Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ramagamma posted:

Christ I love waking up on a Sunday morning knowing that I'm playing football later that day.

The downside is that my child-like glee goes hand in hand with an authoritarian like approach. I find myself drinking water constantly, eating bananas and raisins and I've already got my pre-match meal planned. Poached eggs, beans and brown toast, as suggested by the twitter of one Jody Morris.

Had a great game last week. To be fair I had 3 of the best attacking players from our catalogue on my team that day but still. While they were up-front peggin in 12 goals I was at the back sweeping up everything.

Even managed a goal. I bloody love scoring goals. Everytime I run about like a loon doing Alan Shearer celebrations and kissing my St Johnstone badge. Bloody love it, makes me feel like a child again.

Yep, nothing like waking up at 6AM for a 9AM match because you've got to get your prematch meal and hydration in. Today, slice of cold pizza, granola bar, banana, glass of orange juice, and about 6oz. of coffee to "get things moving." I usually follow this with a good three hour or so nap after the match due to sheer exhaustion.

It's 7:10 now so I know in the next hour I have to take a shower, get on the stationary bike for 10 minutes to loosen up my muscles, check the air pressure/inflate my balls, and go go go. Oh and there will be at least one if not two shits during this process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lost 4-0. Both of our keepers are hurt so we had a guy who had never played in goal before as our keeper. It was... not good.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mikewozere posted:

I also managed to get cramp in both calves while contesting a header and had to land on my arse. Pre-match banana did not work.

Had this happen today too, sprinting by a guy while I had the ball. I tried to toe poke it away as I fell down and managed to slice the ball to a player on their team who took a touch and scored. Awesome.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

reborn posted:

I'm looking at picking up a Nike T90 Tracer one night this week to see if it'll hold up at least one whole season without turning completely black, and or obtaining a hole in the outer layer. I was wondering if anyone had any other input on a good ball which can last a whole year and feels right at your feet.

I love Nike balls. I haven't played with the Tracer but I have pretty much all of the previous Nike versions from the Total 90 Aerow forward. They've all last me quite a long time, using them a few times a week and they're my team's match balls. If you're playing on turf the ball is going to turn black, that's inevitable. I don't like the feel of Adidas balls personally that's why I keep buying Nike ones. If you're not too pressed for time you can sometimes pick up the previous version of Nike balls on eBay for a fraction of their retail cost.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

Can someone recommend a good cheap pair of trainers for playing 5-a-side in a wooden-floored school gym basketball court arena? I get the most awful blisters from the Adidas ones I use at the moment.

Sambas.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Winter break ends in about 2 months, just started on getting my fitness back. I'm in such terrible shape it's ridiculous. Not even going to attempt running for 2 weeks, just going to use the stationary bike, and I feel crippled after 12 miles on that yesterday.

Need the snow to melt too so I can start working with a ball again.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I didn't wear a cup when I played lacrosse, of course I'm not wearing one to play football.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ungratek posted:

To each his own I guess. I play with Youth Small shinpads and just deal with the various knocks/bruises because I prefer to have as little as possible on my legs as possible.

Me too, gently caress shinguards. I wouldn't wear them if I could get away with it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I just bought these...

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Products/Mizuno-Football-Boots-Mizuno-Morelia-Neo-MD-Boots-Pearl-GreenBlackRed-37583.aspx

I'm going to get kicked, a lot.

Kangaroo leather and they weigh 6oz(170g in foreigner), gotta be worth it. I'll also be one of very very few people in the US wearing them as Mizuno doesn't import football boots to America.

I'm excited.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Anime Knower posted:

green boots :staredog:

I have a problem, and it's loving green boots.

A sample of the last few boots I've owned...

I make no apologies.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mixitwithblop posted:

Anyone have any advice for quickening the healing of a Quadriceps Strain? Happened on Friday. I only feel it when I strike a ball. Passing, running, etc... no problem. I have an ice bag, hot water bottle, and epsom salts but I figured there might be something else I could try?

I pulled my quad in a match a couple years ago. Took a corner kick and felt like I got stabbed. Tried to jog back into position and fell over on my face, that was fun. I was in the same boat as you, after a week or two I could run, sprint, cut,whatever but was in dizzying pain when I tried to strike a ball. Only advice I can give you is to rest and avoid a kicking motion. I was out for about 5 weeks before I could kick a ball without pain. Ice is probably your best bet for something like that but it's going to take time to heal. It's a big muscle.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thirteenth Step posted:

The first goal I ever scored in a competitive game was a toe poke playing for my primary school team and I took in nice and early and beat the keeper when he didn't expect it, I still remember it, babbys first goal.

A toe poke is different than a toe punt though. A toe poke is something, like you said, to take the shot early because you don't need any back-lift on your foot and are usually just trying to guide the ball.

A toe punt is what the fat kid did in gym class to just kick the ball as far away from himself as he could so he didn't have to run.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hallowed Turban posted:

They look pretty cool. I take it you haven't used them yet?

Nope, got them today about a half hour before I had to head to work. Just tried them on and whatnot. Wore them around the house tonight when I got home from work and they're unbelievable comfortable. They're full kangaroo leather, unlike the similar Adidas Adizeros(formerly F50), which are only K-leather on the toe box, and weigh the same, 6oz(170g in Communism). The only issue I have with them is that I have to order them from the UK because Mizuno doesn't supply football boots to the US. I'm going to need to play in them for a month or so but if I like them as much then as I do now I'm going to seriously consider buying 2 or 3 more pair to have in reserve, and probably a soft ground pair if and when they do sell those.

Hallowed Turban posted:

Predators if you're a powerful shooter, Vapors if you're quick and light on your feet.

Just check Sports Direct online, usually £35 for either of those or F50s if you prefer those.

Honestly the type of boot you buy doesn't really matter, especially buying into the brand marketing that "X player, wears these." The best advice anyone could give about buying football boots is "go to the store and try on a few pair."

I primarily played as a left back for the past five years(recently been switched to center forward but that's a whole different story) and wore, in order, Adidas F50s, Puma Kings, Adidas Predators, Puma King Execs(lightweight Kings), Predators again, Nike Total90 Lasers, Nike Mercurial Vapors, Nike Legends, Vapors, Legends, Puma Powercats, Predator X, Adidas Adizero, Adidas Adizero, and now the Mizunos previously posted.

I finally decided that I prefer wearing a lightweight, but also Kangaroo leather boot but it took me a long time. Everyone is different in what they prefer but it comes down to what you think is comfortable.

I'd also highly recommend that anyone stay away from the blade type molded studs if you're playing on field turf. They tend to catch much more easily and cause serious knee and ankle injuries. I stopped to cut while wearing blades on field turf and managed to roll both of my ankles at the same time. Rounded molded studs/triangular Adidas studs are much better for that kind of surface.

I know it's expensive, and at this point I'm rambling, but I'd really recommend, if you're playing on multiple surfaces that you buy boots for each surface. Not always a viable option if you're on a budget I know. Firm Ground boots with rounded studs are great on field turf, so that's two surfaces covered. Sloppy pitches really do benefit from soft ground studs, they're longer and bite in better. If you're still playing on old style astroturf I'm sorry but really turf bottomed boots are the only option there. That surface is just so unforgiving.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Be careful taking zinc supplements, it's been linked to memory loss and not actually being all that good for your meat and two veg.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Olewithmilk posted:

Hey guys, has anyone ever had any look joining a six-a-side team where they don't really know anyone? I've had to move away from where I usually live for a couple of months due to my job and it's getting a bit boring just spending my free time in my room. I was gonna email the manager of the local six-a-side league and ask if any of the teams need a spare player. What do you reckon, good idea/bad idea?

Definitely do it. If it's an organized league you can always as the head of the league if they need any spare players to fill out teams, either permanently or on a week by week basis.

I used to do that and got a more consistent run of games that way then when I was playing for an organized team and only getting 1 game a week/night.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Try eBay. That's where I usually buy my balls. You can sometimes get last seasons or more likely two seasons ago top end($150) balls for as low as $35. Generally they run in the $50-75 range and even then they're 50% off. I have a bag full of Nike balls I got that way and they seem to take a beating much better than cheaper balls.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Had our first scrimmage of the season today(11v11). I joined a new side this year and they converted me from a wing back to a striker, lol. Assisted on our first two goals and then got three of my own in the second half. Not bad for my first time out with those guys.

Season starts next week, can't wait.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Soreness in the ankle/Achilles area seems like some sort of soft tissue damage to me. I've never been sore there unless I hurt myself.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

cosmicjim posted:

Even if an american has played since they were born they are usually terrible when it comes to tactics and strategy. I really think basketball taints the way adults have taught Americans to play, and these kids pass on their terrible tactics. "Spreading the field" is absolute bullshit.

Get your weight up and play for a skilled team and see how wrong you are.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Guitar_Hero posted:

what if you draw

Everyone loses.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Played pick up at the turf fields on campus for about 3 hours the other night. One of the players we had met was laying down when I left, presumably just exhausted. It turns out he couldn't walk at all and had to be taken to the hospital because his whole knee was blown out.

He wasn't screaming or anything. It was really bizarre.

I've never blown out my knee or any serious injury, but is it normal to just seem tired instead of crying your eyes out?

It hurts, but not as much as you'd think actually. The reaction is more to the effect that it's pretty obvious something is catastrophically wrong with your knee. The pain really comes from the swelling and inevitable bone bruise as opposed to the snapping ligaments, and believe me, it swells massively immediately. I did my left knee and had to drive an hour home on it(manual car), and my leg was pretty much locked straight by the time I got home, and I though I was going to vomit every time I changed gears.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

yeah i have no stamina so it would be good to know how to increase it. going for a run with bursts of sprinting seems best but I don't know the increments

The generally accepted types of running for football fitness these days aren't long runs anymore. I read somewhere that the furthest Manchester United players run in preseason training at a stretch is 6-800m. They focus on high intensity interval training these days. Sprinting a short distance, then a small recovery window, and doing it again. It better simulates running during a match.

Suicides are probably the most rudimentary way of doing this, they're what I generally do.

Sprint to the top of the 18 yard box, jog back
Sprint to midfield, jog back to the top of the box(shortening recovery time)
Sprint to midfield, jog back to endline
Sprint to midfield, jog back to the top of the box(shortening recovery time)
Sprint to other 18, jog back to midfield
Sprint to far endline, jog back to top of 18 yard box
Sprint to endline, jog back to midfield

Etc, etc, constantly changing both the length of the sprint and the length of recovery time.

You want to focus on short bursts of pace over and over as well as incorporating changing direction because that actually takes a lot more out of your legs than you'd think.

I'm not saying your fitness will suffer from doing long runs and mixing in a few sprints but it's not ideal for playing football. You're looking for explosive runs over the course of the match, not jogging for 90 minutes, and being able to jog as a recovery period in between those runs.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

biggie pusheenbia posted:

definitely give yourself a rest especially at the beginning. At least a day if not two, and you'll need it if you're doing it properly.

Especially if you're using any sort of grade, also you'll be sore in different spots from the sprinting, you're utilizing your muscles differently. I like to mix in something low impact like riding a stationary bike or swimming(if I have the option) if my legs don't feel up to a day of sprinting, and it's good for recovery days.

Failing all the other stuff that was posted just go play as much football as you can because there's really no substitute for "match fitness."

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hallowed Turban posted:

This is quite interesting.

In the summer, I usually just take a few jumpers and a loudspeaker and do a bleep test at the park. I don't know how that compares to Shrapnac's method but it works pretty well for me. Just download a bleep test, whack it on an MP3 and you're good to go.

Similar really, I just like to vary the length of the sprints. The beep test ramps up the intensity throughout while I use the recovery time in between sprints to vary the intensity.

I'd imagine you'd get the same type of workout from either.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

pik_d posted:

These refs also make offside calls before the attacking player touches the ball. :) The ref tonight also literally said these words: "If I see you diving again I'm going to give you a yellow card".

Both of these things are 100% correct.

Offside is the intent to play the ball while in an offside position, not touching it(:wtf:).

And what you got was a telling off, which is the referee actually doing you a favor. Also, stop diving Mr. Gym Class Hero.

Not counting up the players though, that's a bit silly.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ninpo posted:

What, offside is often flagged for and called before a player touches the ball.

Touching the ball has nothing to do with offside, I don't understand what he's trying to say.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

First co-ed 7v7 game today. Bracing myself for my shins and ankles to be assaulted by horribly timed tackles.

Quick turnaround too, game at 4pm today and 8:30am tomorrow, the second being full sided. Haven't done that in a while, my legs are going to be useless on Monday.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

No, but that doesn't stop someone from being an uncoordinated clod and having a nice whack at your ankles/anything that may or may not be in the vicinity of the ball.

I really only play in it because I see a ton of the ball and it lets me get some football fitness in and practice skills I wouldn't do in full sided games. It's also on grass which is a nice change from playing on turf a lot.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 14, 2012

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I went into the corner 50/50 with a bigger guy and when I hit the ground the top of my knee looked like it had a skin graft.

Like this?

:nms:http://i.imgur.com/86TfW.jpg:nms:

Yes, those black bits are the stuff from the turf. Three weeks later now and my knee still looks like I'm a burn victim.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Holy gently caress, get a neoprene sleeve or something to cover it, that's brutal.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tweaked my hamstring in the last 10 seconds of the game today chasing down a meaningless ball over the top in a game we were winning 6-0. Guess that's what I get for trying to grab an extra goal. The referee even said that time was up while I was chasing it down but he was going to let me play out the sequence. Thanks guy.

Time for some RICE and a couple weeks off probably.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

So I play in MLS by proxy now.

The guy on the right(Ray Gaddis) wearing the Adidas Adizeros is wearing my boots, he changed the laces though. I also grew up with the guy on the left(Eddie Gaven).

I gave them to a player on the Philadelphia Union U-16/18 team and he traded them to Gaddis for a different pair of boots so now my stinky foot sweat has played in MLS.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Pinky Pit posted:

Nah, the fabrics they are made of are very good at handling sweat.

Is Underarmour type stuff really uncommon outside of the US? Every middle school and highschool athlete here has multiple items for different purposes. Maybe its because im from Maryland and the company is based out of Baltimore. I can't even work out without having a pair of their shorts underneath, they are so good at dealing with sweat and the first time you get to play a full match without your cotton underpants turning your taint into a bog you'll fall in love.

The only underwear I will wear anymore is Under Armour, regardless of what I'm doing. Sure it costs $20/pair but my balls thank me. gently caress natural fibers forever, especially in the summer.

I bought a pair of those Adidas Techfit compression shorts(the ones Frank Lampard wears that come down almost to your knees) for games and they actually work pretty well. The plastic strips on the shorts actually do help support your muscles a bit and it feels pretty drat good.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Once you get past age 12 or so you realize that Sambas are totally inadequate as football boots. They're built like loving skate shoes.

Comfortable as heck to just wear around though.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

is there a difference between mercurial victory II and III apart from an extra couple of quid to play in mango/dk gray

The II is the old model, which means it might be slightly aesthetically different but pretty much the same boot.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

Ok, how do they size?

By shoe size.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Redundant posted:

It's almost like it was by design or something :monocle:

Speaking of current footwear though, I'm still rocking the F-something or others. I'd be more specific but I really don't think there's much difference between them. They aren't great for ankle support but that might just be because I'm a lanky fucker, other than that they're pretty solid (and cheap).

If you mean the Adidas F50 then they have gone through a ton of changes. I had the original ones, and they pretty much just made me roll my ankle every time I wore them but I had the style that that phased out a year or so ago and they were fantastic.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

tbp posted:

Anyone know how to get started in the American coaching circuit? I don't think I'd really like to just yet but it's something I always thought I'd enjoy. Shrapnac I know you're in NJ too so if you have any advice lemme know

Talk to the people in your local league, they may let you volunteer at first that way you can decide if you really want to proceed with coaching.

If you do then there are a bunch of steps you need to take. You have to get a state license first and then work your way up through the national licenses.

http://www.ussoccer.com/Coaches/Licenses.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

For your distance run, just get out and run for 3-5 (or more) miles at a pace just above where you could hold a conversation with someone else who was running with you. If you have a HRM, that'd be at 70-75% of your max heart rate.

Once you build up some base fitness from doing some distance runs there's really no reason to do them anymore. You should switch your focus to HIIT and working on recovery between sprinting.

Distance is great for getting your overall fitness levels up but it doesn't really correlate at all to football if that's what your main fitness focus really is.

In other news, playing my first game this weekend after almost a month off from pulling my hamstring. Should be interesting. I bought a pair of those fancy Adidas compression shorts so we'll see how those work out.