Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Finally got around to cracking open Cobra II. It's been on my shelf for a bit but I couldn't go through it because of grad school. They had a good summary of Iraqi perspectives by Chapter 3 which is fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doogie Howser M.D.
Nov 24, 2007

I picked up two books this weekend. I just finished reading Factotum by Charles Bukowski. It was an easy, quick read. The book reminded me of a grown up Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye. Although it's been years since I've read CITR, the writing style and general attitude of the main character seemed very similar.

The book I started reading tonight is Fraud by David Rakoff. I'm only a quarter through it but so far it seems very similar to a David Sedaris book, just not as witty imo. Still a good book though.

The personalities of each books protagonist are almost polar opposite. The guy from Factotum has an attitude towards life that I would love to gain (minus the alcoholism).

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
I have now begun the second overdue library book I've got out: Under the Net by Iris Murdoch. I've only read one essay by her, but I enjoyed it immensely and I wanted to check out her fiction works; this seems like as good a place to start as any.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Just started The Erasers by Alain Robbe-Grillet, loving it so far. Just how the hell do you pronounce Alain anyway? Ah-LAYNE?

metachronos fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 29, 2009

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
Ah-lahn robe gree-ay is about the size of it, I think, though it seems to be ripe for indecipherable gallic slurring of the last syllables.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

inktvis posted:

Ah-lahn robe gree-ay is about the size of it, I think, though it seems to be ripe for indecipherable gallic slurring of the last syllables.

Actually the other guy was right with ah-layn, it's just the French version of Allan though so you could just say that.

vicky thump
Jun 28, 2009
I started naked by david sedaris because I want to find out what all the fuss is over him. I'm only around 40 pages in, but it's okay so far..

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just started McCarthy's Child of God today and I'm kind of creeped out by it. Especially all the scenes with necrophilia

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I just started The Master and Margarita for like the fourth time. For some reason, every time I sit down to read this book my interest peters out, even though I thought the opening scene with Beriloz was awesome. I feel good about this go-round, though. I'm multilingual, but I know dick about the Soviet Union or the Russian language or even Cyrillic, and I've certainly never been to Russia. I'm hoping I'll still pick up on a lot of the subtexts.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

CloseFriend posted:

I just started The Master and Margarita for like the fourth time. For some reason, every time I sit down to read this book my interest peters out, even though I thought the opening scene with Beriloz was awesome. I feel good about this go-round, though. I'm multilingual, but I know dick about the Soviet Union or the Russian language or even Cyrillic, and I've certainly never been to Russia. I'm hoping I'll still pick up on a lot of the subtexts.
Best way to pick up the subtext of that book is to read Goethe's Faust, or be pretty familiar with it. I saw it as a sort of retelling that story, but with some character inversion.

Jim Bont
Apr 29, 2008

You were supposed to take those out of the deck.
Getting stuck into The Cold Six Thousand, so far so good. I was kind of let down by Ellroy's LA Quartet after reading American Tabloid which I think is the most entertaining book I've ever read, so I'm hoping this dazzles me once again.

Blue Moon
Jun 20, 2009
God Bless You, Mr Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut. I've read 6 of his other books and have enjoyed them all. I'll probably end up reading all his works.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
Just picked up The Angel's Game, Carlos Ruiz-Zafon's follow-up to The Shadow of the Wind, which was one hell of a fun book, imo. I've heard it described as a prequel, but I suspect it's more of a prequel in spirit than in fact. Regardless, it's a gothic tale of books and authors set in 1930s Barcelona; count me in.

Edit: whoever came up with these dust covers that only partially cover the book needs to be shot, though. It's like a guarantee that the loving thing is going to get torn.

Ballsworthy fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 30, 2009

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
I just started A Confederacy of Dunces. Someone was giving it away and I had heard about it before so I figured why not. I'm about 90 pages in and nothing really interesting has happened at all. I'm pretty disappointed with it so far considering how much praise it seems to have gotten for being funny.

edit: I think it's not a bad book by any means, but I think the humor it was known for has caught up to it. It feels fresh which is great for any book written 40 years ago, but I think so many people have kind of based their sarcastic, odd, anti-hero on Ignatius that it's not really innovative or rare to see the exploits of the archetype.

Whistling Asshole fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 2, 2009

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Blue Moon posted:

God Bless You, Mr Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut. I've read 6 of his other books and have enjoyed them all. I'll probably end up reading all his works.

That and Jailbird are my favorites from Vonnegut. I'm working on Slapstick in between classes and A Peace to End All Peace at home. It's about the fall of the Ottoman empire and how the European powers had been planing the carving for a long while, also holy poo poo I never realized how anti-semetic higher ups in the British government were at the time.

DJEldritch
Mar 17, 2008

Sometimes in life, you have to screw the root to stay on top of things and ride the crazy train to stay real.

However, if you're not careful, the root might screw you.
I just started reading 'The Apocalyse Reader' as edited by Justin Taylor.

It's a big bunch of short stories with an End of the World theme. Figured I needed another fix after finishing Brian Slattery's 'Liberation' a few days back.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Just received Death on the Installment Plan by Celine, How to Read a Book, and The Ancestor's Tale by Dawkins from Amazon.

It seems interesting that I could be reading more efficiently so I'll probably start How to Read a Book today. Despite it's age it has some great reviews on Amazon, and I've noticed how I've become a better reader over the years, I'm curious what else I could improve upon in terms of retaining the information and understanding a book better as a whole.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Just bought The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton on my Kindle. Heard good things about it and it was only $7.99. Of course, it is also something like 4000 pages long so I have no idea when I'll actually dive in and try to read it.

Currently reading The Complete Short Stories Of Ernest Hemingway: The Finca Vigia Edition. I started it awhile ago but put it down to read something else.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Knockemstiff by Donald Ray Pollock.

About half done and I am enjoying it immensely.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. I'm not really into serial killers, or books about world fairs, but this is suprisingly interesting to read. And its well written for a nonfiction book too. I just wish the Holmes chapters were longer... every drat time something devious is about to happen the chapter ends and HEY LETS TALK ABOUT THE FAIR NOW!

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
Just started A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I'm going to be reading Ulysses soon and a few people have suggested I begin with this one.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Merou posted:

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. I'm not really into serial killers, or books about world fairs, but this is suprisingly interesting to read. And its well written for a nonfiction book too. I just wish the Holmes chapters were longer... every drat time something devious is about to happen the chapter ends and HEY LETS TALK ABOUT THE FAIR NOW!

It is funny by the end of the book I enjoyed reading about the fair more than Holmes.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Snowmanatee posted:

Just started A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I'm going to be reading Ulysses soon and a few people have suggested I begin with this one.

Eh, it'll give you some back story on one of the main characters, but Ulysses is easy enough to jump into (I've only read a few pages of PoAYM).

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
The Strain - Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan.

Really tough to put down and enjoying it more than anything I've read in months.

nollek
Jun 13, 2007

We speak for Earth
Just started A Game of Thrones as requested by many goons. So far I'm about 150 pages in and am completely hooked. I love the backstabbing and the violence that goes on between the families (already).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Merou posted:

There are quite a few books out there about Holmes you just have to be careful because the dude lied about everything so its easy to take the sensationalist route when writing about him.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009
I've bought the first volume Michael Moorcock's Elric saga, The Stealer of Souls. I've read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, and thought it'd be a good idea to get back to basics and read some older stuff.

Darkrdier
May 24, 2004

And the gunslinger followed.
I am currently reading The Great Book of Amber and so far so good. It's been highly recommended to me by my fellow fantasy/sci-fi fans.

Nathander
Apr 23, 2008
I just bought and got a little bit into Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski. I had liked House of Leaves, so I thought I would give this a shot. So far, it seems like it's set up to be more of a long poem than a traditional book, whereas House of Leaves had basically been a traditional book with a different concept added (a secondary, fictional fellow reader).

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

nollek posted:

Just started A Game of Thrones as requested by many goons. So far I'm about 150 pages in and am completely hooked. I love the backstabbing and the violence that goes on between the families (already).

You will get much much more hooked. I picked it up because of goons as well and ended up reading all four in about 2 weeks. Couldn't put it down.

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
I've just started Bill Bryson's A Short History Of Nearly Everything and I'm enjoying every word of it. Its science for morons like me and brilliantly entertaining at the same time.

I never made it through Clive Barker's Imagica, I've had it for about four years now, and I'm about three hundred pages in. Every so often I pick it up and do thirty or forty pages, but I never get hooked enough to keep going, though I concede it appears to be a very good work of fantasy.

Doogie Howser M.D.
Nov 24, 2007

I just began The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl a couple of days ago.

I began reading it last summer and got a quarter way through it but stopped because I got caught up in other books. I just surpassed where I left off the last time and am finding it much more enjoyable this time through for some reason. It's really amazing how vivid the mental images I have of each passage and can remember the next passage coming up even though I wasn't too into it the first time. I really can't put it down now when I was kind of forcing myself to read it last year. Weird..

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Just picked up Niven's Ringworld, Greg Baer's Eon, and A Short History of the Universe by Stephen Hawking. Started Ringworld last night but haven't gotten far enough to have an impression yet.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I started Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan about a week ago. Very good book.

Blue Moon
Jun 20, 2009
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. It's great and the illustrations are spot on. It may be pretty short, but it is a children's book after all.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
After coming across this

Wikipedia posted:

In Alan Moore's comic The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier, Bertie [Wooster] appears in the segment "What Ho, Gods of the Abyss?" in which he blithely recounts the arrival of a Mi-go to Brinkley Court and Aunt Dahlia's possession by Cthulhu. The Lovecraftian menaces are driven off by Jeeves with the assistance of Mina Murray, Allan Quatermain, Carnacki, and Orlando. Throughout the events, Bertie remains unaware of the true nature of the goings-on.

I downloaded Carnacki, the Ghost Finder by William Hope Hodgson from Project Gutenberg I'd never heard of the character before and I was curious to see what he was about.

I'm only through the first story but it's really splendid gas lamp ghost fiction. Very like Holmes or Raffles but with a supernatural air it's lots of fun. Aside from wanting very badly to read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier now, I think I could do worse than to use that series as a checklist for good vintage reads I haven't heard of before.

Lord Humungus
Apr 15, 2009

Having just finished Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho, I ran out and bought Lunar Park. I'm nearly a quarter of the way in and it's been very interesting so far. It's a kind of post-modern Steven King homage, with the alcoholic, abusive author protagonist being a semi-fictionalised parody version of Bret Easton Ellis himself, trying to come to terms with his miserable new life as reluctant father in the suburbs. The basic story is that Ellis's suburban McMansion seems to be haunted by the ghost of his abusive father, while American Psycho inspired murders are occurring in his neighbourhood. I think you'd at least have to be familiar with Ellis and his major novels, like Psycho and Less Than Zero, to pick up on the little references and cameos by characters both real and fictional. At its heart I think Lunar Park's about how an author is haunted by his creations (there's definitely a sinister metaphor going on with his estranged son), and that writing often creates more demons than it excises.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Having started The Dark Tower series by Stephen King last week, I'm smack in the middle of it. I'm about to start the fourth one, Wizard and Glass. Bit nervous since I've read that the series begins to lose its flavor around this one, but I'm pretty determined to finish the series out now that I've gotten this far.

kelmaon
Jun 20, 2007

Last night I started The Boat, a collection of stories by Nam Le. It got quite a lot of press here in Australia when it won some awards a few months ago. He is claimed as an Australian author although he was born in Vietnam and now lives in the US. The critics drooled all over it when it came out and although I'm struggling to match their level of enthusiasm (so far) it's pretty drat good considering it's the guy's first book. The fact that he covers so many different settings (Iowa, Tehran, Colombia, Australia, New York, Hiroshima and the high seas) definitely adds to its appeal.

I also started Infinite Jest about three weeks ago, I'm currently in the middle of the introduction to Eschaton. A lot has been said about this book already so I'll just say that the description of it as a more accessible Gravity's Rainbow (with tennis) is pretty accurate. It is far and away the best thing I've read so far this year and I intend to recommend it to everyone I know.

Bought The Plot Against America and One Man's Bible from Thriftbooks a few days ago, it's way cheaper for me to buy these and pay $10 shipping than to fork out $30-45AUD for them here. I bought the first because I've never read any Roth and have heard good things about it, and the second because I read Soul Mountain (also by Gao Xingjian) last year and loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungfh
Nov 2, 2007

by Peatpot

BSAKat posted:

I started Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan about a week ago. Very good book.

I just picked up a copy of In Defense of Food by him yesterday. A lot of what I've read so far he also covered in that Google talks video, but it's still a good read. The guy's pretty intelligent, and a great writer.

• Locked thread