Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Just thinking outloud here.
I was curious and wanted to see if there was a humble bundle for audiobooks and I saw one from over a year ago but it looks like it's something they don't do often unfortunately. :mad:
Is there anything else like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Kampfy Von Wafflehaus posted:

Just thinking outloud here.
I was curious and wanted to see if there was a humble bundle for audiobooks and I saw one from over a year ago but it looks like it's something they don't do often unfortunately. :mad:
Is there anything else like that?

They did one last month. :doh:

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
I cherish my Audible.com membership as much, if not more than as, my subscription to spotify/netflix put together.

My next ticket is probably going towards this:

http://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/Dracula-Audible-Edition-Audiobook/B0078PA1OA/ref=a_wl_c1_1_1_i

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Frank Muller forever. His reading of Moby Dick was so vivacious and dynamic it kept me glued the whole time.

I just searched on the recommendation and it's on sale for a little over a dollar so I grabbed it. Thanks!

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
I really like audio books, but have a hard time finding ones with enough volume. I work near loud rear end machines all day. Is there an easy to tell if the base volume of one recording is higher?

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Get better headphones/earphones. I use these: http://www.shure.co.uk/products/earphones/se215

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, in-ear buds are the way to go.

Using these at the bakery every day: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Adidas-Sports-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0094R2HZQ

They (probably) won't block as much noise, as they're made for outdoor use and you want to know if traffic is coming.
And they likely won't sound as good either, but they're damned near invincible. I've caught them on everything, and no breakage.

The control toggle doesn't work very well with Android though. :-\

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 20, 2015

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Anyone have recommendations for over the ear headphones that aren't bulky or large?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Kraps posted:

Anyone have recommendations for over the ear headphones that aren't bulky or large?

These are not only inexpensive and incredibly ugly, they are also some of the best sounding headphones on the market. You can hardly notice that you're wearing them.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro...s=koss+portapro

Don't take my word for it..

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

December Octopodes posted:

I really like audio books, but have a hard time finding ones with enough volume. I work near loud rear end machines all day. Is there an easy to tell if the base volume of one recording is higher?

There are plenty of good buds. I'm currently using these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EM8008/ref=psdc_172541_t1_B00B8QCMHY

They are inexpensive and amazingly good quality. You don't need $200 Bose or Sennheiser buds to listen to audiobooks. The main driver of volume is audio quality and the output of whatever device (probably a smartphone) that you're using.

Unfortunately, if you're using Audible, there is no sound booster. But if you're checking out audiobooks from your library, Overdrive has an excellent built in sound boost setting.

Failing either of those, perhaps an app like this will help.

Whatever kind of earbuds you get though, get some Comply Tips to go with it. It's like marine foam for your ears.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kraps posted:

Sony MDR-V6 - The industry standard in radio and recording since the 80s.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'd kill for some sports/working-friendly rechargeable earbuds, I hate getting my headphone cable caught on something when i'm splitting wood or cleaning gutters or hiking around the woods hunting mushrooms or putting bags of groceries into the car.. It inevitably ends with my phone clattering to the ground, and often ends with damage to my earbuds or cables. :(

I buy a lot of the sub-:10bux: skull candy ones with the 1.2 meter cable, because I break tehm constantly, and also I'm tall and I can't fit my phone into my jeans hip pocket and then also reach my ears, with 1.0 meter length cables.. Also why I'd like some cordless rechargeable ones.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 20, 2015

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

coyo7e posted:

I'd kill for some sports/working-friendly rechargeable earbuds, I hate getting my headphone cable caught on something when i'm splitting wood or cleaning gutters or hiking around the woods hunting mushrooms or putting bags of groceries into the car.. It inevitably ends with my phone clattering to the ground, and often ends with damage to my earbuds or cables. :(

I buy a lot of the sub-:10bux: skull candy ones with the 1.2 meter cable, because I break tehm constantly, and also I'm tall and I can't fit my phone into my jeans hip pocket and then also reach my ears, with 1.0 meter length cables.. Also why I'd like some cordless rechargeable ones.

I love this little thing: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/accessories/stereo-bluetooth-headset-sbh20/

It clips on to your shirt nicely and doesn't get in the way while working out. Since it's a standalone thing you can use whatever headphones you want with it and since it doesn't dangle from your ears it has way better battery than your average wireless stuff lasting like 7-8 hours of constant listening.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

God loving drat it, I'd pay good money for one with a battery with at least a 10+ hour streaming life.

coyo7e posted:

Have you tried running the cord under your shirt? As long as you aren't constantly pulling your phone out, it shouldn't be a big deal.
Not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, I just want to make sure we've covered all options.
Otherwise, look for kevlar or poly/para-aramid coated wires or bluetooth headphones, which run pretty cheap on Amazon. Starting from $10, to $60 :krad: OPERATOR poo poo.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Locke & Key by Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodriguez is being given away for free on audible until 4/11/2015. I'm not entirely sure if it remains in you library after that date but I guess if you pick it up now you can complete it by then.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/FREE-Locke-Key-Audiobook/B00YI1CTVU/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1445814384&sr=1-1

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bioalchemist posted:

Locke & Key by Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodriguez is being given away for free on audible until 4/11/2015. I'm not entirely sure if it remains in you library after that date but I guess if you pick it up now you can complete it by then.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/FREE-Locke-Key-Audiobook/B00YI1CTVU/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1445814384&sr=1-1

And somehow despite being a member who just quit (and had used one in the past), I qualified for a free trial through it. Awesome!

Thanks!

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I just finished Poirot and Me by David Suchet and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Its Suchet talking through the 25 years that he played Poirot, along with some of his side projects during the years without Poirot. He goes into different voices for different accents, and while its mostly fine, his American accent grated the poo poo out of me. Too much of a strong "New England" nasal voice (Stephen Fry's American voice is the same style)

But there are lots of fun anecdotes about him going through the process of "Doing Dame Christie's character justice" and him becoming a "star character actor"

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

oldman posted:

I just finished Poirot and Me by David Suchet and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Its Suchet talking through the 25 years that he played Poirot, along with some of his side projects during the years without Poirot. He goes into different voices for different accents, and while its mostly fine, his American accent grated the poo poo out of me. Too much of a strong "New England" nasal voice (Stephen Fry's American voice is the same style)

But there are lots of fun anecdotes about him going through the process of "Doing Dame Christie's character justice" and him becoming a "star character actor"

I love David Suchet's Poirot, I'll have to check that out.

On the headphone topic: earbuds underneath noise cancelling earmuffs (which your workplace should probably provide) could work.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mister Macys posted:

Have you tried running the cord under your shirt? As long as you aren't constantly pulling your phone out, it shouldn't be a big deal.
Yeah, it still causes tons of problems because whenever I lean/etc, the phone in my hip pocket gets disconnected from the cable. I've got 5-7 years of only-bicycle-commuting experience and I just want a damned water proof solution, and no-cables seems the only way. :( I've had a few ipods and phones and other devices eat poo poo from moisture so I am looking for a way to keep them literally in a ziploc and operate them through the bag or the on-headphone attachments.

I do a lot of outdoors stuff (and I live in OR where it just rains half the year) as well, so the more time I can leave my phone in a ziploc and figure out some way to not ever open that bag, is a big deal. :\

It's nearly impossible to split wood for 6 hours without your earbud cables getting obnoxious, even layering them against your skin or between layers or down one arm, it all gets tangled eventually.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 26, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I bought a pair of LG Tone about a month ago and they work well. I use them to work out mostly. They tend to go on sale for about $40.

Kraps posted:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

This is a good start but not an end all/be all list. Depends on how much you're willing to spend.

December Octopodes posted:

Better headphones will help. See the above guide. A pocket headphone amplifier might also help too. I would suggest a Fiio E6:

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E6-Porta...eywords=fiio+e6

Just make sure you're buying from an authorized Fiio retailer. There's lots of fakes going around.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

mariooncrack posted:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

This is a good start but not an end all/be all list. Depends on how much you're willing to spend.

Awesome, thanks.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

coyo7e posted:

Yeah, it still causes tons of problems because whenever I lean/etc, the phone in my hip pocket gets disconnected from the cable. I've got 5-7 years of only-bicycle-commuting experience and I just want a damned water proof solution, and no-cables seems the only way. :( I've had a few ipods and phones and other devices eat poo poo from moisture so I am looking for a way to keep them literally in a ziploc and operate them through the bag or the on-headphone attachments.

I do a lot of outdoors stuff (and I live in OR where it just rains half the year) as well, so the more time I can leave my phone in a ziploc and figure out some way to not ever open that bag, is a big deal. :\

It's nearly impossible to split wood for 6 hours without your earbud cables getting obnoxious, even layering them against your skin or between layers or down one arm, it all gets tangled eventually.

I had a pair of the bluetooth LG Tones that go around your neck and the U-shaped portion moves around quite a bit while I'm physically active, banging against my collarbones or sometimes even twisting their way around to the other side of my neck and then fall off. They work ok for activities where my upper body is relatively stationary, but not so much for sprints back and forth (twist around) and jump rope (collarbone).

I traded for a pair of bluetooth earbuds and I'm much happier, and the battery life even lasts me 8-10 hrs, a tad longer even than advertised. They stay in my ears just as well, and get in the way a lot less.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I happened to click on the BK Sport ones and they were $9.99 on amazon the day I clicked. Haven't gotten the cables straightened out yet but they seem p all right for the investment. I'll have to see what happens after a couple hours in the weather.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

So, I found out something interesting today.

If your library uses Overdrive (or perhaps other systems) to lend eBooks, and if that eBook is delivered via Amazon, and IF that book is Whispersync enabled....you can buy the Audible book for the discounted Whispersync price.

Example: I checked out A Brief History of Seven Killings ebook from my library (Kindle format), and I just purchased the audiobook from Audible for the reduced WS price of $4.49 (a savings of 1 fuckload). I'm sure that at some point they will find and close this loophole, so enjoy it while you can.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
^^^^How is that book's narration anyway? I read the ebook(it's fuckin awesome), but I'm just curious what it's like trying to follow the Jamaican patois stream-of-conciousness style alot of it's written in in audio format

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

savinhill posted:

^^^^How is that book's narration anyway? I read the ebook(it's fuckin awesome), but I'm just curious what it's like trying to follow the Jamaican patois stream-of-conciousness style alot of it's written in in audio format

7/10. Some of the accents seem forced and unpracticed, but it's not the worst thing that I've ever heard.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but The Dresden Files book "Ghost Story" was re-recorded with James Marsters and released earlier this year, for anyone who disliked the original replacement narrator.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Has John Dies at the End been taken off Audible? Or am I just getting screwed by region-locking?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Krazyface posted:

Has John Dies at the End been taken off Audible? Or am I just getting screwed by region-locking?

It's region-locked for some reason. It seems to be available for US customers, but not EU/UK.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
That's odd. The sequel and his sci-fi book are both still up there.

Maybe it's connected with the movie rights or something?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

No one's noticed that the Harry Potter series is finally up on audible?

It's the US version here in Australia, but the Fry version might be in the uk maybe?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

tithin posted:

No one's noticed that the Harry Potter series is finally up on audible?

It's the US version here in Australia, but the Fry version might be in the uk maybe?

This sample sounds like it was recorded in someone's garage.

Izz
May 1, 2006

tithin posted:

the Fry version might be in the uk maybe?

Yes, Audible UK has Stephen Fry's narration.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I've got another credit on Audible, and I need some suggestions. I'm looking for scifi/fantasy (leaning towards scifi I think). A friend suggested the Merkiaari Wars, as you can get the trilogy for 1 credit. Otherwise the site keeps telling me to read Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher. Any good ones out there I should look into?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

The Three Body Problem

Aurora

Or if you want mega value from a Fantasy novel, try The Mists of Avalon

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Kingtheninja posted:

So I've got another credit on Audible, and I need some suggestions. I'm looking for scifi/fantasy (leaning towards scifi I think). A friend suggested the Merkiaari Wars, as you can get the trilogy for 1 credit. Otherwise the site keeps telling me to read Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher. Any good ones out there I should look into?

Maybe listen to Leviathan Wakes before the Expanse TV series starts? It's good. Also The Martian is really good as an audiobook. On the fantasy side I'd recommend Heroes Die which is the first Act's of Caine novel. It's awesome as an audiobook and has a satisfying ending so you don't need to stuff credits to the rest of the books if you don't feel like it.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

XBenedict posted:

The Three Body Problem

Aurora

Or if you want mega value from a Fantasy novel, try The Mists of Avalon

This man enjoys good sci fi right here. The Three Body Problem and Aurora are loving fantastic. I'm going to have to check out The Mists of Avalon.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I recently got The Cycle of Arawn on audible and got 4/5 through it (I think I fell asleep without a sleep timer on my app and finished the book overnight, but got distracted and haven't gone back to it yet) and enjoyed it pretty well, although the protagonist may not be the most empathetic character you can find, he was kind of novel in that he pretty much goes out and teaches himself everything he needs to learn about magic as he goes. You do get the whole trilogy for 1 credit though.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Thanks for all the info, everyone. I started the Merkiaari but I'm not really feeling it. Three Body and Leviathan Wakes sound great though, I'll add them to my library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kingtheninja posted:

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I started the Merkiaari but I'm not really feeling it. Three Body and Leviathan Wakes sound great though, I'll add them to my library.
Keep in mind that audible is really good about returns. Don't be like me and keep Monster Hunter International just because you finished it.