Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The Machine posted:

The worst I've come across is a Lord of the Rings CD set from before the movies came out.

It was "acted" by different people with horrible sound effects and music. It was more like a radio drama-type thing, and a lot of it was cut out. Embarrassing...

But those are amazing! This guy played Sam...

And this guy played Frodo...

I really recommend it.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The Machine posted:

It definitely wasn't this. This sounds awesome. The one I have is lame.

Well it must be one of these:

wikipedia posted:

1955-1956 radio play

In 1955 and 1956, the BBC broadcast The Lord of the Rings, a 12-part radio adaptation of the story. In The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien Tolkien disparages the radio dramatization of The Lord of the Rings, referring to the portrayal of Tom Bombadil as "dreadful" and complaining bitterly about several other aspects of the dramatization. No recording of the 1956 series is known to exist.

WBAI radio adaptation

In the early 1960s radio station WBAI-FM, New York, broadcast a short adaptation of The Lord of the Rings, with music. This version, which had not been authorized by Tolkien, was later suppressed by his legal representatives.

1979 radio play

A 1979 dramatization of The Lord of the Rings was broadcast in the USA and subsequently issued on tape and CD. No cast or credits appear on the audio packaging. Each of the actors was apparently recorded separately and then the various parts were edited together. Thus, unlike a BBC recording session where the actors are recorded together, none of the cast are actually interacting with each other; the performances suffer badly as a result.

1981 radio play

In 1981 the BBC broadcast The Lord of the Rings, a new, ambitious dramatization in 26 half-hour instalments. It starred Ian Holm as Frodo Baggins, the protagonist; he would play Bilbo Baggins, his character's cousin/uncle, in the live-action trilogy.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Yarrbossa posted:

Just started listening to The Magicians Land by Lev Grossman, which is the last book in a trilogy starting with The Magicians. The guy who reads this (Mark Bramhall) is loving incredible. Some people who I listen to I barely remember afterwards, but this guy is awesome.

Everything about his narration is perfect except for Poppy. Bramhall cannot do an Australian accent to save his life. It kinda ruined my experience of the second audiobook.