Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I started reading The Republic of Pirates by Colin Woodard a few days ago. It's essentially a political history of the Caribbean pirates during the golden age of piracy c. 1690-1720. It's not really an era or a subject I've ever had a lot of interest in but his take and explanation of the motivations for both the pirates and the people hunting them (and them usually not being just "let's go hunt for some treasure/stop our treasure from being taken") are so fascinating that I'm being really drawn in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Picked up Snow Crash, Mona Lisa Overdrive and Blood Meridian. Really like McCarthy and have never read SC yet. Not sure which to start with.

Haven't read Count Zero. Is it necessary before going into Mona Lisa? They didn't have CZ at the store.

From what I recall (although I haven't read either one in years so maybe I'm forgetting something) I think there's little to no connection between the two, other than both being in the Sprawl setting, so I'd say you should be fine.

• Locked thread