Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«60 »
tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

December 28, 2009 it's coming back

There is also "Heritage Dr Pepper"

YES MOUNTAIN DEW THROWBACK HAS CHANGED, IT'S NOW MORE ORANGEY

Look for the new labels:

http://www.pepsithrowbackhub.com/

Pepsi posted:

Due to all the Throwback tweets, Facebook fan pages, videos, blog posts, pics & pleas, Pepsi Throwback is coming back!! Starting December 28th Pepsi and Mountain Dew Throwback will be available again for 8 weeks with the same formula and natural sugar, but this time with an even more rad vintage look!

Don't use the Pepsi.com locator - it loving sucks

If you want to find it, check BevReview.com's Twitter Throwback search thing

Not available in Canada

Pepsi Natural is all natural ingredients with Kola nut - it's not just Pepsi with sugar, it's a different (but tasty) beast

quote:

"This spring, Pepsi and Mountain Dew are inviting consumers on a nostalgic trip back in time by offering special retro versions of these popular beverages."

"The Pepsi Throwback and Mountain Dew Throwback packaging feature a retro look and are sweetened with natural sugar, just as they were back in the '60s and '70s, to give consumers a taste of the past"

A good run-down from BevReview.com (lots of user spottings)

Facts:
- 12oz cans or 20oz bottles (no 2-liter at this time)
- Available starting April 20th
- Production to run around 8 weeks (possibly longer if consumers demand it)

Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and a lot of small Stop-and-Go type places have been stocking it here and there over the last week, unofficially. My local Wal-Mart has it and I'll probably pick it up tonight or tomorrow.

Even though I have easy access to Dublin Dr Pepper as well as both Mexican Pepsi (not as much) and Coke, it would be nice to be able to get sugar Pepsis for a lot cheaper than buying the imports.

Given how many people have been posting about it on other sites, somebody here had to have had some by now.

The Sugar Association congratulates Pepsi

quote:

WASHINGTON, April 20 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Sugar Association and its member companies congratulate PepsiCo and local bottlers across the country on their introduction of Pepsi Throwback and Mountain Dew Throwback to U.S. consumers. These retro drinks using real, all-natural sugar are a win-win for all.

The introduction of these two new products, using all-natural sugar rather than high fructose corn syrup is a boon to local economies, supporting local sugar growers and processors. The sugar industry employs over 146,000 workers, contributes $10 billion to local economies and provides community support on the local level across the United States.

And now, consumers will have a choice in beverages - drinks made with real, all-natural sugar, vs. high fructose corn syrup.

"While these products are only on the market shelves for an 8-week period, we are confident that the consumers will like the clean, crisp taste of Pepsi Throwback and Mountain Dew Throwback and encourage PepsiCo to continue with these two drinks," stated Andy Briscoe, President and CEO of the Sugar Association. "If consumers voice their approval for these two drinks by buying a few cases of each, then we are hopeful that PepsiCo will continue with these two and add other sugar-based drinks in their product line-up."

Look for Pepsi Throwback and Mountain Dew Throwback on your local retailer shelves.

tonelok fucked around with this message at Feb 7, 2010 around 05:37

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...

If I can find some spare change, I'll see if I can give these a go; I've always liked cane sugar better than high fructose corn syrup.

IntrepidInventive
Nov 28, 2008

That Pepsi label looks a million times better than that retarded "modern" logo poo poo they have going now. And if this is successful hopefully it will become a regular thing.

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.

It does taste better without all that artificial poo poo they throw in nowadays.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

IntrepidInventive posted:

That Pepsi label looks a million times better than that retarded "modern" logo poo poo they have going now. And if this is successful hopefully it will become a regular thing.

I like both the logos actually.

What I DON'T like is that they are basically coming out and saying that this is the past, sugar in soft drinks is never going to happen again.

edit: I mean to say, even if they do decide to keep it around, it will be "retro" forever while they keep pushing their normal stuff like normal.

Johnny Walker
Jun 14, 2005

I've got a home for
Bloggers Let's exchange
ideas,stories and photos
with friendly writers
and editors.

I bet they still suck. I do want to try the real-sugar Coke though. And now I think I'm gonna order some of that Dr Pepper. I never even knew it existed.

General Adventure
Feb 16, 2007

Cane sugar almost always tastes better than this high fructose corn syrup stuff.

Isn't there a big hub-hub about high fructose corn syrup and the detrimental effects on one's health anyway?

JohnnyChimpo
Mar 10, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

one of the few great things about living outside the US is not having to deal with that HFCS poo poo

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!

This is exciting because it means Coke will do the same thing (I hope). I've never been able to try cane sugar Coke, but I've always wanted to.

c0balt
Nov 14, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2227 days!

I'll admit that real sugar is much better in flavor, but I just can't stand drinking soda these days. The amount of sugar/hfcs in the stuff just makes me sick. That and I know what regular soda drinkers look like, and that's not a path I want to take.

Scheme
Jul 31, 2005

They should've done these in glass.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Nightmare fuel

I want to see some blind taste tests. It'd be pretty funny if after all the hubbub about HFCS, most people still prefer it.

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

IntrepidInventive posted:

This was the leaked packaging or whatever that was being tossed around before they went with the one in the OP (I kind of like this one better):

Samurai Sanders posted:

What I DON'T like is that they are basically coming out and saying that this is the past, sugar in soft drinks is never going to happen again.
That does bug the poo poo out of me as well.

They've implied in interviews that consumer demand would have to be strong for them to continue the Throwback line. I think it will do well, but I just get the feeling that they've set an incredibly high bar, based on there "we just thought this would be fun to go retro for a few months" stuff.

They know there is a market for people who are tired of HFC-based crap - Dublin Dr Pepper has a huge following, and a lot of people in the border states buy Mexican Coke and Pepsi as it is. It's not just Hispanics that buy the import Cokes and Pepsis either.

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Guns don't kill people.

I do.

I noticed that you don't want to drink as much soda with cane vs regular soda.

That and it just plain tastes better.

Johnny Walker
Jun 14, 2005

I've got a home for
Bloggers Let's exchange
ideas,stories and photos
with friendly writers
and editors.

SpeedyCow posted:

This is exciting because it means Coke will do the same thing (I hope). I've never been able to try cane sugar Coke, but I've always wanted to.
Coke does this every year at Passover.

Edit: Look for the yellow cap on 2-liter bottles.

http://consumerist.com/consumer/coke/get-ready-for-passover-coke-244460.php

Johnny Walker fucked around with this message at Apr 20, 2009 around 20:10

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

My guess is that they receive some sort of compensation for using HFCS.

I dont drink soda really but Hansen's cane sugar sodas are great tasting.

DB_Cooper fucked around with this message at Apr 20, 2009 around 20:11

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Oh dear, I think I just fell off the Mountain Dew wagon...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Lobok posted:

I want to see some blind taste tests. It'd be pretty funny if after all the hubbub about HFCS, most people still prefer it.
I also suspect that it would, just because HFCS is what most people are used to by this point. And I don't think most people drink soft drinks because they want to experience something new and exciting.

edit vvvv that too. I don't hear it used in a positive context very often.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Throwback seems like a very questionable choice of name.

I drank too much pepsi now I need to throwback some

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

Lobok posted:

You can do it on your own - Dublin Dr Pepper can be ordered over the internet for fairly cheap if you don't have a store that stocks it nearby.

I've done the blind taste test thing several times with people, and they almost always prefer Dublin Dr Pepper. I think the most common comment besides how much sweeter it is, is the lack of an aftertaste, versus the fructose stuff in normal Dr Pepper.

Pepsi/Coke, I don't know about blind taste tests though since Dr Pepper is quite a bit different.

The other problem is we've now had basically two generations raised on HFC-based stuff.

zeebs
Dec 21, 2003
Pink lemon.

The real, and most noticeable difference, is that the soda doesn't taste oily or have any sort of lingering texture in your mouth (that, yes, syrupy feeling). It's also true that you're likely to drink less if it's got real sugar in it.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Is there a reason Mountain Dew has seemingly vanished here in the UK? I can never seem to find it anymore. I doubt I'd want to drink it nowadays though.

FoodStampBrown
Jul 18, 2002

"You go get your gun! And pack a lunch, you're gonna be here a while!"

As a person who remembers when colas were made with sugar , I am beside myself with happiness. Now if they could just get Ring-Dings to taste like they used to ... my Saturday mornings will be complete

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

As someone allergic to corn syrup (I pretty much had to stop eating prepackaged food) this is great. I haven't had any Mountain Dew since High School.

tonelok
Sep 28, 2001

Carecat posted:

Throwback seems like a very questionable choice of name.
Yeah. Pepsi Retro would have been better.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I also suspect that it would, just because HFCS is what most people are used to by this point. And I don't think most people drink soft drinks because they want to experience something new and exciting.
If I were a Pepsi or Coca-Cola executive, I would have came out with sugar-based Pepsi or Coke a long time ago and targeted Mexican-Americans with it. I don't know how it is outside of Texas, but any decent Mexican restaurant down here usually has Mexican Coke and Mexican Pepsi (for a big price markup). Given some of the niche markets that Coke and Pepsi have went after, I would think that Mexican-Americans would be a huge market in comparison. You could also target those of us in our 30s (And older) as well who remember the way they used to be.

Man In The Boat
Jan 2, 2006
Let's get down to brass tacks

General Adventure posted:

Isn't there a big hub-hub about high fructose corn syrup and the detrimental effects on one's health anyway?

It's not much worse than sugar, if at all. Manufacturers just use it a lot more liberally than they do sugar because it's so much cheaper. HFCS doesn't make you fatter because it's worse for you: It makes you fatter because manufacturers can make a candy bar 10% bigger for the same price. I personally can't taste the difference.

I prefer the classic logos. The new Pepsi swirl logo looks like someone sneezed while drawing it, and the overall can looks like it was made as a product placement for Judge Dredd 2. The modern Mountain Dew logo is awful too, with its Xtreme left lean and gradients.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

I said this in the last thread on this subject, but can anyone imagine what a cola would taste like if it was just significantly less sweet, period? I'd like to try it, but I doubt such a thing will ever appear.

edit: given that right now, I drink soft drinks once every few months, and drink unsweetened iced tea every day.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at Apr 20, 2009 around 20:22

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

zeebs posted:

The real, and most noticeable difference, is that the soda doesn't taste oily or have any sort of lingering texture in your mouth (that, yes, syrupy feeling). It's also true that you're likely to drink less if it's got real sugar in it.

I don't drink much soda these days and that's one of the big reasons why. Diet soda has a terrible aftertaste and soda with corn syrup feels disgusting. I'm definitely going to be picking up a bottle of the Mountain Dew up to try, as I don't think I've ever had it with sugar.

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande

Has there ever been any verifiable trial testing that can confirm the human tongue and brain can differentiate between the minute chemical differences of fructose and sucrose? I'd like to see that before I participate in this obnoxious debate of which "tastes better", otherwise it sounds like a placebo effect influenced by socialization, brand loyalty, marketing and nationalism.

quote:

No all sugar is bad for you, it causes an insulin spike, contains no nutritional value and increases body fat. Sugar (of any type) is only good for you post-workout. Switch to water or calorie-free sodas.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Ken Levine Fan Club posted:

Has there ever been any verifiable trial testing that can confirm the human tongue and brain can differentiate between the minute chemical differences of fructose and sucrose? I'd like to see that before I participate in this obnoxious debate of which "tastes better", otherwise it sounds like a placebo effect influenced by socialization, brand loyalty, marketing and nationalism.
I can tell in a blind taste test.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

My dad is in his 60's and Pepsi is his beverage of choice. I'm going to get him some of this and ask him if it tastes like it did when he was a boy.

FalseParadigm
Apr 29, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.

Man In The Boat posted:

The modern Mountain Dew logo is awful too, with its Xtreme left lean and gradients.
Isn't "Mtn DeW" supposed to be "x-treme" now?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

FalseParadigm posted:

I think they were going for text messaging style truncation.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

Taste is perhaps the wrong word. The texture is definitely different.

Of course, how much that matters to you is subjective, we've all heard someone say they can't even tell the difference between coke and pepsi.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I thought I heard that Fructose Corn Syrup was harder to digest and less healthy for you because of that.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004
Walker...is a dangerous man..! Lee Marvin IS Walker, in Point Blank!

Johnny Walker posted:

I bet they still suck. I do want to try the real-sugar Coke though. And now I think I'm gonna order some of that Dr Pepper. I never even knew it existed.

If you have a Costco, you might be able to find Coke there.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

FalseParadigm posted:

I dont know but the world of warcraft mountain dew made me laugh so hard that i thought i was going to be sick. They certainly know their demographic well.

Has there ever been any verifiable trial testing that can confirm the human tongue and brain can differentiate between the minute chemical differences of fructose and sucrose?

People are capable of telling where a certain wine is grown or who distills a certain liquor from taste alone. I would imagine that HFCS vs Sugar is much simpler in comparison. Its part of the job description for a Master Sommelier to tell the difference in grapes grown in different regions of france. Granted, theres only about 150 Master Sommeliers worldwide.

DB_Cooper fucked around with this message at Apr 20, 2009 around 20:40

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

I promise, that one day, everything's going to be better for you.

I can tell the difference between Mexican Coke and US Coke. It is not really hard to tell the difference. I am kind of a freak since I can tell the difference between Coke by region/bottling plant. Coke has gotten better about unifying the taste nationwide in the last couple of years, but you can still tell differences.

Unreal
Mar 14, 2007
unf! unf!

When I get the urge for soda I go and get mexican coke from a mexican meat market. The difference in flavor is just worlds apart, plus you get the awesome glass bottles which just makes you feel so retro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Man In The Boat posted:

It's not much worse than sugar, if at all.
HFCS is a complex sugar, meaning it has to be converted to glucose before your body can metabolize it at all; unlike fructose, which your body can metabolize more or less upon consumption.

Also, studies point to an unusual trend in higher cancer tendencies in those who regularly consume larger amounts of HFCS, but since there's no definitive proof pointing at HFCS as the greatest contributing factor, it's easily dismissed.

Add to this, the fact you pointed out about price, and the fact that the sugar industry wasn't willing to cut profits to wholesale to the beverage industry, and you end up with HFCS being so damned popular. Considering the economic troubles, this really was beverages aiding the sugar industry.

«60 »