Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I picked up Roberto Bolano's Nazi Literature in the Americas a few days ago since I couldn't get enough of him, and I also bought the Melville edition of Harper Perreniel's new little short story collection, because I love what they've been doing with design and I couldn't argue with their consistent 10$ price point. Got last month's Believer at the same time and enjoyed the excerpt from A History of Kindness.

The day after that I bought The Origin of Species by... well, by Darwin, because I realized I've never read the whole thing.

Just today I came across a little bookstore that had a few copies of The Romantic Dogs, a book of Bolano's poetry, which is fantastic and, I'd argue, really constructive in getting a handle on his ouevre. They also had a gorgeous little bilingual Heinrich Heine collection-- maybe some other time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Eely posted:

Just started a number of works on contemplative prayer(these include The Cloud of Unknowing and Open Mind, Open Heart, and I just finished a related book by Merton), which is a Christian analogue of sorts (similar, but certainly not the same) to meditative techniques from various Eastern traditions (e.g., Vipassana).

Thomas Merton? I'm a huge fan of his poetry but never read his theological (I guess? Maybe his spiritual work is more apt?) stuff. Hm.

Anyway I just bought Take It, Joshua Beckman's newest collection of poems. I've been hearing a lot of good things about him lately, but it's on the backburner while I finish some Melville short stories, picked up on the basis of how cute the new Harper line of short stories by various masters is-- might go out and get the Tolstoy one sometime, as well.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Found a lot of nice stuff at a B&N clearance this weekend. The Years by Virginia Woolf, another copy of Kant and the Platypus by Umberto Eco (loved this when I read it but never had my own copy), a big gorgeous Eco-edited anthology, On Ugliness, and The Varieties of Religious Experience by Carl Sagan which looks pretty good and warmed my hackles in recollection of good old William James.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

37ArmsToBind posted:

Has some very interesting tales despite the whole "god" thing. Luckily it's not meant to be read that way.

What do you mean? Surely you don't seriously think that a book including a theistic presence in even a clearly fictional sense is a mark against it.

• Locked thread