Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I just picked up Pygmy, Chuck Palahniuk's newest book. I always get his new ones even though the more recent ones have been disappointing. This loving book, however, is great. Probably my favorite of his right now just because of the mix of humor, gore, and ridiculousness. I won't spoil anything here, but drat is it good and the gimmick actually helps the story instead of hurting it like in Haunted.

I also have The Children's Hospital but haven't started it yet. I, too, saw it and got it on a whim because I figured it would be in and out of the bookstores like most of the McSweeney's stuff.

And chiming in on the 2666 ownage. Finished it awhile ago and loved it. Savage Detectives is great as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Just bought, and started, two:

Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell. I've read books about Joseph Campbell's work, but never any of his actual writing before. This is awesome and I'm zipping through it. Can't wait to pick up more after reading this one. The edition I bought is a recent reprint from the Joseph Campbell Society, it's a well-made hardcover and I'm happy to support them.

The Peasant Prince by Alex Storozynski. Thaddues Kosciuszko is the baddest Polish man who ever lived. That's the gist of the book and I'm inclined to agree. He was a Polish engineer who helped win the American Revolution by building forts-the most notable being West Point- and defending George Washington's early retreats by slowing down the British with downed trees and rerouted rivers and such. Then he goes home to Poland and starts a peasant revolution, it fails but he tries again. In his will, Kosciuszko wanted his estate to be used to free as many American slaves as it could, but Jefferson dithered and it got tied up in courts for decades. All this and I just started reading!

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I loaded up this past couple of weeks and now I have some prioritizing to do.

BOUGHT

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larson. The second in his published-posthumanously trilogy after Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I wasn't overwhelmed with the first book, but I liked it enough to pick this one up.

Camus: A Romance by Elizabeth Hawes. I heard her interviewed on The Diane Rehm Show and ordered the book immediately. It's part biography of Albert Camus and part memoir of this woman following in his footsteps to try and learn more about him. Considering [u]The Stranger[/b] is one of my favorite books, I'm looking forward to this one.

The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money by John Maynard Keynes. I wanted to go to the source of all the current "deficit spending" debate. I don't know how much I'll actually understand, but I'll look like a smarty-pants while reading it. Preferably with a pipe.

At the used store I got The Great Upheaval about America from 1788-1800, Reading the Man about Robert E. Lee's letters, and How to Read the Bible which is a guide to reading ancient scripture now but supposedly negates alot of it, so much so that Christopher Hitchens even recommended it.

STARTED

Don Quixote by Cervantes. I bought a book about going through all the "classics" and this was the first one on the list of novels. I thought it would be overwhelming, but I'm actually having a blast with it. I stick to 70 pages a day and take brief notes at the end of each chapter (like: CH 27 Don Quixote attacks priests) and at this rate I'll be done with the book by next weekend.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Without Pants posted:

I'd love to read something like this, let us know what you thought of it in the Finished thread.

It's been awhile but I finally finished it, check out the Finished thread if you're still interested.

Since Camus: A Romance sent me on a Camus kick, I picked up a bunch of his books for cheap and am plowing my way through them chronologically (and put all other books aside for the time being). I already got through The Stranger, with Myth of Sisyphus, Caligula and other plays, The Plague, The Rebel, and The Fall to go. I also ordered A Happy Death and The First Man, two unfinished novels that were published after his death. Luckily, most of his books are quick reads so this shouldn't set me back too much.

• Locked thread