Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

Macrame_God posted:

I just started Oil! by Upton Sinclair. I enjoyed The Jungle and I've always wanted to read more from Sinclair, but never got around to it. Well, now I'm getting around to it and, even though I just started, I'm enjoying it very much. In fact, I think I'm enjoying it more than The Jungle.

Oil! is loving fantastic. I read it about 3 years after reading The Jungle because the There Will Be Blood trailer had just come out.

As for me I just finished rereading The Great Gatsby and I just got The Zombie Survival Guide in the mail from amazon. I bought it more for a toilet book than a solid sit down and read book. I'm thinking of buying The Winter of Our Discontent since I like Steinbeck and find his work easy to read, but I also only have 2 more Albert Camus books to read before I've read all his books.

Or I could buy a nerd book theres that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merou
Jul 23, 2005

I just started reading Starship Troopers, however I bought it in 1997 when the movie came out and I was 12. I never read it until now, at 24. Its so old the drat pages have even started yellowing. Its even got the movie cover on it.

I'm only about 100 pages in, its not that bad. I'll probably finish it in a couple days. I'm trying to read my backlog of books so I started with this, I think I might finally read the 3rd LOTR book after that.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005

V-Men posted:

Is the book even a 100 pages long?

It's funny to think the cover has Casper Van Dien on it and then at the end of the book you learn the actual ethnicity of Juan Rico.

My copy is 263 pages long.
I'm at the part where the book rants about those goddamn kids not getting spanked and ruining the world.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005

I bought The Road today. I've been seeing a fair amount of Cormac McCarthy threads lately (and in the last page alone 2 people also bought this book) so I decided to give his books a try. I think if I like his writing style I'm going to buy more of his work but I'm still going to just take it a book at a time. I've been trying not to buy books I'm not ready to start right away anymore. It leads to a large backlog. :(

Merou
Jul 23, 2005

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. I'm not really into serial killers, or books about world fairs, but this is suprisingly interesting to read. And its well written for a nonfiction book too. I just wish the Holmes chapters were longer... every drat time something devious is about to happen the chapter ends and HEY LETS TALK ABOUT THE FAIR NOW!

Merou
Jul 23, 2005

nate fisher posted:

It is funny by the end of the book I enjoyed reading about the fair more than Holmes.

Yeah, I'm getting that too. Especially when Ferris shows up and its the world's first Ferris wheel. Or just random famous people linked to the fair.

But going from "oh thats interesting" to "he skinned her face off and you're not going to talk about it? goddamnit!" Then it happens over and over.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005

I just got Tortilla Flat by Steinbeck today for my reading at work book. I liked Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men so I imagine this will probably be good too.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005

I bought Blood Meridian on Thursday, I just finished reading Candide for the book club so I'll probably start it tomorrow.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005

I bought Whatever by Michel Houellebecq, Les Miserables by Victor Hugo and The Time Machine and The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells as part of a set.

Now that I have a good paying job I have money for books, but I have little time to actually read them. It just aint right. I went from a decent sized book a week to roughly 30 pages from Monday to right now. I'm halfway through Blood Meridian, when I try to read it at work during lunch I get like 4 pages knocked out and have to leave. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merou
Jul 23, 2005

I just started Deadly Companions, which is a nonfiction microbiology/infectious disease history book... but then I bought book 13 of the Dresden files today.

So I'm starting the dresden files book today.

• Locked thread