Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

SnakePlissken posted:

Really? My first audiobook was (abridged ver.) Neuromancer, and I thought it was read by Gibson himself. Maybe I was mistaken? It had that one band, you know, Bono and the Edge etc. doing part of the musical backdrop -- and in the 80s, they were pretty "cutting edge" I should mention. The reader sounded like a real stoner,

Yeah, Gibson read the abridged version, and that band you're talking about sounds like one called U2, it might be them maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

I'm 28. I couldn't tell if he was joking or not, so I went with it.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Don't listen to typical goons about Pullman. If you're expecting gee whiz bang giant bear fights and steampunk adventures for the rest of the Northern Lights series, then you're missing the point entirely. The next two books introduce new characters and worlds and play out differently than you might expect.

Unlike a lot of YA/fantasy fiction recommended around here, everything does a purpose and is written in a way that doesn't talk down to younger readers or adults. He's blunt with his message, but it's done in a way that so many people take it personally to both ends of the spectrum instead of actually considering the allegory.

Anyway. It's Pullman narrating the audiobooks and the cast is fantastic, so yeah.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Sadly, he is not :/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Davis_%28audiobook_narrator%29

OtOH, the only Snow Crash I've gone through was the first few chapters of that audiobook, and it was pretty good/funny.