Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I live an hour from work and listen to a lot of audiobooks. I've been using Audible for over a year now and other than the draconian DRM I'm happy.

Also Slaughter House Five read by Ethan Hawke is the best drat audiobook I've heard. Even if you've read the book 100 times like I have, Hawke does an amazing job narrating. I can't recommend it enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Scott Brick annoys the hell out of me most of the time which sucks considering the amount of stuff he has read for audible. After listening to the original 6 Dune novels I had to bore his voice out of my brain with an auger. A year later and I will finally purchase books read by him again but he is definitely not my first choice.

I will listen to anything read by Charlton Griffin and I really enjoyed Roy Dotrice (ASoIaF) and Nigel Planer (Discworld). Listening to the ASoIaF series is quite interesting actually, you can hear Dotrice improve with each novel.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I just finished Money by Martin Amis (narrated by Graeme Malcom) this morning on the way to work and I'd put it up there with Slaughterhouse Five as one of my favorite audiobooks. The narrator pulls off a very convincing John Self. Awesome book, it really had me hooked.

They are pricey but I have been enjoying The Modern Scholar series as well. It helps that I tend to listen to them at least twice and then go through the study guides. It didn't occur to me how freaking dorky that really is until I just typed it out.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The General posted:

The Audible Android App is loving amazing.

Until it crashes all over the place or fails to download a file because it is "Unable to find file on server". I have never had such a fierce love/hate relationship with a piece of software.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I enjoyed Pacey's reading of The Pregnant Widow but I also really like Martin Amis.

On a somewhat related note Money narrated by Graeme Malcom is one of my favorite audiobooks. Malcom is very convincing as John Self. I can't say enough good things about it.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I tried to cancel my Audible subscription today, but they offered me $20 to stay. I took the $20 and found 3 books I wanted from their Win-Win sale and then noticed they offer large discounts on books you already own on Kindle. What's even better is this 'Whispersync' thingy they have now which, if what they say is true, syncs your kindle and audiobooks for seamless transition between reading and listening. If it works as intended I'm going to be thrilled.

Audible continues to impress me. I've tried several times now in 4 years to cancel my subscription only to have them woo me back.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Listening to Particle Physics for Non-Physicists: A Tour of the Microcosmos then The Particle at the End of the Universe: How the Hunt for the Higgs Boson Leads Us to the Edge of a New World gives you a lot of insight as to wtf actually happens at CERN, especially the LHC. They are both fantastic.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

coyo7e posted:

So here's a request, anyone have recommends on fiction or non-fiction about nature, fishing, hunting, camping and the like? Something along the lines of A River Runs Through It would be most excellent, or perhaps some Steinbeck (although they seem to not be available for purchase on audible right now, which is a shame because I'd love to listen to Cannery Row or Travels With Charlie again). I'm trying to break the second or third inception level by going fishing and listening to a book about fishing and stuff.

Not Patrick McManus or other comedy "sports" writers.

Sorry for the late recommendation, but have you read The Dog Stars? I just finished it last evening and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a post apocalyptic story with a strong survival element, but there are no zombies or supernatural beings. The narrator has a deep love for the outdoors, especially fishing, and after finishing the book it's obvious the author does too. Parts of it really reminded me of camping in the forest campgrounds of upper Michigan. I spent a lot of time up there trout fishing with my granddad.

Here's a quote, just because I like it.

quote:

If I ever woke up crying in the middle of a dream, and I'm not saying I did, it's because the trout are gone, every one. Brookies, rainbows, browns, cutthroats, cutbows, every one.

If you do read it, let me know. There is one scene in the book that I think is loving horrible and I want to discuss it. Also know that there is quite a bit of violence.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

XBenedict posted:

The Three Body Problem

Aurora

Or if you want mega value from a Fantasy novel, try The Mists of Avalon

This man enjoys good sci fi right here. The Three Body Problem and Aurora are loving fantastic. I'm going to have to check out The Mists of Avalon.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I like the new channels thing already. Definitely a nice perk.

I wonder how many short stories and lectures they are going to host before they start repeating them.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

They just added one called The Black Death by Dorsey Armstrong which is really good too if that interests you. I really like her lectures.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Apoffys posted:

https://www.discogs.com/William-Gibson-Neuromancer/release/1032711

It certainly looks like a real thing that was made, oddly enough a version abridged by someone else and with incidental music by U2. Finding a copy looks like it could be difficult though, a quick search only turned up a few expensive used copies.

I have a copy of this. The reading is real bad with the exception of the first paragraph. I still love it though, I've listened to it about a dozen times. No U2, but there is some weird industrial dub towards the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Sure.