Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Digeridude
Dec 30, 2008

I HAVE THEORIES!
NEUTRONS DONT EXIST!
PI IS INFINITE!
CALL ME A RETARD AND I WILL HAVE A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN ITT!
As long as the baby has a brain stem, it can theoretically survive - albeit very impaired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digeridude
Dec 30, 2008

I HAVE THEORIES!
NEUTRONS DONT EXIST!
PI IS INFINITE!
Disheartening fact: The baby can feel pain, but lacks the part of the brain that differentiates pain from other sensations - in a sense, everything hurts. It also cannot express discomfort. It might be in agony, and no one could ever know.

Digeridude
Dec 30, 2008

I HAVE THEORIES!
NEUTRONS DONT EXIST!
PI IS INFINITE!

reflir posted:

Ah yes, the phenomenal consciousness of a brainless baby

have you ever said anything that wasn't completely retarded?

Because the irreligious are more merciful and have an abortion

Pain sensation does not require consciousness. People in vegetative states and comas regularly experience migraines, which can be seen with an EEG. Whether or not the pain is 'experienced' is a matter of philosophical debate. My girlfriend, a nurse, has a family member who is also now missing most of his brain.

Edit: I'm not talking Terry Schiavo here. I'm taking about an unconscious, but effectively 'aware' person. This baby, for example, is not vegetative. Just motionless and uncomprehending.

Digeridude
Dec 30, 2008

I HAVE THEORIES!
NEUTRONS DONT EXIST!
PI IS INFINITE!

Tweek posted:

So when was the wedding?

Saw that coming a mile away.

Digeridude
Dec 30, 2008

I HAVE THEORIES!
NEUTRONS DONT EXIST!
PI IS INFINITE!

The Butcher posted:

It's not a matter of philosophical debate. There is nothing that actually experiences the pain. Okay sure the nerves may fire if caused pain, but there is nobody there to hear them.

Think about it for a second, it's pretty easy to understand.

It would not be unethical to throw this thing in a meat grinder, if not for the pain it would cause the mother.

A MYSTERIOUS TEXT posted:

what the hell are you talking about you gibbering retard

Wikipedia posted:

"Children with this disorder are born without a forebrain, the largest part of the brain consisting mainly of the cerebral hemispheres (which include the isocortex, which is responsible for higher level cognition, i.e., thinking). The remaining brain tissue is often exposed—not covered by bone or skin.[2]"

Forebrain missing. Everything else is in-tact, including hippocampus, amygdala, pituitary, medula, etc. Really, it doesn't take much to look this up.

Digeridude
Dec 30, 2008

I HAVE THEORIES!
NEUTRONS DONT EXIST!
PI IS INFINITE!

reflir posted:

If pain sensation does not require consciousness, what is the point of general anaesthesia for surgery?

Beyond that, it's exactly the 'matter of philosophical debate' that is important here. You state that pain sensation does not require consciousness, and then that the experience of pain is apparently something else? What is a sensation without experience? What do you mean with 'pain sensation' if it does not involve an experiential (phenomenological) component? Readouts of an EEG? Which leads to the bigger problem, how can you tell from a third person perspective (ie., looking at an EEG readout of brain activity) what someone experiences from a first person perspective?

Having no memory of pain does not mean pain wasn't experienced. Pain is not a subjective experience - it's a quantifiable, biological function. Anesthetic (and I live with an anesthetist) paralyzes the body and renders you incapable of remembering the experiences. Pain is still felt, it simply isn't remembered. There is no emotional association.

Edit: Again, this enters into a philosophical debate.

Digeridude
Dec 30, 2008

I HAVE THEORIES!
NEUTRONS DONT EXIST!
PI IS INFINITE!

A MYSTERIOUS TEXT posted:

Stuff.

Okay then.

Digeridude
Dec 30, 2008

I HAVE THEORIES!
NEUTRONS DONT EXIST!
PI IS INFINITE!

iamyourgoldfish posted:

You can't have this both ways. Pick a definition: either "pain" (electrical activity that occurs between sensory neurons and somatosensory cortex) or "pain" (the conscious experience of neural activity).

The first one. I can't think of a better word than 'felt.' Err...generated?

Digeridude
Dec 30, 2008

I HAVE THEORIES!
NEUTRONS DONT EXIST!
PI IS INFINITE!

mR sPoon posted:

Digeridude, you are loving retarded.

That would mean a lot more if I had any idea who you were.

Digeridude
Dec 30, 2008

I HAVE THEORIES!
NEUTRONS DONT EXIST!
PI IS INFINITE!

iamyourgoldfish posted:

So the neurons fire off their little electrical bursts. Something on the other end, like a cortex, turns thousands of little electrical bursts into something meaningful.

What you're talking about categorically cannot be "pain", or "tickle", or "itch", or anything. It's just electricity. Those concepts don't exist without an entity to experience them.

In this case, there is literally no brain on the other end. The sensory neurons can fire all drat day and it will make literally no difference at all to the body that possesses them, because there's no interpreter for the neuronal input, and there's no listener to react to the interpretation.

Then, by your definition, pain is the reaction to these inputs, rather than the inputs themselves? I don't subscribe to that, personally. It's like asking, "Is an electric motor being powered if the magnet has been removed?" Well, yeah, in a sense, but there's no way you'd ever know it. And if that motor contained a tachometer, it would report that it wasn't being powered as it's based on rotation speed. In the case of this baby, which could be said to be missing the entire motor - then fine. It's still reasonable, though, to think that unconscious people still react to pain. The brain DOES register the signal, in that case. They simply cannot vocalize or move to express it.

Digeridude
Dec 30, 2008

I HAVE THEORIES!
NEUTRONS DONT EXIST!
PI IS INFINITE!

emches posted:

Only if there is a functional brain.

Functional anterior cingulate gyrus. There's no telling if this baby has one - probably not.

Digeridude
Dec 30, 2008

I HAVE THEORIES!
NEUTRONS DONT EXIST!
PI IS INFINITE!

iamyourgoldfish posted:

"Pain" doesn't exist if it isn't experienced. Neurons fire whether the impulse goes anywhere or not. You're using the same word for the electricity in your sensory neurons and the subjective experience of the electricity. The latter requires a cortex (or something), the former is just electricity.

It is not by any definition reasonable to think that unconscious people react to things. Unconscious means not conscious means not aware. No one home. In practice, this is more of a continuum than an on/off switch, but you're consistently talking about "unconscious" as though you think it refers to any state in which someone can't move.

Comatose people stay still because the parts of their brains that would make decisions about moving around aren't working.

You're displaying serious ignorance here and should probably stop talking as though you have any expertise on the brain.

Only takes a couple of seconds:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22anterior+cingulate+gyrus%22+pain

Digeridude
Dec 30, 2008

I HAVE THEORIES!
NEUTRONS DONT EXIST!
PI IS INFINITE!

iamyourgoldfish posted:

Now, without using wikipedia, tell us where the anterior cingulate is located. For bonus points, tell us how retarded you are for suggesting that someone with no forebrain might possess one.

Something hasn't really struck you yet, has it? Anencephalics die after sixty seconds. This one has been alive for nearly a month (assuming it's true), suggesting that it has more of a brain than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digeridude
Dec 30, 2008

I HAVE THEORIES!
NEUTRONS DONT EXIST!
PI IS INFINITE!

iamyourgoldfish posted:

Let me get this straight - it's plausible to you that, while this particular baby needs a feeding tube because she doesn't have the reflexes required to swallow, she might possess anything like a functional cortex?

You know what? You're right. The baby can't feel pain, and so it's completely fair for her to keep it alive. I'm done here - I'm off to kill some sponges and jellyfish without remorse.