Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tybuc
Jan 12, 2004

I知 just trying to change my life because I知 not above killing any drug dealer for money.

proddo posted:

Speaking of tiny brains, I always thought this guy was pretty cool - his brain is mostly fluid and there's only tiny bits of brain matter around the sides of his skull.

He's a civil servant, more brain matter would probably be a hindrance to his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tybuc
Jan 12, 2004

I知 just trying to change my life because I知 not above killing any drug dealer for money.

DarkCrawler posted:

I'm sorry, but I can't understand the people who say that it's okay to let her continue doing this to herself. It isn't. It's not a baby. It's a bundle of nerves with just enough brain left to stay alive with serious assistance. It's the same thing as those mothers in natural disasters who refuse to let go their children's corpses. Even in those cases it doesn't continue for this long time.

Some needs to intervene on this, for the sake of the mother and to end the horrible undead existence of the thing. I know it doesn't feel pain but it's still torture to keep it alive. It's existence has no meaning to it. It doesn't have any sort of connection to it's mother, it doesn't cry or laugh or do any of the other stuff that babies do.

It isn't meant to stay alive. It serves as nothing more then it's mother's last desperate connection to what it would feel like to have a child. It's not right to keep it in this condition.

Yes it will certainly help that the fleeting moments of semi-delusional joy that a mom get to spend with her newborn before it expires from being a brainless mutant should certainly last as short as possible.

Hey, kid, that candy cane is bad for you. Let me relieve you of its bondage.

Tybuc
Jan 12, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

The longer it lasts the worse it will hit when it finally dies. Every day it stays alive longer her expectations build up (as the gradual craziness of the blog shows).

Or maybe without significant enough time to say goodbye her mental state will completely snap. She's in a distressed state of mind and not thinking clearly. Do you think traumatizing her is going to make her think any more rationally or do you think it's more likely to push her to the next level of psychosis? If you answered door number 1 then visit goatse.cx to meet your mental equivalent of human understanding.

Pour le Merite posted:

Since this woman is in Canada it may well be a very expensive candy cane paid for by the taxpayer. If she decides to pay for any costs that arise out of pocket then she can keep that personal pacifier around for the next 40 years if she wants to even if it will probably ruin any chance at a normal life for herself.

Can't argue with that.

Tybuc
Jan 12, 2004

TiredDaemon posted:

The worst part about all this, is that the posts detailing the crazed mother screaming at the athiest doctors for killing her baby are almost certainly what is going to happen. At this point, the mother seems to have deluded herself so much, that anything good that happens is from god and anything bad is from the devils. In short, no matter what happens at this point, the mother will have a psychotic break when her baby dies. Her only hope is being hospitalized immediately after the baby's death, because anything less will reinforce her own beliefs in a manner that will probably cause permanent psychosis.

But you see it's unacceptable to have emotions or go into breakdowns about tragic events (unless of course video game/comic book characters dying).

Tybuc
Jan 12, 2004

Blue Bar Crash posted:

There's grieving, and then there's mental illness.

Who's saying she's not mentally ill or at least behaving so?

I'm saying she was brought to such a precipitous brink of sanity through a very traumatic emotional experience, something several people have proudly displayed they can't get through attachments to other people.

Tybuc
Jan 12, 2004

prick with tenure posted:

http://www.christiantelegraph.com/issue5442.html

Take a second to read this article. The enabling going on here is absolutely disgusting. The mother has an excuse for not thinking straight, but the "Christian community" here is unforgivably doing its utmost to encourage a delusion that's going to break this person's mind. It's a reckless preying upon the weak for the sake of advancing an absurd anti-science agenda. I hate this loving story so much.

No doubt. It's a horrible and inhuman thing that they're giving her false hopes. On the other hand:

quote:

"For some reason I had to give the doctors my decision over and over again, which was frustrating. One doctor asked, 'Can I ask why you want to continue this pregnancy?' I guess some people are baffled by unconditional love."

Seems fairly easy to imagine that some woman who is not too bright but very devoted would develop an "us against the world" mentality if continually pressured to give up one of the few things she has. Compassion on the front end might have caused her to make the more rational decision to say goodbye instead of being caught between two sides of assholes, both who stubbornly refuse to budge because their ideology is the only thing in the world to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tybuc
Jan 12, 2004

Furious Mittens posted:

Wait a second - Doctors, some of them highly specialized, were telling her what this means for the "child". They explained to her what the absence of a brain means. They explained that these movements are merely reflex actions and tried to head off this train wreck. To cover their own asses, there is nothing wrong with verifying this woman's wishes and to make it clear what they have outlined to her. She refused to listen and is being prodded into believing and seeing things that just simply are not there. Now she paints the medical staff as being the bad guys.

Well of course. Every doctor, especially one in a public hospital who is constantly overworked, is beyond human and will never exhibit any negative character traits commonly associated with "normal people." Do you ever talk with actual people or does everyone exist as a caricature in your head?

For the record, I'm well aware that there might be some overstatement in her account to force it to be a heartfelt story with a happy ending. But to mindlessly take a couple facts, make a decision absent of possible circumstance, and filling in the details with your own personal bias is the same sort of attitude that contributes to making a terrible situation like this even worse. But at least you've got the balls to understand that the scientific community should make each and every decision of peoples' lives, a sure fire way to keep paranoia and hostility high against new scientific developments that can actually make life better for everyone.

prick with tenure posted:

When this "symbol of Christ's victory" or whatever starts coughing up blood and phlegm next week and then drowns in it the mother's probably going to slip over the edge and never come back. Her friends and family are killing her. No sane, responsible, caring friend or family member would ever allow her to post this kind of blog or be interviewed for articles like the one quoted above.

If it dies on its own at least she'll have the out of saying it was God's will and her time to come home while still being able to claim a miracle since it did live a long time for a brainless freak. Overly religious mania only lasts so long, as long as she can avoid doing anything too stupid during that time hopefully there will be some peace at the end.

Tybuc fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 23, 2009