Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

I just listened to The Yiddish Policeman's Union
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiddish_Policeman%27s_Union
It's classic noir with all the characters speaking with a Yiddish accent. The narrator totally makes it work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

The General posted:

Finished reading: The colour of magic, The Light Fantastic, Mort and Scourcery.

I'm not a huge fan of the first two books, but that's because Pratchett was still new and hadn't found his groove yet. Though you see the improvement in book two. I never really like Rincewind (though he really does grow on you) or Twoflower but was sad to see them go by the end of book two. They're more Douglas Adams inspired than the parody that the series becomes.

Mort is possibly my favourite book of the series (Though I've only read the first 15 of them), mostly because Death is such an awesome character. Not sure what else to say about it, if you have not read/listened to Mort do so. NOW.

Scourcery is a fun read. I love the Wizards and Unseen University and it focuses alot on them. There's just something about inept, stuttering, backstabbing wizards that amuses me greatly.

You'll notice that I'm skipping certain books, the ones involving Granny Weatherwax and crew. The narrator they got to do them is terrible. She lacks the comedic timing of Nigel Planer, gets the voices all wrong and is just boring as all gently caress. I'm the sure the books are great, but I can't get over the narration.

Nigel Planer is awesome. He does the later witches books, so I suggest giving them a try. He really gets the characters perfectly

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

The General posted:

Mistborn is loving amazing. I think I've probably listened to the books about five times.

Edit: The politics are very simple. Though I still enjoyed them.

Yeah, mistborn is nothing like wheel of time, except perhaps that they both have fairly well-defined magic systems.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

Shakugan posted:

Anyone have an android app recommendation for audiobooks? I'm currently using Akimbo Player. It's ok, I guess.

Mortplayer is awesome. It's got every feature I've ever wanted in an audiobook player

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

Kid posted:

Have you seen an option to increase/decrease the playback speed in mortplayer? That is the only option I can't find, and would like since some readers are so slow.

I guess not. I never use that so I've never noticed.