Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Haystack posted:

Thread favorite Dungeon Crawler Carl

I'm now on book 5, I can't believe how fast I went from "oh this is cute and silly fun," to "Wait is this actually good?"

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I thought the Sapkowski Witcher series did this especially well. I think the narrator's name is Peter Kenny.

The October Daye books have a narrator, Mary Robinette, that does a huge amount of distinct voices , if you like urban fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Soonmot posted:

I'm now on book 5, I can't believe how fast I went from "oh this is cute and silly fun," to "Wait is this actually good?"

For me, the Hoarder was the tipping point where the book went from merely interesting to excellent. What an amazingly hosed up and poignant setpiece.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Soonmot posted:

I had this experience with Cradle a while back, and I’m currently watching a friend fall deep into the light novel / webnovel hole on that same progression. I’m reasonably certain what’s happening is our brains are just being terraformed by this stuff. Expose yourself to enough of something that’s just good enough to get past your filters, and you can start building up engagement with it.

Like, I would hesitate to call the Cradle series good books, but they’re fun and trivially easy to read, so you can ingest huge amounts of it, and at a certain point you’ve spent so much time with those characters that the fact that its prose is mediocre at best stops mattering.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm a comic book fan, I understand that type of thing lol.

With DCC, I actually think the books are Good. Not just familiar or comfortable. The way you learn about Carl's relationship with his ex, his father and mother, the trauma he's already been through, really works. Learning how to hold onto your humanity in a horrible situation, or with Donut, maturing into a caring person instead of a self centered child. Themes of found family or capitalism eating itself along side everything else, the bits of body horror sprinkled throughout. It's good.

Do we have a thread for DCC, I hate to keep derailing this one?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Soonmot posted:

I'm a comic book fan, I understand that type of thing lol.

With DCC, I actually think the books are Good. Not just familiar or comfortable. The way you learn about Carl's relationship with his ex, his father and mother, the trauma he's already been through, really works. Learning how to hold onto your humanity in a horrible situation, or with Donut, maturing into a caring person instead of a self centered child. Themes of found family or capitalism eating itself along side everything else, the bits of body horror sprinkled throughout. It's good.

Do we have a thread for DCC, I hate to keep derailing this one?

Looks like it gets discussed in the Web Serials thread, though I'm not sure how much.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Soonmot posted:

I'm a guy who basically doesn't cry, and DCC and Jeff Hayes have gotten me to choke up more than once. You're right - it's GOOD. The tough part is working up the guts to recommend it to other people, because it's LitRPG and it's called loving Dungeon Crawler Carl.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I will freely admit, I almost turned off DCC in the first hour because "Oh loving lord it's about some stupid Manly fuckhead with an Evil Slut Girlfriend getting magic powers and going to an isekai world" gave me hives, and if not for the excellent work of the reader there is no way I would have gotten far enough into it to actually like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol i felt the same way, especially with how Hayes voices Carl, double so because a few years ago I decided not to read any books about straight white guys by straight white guys, but also i'm not gonna NOT finish an audiobook, and there was enough cute stuff to keep me interested, especially once Donut transforms. Then, like Haystack posted above, by the time they got to the Horder scene, I was 100% on board this stupid ride.

So this was originally a web serial? That explains the recapping that seems to happen a lot.