Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Brandy Alexander posted:

I guess what i'm trying to say is that we will also play on turf and will need different shoes, I was told we can use shoes with studs as long as they don't exceed 7mm. But i have no way to actually measure the stud height, and they don't mention it on the website either. Would something like this be ok?
http://www.zappos.com/puma-v5-11-tt-vibrant-yellow-parachute-purple

Those are more designed for astroturf, the old carpet stuff.

Pretty much everyone I know plays in FG boots on synthetic grass(field turf, nexturf, what have you).

Some companies also offer AG boots which have a stud pattern like turf boots but they're actually shorter FG studs.

http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Ne=178&N=4294960675+867&Product_Id=4355673

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

cosmicjim posted:

Ooh, thanks. Just bought a new pair on ebay for 80$.
Adidas F50 adizero TRX HG Synthetic Yellow Hard Ground
I kind of wanted leather instead of synthetic, but Messi wears leather so they are 50$ more.

Leather Adizeros are fantastic, the synthetic, not so much. Probably why there is a glut of synthetic around on the cheap.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kempo posted:

I got some Mercurial Victorys last week, walked from work to my 5-a-side game and before I'd even seen a football I had huge blisters on both my achilles from the back of the boots, the skin had been ripped off and it was agony to walk and play in them. I stuck some tape over the blisters but they were already so bad it didn't help much, maybe once they've healed that will prevent me getting more.

It's annoying because the they seem to fit really nicely and feel great everywhere except the back. Anyone else had this with new Mercurials?

Every pair of Mercurials I've owned have given me blisters on my heels like that and felt great everywhere else on the foot.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

Last few weeks have been a transformation for me, finally, after about 9 months of consistent playing with no prior experience. Defense is doing well, am finally confident enough on the ball to actually want my teammates to pass it to me in the middle of the field, and it turns out I'm a natural at being in position to poach (although my actual finishing and shooting are utter poo poo). Has still resulted in almost a goal a game in the past few weeks, in any case.

Left back seems to be my most comfortable position. Go ahead, laugh at my expense.

More and more sprinting and hard turns though are taking a toll on my feet. My big toes and balls of both feet are getting roughed up more and more each game. I saw someone else mention that and people mentioned wearing a liner sock. Is that a specialized sock of sorts, or is it just a smaller (and also synthetic) sock that doesn't come up as far as the main one? I've had a little luck with wrapping the big toes in athletic tape, but it doesn't hold very well on the ball of the foot.

Being 5'7 and 165lb is making it more and more obvious the longer I spend in the penalty area how loving worthless I am in the air and in receiving corners. I have a fairly good curve when I do take the corners, but when I don't, should I be trying to deflect in a low cross off the near post, or just gently caress it and wait past the far post for a deflection or an overshot corner?

What do you mean by roughed up? Like blisters and scrapes or callouses? If it's callouses learn to embrace those things, they're never gonna go away, and if you're playing a lot they'll be around forever. The worst thing for me was when I went on vacation and did a lot of running on the beach barefoot and my callouses wore off. That was a painful few weeks playing while trying to reform them.

If you're a 5'7" left back you probably shouldn't be in the box at all. If the corner is from the left, you should be in the channel waiting for a ball to be knocked back to you so you can swing in a cross from a different angle. If it's from the right you should be near the top corner of the box waiting for any garbage to pop up. Alternatively you should be hanging back by the midfield line to try and stop any type of counter. There's really no reason for you to be in the box at all when the corner is initially taken.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Incidentally, bought some new shin pads a couple of months ago, had a closer look when I got in tonight, and Christ alive am I glad I wear them, does everyone else have such angry looking scars down theirs?

I just run my hands up and and down my shin bones and feel all the knobby bits and remember just how effective shin guards are(they're not). Mine are also about 5 inches long and maybe half an inch thick though.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ShaggiusPrime posted:

Looked up the rules after the game, turns out you can score directly from a goal kick anyways. Apparently nobody on the field (including the refs) knew that rule. Ahhhh rec league football.

You can't be offside on a goal kick either, not that it matters in 6's.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CaptainRightful posted:

I bought a pair of adiPURE turf shoes in about 2008 and have been playing every week all year round (outdoor in the Spring, Summer and Fall, indoor in the Winter) and twice a week for all of 2012. Still wearing the same pair. May be a rare case, but these are incredibly well-made shoes.

I've been wearing the same pair of cleats since the spring, so seven months or so? Mizuno Morelia Neos, think that's the longest I've worn a pair of anything in the past seven or eight years. I'll probably pick up another pair of them too, they're fantastic. Full kangaroo leather and they only weigh 6 ounces.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hurriness posted:

I just recently got the all clear to resume playing soccer after a concussion I suffered in September, which in turn was my first game back from a concussion I suffered in January. Over my career I've had 4 or 5, (I suspect I had 1 undiagnosed), but the first 3 were from my school days when I played like a bit of a goon.

Since quitting the game is obviously not an option, wondering if anyone has any opinions or experiences with those headbands or helmets. I've decided I should consider getting something preventative if I intend to stay as a CB and not shift over to FB or a wing.

Considering it sounds like your brain damage is already permanent why even bother with a scrum cap?

Seriously dude, you've had 2 concussions that kept you from playing for almost a year. It may be time to pack it in.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

please respond posted:

rake the back of their legs a lot, the ref never sees it, and pinch the back of their arm it hurts really bad

Nothing like a stud down the achilles to get someone pissed off.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Party in the UAE posted:

like Hardflip-a said stomping the foot is really good and will never get you carded. Its tough to do anything else really in rec league, especially if you're not allowed to challenge from behind.

Play in the league I play in and know the refs well, you can pretty much get away with murder if you apologize and put your hands up afteward.

Granted most of the refs are former pro refs and most of the players are former college/pro players so things work a bit differently.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm buying some cleats for rugby, and found good deals on the Puma EvoSpeeds and PowerCats. I don't know whether to get the PowerCat for the leather upper (I hate getting my foot stomped) or the EvoSpeeds because they're the newest and most exalted line. (Does anyone know the difference between different versions of the same model? EvoSpeed 5 is cheaper than EvoSpeed 3 which is cheaper than EvoSpeed 1, so I assume they're just economy models of the same shoe.)

Yeah, Puma does their stuff by number so the 1 is the "professional model" and so on down. The quality of the boot and materials used also scales accordingly.

They also sell EvoSpeeds with leather uppers but probably only the top range(EvoSpeed 1 K, as in K Leather).

I wore the original PowerCats when they were released several years ago. IMO the fin things on the top were kinda gimmicky and not great for football but it could be different for rugby.

I also had the original Adidas Predator Rugby that I wore as my SG boots so they do pretty good stuff too.

Edit: Boot Chat, my new boots for the spring. At this point I'm intentionally buying ludicrous looking boots just for the hell of it but these Mizunos are the best boots I've ever worn. K-Leather upper and they weigh 6oz(170g).

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 15, 2013

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Saurus posted:

Attention Americas, I have recently moved to the greater Newark area. Does anyone know of any places to go and play football in the area? Looking online doesn't turn much up.

Newark, NJ?

There are dozens of places to play in the Newark and surrounding NYC area, dozens.

I guess it would depend on whether you want to play 5s or full sided or whatever. Also the skill level you're looking for.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ramagamma posted:

Goal rates for 5 a side games are all over the place. Generally it feels like the scores end 9 or 10 apiece when the hour is up. Even if a team gets pumped its usually because they've not scored enough, rather than conceding well into the double digits. I've only ever played one match with with a 'realistic' outcome, ended 1-1 and it always sticks in my throat that the player on the other team who bagged the only goal had a more-than-deserved reputation for hitting shots sky-high and over the pitch walls.

I dunno, these scores seem outlandish to me. I've played plenty of 5 a side matches that ended 1-1, 2-1, and the like. I'd say the double digit scorelines are the exception in the leagues I play in. You'll occasionally get a 5-4 or a 7-3 or the like but almost never both teams scoring into the double digits and rarely even one team getting there. The only time that usually happens is if one team totally outclasses another and you get a 12-1 or something like that but none of this goal every 2 minute thing I'm seeing in this thread.

To be honest I'd probably rather play in a 2-1 than a 15-12 or whatever.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Adulterous Hitler posted:

At least they are not using cleats, the possibility of stepping on somebody elses foot are much higher on a 5-a-side pitch and boy howdy do I love getting my foot crushed under some cleats.

Define cleats. Firm Ground boots are the ones with the molded studs which will hurt you if you get stepped on.

You're not allowed to wear Soft Ground boots on turf(metal studs) because they're longer and will tear up the substructure.

I wear Firm Ground boots on turf because even a little bit of moisture on that stuff and it become slippery as heck.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Woop, my outdoor season starts St Paddys, can't wait. Spent the past 4 weeks getting a really good base layer of fitness in, started this week on the hill sprints and suicides. I've also been doing plyometrics wearing a weight vest, that poo poo is hard. I'm excited to actually be in shape at the start of the season for once instead of trying to half-heartedly play myself into shape throught the season.

Now to find out where I'm actually going to be playing since I played wing back on both sides, midfield on both sides, and up top in the fall. Couldn't find my goalscoring touch so up top is probably out(only one goal in the fall and it was a penalty). It's 11v.11 so goals are at a premium a lot of the time.

Can't wait to start playing again.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hardfl1p posted:

are you still playing gssl

Nah, playing in an "over-30" league now. The minimum age is actually 28, which is how old I am. I got tired of driving an hour plus for away games and only having 8 or 9 guys show up. This league is pretty local, 15 minutes or so is the furthest away, and we sit around a bullshit over a few beers after the games which is nice. The standard is pretty high, most of the guys played in college and I actually have 4 guys on my team that played professionally in the early 2000s. Another team has a guy that was a U-21 international with Trinidad and Tobago.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

So do you guys wear all in one pads or separates? I bought separates and generally just wear the ankle guards.

I use child size shin pads. I have those sleeves that you can slip them into. Only literal babbies use the all in one shin pads with the ankle guards.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Party in the UAE posted:

i wear them because the game at my age/level is not about speed and looking cool anymore, it's about not breaking myself and preventing me from earning a living at the real job. The last thing I want is not to be able to go into the office because some dipshit who is a lot worse than he thinks he is comes in at my ankles on a cold wet Tuesday night in Seattle.

That's why I stopped playing in a local co-ed 7v7 league. Too many dumbass parents whose train of thought is "well my 6 year old plays soccer, how hard can it be?" who have no control over their bodies and don't know what to do on the field.

Those leagues are so much more dangerous than the organized leagues I've played in where the people on the field have actually played the game for an extended period of their lives.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vinestalk posted:

Some of the former collegiate and semi-pro players around here still play very physically. I wouldn't play without ankle guards. Especially after recovering from a nasty ankle injury.

I still maintain you're less likely to get an anklebreaker from one of those guys then you are the 40 pound overweight soccer dad. Honestly all shinpads give you are the illusion of safety, they don't protect enough to really be of much use.

At this point I'm used to having bruises around my shins and ankles all the time, it's inevitable.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

I had a similar experience looking for boots a while ago. Basically the only plainish boots being made are the Copa Mundials, Nike Tiempos, and Puma Kings.

Mizuno makes a few plainish styles as well and the quality is far superior of Nike, Puma, Adidas, etc.

Only issue being you can't buy them in the US, would have to order sight unseen from overseas.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

We drew 0-0 today and I missed a stone cold sitter from 6 yards. Had the ball squared to me and hit it straight at the keeper. Anywhere else and I would have scored. And there were 5 minutes left. My loving life.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

My knee has been feeling weird since I got a knock a few weeks ago. There's no instability or pain, just the feeling that something is slightly wrong. Debating whether to agree to play or not next week. It isn't even swollen.

Let it heal, don't be like me who still has pain and swelling in their knee from a dislocation and subsequent bone bruise four years later because "no torn ligaments" meant go play as soon as you can chew a handful of anti-inflammatories and run.

I would have been better off having a soft tissue injury, it would have at least forced me to heal.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thirteenth Step posted:

The new 6-a-side season kicked off and I really need to brush up on my fitness/footwork/positioning/everything...

If you were going to try and get some extra training where would you go? Just ring around local teams and ask to join in on some training?

Or would I need to get a private tutor or something?

Find a wall, kick a ball against it for hours. Then go run hill sprints until you throw up.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Geno posted:

How effective is practicing with one of those mini soccer balls? My place is pretty small so I'd figure I can practice my footwork/dribbling with the mini ball indoors. Am I just wasting my time and just get a regular sized ball?

It definitely helps your close control since you have to be a lot more precise.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BISCUIT_TINS posted:

I'm gonna be playing right back next season, and one thing I've always struggled with is crossing while running. I can cross fine from a standing position but I can't get my head around crossing while running - foot positioning, where to hit the ball etc. Can anybody help me with this?

You'll want to make sure your hips are turning toward the target as you cross the ball as well. Trying to snatch at the ball will lead to you skewing it out of bounds as you'll be hitting across the ball causing it to spin toward the goal as opposed to away when you turn your body.

Turning your hips will generate more power too, kinda like a golf swing.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Scored 4 goals in my game today(11v11). First time I've scored 4 in a game since I was 13.

That's my football story for the day.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

NinjaSteve posted:

That's a lot of goals. Were the other team really that poo poo, or are you just amazing

Yes.

(We won 9-0 :ssh:)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Soulex posted:

So, I don't know why but a lot of my long passes seem to curve instead of going straight. Can someone explain to me how to stop this?

You're hitting across the ball instead of through it.

If you "punch" through the ball it will go straight. Once you hit across it you impart spin. There's no harm in using that spin though, as long as you make sure you compensate for how much the ball will turn.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Akbar posted:

So I've just been diagnosed with tendinitis in my foot/lower leg. Soccer season starts tomorrow and I'm signed up for 3-4 matches per week. Does anyone have experience dealing with tendinitis and could give me some tips on match prep/recovery?

HTFU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Soulex posted:

That makes sense. I noticed that if I dont follow through it won't curve as much if at all. Thanks. I thought it was because my foot was angled weird or there was something hosed up with my follow through.

I'm getting better with first touches, I just have difficulty stopping the ball if a pass is rocketed towards me. Usually it ends up bouncing off my foot about 10 feet or so.

Well it's like a golf swing to use a tired analogy. If one thing is out of synch it all is but if everything is curving it's because you're coming across the ball. I have a buddy who never plays soccer but if we go out and knock the ball around he can bend it like crazy, but with no control. Naturally you hit across the ball which causes spin. If you put your laces through the ball it goes straight, once you start to use the instep for more than short passes you'll spin the ball.

Everyone has problems if you rocket a ball at them, don't worry about that. Having a silky first touch isn't easy and it honestly separates the good players from the high class players. (Full disclosure, I have the touch of a rapist.)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Drogadon posted:

So I've been playing five a side 3 times a week for the last couple of months. I play in goal and defense.

Any tips from goalkeepers about dealing with and/or avoiding bruised fingers? Last week I got a bruised index finger on my right hand from a kick, and tonight I stopped a really hard shot with the tip of my thumb and now it's all bruised. This last one was mostly bad technique I guess.

Stop trying to stop shots with your fabulous spirit fingers?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lazlow posted:

So who got their limited edition white copas? Better get 'em now - I thought I'd wait until today to order mine, and soccer.com was completely out of my size (10). In fact, all they have left are 11's and up. Found some 10's direct from Adidas, though.

So beautiful... :allears:

Nah mate, I only wear garishly colored boots.

I've actually never worn Copas which is probably kinda odd since I've been playing for 25 years.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ungratek posted:

I've walked into work with so many knocks from soccer that they've begun to assume they all are. Made explaining the black eye I got from walking into an open cabinet much, much easier.

Yeah, the general assumption when I limp into work on Monday is that I broke myself in Sunday league again.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Captain Trips posted:

Wish I could afford to get into a league, but they charge $850 per team, and I don't know anyone well enough to pay for my roster spot.

Get back to me when you're playing in a 5v5(6v6 with keepers) league that's $1500 per session with 10 games and a 10 player max roster.:emo:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Soulex posted:

My coach used to make me play forward as a defender. It is loving stupid.

I'm a full back normally, wishing I could play in the center, but the one time coach subbed me on as a striker in a game and I almost scored has him convinced Id do better up front (I do not)

When I went from playing open(18+) to over-30 I got switched from playing wing back to striker, that was an adjustment, especially finishing, but if you have a bit of ability it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Our defenders love it when they get a chance to play up top since it so rarely happens.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hallowed Turban posted:

True, the pre-match poo poo is crucial part of pre-game prep

That's why I always have a cup of coffee a couple hours before I play.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

euroboy posted:

Probably what the Manchester United players says to eachother after drawing with Fulham

to stay on topic, i make sure to get some carbs a few hours before and have good meals through out the day. my warmup is bicycling for fifteen minutes to the pitch. works great, i'm a fantastic player.

Shame that transfer fell through.

My routine is a bit different since my matches are in the morning but I try to get up 2 hours before the match and have a glass of orange juice, a cup of coffee, and a granola bar. Along with a whole bunch of water.

Pre-game is a light jog, then some plyometrics, static stretching and then some keepy uppy and passing/shooting.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

We let keepers play for free, that's how scarce they are.

Luckily my team has a dedicated keeper and as long as we keep him plied with beer and vodka he doesn't complain.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

New boots for the spring!

My third pair of these, Mizuno Morelia Neo. Have to order them from the UK because of reasons. I think I'm getting old, my previous two pair of these were slime green and yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

cosmicjim posted:

How narrow are these? My last several cleats have been addidas f-50s. Do you know how comparable the fit is?

They're about the same I'd say. I actually went from wearing F-50s to the Mizunos. I'll have to check the sizing on my F-50s to see if they're any different.

Are your F-50s leather or synthetic, it could affect how much they'd stretch.