Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
I cant wear those ankle guards, they just feel way too bulky for me to feel like I can move around in them. I usually just go with Shin Guards that have no straps at all. I either put a little tape around the sock underneath of them or nothing at all. sometimes nothing at all is better because you can fix them alot easier.

I also play on a poo poo indoor team that REFUSES to defend, I'm probably the best field player on the team (I was a keeper in college four years ago so that tells you how bad they are) but whenever I go on I get stuck playing defense by myself. If I ever make a run and dont score or set someone else up it ends in a goal because nobody gets back. I'm sort of new to the team and dont know anyone but one person on it, otherwise I would be screaming my loving head off. We lost last week 12-2 and had the ball for maybe 20% of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
Those work well, not the cheapest pair but you wont get the burns on your legs. I was a keeper in college and consistently had cuts all down my legs, those at least cut back on the unbearable pain.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
We just had our playoff game for 5 a side. We are so loving bad its comical, but we have the best girl in the league and a couple guys who can play a little. We won our first playoff game 1-0 on a poo poo goal from a scrum in the goal mouth. We played our second game against a team that beat us 8-0 first time we played them. I hit a loving screamer from just inside the center circle that just missed upper 90 with like two minutes to go, we ended up losing 2-1 after missing a breakway and tap in with a minute left.

Our next session starts next week and we moved ourselves down a bracket so we dont get crushed every week.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Shrapnac posted:

I've done them in futsal, never outdoor though. When they work it's spectacular, when they don't you look like a dumbass.

Is that really considered a difficult move? I do them two or so times a game when the situation presents itself. I usually do them when I'm lunging to beat a defender to a ball. It works perfectly if you both get to the ball around the same time, you just yank it back away from him, and spin right past him. In the US thats a really really common move and almost anyone can do it. Is it not the case overseas?

Also I did one last night after I dummied the ball and was going to goal, I had the option of playing a lay off and letting someone else score, or pulling the roulette (we call them Maradonas in the US) and scoring. Of course I did the roulette, and actually missed with the bottom of my foot when I am supposed to drag the ball and turned it over. My teammate was not happy.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
If you want some good soccer videos on techniques to work on check out insidesoccer.com. The videos arent all necessarily doable alone, but they are alot more intense and game like instead of "Receive ball with back to goal, turn and shoot."

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Humuhumu posted:

What's a good boot for playing on artificial turf?

I have some indoor/outdoor Adidas Mundial but they're more like running shoes, also have regular Nike boots with studs/cleats.

It depends on the type of turf. If you play on Astro Turf (cement with green carpet over it) then you might need to get some flats/indoor shoes. If its sprint turf or next turf which has like little sand or rubber pellets in it you can go with straight up cleats. The team I coach practices and plays on next turf everyday and we all wear cleats with zero issues.

Some people on astro turf can just buy a pair of regular running shoes and play soccer in them, but I absolutely hate the way the ball comes off your foot in regular shoes. It just doesnt feel as sharp.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Humuhumu posted:

It's kinda rubber topped with fake grass, pretty spongy.

Yeah not keen on the ball feel with my Mundials, regular cleats would work but if there's something specifically designed for fake turf in a boot that would be better.

Thats next turf I believe and you can wear normal cleats. You can buy turfs but there is literally no improvement over cleats, and I feel that you cant actually push off in turfs like you could on cleats. I only wear turfs when I'm coaching so its easier on my feet.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

calcio posted:

All I play with now is either turf or hard ground. All the fields around here have been converted over to next/new turf.

Click here for the full 526x640 image.

Same here for the wealthy schools. I know overseas they hate turf, but I prefer it over the bullshit fields we played on in high school and college. Rocks everywhere, barely any grass, it was almost impossible to play a fun brand of soccer. Every loving time you got the ball it took an extra touch because the ball would be bouncing all over the place.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

calcio posted:

This is the new turf fields we have everywhere around here now. They are these filled with these little black rubber pellets.

Yeah. You want to wear cleats on that type of turf. Thats what I played on almost all the time and nobody wears anything but cleats.

Have you ever played on it Calcio? The ball takes different bounces, but its so much easier on your knee's and ankles. Its alot softer then grass and apprently you have about half as many injuries on it. Its a perfect alternative for colleges/high schools that cant afford upkeep of a nice grass field.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
I got blasted twice in the kidneys two weeks ago, and after the game I looked at my side and literally had the impression of the ball, lines and all.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

the posted:

Yeah I know. We'll see what happens next Saturday. I figure I either botch it and injure myself, botch it and injure the other guy, or execute it perfectly due to an innate footballing skill.

Then dont bother slide tackling. If you think you will hurt yourself or someone else for some garbage league its not worth it. In the 5's league I play in your not even allowed too, and generally if someone does it anyway the other team viciously fouls them the rest of the game.

There is nothing worse then playing in some Adult league, and having other men out there acting like they are playing in the Prem. We all have to wake up and go to work tomorrow, so dont risk either of our bodies for the sake of you practing a slide tackle.

I'm not saying you cant play hard and enjoy yourself, but taking a real risk of hurting me for the sake of prevent a goal in an adult league is irresponsible, and usually ends in me taking really hard fouls on you the rest of the match.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

the posted:

Wait, I'm not playing in the Premiere League? :smith:

I'm generally a very physical player anyway, probably too much for an Adult C-League 11 a side.

Theres nothing wrong with being physical, because generally if your playing soccer and not trying to be a thug nothing you will do is going to be very dangerous. Once you start leaving your feet awkwardly things become much more dangerous for everyone involved.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Scikar posted:

Those top guys beat us 46-2, though we had only 4 players and two of them were goalkeepers. I wasn't actually there so I can't vouch for how skillful they are, but if we're hovering near the bottom and still beat the bottom team by 20 goals it's easy to see how a decent team can score a lot. It's a full hour on a pitch where the ball never goes out of play and they're also a bit smaller than a normal futsal pitch, while the goals are slightly larger. With the ball in defence the better teams can scored from just a one two followe by blasting it at the goal. Then man mark everyone so they can't play it back out.

The proper futsal I play on Sundays with a fairly similar team hasn't seen a match with more than seven goals so that's a bit more sensible.

If someone was still trying to run the score up on me when they were winning by 30 it would probably end in me getting a red card. I couldnt imagine trying to run the score up like that in my league, if I did I'm pretty sure somebody would get hurt. Do the people getting beat like that get offended or is can we just chalk that up to a cultural difference?

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
Two ways you could play. You could either be the fast guy who gets balls kicked over the top to him the entire time, and 28 out of 30 times you lose possession or dont get it, 2 out of 30 you actually get it and get a good shot off, 1 out of 30 you score. You would pretty much just stand on the last defender and make diagonal runs over his shoulder looking for the ball.

The other way is to play like a real forward. Try to diagonally get behind defenders (make a run at a defenders left shoulder and run behind him). Its the hardest run for a defender to handle and if your team is moderately decent they will be able to play you through pretty often. Check back whenever your team has possession and you see space you can step into to receive the ball. If you play a less predictable style (check back sometimes and make long runs other times) teams will have a tough time defending you.

Also dont be the forward who will never work at all defensively, I'm not saying be standing in your own 18, but if you turn the ball over you need to try to win it back.

Obviously other skills are important like finishing, headers, ability to cross etc. but those are things at our age your probably not going to work on at the park by yourself.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
I use a roulette usually when I beat a defender to the ball and he is lunging. Generally when I get in a one on one situation I just use a single stepover and push the ball with the opposite foot out past the defender.

I find it hard to believe anyone who knows how to play this game cant learn to use a roulette after practicing it a bit. Its a really really simple move but when pulled off in the right moment its unstoppable.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Sir Charles posted:

Stuff about playing in the US

If you dont mind me asking where do you play? I coach a small Division 3 team that had a ton of success the past few years and was wondering if you play anywhere around here.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
I see. I'm in the Philly area. Let me know if you play locally this year (Villanova maybe?), I could use an excuse to go see some Division I Soccer.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Bacon of the Sea posted:

Cheers for that link Bobby, will come in tres useful.

Let me know if you have specific questions. I'm a goalkeepers coach at a pretty successful college. Would be happy to answer any questions you have.

As you get more comfortable with the game communicating will become much easier for you. Now you probably dont really know what to say because you have no idea what is about to happen. Eventually though you will be able to talk to your defenders "Rich left shoulder" if you want them to pick up a man, or "Rich watch that back post run" if you see a guy making the run. Your ability to communicate is probably 80% of your job.

PhillyLucky fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 14, 2010

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

CAMiasm posted:

what's your opinion of fingersave gloves?

They are alot different then other gloves. I wore them occasionally in high school, but its something you have to get used too. Closing your fist when you have them on feels a little awkward They also dont have the fingersave in the thumb which is probably the portion of your hands that will get jammed the most.

I was always a big fan of Nike gloves, maybe it was just a confidence thing but I felt like they fit my hands pretty well and were usually well made. I got a pair of Reusch's last year with our soccer budget in case I had to step in goal in practice and I'm not really a fan.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
Well lost our playoff game 1-0. We won our first then lost our second. First game I played a couple ridiculous flicks as the target man. Second game we pretty much just hoofed it to the corners and didnt really possess much.

Outdoor starts next week and we will get absolutely crushed. Our keeper is tremendous at indoor, but outdoor is so much more difficult for inexperienced keepers. We also use the boards on just about every pass and just kick and run half the time. That wont work in outdoor.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
Sucks but at least they werent passive aggressive and allowed you to play. We have players on our team who are god awful, and we dont take it very serious, but they are loving atrocious. We are pretty much stuck with them until they decide they dont want to play anymore because we are too lax to tell someone else we dont have any room.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Ramagamma posted:

Stuff about eating

Both of those eating options are absolutely horrendous. Pasta isnt good the day of a game because by the time the carbs are broken down your game is well over.

Also anything with alot of sugar is a poor decision as well. At a rate of high exercise your body will break the sugar down incredibly quickly and then you will burn out quite a bit.

PhillyLucky fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 2, 2010

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
1 v 1 as a keeper are really about forcing the forward to make a decision. Generally the rule is stay big until the last minute. Staying big consisting of coming out, palms out facing the opponent, hands straight down at your side in an athletic stance (knees shoulder width apart etc). Use that stance to close ground, and then when you get close enough to attack the ball you need to leave your feet and slide on your side. Extend your arms out and attack the ball with your chest. If you attack the ball too slow, or dont come out aggressive enough a forward will easily touch it by you. Generally you want to time coming out aggressively after the forwards last touch when he pushes the ball out in front of him that way he might not get a second touch to score before your on top of the ball.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
They're all going to laugh at you at the next game. There will be no sign on their back.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
It depends on the position of the attackers as well as where you are on the field. I would say if you arent in a dangerous area (30 yards and out) your biggest responsibility is to keep the play in front of you. You can afford to drop off in a 2 v 1 situation because your biggest fear isnt a 30 yard bomb for a goal, its applying pressure and giving up a breakaway.

If your 18 or so yards in you need to apply pressure to the ball. What you want to do is try to hedge him away from the middle, and hopefully take away a passing angle to the other attacker. Applying pressure doesnt mean full sprint at him, it simply means being in an athletic stance and not giving up much ground when he attacks you.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
Watch the game as often as you can. This was my biggest fault as a kid because I was always out playing other sports when I wasnt playing football.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

hughsieblingwish posted:

"training". speaking of, i've somehow become coach of a boys under 12's team. they're all pretty good, i think my role is just to really keep them organised and holding their positions. does anyone have any suggestions/website which are good for a few drills?

I've been trying to get them to strengthen their non-dominant foot with some simple passing and moving, few simple through ball drills to get them passing to where their teammates 'will be' rather than always to feet and some agility stuff but any advice from others (with more experience) would be great.

Technique, technique, technique. As a college coach there is nothing more of a put off then seeing a player with poor technique in the most simple areas of the game. If I see a guy who cant serve a long ball correctly I'm almost instantly not interested. If I were you I would have them keep playing every week in small sided games. The more time on the ball the better. If you email me I would be more then happy to give you an example of a practice plan I would use for a group of u-12's.

abradyj at gmail.com

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
To hell with it. I'm bored and sitting in class while my students take a test, so I will type up a quick practice plan I would do with kids. Obviously each practice would have a different focus. This practice's focus will be about the important of switching the ball quickly. Not just through pinged long balls, but by getting the ball into the middle of the pitch and getting it quickly to the other end.

Drill: Quick jog and stretch followed by a dynamic warmup (dynamic being the most important part).

Drill: Partner passing - Players will be split into groups of 4. You will set up two different tiny goals about 15 yards apart. One player starts at one goal, another player starts at the other. The final two players will stand about 15 yards outside of the two goals. When the drill begins the players will turn and sprint to the opposite goal, the player outside the goal will play a ball on the ground to them. The two players in the middle need to get themselves to the outside of the cones before they receive the ball. After they receive it they will turn and play it to the player on the other side, then run to the other goal and do the same thing. You will instruct them on how to turn and change it every couple of minutes. So at first it will be "Turn to the right with the inside of your left foot." Then you will change it to "Turn to the right with the outside of your right foot etc etc. Things like this are so crucial to a U-12 player learning the right skills. Eventually after it gets old for them you will switch the people in the middle to the people on the outside. This works on so many important things. Playing a ball on the ground, a good first touch, learning how to turn, using different feet etc.

Drill: Small sided (8v8 or 7v7 or whatever you have). Talk to them about the importance of switching the ball, and how switching the ball quickly will give you an opportunity to attack space that the other team will have vacated. Set up a game with two goals. Each team will then be able to score in either goal. It will be chaotic at first but they will soon learn when to switch and hold the ball up. dont do this for more then 5 minutes.

Drill: Small Sided 2 Create two goals towards the corner on each side. You will have 4 goals total. Each team will have a side they can score on in between those two goals. They will quickly realize if the other team bunkers down in front of the goal they can make a quick pass and be going the other day.

Drill: Small Sided 3 Play a normal small sided game. Have each team focus on quick switches. Dont allow them to overdribble, and if they do put a touch restriction.

Final Drill: Use a finishing drill to allow the players to work. Do something like power and finesse (google it) or one of my favorites is to divide teams into two. Have one team have a line 10 yard sbehind the other about 35 yards from goal. Have them make a through pass to another line to the side of them and about 25 yards from goal. The goal of the line receiving the ball is to take a touch or two and finish. After a player passed the ball he will then apply back pressure. That way they are working on finsihing under pressure, instead of jogging to the net and kicking a ball in which isnt game like at all. Keep a score and the winner gets out of a sprint at the end of practice or something like that.

PhillyLucky fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 26, 2010

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
Attacking space is the most important thing. If you see an outside back step up to defend a midfielder, step into the space he just vacated. If you see a forward check back to receive the ball, make a run into the space he just vacated. Things like touch or speed cant really be improved in a few weeks before your season is over. Movement and being active can.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I'm not playing this week to let my back heal. This loving sucks.

Does anyone play in North New Jersey??

A buddy of mine plays 11 v 11 near the Oranges. I go up occasionally and pretend to be on his team so I can get games in. Its filled with douchebags who make nasty plays when your backs to them.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
I hurt a guy last night and dont feel bad about it even a little.

Last night our referee was trying to fix some lights. The refs where I play are a joke, they stay at the center line and never move. Its a 6 on 6 coed league so usually nobody does anything crazy. A girl on my team won a ball as one of their guys was dribbling, it blatantly went off his foot, but since the ref was fixing the lights he had no input. The player picked up the ball and set it for a corner, we all objected, and with a big poo poo eating grin on his face served the ball and they scored. I went ballistic and his response was "hey thats the game isnt it" and smiled and jogged off. The ref had no decent response and apologized for missing it. Off the tap I took the ball and beat two defenders, and in comes the cheating dickhead. Normally I play really tame in this league, because I dont want to hurt anyone or get hurt myself in an adult league. At this point I was so mad I made a pretty reckless challenge for the ball and won it, then absolutely destroyed the dickhead. As soon as he hit the ground he started whimpering and yelling, and I casually walked away. Turns out he went to the hospital for what he suspected was a broken collarbone.

I sort of feel bad that he probably broke a bone, but it all loving starts when he decides to cheat in a coed adult league.. Maybe all of that makes me a dickhead, but really who cheats in a league like that and then admits it with a lovely little smile and laugh?

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Irn--Bru posted:

thats a total dick move and nobody likes playing with someone who takes it that seriously when it's in a "fun" league.

I'm usually the exact opposite of that. I guess him being a oval office about it drove me nuts. I'm usually the guy who avoids knocking the girls over, or pats one of their players on the back when he scores a goal. My challenge wasnt even a foul necessarily, it was just pretty reckless. I won the ball before making contact, but I had all intentions of going in strong on this guy.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

hughsieblingwish posted:

Does this make sense? I'll try and find a video of it.

It actually does. Reach with your right hand out in front of you to the right. Then reach with your left hand out to the right turning your left shoulder. You'll notice your left hand actually goes a little further. The keepers I coach I instruct to do this when at all possible. Same goes for punching a ball.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
On that previous page I was referring to dives where the ball is high that you should use your opposite hand.

The dive you are doing now is referred to as a superman dive, and what happens is instead of pushing yourself outward you are pushing yourself over, Taking distance away from your dive. Its not the worst mistake in the world for an adult keeper playing in a rec league, but at other levels it would be a big deal. The biggest reason for you doing this actually has to do with your footwork. Lets say you are diving to your left to save a shot. Your first movement needs to be left foot takes a step to the left, and forward, and your toes should be pointed at lets say 10oclock. You would then transfer your weight to your left leg and foot which stepped OUT and FORWARD slightly and push yourself towards the dive. If you stood up and did it right now, you would know when you reached the position where you are ready to dive because as soon as your transfer that weight you can feel your muscle ready to explode you into that dive. If you dont drive that left foot out at all you will end up in a superman position. This is because your diving off both feet which is incorrect. If you only drive it out slightly the same thing will happen. You should not be extending it some crazy distance, just going from about shoulder width apart and stepping out about 1 foot.

Sorry if my post is confusing, I'm trying my best to explain it through text but its not a simple thing to do.

PhillyLucky fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 1, 2010

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
Do most of your mens teams play sweeper stopper? Any quality teams here play a flat four. Even at the adult level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Alctel posted:

So I joined an new team after moving to Victoria - went to the try-outs - great I'm in the team!

However they are trying to play 4-2-3-1, and keep putting me at the central attacking mid (trequartista I think it's called?). Anyway, I'm used to playing as one of the strikers or a winger in a 4-4-2 and I'm totally goddamn lost, I never seem to find any loving space on the attack (we are playing against our training team which also does 4-2-3-1 so I am constantly crowded out by at least 1-2 of the opposing holding mids) so hardly receive the ball, and then on defence they just pass it around me.

Apparently I'm doing ok, but I feel like I have zero impact on the game at all. Any advice for this position?

It all depends on your coaches style, but we play a 4-2-3-1 at the college I coach and we look for that underlying forward to find space in between the lines. If you can receive the ball in between the midfielders and their back four you will be dangerous as hell, because at that point you should have two wide players making runs behind them out wide, and a forward making a diagonal run off the center backs. If teams are matching your formation that you play space is going to be tough to find and the game will be ugly, but we tell the underlying we want him on the ball every time he can get on it. Generally speaking the more touches we get in the center of the pitch in an attacking position the more dangerous we will be.

We play that position as more of a forward, so while he has defensive responsibilities (put back pressure on the center mids when they get it) we give them free reign to make any runs behind the defense they want.

We also look to exploit the 3v2 in the central midfield whenever we get the ball, and we have 3-4 different progressions we use based on how teams defend us.