Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Furry Neo posted:

For full-cast, back-and-forth dialogue work?

Yeah. It blew my mind too. I just wish I knew where I read/heard it. I also have some extra on a DVD which clearly shows one actor at a time. I'll look into it more, ugh it's going to bother me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
To be honest, I find more than one reader distracting.

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

I picked up More Information Than You Require based on the praises in this thread, it's wonderful. I'm only a couple hours into it but I love the chatter between John and Jon, and it's hilarious that Rudd has chimed in a couple times so far. I'm eager to hear the other folks which I'm sure will also be funny. I get a bit tired of hearing tables read, but all in all this is a great listen.

Pneumatic. Now let's have a look at this picture.

Insulation is Pink
Aug 20, 2009

..and I hate pink.
Just a HUGE warning to anyone who is interested in checking out further works of Brandon Sanderson via audiobook: DO NOT listen to Warbreaker on audiobook. James Yaegashi is by far the worst narrator I've ever heard. He makes every single character in this book seem like a childish figure and just turns the whole thing into a joke. It took me a few months to get his retarded rear end voices for the characters out of my head before I could finish the book again.

However, I've picked up the audio drama by Graphic Audio (it's abridged though) and it's loving amazing so far. Full cast of characters and I'd call it the best audio drama i've heard since I was a kid with HHGG and LOTR.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Edit: ^^^haha didn't even see this post till after I made mine.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

A while back I heard some sci fi on XM radio's book station that was accompanied by all kinds of synth music that really upped the atmosphere. Does anyone know where I can find stuff like this?

A little late on this but I think you are referring to the Graphic Audio audiobooks. They are abridged due to the fact that things like doors opening and people screaming are done in sound effects and recordings instead of the narrator reading those parts out.

I actually have been trying to decide if I want to purchase their version of The Night Angle series. Has anyone listened to this? is it any good?

I have the Deathstalker series from them and liked it at first but couldn't finish the series, that might be due to the story though.

Edit #2: I just got done Best Served Cold from audible and the narrative was great. I could have done without all the sex scenes but the story was still good. I think I ended up hating every character in the story except for shivers.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 24, 2010

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I downloaded Audible's unabridged, 44 hour long IT audiobook, and I'm digging it. The narrator does a great job with the different voices, and even changes accent and timber of his narration for different sections.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

Strange Matter posted:

I downloaded Audible's unabridged, 44 hour long IT audiobook, and I'm digging it. The narrator does a great job with the different voices, and even changes accent and timber of his narration for different sections.

See, this is a limitation of the medium for me. I wasn't comfortable reading it but having the gang bang scene read to me would be just horribly awkward unto icky.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

First I saw that Anthony Bourdain's new book, Medium Raw, is available on Audible as an audiobook now and was like :hellyeah: but then I saw that it just came out and you can't use credits to buy it. :smith:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The Flying Milton posted:

First I saw that Anthony Bourdain's new book, Medium Raw, is available on Audible as an audiobook now and was like :hellyeah: but then I saw that it just came out and you can't use credits to buy it. :smith:

Wha? I had no idea there was any books on there at all credits couldnt buy. :psyduck:

I did take the 2credit plunge into a game of thrones, and I kinda regret it, because there's like 3 or 4 more books and that's a lot of credits :smith:

Achromatic
Sep 13, 2009
I too enjoy audiobooks, as they're perfect both for transit and the gym instead of whatever bubblegum it is they've got playing on the radio.

What I generally listen to is The Economist newspaper's audio edition, though I often don't quite get through it during the week before the next one comes out.

It's read well and you can get it cheaper through their digital subscription rather than getting the paper version sent to you each week (even cheaper with student discounts I think).

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010

Aventine posted:

Seriously, what is up with his voice? I've watched documentaries with him where he makes perfectly reasonable and balanced statements but he still sounds smug.

I haven't heard it myself but I have heard very good things about the audio for Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way.

Good things is the understatement of the century. This book cracked me the hell up so my husband bought it to listen to because he's not a reader but at work (welder) he can listen to whatever I'm reading. This got me into the audiobooks. Holy poo poo Make Love is amazing. Just funny as hell.

Choke on the other hand. Holy poo poo Chuck reads it and does a really good job but god I never realized how depressing that book was (and it's one of my favorites) until I listened to it. Just wow. But it was still good.

miguel sanchez
Jul 1, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

Woofwoof posted:

My favorites would have to be the first 3 in the series of ASOIF, read by Roy Dotrice. My least favorite would have to be the 4th book, read by someone doing a bad impression of William Shatner.

Ugh.

I'm not much of a reader but I'm realy into audiobooks and Roy Dotrice pretty much made the series for me. Now I'm onto AFFC and the guy they got to replace him is a huge disappointment.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

miguel sanchez posted:

Ugh.

I'm not much of a reader but I'm realy into audiobooks and Roy Dotrice pretty much made the series for me. Now I'm onto AFFC and the guy they got to replace him is a huge disappointment.

Roy Dotrice is not that good of a reader IMO; he doesn't have a very big range of voices, which really hamstrings something like ASoIaF.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Roy Dotrice is not that good of a reader IMO; he doesn't have a very big range of voices, which really hamstrings something like ASoIaF.

He's got irish guy, gruff guy, kinda feminine like, hilarious wench, whiney bastard, and generic guy.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

The General posted:

Wha? I had no idea there was any books on there at all credits couldnt buy. :psyduck:

Oh man it works. I can use a credit. Maybe I should try going through the checkout process before opening my fat mouth.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I listened to the World War Z audio book on a drive up to Seattle and back from Portland. It was pretty much the perfect length haha!! Anyways, I really enjoyed it, though I was a little disappointed at some of the parts they edited out.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

JLightning posted:

I listened to the World War Z audio book on a drive up to Seattle and back from Portland. It was pretty much the perfect length haha!! Anyways, I really enjoyed it, though I was a little disappointed at some of the parts they edited out.

WWZ is good in idea, and maybe even writting, but I didn't like the voice acting at all.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Daemon is on sale for like $9 on Audible. You'd be a fool not to pick it up at that price.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm going on a road trip soon and my car-mates, who know that I have an Audible account, want something funny to while away the hours. My library has zero comedy in it, but I have two Audible credits to burn. Any suggestions?

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Kestral posted:

I'm going on a road trip soon and my car-mates, who know that I have an Audible account, want something funny to while away the hours. My library has zero comedy in it, but I have two Audible credits to burn. Any suggestions?

David Sedaris, The earlier the better (opinion, not the name of a book).

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kestral posted:

All creatures great and small is pretty hilarious.

Shadownerd
Aug 2, 2007
Fabricati Diem, Pvnc.
I downloaded The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart by Jesse Bullington without knowing what it was or even listening to the audio clip. I'm really glad I did, because it was great. To start with, it's over 14 hours long, so it lasted me three happy work days. (Length is one of my main criteria because I hate getting bored.)

And the story was fantastic. It was funny, disgusting and profane, all at the same time. Be warned, though, when I say it's disgusting, I really mean it. There were some really, really gross, stomach-turning scenes.

To top it all off, the narrator, Christopher Lane, was super entertaining. He did different voices and accents for all the characters, and they were all really well done. I can't recommend this book enough. If you don't have a credit available, pay the 15 dollars for it, because it's one of the best stories I've picked up in a long time.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ridonkulous posted:

David Sedaris, The earlier the better (opinion, not the name of a book).

Yeah, I've only listened to "When You Are Engulfed in Flames" and while it's funny in parts, it can be pretty tedious.

I dunno if they have stand-up routines on Audible, but those are great for long car rides.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh what a wonderful thread, so many good recommendations.

Slaughterhouse Five read by Ethan Hawke was mentioned earlier, it really is wonderful. But one I like even better is Stephen Fry's autobiography Moab Is My Washpot, obviously read by the author. It trancends the audiobook format in some ways, he reads his own experiences in his own words with his own emotions which makes it seem more like he's just telling you his story rather than reading a book.

He's also great at doing the voices of various characters. He has a knack for doing accents but when you know he's imitating a real person from his past it becomes something else indeed. That along with his humour, honesty, wit and all around excellentness makes this a no-misser. It's not on Audible.com but on Audible.co.uk, weirdly enough. (and iTunes, not so weirdly)

Speaking of Audible, I've been trying out the Audible beta app for Android. http://groups.google.com/group/audible-for-android-beta?pli=1

It's a buggy piece of poo poo at the moment, but there you go. It did at least manage to download my latest purchase (Sum: Tales from the afterlife) over WiFi, which is excellent. The app can't access the store, but Opera Mini can which means I can buy and listen on the road. Excellent! Hopefully the development is finished soon.

Ola fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 26, 2010

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ola posted:

But one I like even better is Stephen Fry's autobiography Moab Is My Washpot, obviously read by the author.
I would buy this if that was the entire title.

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.
Based on a recommendation here, I picked up Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! and started listening to it today.

I think it is the anecdotal style of writing that makes this a far better audiobook than a paper book. The reader has a good voice for storytelling and some passages (like the "Italian" poem, for instance) are much funnier when you can listen to an over-the-top dramatization of it as opposed to reading it for yourself.

God, that part left me breathless I was laughing so hard.

The Haggis Line
Apr 10, 2003

I'm most of the way through "The Lies of Locke Lamora" read by Michael Page, and I have to say I'm enjoying the crap out of it. The reader really has his voices down, and I'm enjoying the story as well. I usually just listen to books while I'm at work, but this one I've been listening to all the time at home, too.

I also recently listened to Lolita read by Jeremy Irons on a road trip, and I have to nth all the rave opinions I've heard about it here. My girlfriend and I listened to about 4 hours worth and then had to turn it off because of uncomfortable, but drat if it isn't fantastic.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Wheres the audible support for my android phone :( I thought it was already out :(

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Hey goons, I'm looking for some help.

I have a rear end load of audiobooks that I'd love to listen to, I ripped them from CD to MP3 and now...I can't find a piece of audio software that has bookmarking. Does the audible software support MP3s or do you have to buy everything through them to use it on their player? Anyone know a software player I can run on my PC that will save my spot?

And I'd love to see Apathy and Other Small Victories by Paul Neilan as an audiobook.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
In iTunes, you can set anything to "Remember Position." Audiobooks and podcasts do it automatically.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
If you want a super cheap but nice portable audio player that does auto-resume for multiple audio books at once, check out the Sansa Clip+.

Only like 40$ for the 4gb version, with an SD slot to pop in a cheap 16gb chip if you want. Mounts in Windows as a USB drive, just drag on audio books or w/e. Is super light, has a battery that lasts a long time, and is pretty much all around awesome for audio books.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

King Plum the Nth posted:

See, this is a limitation of the medium for me. I wasn't comfortable reading it but having the gang bang scene read to me would be just horribly awkward unto icky.
You weren't kidding.

Still, the format overall really worked well for the book, probably because King's style is well suited for being read outload, between his natural dialog and talent for assembling passages that relate a sense of speed and stress and terror. I'd recommend it.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

The General posted:

All creatures great and small is pretty hilarious.

Second this; I love those books so much. The TV series is truly wonderful as well and the best part is, if I'm not mistaken, there are versions of the audio books read by Christopher Timothy who played James Herriot (the author/main character) on the show. Now that's some audiobook :3:/:dance: right there.

Tricolor
Nov 10, 2009

jeeves posted:

Sansa Clip+.

I have it and it's amazing. It spazzes out determining chapters sometimes when I upload audiobooks.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Just dropping in to recommend Tom Whitworth's reading of Candide, an excellent playful reading that I feel is really true to the spirit of the book, check it out!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

What's the book about?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Android audible is here!! loving awesome. I love this phone and now I can get rid of the ipod touch

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Tricolor posted:

I have it and it's amazing. It spazzes out determining chapters sometimes when I upload audiobooks.

It doesn't like subfolders with track names like this: Folder 1 - Track 01.mp3, Folder 2 - Track 01.mp3. Instead of putting all of the folder 1 files first, it will mix the two.

Thankfully a lot of audiobooks are not like this, and if they are I just have an id3 tagger rename all files to just be sequential.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
A handy tagging tool for audiobooks on Windows is MP3 Book Helper, which has some nice features and can be used for other MP3 files. It hasn't been updated in a while, so I don't know if there are any issues with Win 7 or 64-bit OS, but worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I recently listened to Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis. It was really good and I literally have no interest in baseball or statistics. It's about how Oakland As, GM Billy Beane, rebuilt the team with a very unorthadox method.