Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

I play on a couple of coed teams because it makes guys like me feel good to outrun girls.

On my outdoor team, I'm defensive mid or fullback depending on the formation (and whether or not our sweeper is uninjured). I can play either side but I'm more comfortable on the left. I'm pretty quick, so the DMC role suits me well, although my touch is not what it once was (but it's getting better thanks to indoor over the summer). This is also a geezer league (over thirty), which is extra nice because being just over thirty and fairly fit (relatively speaking) I can outrun the 50-60 somethings, too.

Over the summer break, about half of the team plays indoor where I get to play much more of an attacking role, filling in as forward when our regular scorers aren't there. I've racked up five goals and a couple of assists over about a dozen games, and even got my first ever hat-trick (granted, the other team was really really really really really absolutely horrible. Their goalie told me it was his second time playing soccer, ever). Unfortunately we don't do as well at indoor as we do at outdoor, because while our team is all over thirty, all the other teams in the indoor league aren't. But hey, I get to play, so I'm happy.

Oh, and Adidas Copas all the way, motherbitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Season started last week for my coed team, we played a brand new team that was absolutely lost out there on the pitch. We dominated from start to finish, keeping the ball on their half for all but probably 5 minutes total - but we couldn't put the loving ball in the loving net. No kidding, we had probably two dozen shots on goal at the very least, and half of those hit the post or the crossbar, and the others went straight to the keeper - who, by the way, was a loving fatass that got WINDED in the first half. How the gently caress a keeper gets winded, I have no idea. The ref had to warn him a few times that he was delaying the game with his goal kicks.

After all that we lost on a penalty. :suicide:

Yesterday we played the team that was favored to win the division this season and outplayed them all up and down the field, despite having no subs for the girls, losing one of them just before the half to injury, then losing another to injury with about 10 minutes left. I played sweeper since our regular one threw out his back last week, and I even managed to save a goal about a foot from the goal line when our keeper went down trying to stop a breakaway. Our attackers found their mark today, though, and we won 3-0. Sweet.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Had a couple of typical game for my coed team these last two weeks, sucking in the first half and dominating in the second. Last week's opponents could only field seven players (the bare minimum to avoid a forfeit) and they managed to go up one thanks to our goalie misreading a near breakaway. Second half starts, our two forwards work the ball straight up the middle, and three passes and about 20 seconds later, we equalize. We ended up with four total to their one, including an incredible strike from a midfielder from about 20 yards out that blasted right into the top right corner of the net. I was directly behind that, too, it was one of the best goals I've ever witnessed first-hand.

True to form, this Sunday we go down three in the first half against a team that basically had no attack. Seriously. I was playing sweeper/left fullback (switching out with our recently recovered sweeper) and when we were on the attack, which was most of the game, there were no forwards to mark, they just weren't pushing up at all. Which makes it even more embarrassing to allow three goals, although I suppose we could blame the weather a little bit, it was muddy and raining and our goalie did get a hand on every single one of the goals, they just slipped through. Fifteen minutes into the second half we equalize, and kept the pressure on the rest of the game but just couldn't put another one in.

This last ref absolutely sucked, though, and even the opposition agreed that he had been favoring them and making ridiculous calls all around. At one point he called a handball in the penalty box, but instead of awarding a penalty kick, he calls for an indirect kick about two feet outside the six-yard box. We scored, despite their entire team forming a wall on the goal line, but that call was just idiotic.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Played in goal a bit this weekend as our regular keeper is out of the country. Thankfully we dominated and I only had to scoop up all of three loose balls in the first half. For the second half, one of our midfielders who was sitting out this game just to be safe his pulled thigh muscle would be healed for next week, decided he was fit enough to stand in goal, and since we were ahead 4-0 and the other team had no attack to speak of, no one really thought anything about it, and I was happy to get back to the outfield and run around some.

And of COURSE we give up a goal at that point - some fat dude lobs a desperation ball over the defense and while it should have been an easy but still overhead catch for the stand-in keeper, he tries to jump to get it and immediately pulls his thigh again. He gets about an inch off the ground as a result and misses the ball, which goes in the net. We still ended up winning 7-1, but now he's out for at least another week.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Apologies for the long post, but I've got to vent.

I've just about had it with my coed team. We had our first game of the season yesterday and dominated our opponents, who had just been relegated and were a very strong team, for nearly the entire game (they had one, maybe two well-organized attacks, and their only real threat came from one quick guy who they kept trying to send through balls to, but we managed to shut him down fairly well). The reason we dominated, IMO, is because the women on our team are among the best in the division and we actually use them - many teams we've played never use their women as anything more than just slowly moving obstacles. This team was no different, their guys just worked the ball amongst themselves and the women only ever got the ball from deflections or misplaced passes or whatever, and they almost always panicked and just booted it in whatever direction they happened to be facing.

Our women are different, they're not amazing ball handlers (lol) but they can work it around enough to find a good pass or even take a shot. One in particular plays left forward (we play 3-4-3) and has the best skills of all our women, she's great at bringing the ball up the left wing and actually keeping possession, and she can cross it well from that side, too, being left-footed. Above all, ALL of our women are freaking TENACIOUS on defense, and are a serious pain to the other team because they simply do not give up and aren't afraid to get physical if need be.

Now, despite our domination and plenty of chances, we won only because of a penalty. But we still won, and while some of our play was sloppy and disorganized (mainly due to the few who don't ever play except on game days), we did very well against what we thought was a better team.

So what happens the minute we hit the sideline after the final whistle? Half our girls, two in particular, start complaining that the guys never pass to the women. EVER. They singled out two of the midfielders in particular, claiming that they go out of their way to not have to pass to any girls at all, but pretty much whined about all the guys never passing to any of the girls, period. Our captain pointed out that it wasn't true, giving specific examples of different points in the game where we worked it up the left side where there are women at left mid and left forward. He also pointed out that there are just as many girl outfielders as guy outfielders, but they were having none of it.

Then they start rounding on me for "playing out of position", which they've done before but since they were riled up already I got a double dose of it. My heinous crime was simply overlapping with a midfielder (I was left fullback). We had even discussed it briefly beforehand because he was running out of steam (being one of the aforementioned few who play only on game days). Of course, it worked beautifully as the other team had committed their entire left side to the attack, and by moving up slightly I made space for a nice pass down the line from my teammate and was able to bring it all the way up to our attacking third and set up an attack of our own, with no threat on the left side. The midfielder stayed back and covered my position, and when play allowed, we swapped back. But as soon as I took three steps forward with the ball at my feet, I hear screams of "OMG WTF LAZLOW WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU'RE A FULLBACK" and of course those people just stop dead in their tracks instead of just playing on. And the ref even made a comment to me as I tracked back, with a sarcastic "Oh my god, time for everyone to panic!!"

Is it just me, or is this bullshit typical of coed teams? Some crap like this is to be expected whenever men and women play together, but yesterday it really got out of hand. And we loving won!! Part of the problem, I suspect, is that three of our eight women are our captain's sisters, and another is his girlfriend of many years. So there's half the women who feel that they've got the captain on their side no matter what, and I know for a fact that he hates that poo poo because he's said so many times.

What really gets my goat is the "playing out of position" bullshit. This is not baseball, this is not a game of fixed positions. It's a fluid, dynamic game where doing the unexpected is expected, and for gently caress's sake, overlapping is NOT unexpected. Even having a fullback bring the ball up past the halfway line to help set up an attack isn't out of the ordinary - you loving push up and get in the attack, you don't stand there and ask me, "WHERE ARE YOU GOING, PASS THE BALL!!!"

Whew. That was cathartic.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

the posted:

I don't think that's particular to women players, and your post reeks of GBS-style "HEH WOMEN" attitude. I've had plenty of male players who whine shitloads about the same issues, and I've played on plenty of COED teams with women who don't complain at all, even good players like you described.

Yeah, I know it sounds chauvinistic but hopefully that's just from typing it all out in a frustrated hurry. As I say, our women are among the best in the division, and I chose to play coed, and seriously wouldn't want be on any other team because I want to play with them. I've stuck with this team for three seasons now because I love it. It just got bad yesterday, and was so out of left field because we had won, and they seemed really pissed off despite the win.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Shrapnac posted:

TBH, every coed team I have played on the women have, I hate to say it because it sounds awful, known their place. They know they're not as skilled as the guys, they're plenty good for women, just not as good as the men and the play will reflect that. They're tenacious on defense though, it's ridiculous.

It's that way with this one, too, but mainly because, I think, a lot of the guys are just so much bigger than the women, and this is an over-thirty league. Our once prevalent "I'M GONNA KILL THAT loving BALL" attitude has been replaced with "I hope I don't break a part of my body today", and they don't play as aggressively as a result - EXCEPT on defense, as you say. Our women have been given warnings by the league for being too aggressive, which only makes them angry. :ohdear:

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Copa!

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Bobby Digital posted:

So my indoor team added a new guy, and he's definitely of the 'why play one touch when I can take seven and then lose the ball' mentality. Also, when he manages to retain possession, he can't finish to save his life.

It's a pretty low-key coed league, but even the players who are just out for the exercise are already starting to hate him.

Are the men allowed as many touches as they want in your indoor coed league? Mine only allows three touches for the guys but no limit for the girls. I don't know if I like it. It encourages a fast game, and our passing has definitely improved, but when you get stuck you're hosed.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Scikar posted:

3 touches is great for training. It doesn't just teach you to keep the ball moving as a team, it teaches you to be efficient with it as an individual. If you take four touches between receiving a pass and moving in the direction you want to, that's a whole lot of time where someone can close you down and you haven't had a chance to look up to pick a pass yet. If you can comfortably control the ball and move it where you want it all in one move, you've got all the time you need now to look up and pick someone to pass it to.

That's exactly why we play, to stay in good form for our outdoor 11-a-side league. The outdoor season after our first indoor season saw us go from last place to second in our division.

Our indoor league doesn't use the "girl touches before a goal" rule, although girl goals are worth 2, which is probably the norm.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Had an outdoor game yesterday against what have to be the friendliest side in our division. At one point as left back I pushed their better forward out wide and forced him to take a shot/cross that went out behind the goal, and he turned to me and just gushed with praise, "Oh, man, that was GREAT defending, good work, I never had a chance! Way to go!" Took me completely by surprise, I'm so used to people just bitching all the time I was speechless. When we won 3-2 (thanks to a girl goal) I almost felt bad for them. (Almost.)

They were a decent match for us for a while but they had no midfield to speak of, so once we figured that out we just maintained possession and kept pounding the goal until another one went in (our first was off a freekick right at the top of the box). Story of our life, though, we must've had close to a couple dozen shots on goal but only one went in. :/

Plus there was a stupid drainage ditch around three sides of the pitch, and nearly every time the ball went out it ended up in the water, so we'd have to go fetch the "hook" (a long piece of pvc pipe) and fish it out. I tried to stop it once early on and ended up waist-deep in it. Kept me cool for the game, I suppose, but I smelled like poo poo all day.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Played in goal yesterday on account of me being the first to say, "[Regular goalie] is out, who's going to take his place?" Ended up with a 1-0 win, not bad. Had one tricky save from a tricky shot and a couple of decent saves from half-assed shots, but otherwise our defense kept the attackers at bay very nicely.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Dang, I really wanted to post "JESUS SAVES!" but he turned out to be a bit of a poo poo goalie.

Cool highlights, though, thanks for sharing.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Tongues posted:

Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of shin splints? Bastards are the bane of my existence

I loving hear you, man. I've suffered from this forever, and only recently have I found some stretches that have all but eliminated them. The problem, though, is that "shin splints" is a generic term that applies to basically any lower leg pain, but the most common muscle affected is the tibialis anterior (the muscle that runs parallel to the shin bone, just outside it).

Here's an extremely lovely cellphone picture of the stretch:

Sit and cross your leg, putting your right ankle on your left knee. Take the top of your right foot in your left hand and place the heel of your right hand against the back of your right heel for leverage. Pull the top of your foot and toes to stretch that muscle, moving your foot around to where you feel the best stretch. Do this for about 10-20 seconds, firmly massage the muscle for a few more, then do the other leg. (You can't really do this with shoes/ankle guards/shin guards on, so do it before you gear up.)

Once I added this to my regular warm-up/stretch routine the pain all but disappeared. Remember to do standing calf/hamstring stretches as well.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Tongues posted:

loving yes! Cheers man, this is actually right where I was having issues. Lucky you came along, I ran into my coach today and he told me we've got a practice match next week......against a team in State 1, roughly 6 divisions above ours. Gonna get proper reamed. Anyone got any good pointers for these situations? If it wasn't a friendly match I'd be severely ramping up the physicality. Maybe some melbourne goons who've taken on the geelong rangers before?

No prob. Like identikit said, stretch like a mofo before you play, a dynamic warm-up/stretch routine is ideal (as opposed to just standing there and stretching for half an hour), and remember the cool-down stretching, too. Good luck with the reaming.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Was just looking at the table for my outdoor 11s coed league, and much to my surprise my team is in first place, tied on points but with a 9 goal lead on the second place team - and with two games in hand over them, no less. We play them this weekend and are bound to win again, looks like we're going to run away with the division this year.

They use a weird point system, though: 3 for a win, 2 for draw, and 1 for a loss. This is why we're tied with the second place team, who's 3-2-3 while we're 5-0-1. Anyone else's league do this? What's the reasoning behind it?

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

That makes sense, and probably has something to do with the fact that the league doesn't use any tiebreaking method (other than points and GD).

That also explains why my team's GD is only 2, while the second place team's is -7. Looks like the only reason they're up that high is because they've played more games than anyone else.

In any case, yay, promotion! We're gonna be crushed in Div 2.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

I just try to eat some carb-y stuff like pasta about three hours before game time and avoid fatty stuff like cheese or ice cream. Obviously avoid fast food poo poo or deep-fried stuff (but chances are if you play regularly you probably already are). If I get hungry I snack on veggies or apples, but I avoid citrus because I read on some sports nutrition site somewhere that it'll actually dehydrate you. A girl on my team (who's a personal trainer) brings honey and melba toast for quick energy fixes.

Most important though is to start drinking water early so you don't end up drinking a bucketful right before kickoff and you're sloshing around like a water balloon. A decent rule of thumb is to drink at least a liter for every hour you expect to play, although proper hydration varies with everyone.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

The good news today is we won 2-1 thanks to an 89th minute goal. Gotta love those. The bad news is we should've been ahead at least 6-1 at the half because the other team was down 3 men. :saddowns:

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

We were short a female player today for my coed 11's and only had one male sub to boot, and ended up playing left wingback (as opposed to normal left back) in 90 degree heat. Holy gently caress is that a lot of work. Had some good runs up the wing, though, good dribbling and evading defenders, and even connected with a low but well-placed left-footed (my weaker foot, but I've been practicing) cross smack dab into the center of the penalty box, finding the center forward who then had his shot blocked. But we won 6-2, so no complaints. That was our last league game of the season, and we finished top of the table, so hello Div II!

Tired as hell and I've got a 7's game tomorrow evening, but I'll probably be in goal for that one. I HOPE I'll be in goal for that one.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

loving horrible game of 7s last night. Was in goal for most of the first half and was fairly pleased with my positioning, forcing at least two shots from fairly severe angles to go wide and stopping a few others. But even so I let four in, three of which came from them taking the ball down the wing almost to the touch line and giving an easy pass to someone coming right up the center, unmarked. The fourth was a humiliating high, looping ball hit from the half line that slipped right through my gloves. :downs:

So question for goalies: In that situation, with the ball having come down the wing and the attacker cutting in along the touch line and closing in on goal, I position myself just outside the near post to either avoid having a shot deflected into the net or prevent the shot altogether. Isn't this right? Everything I've read says to do this, but of course it leaves the entire face of the goal open for a quick pass back up to the top of the area and an easy one-touch in. But if the sweeper's doing his job, then there shouldn't BE an unmarked attacker standing in the box. And if the near-post fullback's doing HIS job, then there shouldn't be a pass inside, either.

Ended up losing 7-2, thanks to an own goal from one of the forwards and the next goalie getting nutmegged twice.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Thanks for all the feedback, guys, it at least helps justify my righteous seething, as one of you said. I think I mentioned I'm not a keeper but am suddenly default backup keeper for my coed team, and having played keeper all of once at work (over a year ago at that, we don't even play with keepers there anymore except for this evening league) was picked for that as well, although we have been rotating a little and I'm hoping to stay at defender tonight.

To answer the questions: I did wet my gloves, actually, and I had my hands in the W or diamond as best I could, and stopped a couple of straight-on shots. The one I missed went more over the tops of my fingers due to me not getting back enough, I think. It wasn't a shot, it was more a high cross that dive-bombed behind me and to my left. I was out at the top of the six-yard box when he hit it because he was way out at the half line.

When the attackers are far out on the wing I do watch for a cross more than a pass. However, the field isn't full size so it's not unreasonable to see a pass from that distance. In these cases the other night, though, they were pretty close up due to either beating the fullback or rounding him out by the corner, so I covered for the shot. The center back (at that time) was non-existent the entire first half, basically. He's an inexperienced oaf who insists he's the best player on the field yet can't receive a pass, can't move the ball, refuses to run, and spent his entire time as "sweeper" in the opponent's half of the field, much of it in the attacking third crowding the forwards.

Whenever I'm keeper I DO yell a lot, mainly because the keeper I play with the most isn't very vocal at all and I hate that. It's hard, though, with a center back like I just mentioned who's out of earshot most of the time, refuses to listen anyway, and pretty much has no idea what he's doing at all: I told him that as last man it's his responsibility to make sure no one runs into the area unmarked like that, his response was that when he pushes up he can't be expected to cover the center back. I said you're the loving CENTER BACK, you cover the CENTER BACK, you don't push up, especially when we're playing 3-2-1. Couple that with a right back who kept sprinting up into the penalty area just chasing the ball around and you can't be surprised at the loss.

Anyway that's done with, tonight's another game and hopefully the sucky players won't show.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

unicron posted:

suicides?

Starting at the goal line, sprint to the top of the 6-yard box, then back to the goal line, then to the top of the 18-yard box, then back to the goal line, then to the half line, then back to the goal line, then to the other 18-yard box, then back to the goal line, then to the other 6-yard box, then back to the goal line, then to the far goal line, then back to the and so on.

Doing them in the heat is, well, extra suicide.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

You whiny whippersnappers - I've got 10-15 years on you guys and I play 45 hard minutes every day at lunch plus full 90 minute matches on the weekend, and aside from a little stiffness the morning after, I've got no complaints. Of course, I can't bend two toes on my right foot and one of those was likely broken some time in the last 2-3 months because it's found a jaunty new angle, and my lower back gets stiffer than it used to...

But I'm not complaining. Just acknowledging. :clint:

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

hughsieblingwish posted:

absolutely, co-ed leagues are much more chilled out. sometimes it gets a bit firey when someone gets collected. I dont appreciate it if my girlfriend gets hacked down from behind. All male leagues are hosed, filled with hypocritical aspirational types who think they're the second coming of C-Ronaldo, who'd love to throw a elbow into your chest when noones looking but will collapse like a house of cards if you touch them.

this is indoor by the way.

Same experience here, it's actually why I went to coed from men's league. Plus for some reason the people seem to be a lot more reliable, the men's team I was on had a different lineup every week. Although that might be more because it's an over 30 league, too.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

League playoffs this weekend; we won yesterday 5-0 so we move on to the Div III championship today. Scored my first league goal, it was sweet! I'm a fullback so I don't get up into scoring position much, but as we were short girl subs yesterday I swapped positions with the midfielder in front of me for a while. One of our forwards got the ball out on the right wing, he worked it up and inside a bit while I moved up the center, a quick pass past a slow defender centered the ball for me just inside the area and I put straight in the lower right corner.

That was actually the fifth goal and there were only about 10 minutes left, but apparently it was just too much for one of the guys on the other team as he starts screaming at the ref insisting I was offside (he was standing on the touchline as he started yelling, you'd think he'd at least move up before he starts complaining). Long story short, he gets red carded for ref abuse, which comes with a nice multiple-match ban. Why the hell would you wait until you're down 5 goals to start complaining?

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Fuckin' A, just won the division championship. Sweet.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Anyone have any recommendations for shin/ankle guards? I'm thinking of these, I like a lot of protection and I hate straps.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

I have a pair similar to the predators (adiPure chrome, I think) but besides the uncomfortable straps they just don't fit well. Right now I'm using some older Nike ones similar to the Total 90's but they're falling apart, the discs/padding inside the ankle pieces shift around all the time, the stitching's coming out, and the sleeves are stretched and ripped.

Never had a muscle cramp of any kind in my life (knock on wood) and I even wear neoprene compression sleeves for shin splints sometimes, so I prefer the sleeves. And I know that a lot of guys (mainly strikers, in my experience) like to wear as little gear as possible but it's never bothered me. Plus it seems like whenever I decide to go without the ankle guards that's the one time I get stepped on there.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

CAMiasm posted:

so i just bought new cleats

http://www.shopadidas.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3843180

i decided to get these instead of the adipure 3 because they're $50 cheaper. they look pretty similar to me. from what i gather, the adipure is one of the best shoes, so i'm hoping these are good too.

http://www.shopadidas.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3721203&kwCatId=&cid=G17102&shopGroup=R

i also got those in white/gum because i needed some new sneakers :O

Got some Adipure 3's as a gift a few weeks back and aside from a bit of adjustment from wearing Copas for so long, they are all kinds of awesome. It feels weird to wear such bright white boots, though, after playing in black for so long. I keep seeing flashes of white in my peripheral vision that can be distracting.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Started the new coed 11s season off with a 5-0 trouncing of the other team, I had some nice runs forward and a very nice shot on goal that should've gone in given I was only about 10' away but the keeper made an all-or-nothing save and he got all and I got nothing. :(

Looks like I'll be moving up to midfield, too, given we've got more defenders than we need this season and I seem to be more fit and have better footskills (relatively speaking) than the others. Going to be a huge change for me since I'll be playing center mid and I've always ALWAYS played on the wings, but I'm looking forward to broadening my game, hopefully. Any advice/pointers/tips for a left/right back moving to center mid? I know tracking back for defense is key, as a fullback I try to play more of a wingback style so I'm used to that. My tendency now is to push out to the wing when we're in possession, any tips on how to break that habit? Or do I even need to?

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Got my first yellow card in years yesterday, for foul language of all things. A woman on the other team was chasing down a ball that was way out of her range, I clear it easily and had enough time to watch it sail over an attacker and reach a teammate in the midfield when then next thing I know I've got cleats smashing my foot and two fists and an elbow in my gut. I immediately yell "WHAT THE gently caress?!?" because the ball was so far away from us by the time it happened, and so the ref stops play and cards me. And tells me he's being lenient, even. I tell him I'd hate to see what happens when I get some teeth knocked out.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

the posted:

Did he not warn the other player?

Nope. He was a pretty lovely ref, made some terrible calls on both sides. Apparently didn't know that shoulder-to-shoulder contact is permissible, either.

Fake edit: We won 4-1 so can't complain, really

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Messyass posted:

We lost again last saturday. Against our closest competitors at the bottom of the table... I had to leave at half time when it was still 1-1 and we were starting to look the better team.

I don't even know what our problem is. Of course we aren't any good at football but neither are our opponents. Well, one thing is our coach's insistence on sticking with 4-3-3, when we're always a man short in midfield...

Sounds like us. After 5 straight wins to start the season we're now on a run of 4 straight losses, the last two thanks to shoddy defending in the last 5 minutes of the game. And nearly all losses thanks to a keeper who, after three years with this team, STILL seems to be lost when it comes to fundamentals: Terrible positioning (usually stays glued to the goal line if the ball's ever in our half), no communication, can't ever decide when to come out even when it's obvious, and above all, horrendous distribution - he can't punt worth a drat, he tries to punt it straight-on like a pointy ball and it always ends up going off the side of his foot and out of bounds. Can't throw, either, due to a shoulder injury.

Our passing game's improved, though, amazingly enough.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Just get new Copas. Although the AdiPure IV's are really comfy, I have a pair of last year's model and they just don't seem to last as long.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Second game with my new (over 30 coed) team yesterday, they're playing me at forward which is a big change from fullback. Going to take me a while to get used to that, but I'm enjoying it. It would help if we had some midfielders that I could work the ball up with, but right now the "plan" is nearly everyone sits back in defense and on the off-chance someone can clear a ball past the opposing midfield, I get to try and chase it down. I also get wild through balls that I run onto, but when I end up on the wing and hold up for support, I look back and see one or maybe two of my teammates have bothered to come up with me. Doesn't help that a handful are easily over 50... :smith:

Still, I managed to get on the scoresheet yesterday even though the only shots I took were blocked. Sent in a low, hard cross from the goal line to hit the other forward and a defender jumped in front and it went in. Ended up drawing 3-3 thanks to a penalty, which a girl converted for 2. :toot:

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

BlueBayou posted:

Sigh looks like Ill be the keeper for the summer.

Ive really never played much keeper. Anyone have any advice.

I want to start wearing knee pads... im always bruising my knees sailing and so any time I dive for a ball, it hurts like mad. But I also dont want to be a giant wuss.

Had a nice save tonight. We were down 3-1 with 2 minutes to go and had a corner so I went down to the other side of the field to try to score. Loose ball, they came up with it.... beat their striker back down the field and made the save.

So very tired.

Seconding the JB Goalkeeping site. Start with the section on positioning, it's probably the most important thing you'll read. Communicate with the defense and coordinate it, you've got the best view of the field and should use it to your team's advantage. Be loud, repetitive, and specific with your commands; not only will it make it easier on your teammates but it'll disrupt the attackers and maybe even psych them out (unless you have a voice like a cartoon character or something).

Seems we're in the same boat, I've been in goal for my company's intramural summer league and tonight we play in the final! Although it looks like I'll be back at defender, supposedly we have no subs and one guy's still recovering from a groin pull so he'll most likely be back there tonight. :ohdear:

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Mine lost, thanks to two shots slipping right through my over-moistened gloves. :(

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Ninpo posted:

G..Gomes?

Heh. Pro tip: Get someone else to slowly pour, or better yet sprinkle, some water on your gloves rather than doing it yourself while you're running back on the field so you don't pour half the bottle on your hand. Hell, bring a little spray bottle for it, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Ninpo posted:

Pffft what, spit on them ffs.

I never have enough :smith:

Seriously though, if you can hock enough spit to cover most of both gloves there's something wrong with you