Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Lord Jigger posted:

I listened to the first 7 Wheel of Time books a few years back one summer when I had a job mowing acres of grass. Made the time go quicker, and the books were read by people with great voices. Although after a certain point I could only hear about braid tugging so much before I stopped listening to them.

It was Michael Kramer. I liked him so much I am buying up other audio books he did. I just finish book 1 & 2 of Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and Michael does a really good job on those also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Has anyone listened to the audiobooks created by graphicaudio.net ? They don't just have different voice actors for each character but they also do sound effects for things like doors closing and stuff like that. I have been wanting to get one since they have both Elantris and Warbreaker from Brandon Sanderson but I haven't heard anything about their products and I don't think Audible.com carries their products.

I am also starting the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher since I like his Dresden Files series so much. I just started but it seems to be just as good as the Dresden Files, a lot diferent but just as good of a read/listen.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 18, 2010

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Edit: ^^^haha didn't even see this post till after I made mine.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

A while back I heard some sci fi on XM radio's book station that was accompanied by all kinds of synth music that really upped the atmosphere. Does anyone know where I can find stuff like this?

A little late on this but I think you are referring to the Graphic Audio audiobooks. They are abridged due to the fact that things like doors opening and people screaming are done in sound effects and recordings instead of the narrator reading those parts out.

I actually have been trying to decide if I want to purchase their version of The Night Angle series. Has anyone listened to this? is it any good?

I have the Deathstalker series from them and liked it at first but couldn't finish the series, that might be due to the story though.

Edit #2: I just got done Best Served Cold from audible and the narrative was great. I could have done without all the sex scenes but the story was still good. I think I ended up hating every character in the story except for shivers.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 24, 2010

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

strategery posted:

Okay, that makes more sense. From the website, I get:

So is the price as I see it now ($7.49) discounted already, or is it 30% off something else? Just trying to understand pricing here before I take a plunge.

The example they provide there is confusing because the special price is different then the membership price. For example now that the special is over when I pull that book up it lists the regular price of $31.93 but also lists my member price $22.35.

The discounts are not the big advantage to having an audible account its the credits you get every month. I get two per pay period and almost every book cost 1 credit. The new Wheel of Time book that came out only cost me 1 credit and the book is currently listed as $44.75 and that's with my member discount. That's 40 hours of audio book for 7 bucks.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I picked it up but have been listening to the Night Watch series first.

Hows the audibooks for this series? I plan to get it when I get my next two credits from Audible.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Who reads them?

Yea that's what I'm more worried about a lot of books don't transfer over to audiobook well due to a bad narrator.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

SageSepth posted:

Haha. dude that was totally how I pictured Carmicheal, I'm holding off in the hopes that maybe it'll get rerecorded with Marsters later, but sans that I'll wait for Cold Days to see where things stand. If he goes with Glover again I might have to just bite the bullet and get used to it.

After the ratings and comments that were left on sites like audible.com it would be a really stupid business decision to switch to Glover for all upcoming books. From what I read the only reason they did it for this book was the delay conflicted with Marsters' schedule.

I hope they re-record with Marsters, I doubt they will but I couldn't even get through that preview chapter and till now I have purchased every book in audio form.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Audible.com has really good customer service. A few times I was double charged for books and when I called they refunded both charges and left me with the book.

That being said I'd be surprised if they did since they released the first chapter for free so people could get an idea if they actually wanted to purchase it and they also always have that 2 minute preview.

It kinda sucks because he's not a bad voice actor he just either didn't have time to research the characters or didn't care too and the production team never corrected him. The Carmichael example people gave is a good one, if you just read the character's lines you could come to the conclusion that he might be a hick. If he actually read any of the previous books that Carmichael was in he would of known it was a Chicago accent but then again the book takes place in Chicago and when he meets the character its in ghost Chicago so it should have been clear.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Anyone have any suggestions on another book read by Steven Pacey. He did an amazing job on the First Law Series and for some reason they switched to Michael Page for Best Served Cold and The Heroes and it just wasn't the same. Not that Michael Page is bad he just wasn't as good as Steven Pacey.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I don't know if this would work or what laws you would be breaking to do it but can't you use a VPN to make it seem like you are in America so you can make those purchases.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
"Perhaps more interesting to our readers, however, is the announcement that Playtone will be behind the previously announced adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s American Gods for HBO, and that with the production company’s involvement, they’re doing it up appropriately huge. Playtone is now prepared to produce at least six seasons of the show, with a budget of nearly $40 million per season, all to make room for the effects-heavy renditions of gods both ancient and contemporary—more effects than have been used on a television series before, according to Hanks’ production partner Gary Goetzman."

http://www.avclub.com/articles/toda...vclub_rss_daily

drat I can't wait for that.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I had the same issue at first, even while driving I found my self to distracted to fully pay attention to the story. At first I just listened while not doing anything at home. After a few books I was more used to taking in the story via audio and could listen to new books while replying to emails at work and even while playing games like first person shooters.

Has anyone listened to Confessions of a D-List Super villain by Jim Bernheimer yet? It had a few good reviews on Audible and I don't see many super hero books around and really liked the last one I tried Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines. Though that book was more of a zombie story with super heroes.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Audible is having a 48 hour sale, it will end at noon on the 19th.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
When the Wheel of Time books are first released they are but it looks like the last book is already 1 credit.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Has anyone listened to The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern? It keeps popping up on audible and I might pick it up with this round of credits.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
You guys are right it was The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson I was thinking of, it's still listed as 2 credits.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I've listened to the entire Wheel of Time series in audio format but I have stopped listening to much shorter stories and just picked the book up to finish the story. It's really dependant upon the narrator, If they annoy you then you will not be able to listen to them for 30+ hours.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

leftover posted:

Scott Sigler was already mentioned in this thread, and I'm almost done with all of his audio stuff... so I was hoping someone has any good recommendations for some other horror novels in audiobook format.

I'm usually not into the horror genre, but I found them to be pretty entertaining to listen to, especially when I make disgusted faces around work or at home to other's amusement. I really liked Scott's over the top blood, gore, and all around horrific scenes.

Anything zombie-ish would be great too, though I've already read Feed by Mira Grant, Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry, and World War Z by Max Brooks.

edit: Forgot to mention I already plan on reading th rest of Mira Grant's newflesh trilogy.

Not sure why I loved this book so much but Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines is a book about a world with superheroes that gets overrun with zombies.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
This is my first pre-order through audible, at what time does it normally switch from pre-order to available? I also pre-ordered the new Iron Druid book as well.
Edit: Just checked the pre-order page and there is a count down, 9 hours left so about 2am EST.

Also I noticed that audible has a return option for books you have purchased in the last 12 months. I ordered a book while drunk and the next day really wished I hadn't wasted the credit. I used this return option and they gave me the credit back while only asking why I disliked the book. This was all automated as well and I got my credit back instantly. Audible is always amazing me with their customer service.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 26, 2012

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I've heard people have issues in the UK and Australia but that was due to specific books not being available in their region due to licensing issues.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Yea Ex-Patriots is not as good as Ex-Heroes but I wasn't upset about the purchase. 14 is a really good book, loved it a lot. Its not a Zombie series like you originally were looking for but its a book I think anyone who likes fiction should try.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Audible has been releasing the Mazalan Book of the Fallen series and the voice actor(Ralph Lister) has been doing a really great job. Only 3 books from the mains series and 1 from the prequel trilogy have been released so far though. Also the prequel trilogy has a different voice actor that just doesn't compare.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Bhodi posted:

He reads the US version, but is SERIOUSLY outclassed by Steven Pacey who does the UK versions. Pacey is a far, far better narrator for Abercrombie.

This is sadly so true, I love Page and have purchased audiobooks solely because he was the narrator but Steven Pacey is hands down the better choice when picking between the two.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
How are those? I tried one of Graphic Audio's audiobooks but it wasn't that great. That was like 5 years ago and the book itself wasn't good to begin with so that might have been the cause.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

nessin posted:

They can get a bit too over the top with the action scenes, especially when they add in music to them, but they're usually not too bad. The main problem is the lovely books, but I'll listen to a lot of GA's books when I wouldn't read them to save my life because the production value and cast make them pop (to me at least). Fortunately most of their decent to good stuff is in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section, so I'm usually pretty happy, but stay the hell away from their Western/Action/Post-Apoc stuff.

Can you recommend any in those two genres? I wanted to try some GA books again. I originally tried the Deathstalker series and never could finish it.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

xcore posted:

This, but I would also like to ask; Why are audiobooks so goddamn expensive? Something about membership rubs me the wrong way (I would really like to keep the stuff I read/listen to). $35 bucks for a book just seems massively steep. Surely the costs involved in a audiobook are less than a printed paperback but paperbacks are more than half the price.

Well with audio books they have to pay a voice actor to do the work, then there is production, editing and all of that. On the plus side with audible you keep the books you purchase with your membership. The membership not only gives you a discount for books you buy with cash but you also get 2 credits per month. Those credits can then be used to purchase books.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

SageSepth posted:

Looking for something along the lines of Codex Alera or The Black Company, doesn't need to be a series, though it's preferable. But I would like it to be longer then 10 hours if possible. I like listening to large unit actions and like intrigue and drama as well, but really want something either Fantasy or Future that's got large troop movements and tactics and the such. Can anyone recommend something along these lines?

I'm going through The Red Knight by Miles Cameron right now, it's fantasy with big battles and nice action scenes. Large groups of solders on the march with lots of discussion of battle tactics so it seems to match what you are looking for. It's the first of a trilogy but sadly is the only book published so far, It is just over 30 hours though so there is that.

Here is a link to the Audible page for the book: http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B00B02ZRSM&qid=1376455546&sr=1-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

supermikhail posted:

I decided to try searching for audiobooks through Amazon for a change, and I thought I stumbled upon something interesting. My first find was http://www.amazon.com/Divorcing-Narcissist-One-Moms-Battle/dp/B00NJ0OMUC/ref=sr_1_14 Now I've listened to the excerpt, and I have a question - what drugs do you have to take to narrate like that? Also, does anybody else feel like that or is there something wrong with me?

I might be mistaken but isn't audible owned by amazon? Does amazon have audiobooks that they don't list on audible.?