then jogged/walked until I was up for a sprint again.

Im out of shape now and I've recently been doing 30 second full sprints, 90 second recovery about 6 times. My endurance has already increased after a few weeks, and I feel an in shape person could easily increase the sprint times or decrease the recovery time.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Breath Ray posted:

Thanks guys, just what I was looking for. I have a nice long sloping garden so I can even wear my boots! Think I should do this every day or every other?

definitely give yourself a rest especially at the beginning. At least a day if not two, and you'll need it if you're doing it properly.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

relative_q posted:

I'm getting back into playing after having not really done so for about a bazillion years, mostly playing right back in pickup games. I may be joining a league pretty soon, but I'm a little fatter than I'd like to be, and definitely low on stamina. Anyone have any recommendations for books on training regimens and such? I'd really like to get a bit more serious about getting fit than just doing ball control drills in my living room with my cat.

Interval sprints. Check out any guide to high intensity interval training. If you've got a field to mess around in, do your sprints with a ball, that way you're building fitness and ball control.

Right back is probably one of the worst positions you can play in if you're out of shape - did you choose that?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Frinkahedron posted:

Any tips for avoiding friction blisters? I need to get new socks for sure, mine are pretty ratty and old now, but I'm still breaking in my new boots. Is that something that'll just go away as they break in? I haven't worn a new pair of boots in probably 4 years.

Liquid bandage. Play with some good socks at first and when you feel the points where the blisters would form, put some of that poo poo over them before you play. Works like a charm.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Bobby Digital posted:

I finally found a team to play on for my stay in Minneapolis. I'll be splitting time with another keeper and playing field the rest of the time. We had a scrimmage last night where I played forward, which quickly devolved into "lump it to the big guy (me)". Fortunately, I am not Andrew "Andy" Carroll. Perhaps more fortunately, the opposition center backs were both about 5'9".

Strangely, it sounds like I might end up playing right back, which is entirely new to me. I don't think I've ever seen a guy my size (6'3", 210) play right back before.

I played right back in high school/college and I'm 6'4", and at the time (ahem) I was a gangly 195 pounds. Your big stride will help you, but short attackers are a nightmare to deal with.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

I know it's not directed at me, but thanks for this, I find it very interesting. As I previously mentioned in this thread, I haven't really been practicing soccer at any point during my life, without pickups during elementary school. Just recently I've been having alot of fun practicing dribbling, juggling and shooting. I basically do it for fun, but since I'm so old, is it pretty much moot to practice at all? I mean, since I've barely done any technical training before, does this mean it's too late? I don't mean playing in any semi-pro teams, obviously, I'm thinking more in amateur games. Will I not see any difference, mainly because I'm so old? I know it's sort of a dumb question, because obviously there should be some improvement if you keep at it, but, basically it's too late?

One of the great things about football is that it's easy to play well, but difficult to play great. It's never too late to learn, especially if you're only playing for fun. There are lots of positioning things that you can learn at any age. Knowing where you need to be is simple; the hard part is figuring out how you are going to get there and to think two steps ahead.

Technique wise it might take a bit to get rid of bad habits you may have picked up but in a non-competitive environment it shouldn't matter much anyway. Clearly you're out there to have fun and get some exercise, so do exactly that!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I've found that only people who have played defense at a level where there were tactics involved want to play defense. It's frustrating.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Soulex posted:

I love playing defense. Nothing satisfied me more than shutting someone down.

Same. I played right back for the longest time and I loved it, but now I'm old fat and poo poo and I can't hack it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Adulterous Hitler posted:

What is the best way to tell a player not to participate in future pick-up 5-a-side games anymore?

The only time my old group had to do this, we took a two week break and didn't tell him. When we all showed up again he wasn't there. It was a bad passive aggressive way to do it, but it worked.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

If you aren't calling everyone on the pitch a loving piece of poo poo then you're playing in a bullshit league.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Thel posted:

I should technically hide out in the ref thread, but I figure I'd ask here since there's a bigger crowd.

Any pro tips for dealing with boot chafing? New boots (our season down here started over the weekend) and by the time I got to the sheds my heels were missing a layer of skin (at the back, slightly to the outside of the foot, just above ground level standing flat. Basically where the callous-y bit *should* be). My current plan is basically band-aids (I have some super-sticky large waterproof ones), then moleskin, then strapping tape to hold the moleskin in place. That and lacing my boots a bit less aggressively.

A bit of liquid bandage in the affected area before you put your socks on works great. Don't bother with actual band aids, they'll slip when you sweat and make it worse.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

My opinion on tactical fouls is to do something that has the smallest chance of hurting the person. I've go for obvious shoulder shoves or even pushing most of the time. Clumsy slide tackles or just yanking the guy down by his shirt collar can get you an easy red and hurt the other player.

Of course depending on the ref you have to watch out for you being the last thing between the layer and your keeper. I've seem some really iffy " goal scoring opportunities" result in reds.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

BISCUIT_TINS posted:

I'm gonna be playing right back next season, and one thing I've always struggled with is crossing while running. I can cross fine from a standing position but I can't get my head around crossing while running - foot positioning, where to hit the ball etc. Can anybody help me with this?

Start your kicking motion before you're physically where you want to cross the ball from, this comes with practice but have a cross in mind before you do it. This will prevent you from hooking one in and falling over backwards with the ball going nowhere. Don't try to scoop the ball up with the top of your foot like you're chipping it, you use the inside/front portion of your boot to get the lift you want. This is easier said than done and takes a bit of practice, but once it clicks you'll find this whole maneuver a lot easier. If you have the space, dribble the ball a little further forward than you normally would for your last touch before the cross and try to hit the ball as it's barely moving forward.

All of this takes practice, but placing the cross in the correct way on your foot can be practiced against a wall. Place the ball stationary somewhere then run parallel with the wall and try to pick a spot on it that you want to hit. As you get better at this try doing it with the ball moving.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Soulex posted:

So, went to the doctor today and was told that I do not have shin splints, I have Compartment syndrome in both my legs

Essentially, I'm out for a long time if things go bad. This loving sucks.

Take some percs and handle it!!!!

No but seriously that's lame.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Soulex posted:

So I finally got word back from my doctor. Surgery is a must.

A normal compartment syndrome test is loving brutal. To break it down, there are four compartments in your lower legs. To test the pressure of the legs, they insert a needle into each of the compartments and test the pressure. To do this, they have to break through the fascia, which cases the muscle. This doesn't stretch, and having to poke through this is not pleasant. After sticking the needles in all four of the compartments on both legs, you then exercise until you start to hurt really bad in your legs. Then, they lay you down, and stick needles back in the compartments. My resting rate was 17 on two of my compartments in both legs. After exercise, the highest was 81. The doctor who took it said it was one of the higher pressures he has personally taken.

I just got the word today that I will have to have surgery on both of my legs. Starting in March, I'll begin the procedure. It's sad because I'll be out for two months per leg. 4 months total, starting in March. This puts me at the end of my time in Germany, and essentially the end of me playing football until I can get back to normal strength. That's IF the surgery goes well.

If you want to read more about compartment syndrome, check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartment_syndrome and the surgery procedure here :nms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasciotomy :nms:

I'm unsure how I got it, and why it's so loving bad, but at least it's getting fixed. I have 2 pairs of boots that have one whole day played in them (one SG and one regular). Not being able to play drives me loving insane.

Does anyone else have any history with this that can tell me what I should expect?

Are you Airborne by any chance? I had a few mil friends back in the day that swear they developed minor compartment syndrome just from jumps. In any case I hope the surgery goes well, that sounds like an awful condition.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Adulterous Hitler posted:

I'm a big fan of the D play.

You love the D.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

A banana and a red bull before getting there, dynamic stretching (high kicks, heel kicks, etc) and a jog around the pitch. Does the trick.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Soulex posted:

The doc said standard protocol says wheelchair for 2 weeks, but he thinks that's stupid. So crutches for me right now. Lots of staying in bed.

Thanks for the support all. As soon as I am allowed to take my bandage off (5 days) I'll finally get to see how bad it really looks.

The four ride home was torture. gently caress Army hospital locations abroad

Landstuhl? At least it's the best military one in Europe. Hope you recover quickly!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Your doctor is willfully ignoring standard protocol and you are cool with this?

It's the military. Standard protocol is usually loving retarded.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Outdoor season is here finally and I'm playing 11vs11 and apparently this year the team wants me to move from my usual holding midfield/destroyer role into a centrehalf because both of our starting CBs hosed off and moved on to bigger and better things. I'm only 1.82m tall and I was wondering if there was any specific things I should be working on because the first team we are playing has a massive 2m tall striker originally from Africa. I know I am probably going to lose out on every single aerial battle but I also am worried about his strength, I'm not the strongest player on the pitch. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to disrupt his game? I already have decided I'm going to do my usual dirty player tactics, step on his feet during set pieces to prevent him from jumping, give him the occasional "accidental" jab in the ribs when fighting for a ball in the air and that type of thing, but aside from being a dirty oval office is there anything like I should be working on to not embarrass myself on the pitch?

Use your lower center of gravity and your hips to put him off balance on set pieces. Don't hip check him obviously, but don't be afraid to use your lower torso to push in to his thighs and such. Wiry little fuckers used to do that to me when I went up for corners and free kicks and it drove me insane.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Xylorjax posted:

EDIT: Fitness.

It's this. Since none of us are pros or semi pros (I think) no matter where you play you're going to get plenty of people who are out there just for the exercise, which is perfectly fine, but it leads to things like people never

because you have to run to do that. I don't really care, but it is common everywhere.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Soulex posted:

Czech Republic?

Costa Rica, Know Your Posters!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

These coed rules are insane.

Last time I played coed was in a pickup game though and the girl that showed up was really good and made a mess of a few fat engineers (like me).

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

My most annoying shortcoming is that when I come up on offense and get a pass across the goal from left to right, I find myself more often than not blowing the conversion and hitting it with my right foot wide to the right side of the goal. Is it just the direction of my plant foot? I've converted a few, but spraying the ball wide is insanely frustrating.

Point your whole body toward the goal, the more of you that faces in that direction the more likely you are to put it there. I do this a lot too so I should probably listen to my own advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

blueyedevil posted:

How do you guys take care of your feet?

Liquid bandage when you're starting to get blisters but really this

cosmicjim posted:

Wear socks and shoes that fit.