Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Atlas Shrugged is a monstrous piece of poo poo.

Morgan Freeman couldn't get me to listen to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ZergFluid posted:

2nd and 3rd credits: "Foundation" and "Foundation and Empire" by Isaac Asimov read by Scott Brick. Classics from the 50s I read a dozen years ago. Still compelling.

Having already done the Foundation series, I went and got the Robot series off Audible, those are also very well done (but now appear to be out of print?).
And there is a BBC drama version of the Foundation trilogy on Spotify and other mp3 stores.

duz fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 7, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mastajake posted:

I'm listening to the Song of Ice and Fire audiobooks and really enjoying them. The narrator is really good at voices.
Unfortunately in the later books he seems to have forgotten what the voices he had used previously sounded like - I presume since it took so long between books..

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Unfortunately in the later books he seems to have forgotten what the voices he had used previously sounded like - I presume since it took so long between books..

He's 90 years old too and suffered some health problems that also caused him to have to withdraw from playing Maester Pycelle on the TV show.

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
I just finished One Summer by Bill Bryson, great book and he's a pretty decent narrator. To continue with that era, has anyone listened to Bully Pulpit?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

rypakal posted:

Except Atlas Shrugged. Sorry Scott
Hahahaha that would probably be the smuggest 40 hours of audio in the history of mankind's AV experience.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
I still can't get over the third or so audibook I ever listened to, some seven years ago. An unabridged performance of Dickens' "Great Expectations." It helped that I wasn't familiar with the story and that, as John Irving points in an introduction to an edition of that book, Dickens is particularly well-suited to being read out-loud (as are in general stories told in the first-person, as "Great Expectations" is.)

Unfortunately I can't remember who the performer was, but I'm 85% certain it was this one:

http://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/Great-Expectations-Audiobook/B002V57X02/ref=a_search_c4_1_2_srTtl?qid=1397006504&sr=1-2

Time Trial posted:

I just finished One Summer by Bill Bryson, great book and he's a pretty decent narrator.

Gotta check that out -- I found A Short History of Nearly Everything particularly enjoyable to listen to.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW

duz posted:

Having already done the Foundation series, I went and got the Robot series off Audible, those are also very well done (but now appear to be out of print?).
And there is a BBC drama version of the Foundation trilogy on Spotify and other mp3 stores.

Whoa -- that's weird. Asimov pretty much had his own shelf at the Borders I used to go to and that included the entirety of his major sci-novels.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

rypakal posted:

Scott Brick is an instant buy for me on any audiobook.
I bought a book on the freakin' history of salt just because Scott Brick narrated it. It actually wasn't too bad :3:

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

I bought a book on the freakin' history of salt just because Scott Brick narrated it. It actually wasn't too bad :3:

Was hilarious at work when people asked what I was listening to. And may I add who knew salt could be so interesting, now I got to listen to it again.

Robotnik
Dec 3, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Just started listening to the Deathstalker series by Simon R. Green and produced by Graphic Audio. It's a shlocky space opera and Green isn't the best writer, but I'll be damned if the great production values from Graphic Audio don't make somewhat dull books into great experiences.

I'll actually be a huge shill for all of their stuff. They've done some of Sanderson's books (Elantris, Warbreaker, some Mistborn) and Peter V. Brett and Brent Weeks' stuff and they were excellent. They probably don't get talked about much because they're not available through Audible but their books are almost all superior to the single-narrator alternatives.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
Just finished the 48 hour epic that is the Audio version of "The Stormlight Archive: Words of Radiance" and it was excellent. Great narration by both the readers and a very good book. Well worth the 1 credit on Audible.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

deathmerc posted:

Just finished the 48 hour epic that is the Audio version of "The Stormlight Archive: Words of Radiance" and it was excellent. Great narration by both the readers and a very good book. Well worth the 1 credit on Audible.

Thanks for the tip, downloading now.! It was rated around 4.7, looks well worth a credit.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm listening to the prequel right now. The same narrators did the entire wheel of time saga for reference.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Heh, I'm a little more than halfway through it, listened to the first book before it. They are fantastic and the readers excellent.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

ZergFluid posted:

Gotta check that out -- I found A Short History of Nearly Everything particularly enjoyable to listen to.

I really like Made in America by Bill Bryson as well. It's just so jam packed with random facts that I've mostly forgotten now but every once in awhile something will pop into my head (normally a phrase as I use it).

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Been listening to the Dune series, Scott Brick is in the first ones but they are a little disjointed with the narration of "enhanced chapters" and with characters changing readers. By book 3 its all Simon Vance though and it's one hell of a story. Looking forward to book 4 which I hear is the best of the whole series.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Listening to The Martian narrated by RC Bray. Not only is it a gripping, intense book (with plenty of geeky stuff to chew on and some great comic relief) but the performance is really outstanding. He can do pretty much any accent and nails the snarky, glib protagonist perfectly. An awesome audiobook.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Looking forward to book 4 which I hear is the best of the whole series.
People actually think this?

Make no mistake, the 4th book is very good and is probably the second best, but I thought it was generally held that they all pale in comparison to the first.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has been mentioned but I recently listened to the audiobook of A Clockwork Orange on YouTube and it is superb. I had my doubts about the likely quality of an audio version given the unique language of the book but this narrator absolutely slays it. If there's the equivalent of an Oscar for audiobooks, this guy deserves it.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m1f2pT0ksw

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

I just started listening to The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, narrated by Bryan Cranston.

Holy poo poo he's a great narrator

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
^Required reading back in high school. Good stuff.

I finished listening to "11/22/63." King's take on the concept of time travel is unique, and perhaps the best part of the book.

Currently listening to a recently released non-fiction book: The Age of Radiance: The Epic Rise and Dramatic Fall of the Atomic Era.

I also have a credit available and I'm considering spending it on Hilary Mantel's first entry in the Wolf Hall series (about the rise of Thomas Cromwell.) Is it any good?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

ZergFluid posted:

I also have a credit available and I'm considering spending it on Hilary Mantel's first entry in the Wolf Hall series (about the rise of Thomas Cromwell.) Is it any good?

I read it and liked it a lot, thought it was well written and interesting. It might be a bit hard to follow as an audiobook at first because it's written from Cromwell's perspective in a stream-of-consciousness type style.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Thanks for the tip, downloading now.! It was rated around 4.7, looks well worth a credit.
I really enjoyed this series on audio as well, although I had to back up and relisten a lot (and I also missed out on the sweet sketchbook art referred to when the one girl is drawing flora and fauna, in the print/ebook formats).

Rapacity posted:

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has been mentioned but I recently listened to the audiobook of A Clockwork Orange on YouTube and it is superb. I had my doubts about the likely quality of an audio version given the unique language of the book but this narrator absolutely slays it. If there's the equivalent of an Oscar for audiobooks, this guy deserves it.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m1f2pT0ksw
Rather than declaring him in need of an award, would it be possible to purchase a copy instead of streaming it off of a sketchy-looking youtube channel?

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW

savinhill posted:

I read it and liked it a lot, thought it was well written and interesting. It might be a bit hard to follow as an audiobook at first because it's written from Cromwell's perspective in a stream-of-consciousness type style.

Thanks. I'll save it for later.

I think I'll spend this month's credit on David Copperfield.

Can't decide between Simon Vance and Martin Jarvis.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I'm working may way through The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foot narrated by Grover Gardner. If you have any history interest at all it's pretty amazing, so much detail and so well told that really comes to life. Tom Hanks and Ken Burns teamed up to make this release happen.

http://www.audible.com/series/ref=a_lib_c3D__vsml_1_13?asin=B006K1RB2S

Millard Fillmore
Jan 31, 2009

Foreign policy...in drag?
Things just got much more interesting in this administration.
For those House of Cards fans out there, Michael Kelly (aka the glorious Doug Stamper) reads Stephen King's Joyland and it's a great one all around.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I'm currently listening to The Lies of Locke Lamorra by Scott Lynch and I'm finding it incredibly enjoyable. I have a longish commute 2 days a week and look forward to it so I can carry on listening. The novel had been described elsewhere on this site as Ocean's Eleven in an alternate medieval/renaissance(?) Venice with some magic added in. He doesn't go overboard with female characters which I find really jarring at times when it's obviously just a guy doing a high pitched voice. He has distinct voices for the various characters in the book and you don't have much difficulty distinguishing between them as he narrates. I've
heard the sequel isn't quite as promising as the first but I'm more than willing to give it a go based on this.

Prior to this was Infected narrated by the author Scott Sigler. It follows the plight of an ex college footballer cut down in his prime due to a knee injury who is one of the first to be infected by this virus which turns people into homicidal maniacs. He also has daddy issues. There is a CIA guy whose partner is killed by one of the infected and now bears a grudge against any infected person and a doctor for the CDC who is tasked with finding out what's causing the infections along with her whacky sidekick. The book was alright but I got bored in places as it seemed to just repeat the same scenes over and over. He is an enthusiastic narrator but terrible with female characters (as a counterpoint to the above). As background this story was originally self published on the web as a serialized podcast then later picked up by Crown Publishing. There are spots where the editor could make some major cuts and not impact the story in any way. The good news is that is enjoyable schlock and I'll be getting the next one in the series once I'm ready for more.

Also to the person who was after some shory light horror weird comedy sort of stuff A Lee Martinez is great for that. Gil's All Fright Diner and Emperor Mollusc versus The Sinister Brain are silly fun with good narrators. I picked Gil's up from a book fair based on the title and was pleasantly surprised by how fun it was.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

fliptophead posted:

Prior to this was Infected narrated by the author Scott Sigler. It follows the plight of an ex college footballer cut down in his prime due to a knee injury who is one of the first to be infected by this virus which turns people into homicidal maniacs. He also has daddy issues. There is a CIA guy whose partner is killed by one of the infected and now bears a grudge against any infected person and a doctor for the CDC who is tasked with finding out what's causing the infections along with her whacky sidekick. The book was alright but I got bored in places as it seemed to just repeat the same scenes over and over. He is an enthusiastic narrator but terrible with female characters (as a counterpoint to the above). As background this story was originally self published on the web as a serialized podcast then later picked up by Crown Publishing. There are spots where the editor could make some major cuts and not impact the story in any way. The good news is that is enjoyable schlock and I'll be getting the next one in the series once I'm ready for more.
I used to regularly listen to Sigler as he released new stuff, Infected was too "body-horror trigger" for me to stay with. I listened to several other novels of his which he also narrated and had a good time. I'm an especially big fan of his galactic football league series beginning with The Rookie. And I don't even like football! :D

The fun thing about listening to Sigler is that he really hams it up a lot and is obviously enjoying himself a ton.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I used to regularly listen to Sigler as he released new stuff, Infected was too "body-horror trigger" for me to stay with. I listened to several other novels of his which he also narrated and had a good time. I'm an especially big fan of his galactic football league series beginning with The Rookie. And I don't even like football! :D

The fun thing about listening to Sigler is that he really hams it up a lot and is obviously enjoying himself a ton.

Hehe I agree completely - he does ham it up really well and his enthusiasm shows. It was definitely entertaining.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

savinhill posted:

He's 90 years old too and suffered some health problems that also caused him to have to withdraw from playing Maester Pycelle on the TV show.

True, but he was still able to do the voices in the fifth book - he just assigned them to different characters. You'd think that the producers would have caught that during production, it is a weird error to have made it through the process.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
SciFi sale at Audible till may 10th http://www.audible.com/mt/SuperSciFi_ALL

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kraps posted:

SciFi sale at Audible till may 10th http://www.audible.com/mt/SuperSciFi_ALL

Picked up a couple books I wanted, thanks. I wish there was a way to permanently filter out "lovely vampire Twilight love books for dumbasses" on Audible.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Syrinxx posted:

Picked up a couple books I wanted, thanks. I wish there was a way to permanently filter out "lovely vampire Twilight love books for dumbasses" on Audible.

Never go to your local library's ecollection website. 95% of the books are in that genre. But hey free audiobooks and ebooks!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Syrinxx posted:

And zombies.

Fenrra
Oct 13, 2010
The Dreaming Void is a pretty good pickup in that sale. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Has a nice mix of science fiction & fantasy.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
So, I just finished an audiobook on Audible, and then discovered you can return books you don't like. The thing is, yes, I literally cringed at times while listening, and not in a good way, but then, it managed to provide the necessary background for my work (despite breaking the flow several times with those cringeworthy moments). And it's also kind of in my head now. I'm wondering how ethical it would be to return it now. :downs:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

supermikhail posted:

I'm wondering how ethical it would be to return it now. :downs:

They can afford it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It depends on your own moral compass I suppose.

But you only get so many freebies before they stop offering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

It depends on your own moral compass I suppose.

But you only get so many freebies before they stop offering.

Elaborate, please.

It's not that I want a freebie, it's that I would have have given it back earlier if I'd seen the link. I guess it'll be a lesson for me anyway. Unless there really is a catch in this return business.