Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Last couple of days been reading The Plague by Camus. Before that just finished Dr No which was good but an extremely slow start with Bond spending far too much time futzing around Jamaica (also even though I understand that the book was written in the 60s by a British person its still surprisingly racist.)

And for The Plague I ended up buying a copy even though I have it checked out from the library. Mostly because the library's only copy was extensively written in by some kind of moron. Its copiously underlined and there are a lot of margin notes, its quite annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not too far into The Unblemished by Conrad Williams. Its a pretty disturbing horror novel which I've made the mistake of reading during lunch break at work. Its chock full of horrific imagery which makes certain sections kind of hard to read.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arwox posted:

Im gonna take this as a recommendation.

The back of the book states that there is a "cannibalistic apocalypse that rips through modern day Britain" and it doesn't lie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just started Ian M. Banks Consider Phlebus, the first Culture novel. So far its pretty cool.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just started The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski aka the first Witcher book. I'm not very far into it but so far its just short stories involving Geralt, which is okay because they're pretty good stories.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just started Warren Ellis' Crooked Little Vein its enjoyable so far but is packed to the gills with "Ellis-isms." Basically the main character is hired by the US Government (through a smack addicted White House Chief of Staff) to find the Secret Constitution and every lead he follows seems to include some new kind of pervert.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Blood Meridian is kind of a difficult read until it clicks with you (if it ever does) so I'd say hold back on that one at least. Lovecraft is all short stories so you could probably read it in between other stuff and since I've never read A Moveable Feast I'd say go with 1984.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just started McCarthy's Child of God today and I'm kind of creeped out by it. Especially all the scenes with necrophilia

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Merou posted:

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. I'm not really into serial killers, or books about world fairs, but this is suprisingly interesting to read. And its well written for a nonfiction book too. I just wish the Holmes chapters were longer... every drat time something devious is about to happen the chapter ends and HEY LETS TALK ABOUT THE FAIR NOW!

There are quite a few books out there about Holmes you just have to be careful because the dude lied about everything so its easy to take the sensationalist route when writing about him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghost Boner posted:

I'm considering buying Battle Royale by Koushun Takami, as I enjoyed the movie. Is it worth my money?

Its quite a bit different in that it goes into deeper background to things like the school kids and the society of the setting. Some of the characters are different as well. Just don't go into it expecting it to be exactly the same and you'll probably like it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just picked up My Work is Not Done by Thomas Ligotti. We'll see how this goes but its just nice to see him getting wider releases of stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just picked up an interesting book today called The Skeptic's Guide to Conspiracies by Monte Cook. It covers a lot of the bigger conspiracies and gives a basic rundown of them (usually with a slightly mocking tone for the crazier stuff.) Monte Cook is a D&D sourcebook writer and helped create Dark Matter if that means anything to anyone. He also wrote one of the Dark Matter novels, Of Aged Angels.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gay4BluRayz posted:

I got John Dies At The End as an early Christmas gift from one of my students. It actually looks kind of entertaining. I understand it was some sort of internet thing before it was a book, I guess. I have high hopes, however.

I just started reading this myself (got it from the library) and so far I'm enjoying it. It's certainly an easy read.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Went to the used book store and picked up Armageddon 2419 AD by Philip Francis Nowlan. It's the original novel upon which they based the "Buck Rogers" series. Although in the novel his name is Anthony Rogers and he's fighting off the Mongolian hordes who have conquered the world.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just started The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank due to a girl I've been talking to on OK Cupid saying it's her favorite book. I'm actually really liking it so far. It's alternatively funny and sad. (note, it's not actually a guide to hunting and fishing for girls.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Started reading Codex by Lev Grossman (author of The Magicians) and it proves that Magicians wasn't a one hit wonder. It's the story of an investment banker who gets sucked into the search for a possibly mythical medieval novel which might be involved with a mysterious open source computer game.

Very interesting so far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

nate fisher posted:

I just got Black Hills by Dan Simmons. I like Simmons a lot but his stuff can be hit and miss for me. That said when he hits it is a homerun most of the time.

I really liked The Magicians (might be my favorite book I read so far this year). I might try Codex.

If you loved The Magicians you'll really like at least Codex. I'm a little over half way through it and I'm really enjoying it.

Also, how is Black Hills? I really liked Drood and enjoyed The Terror (up until the end at least.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you didn't like Gardens of the Moon you probably won't like Perdido Street Station either.

As for the Amber books I think the reason was that each book by itself are pretty short so printing them each separately would have been expensive. Although why they didn't split it into it's two halves is beyond me since it has a natural breaking point in the story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I found them both to be rather boring in the same way. Like the characters and story were almost secondary to the setting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Got Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse from the library the other day. I'm not too far into it but man is it good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have the Hilda Rossner translation and while I'm not sure of the veracity of the it as a whole it reads very well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Bought the Chronicles of Narnia online. I'm going to do a completely secular reading of it. Aslan? Just a magic lion :smug:

That's kind of hard to do when you get to the last couple of books which involve Aslan creating Narnia straight out of Genesis.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just started Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters which is a book of essays he wrote back in 2002. It's just as funny as you would expect, especially one about how awful Radio Shack is. A weird thing is his contempt for TV considering, you know, the whole writing/starring in a popular show for 10 years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Started reading Procession of the Dead by Darren Shan. This is Shan's first "Adult" novel after writing in the Young Adult field so this means he has an easy to read style. The book takes place in an unnamed city (referred only as The City) in modern America that is completely run by the crime boss known as The Cardinal. The story follows a young man named Capac Raimi as he dives into the world of organized crime in The City. Although the book is set in modern times it features a lot of odd mystical happenings with an emphasis on Incan mythology.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Started Simmons' Black Hills not too long ago and I'm still kind of ambivalent on it. The main story isn't too bad but the Custer interludes are annoying since they're just him going on and on about banging his wife.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Picked up The Passage today due to recommendations from another thread. Also got it for half price at Waldenbooks so paid something like $14 for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wyatt posted:

I just started Johannes Cabal The Necromancer, Jonathan L. Howard. It appears to be a dark comedy.

That's weird because I just started Johannes Cabal The Necromancer, Jonathan L. Howard. I'm about 50 pages in and it's pretty fun but definitely a dark comedy because when you think about it a lot of the main characters actions are completely reprehensible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just started Johannes Cabal: The Detective and so far I think it's actually quite a bit funnier than the first book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chamberk posted:

Just started Jonathan Lethem's "Motherless Brooklyn" about a PI who has Tourette's. Should be pretty good, I like Lethem and this is supposedly his best.

It's pretty good but his best is probably Gun, with Occasional Music.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just started Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep. It's pretty good for a 71 year old detective novel. Although I have to say I was kind of surprised to see the term "fag" used for gay as I didn't think it was that old.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I picked up Paul is Undead from the library a couple of days ago but am not too far into it yet. It's supposed to be a kind of satirical look at the whole Beatles phenomenon except through the lens of horror. My problem with it so far is that while the author calls the various undead "zombies" they are so far divorced from the traditional definition that it becomes meaningless to call them that. The "zombies" in the book have their original intelligence, age (up to around 50 then they stop,) can eat normal food, have sex and are almost indestructible other than a small spot on their neck and even then you need a diamond bullet to kill one.

Also its supposed to be an oral history except early on the author interviews John Lennon and he really, really doesn't sound like anything Lennon said at all. He writes Lennon in a kind of broad "British" accent with plenty of "fooken" and "sod all"s mixed in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

King Plum the Nth posted:

I've read some of Chandler's short stories but I can't recall having read The Big Sleep. I did recently rewatch the film for a Boggie fix and forgot how convoluted the plot was.

Have you found this to be the case with the book?

Yeah, it's convoluted as poo poo. Marlowe solves the case he was originally paid for like half way through the book and then just wanders around solving a mystery that nobody asked him to, wasn't getting paid to do and constantly told people he wasn't trying to.

The chauffeur thing is a great example. You never find out exactly what the circumstances were of his death and it never really effects anything.

To be fair, it was Chandler's first book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Started Tell All the new Palahniuk book the other day. So far I'm really liking it. The gimmick for this book is that it has a TON of old movie/actor references and its written in almost screenplay format. Like there are a lot of camera movement descriptions and other various techniques.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm about halfway through Voltaire's Candide and I'm not sure what I was expecting but it definitely wasn't that it would be funny as hell.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

David Wong is a pseudonym but its nothing super weird or anything like that. He's also the EiC Senior Editor at Cracked.com where he writes articles.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 10, 2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Went on a zombie kick. Finished up the Morningstar strain (Z.A. Recht) and Rise Again ( Ben Tripp ).

Both were pretty good, but I enjoyed Morningstar strain a little moreso than Rise again. RA was mostly about a single character and her search for her sister, while MS was about a few different people and how hosed up the planet got.

Still, worth a read.

Started the Mistborn trilogy by Sanderson, and after that it's going back to zombies with City of the Dead, etc :)

Have you tried the David Wellington "Monster" (Monster Island, Monster Nation and Monster Planet) series? I like that it eschews the modern trope of trying to explain the plague scientifically with a virus or bacteria. It also has an interesting wrinkle in that his books have "smart" zombies who through design or happenstance keep their mental faculty.

For myself I just started Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail which is the first time I've ever read Thompson and he's pretty drat good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Part way through Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey. Its pretty fun so far, basic premise is the story of James Stark who used to be an up and coming young magician before he was sold to Hell by his Circle. After 11 years he's out of Hell and back for revenge.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brave New Worlds a collection of short stories with a dystopic theme. Its got some good stuff in there but I'm slightly disappointed with the Kindle version since as far as I know they didn't include links to the stories in a table of contents.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm part way through Assassination Nation by humorist Sarah Vowell and I'm really enjoying it so far. The book follows Vowell as she travels the country looking for places involved in the various assassinations/assassination attempts against US presidents. Despite the serious subject matter the book is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dr Scoofles posted:

I don't know why I'm doing this, I had a leftover Amazon voucher so I grabbed G.R.R.Martin's A Game of Thrones.

Barely started and some 13 year old is getting her tit felt up by her bro... should be an interesting read I suppose. Personally I blame you. Yes, you The Book Barn! Never even heard of the guy except in here.

Except he has that whole TV adaptation of the series starting this Sunday on HBO.

• Locked thread