Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khad
Aug 11, 2006

third time's the HRAAAAAAAAAAAAALF

.TakaM posted:

I never really watch his videos but I hear good things about Spoony One every so often.

Holy poo poo I just watched one of his Swat 4 LPs and it was one of the most hilarious LP segments I have seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Irate gamer is the worst rip-off ever. Could he make it any more obvious.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I found out about the AVGN when Schmorky originally made the FFF toon. I've seen every video AVGN has made since.

I'm a pretty big fan. Most of the time he has good information, he's usually funny, and has a pretty impressive collection.

I'm a child of the 80's and a fan of potty humor though.

Ghost of St Helens
Oct 11, 2007

.TakaM posted:

Some of you guys might want to check out the HVGN (yes, the H is for happy)
Of all the nerd knockoffs, he is definitely the best, I think he even got the AVGN's seal of approval.

I really liked his Review of Earthbound. It was extremely informative and interesting too.

Ytadel
Feb 20, 2006

More Action! More Excitement! More Adventure!
Mirroring what everyone else has said... AVGN is good when he stays focused on the games. His special effects extravaganzas can be sort of painful to endure. I definitely watch his new episodes when they come out, although sometimes I'll move the video to the side of the monitor and start simultaneously doing something else while it runs if a giant CGI turd shows up and he starts battling it.

But on the other hand, his more subdued and informational videos are great. His Nintendo Power episode is genuinely excellent and I've watched it three or four times.

.TakaM posted:

Of all the nerd knockoffs, he is definitely the best, I think he even got the AVGN's seal of approval.

I agree with this, I think he does a great job for the most part. Like the AVGN, the more he tries to do "comedy" the worse it can get (such as the StarTropics review sock puppet), but when he just stays focused on the games he's in the 99th percentile of internet video-video game reviewers (which isn't saying much, but still). All of his Capcom sidescroller reviews (Little Nemo, Mega Man 9, DuckTales, Chip N Dale) are really good.

I think goemon047 on youtube also does good reviews. He's very hyper but he's not ripping off anyone's style and he seems to mean well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRhBegEQVss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbto1neHWQA

Khad
Aug 11, 2006

Boinks posted:

I found out about the AVGN when Schmorky originally made the FFF toon. I've seen every video AVGN has made since.

I'm a pretty big fan. Most of the time he has good information, he's usually funny, and has a pretty impressive collection.

I'm a child of the 80's and a fan of potty humor though.

The only time I don't like AVGN is when he does the turd or shitpickle sidekicks that don't really add anything to the video. Maybe if they weren't in the whole video it wouldn't be so bad.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Some of you take your comedy way too seriously. Angry Video Game Nerd isn't just about profanity. He takes a nostalgic look at some classic games and makes us wonder why we put up with them in the first place. Plus, his video game library is incredible. Try watching a couple of videos before you poo poo all over a decent thread.

I mean, Games masturbates over that snarky Australian guy, whose sole gimmick is that he talks really fast and hates everything.

See, I can make sweeping generalizations about videos I don't watch, too.

Rabid Koala fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 6, 2009

Captain Arab
Oct 21, 2008

Manic depressive goat fucker
I AM SO ANGRY ABOUT THESE CRAPPY VIDEO GAMES! THEY ARE MAKING ME MAD!

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

mp5 posted:

I took like a 4 month break from watching the videos when said "gently caress" a lot like a chicken (whenever that was). I turned on the most recent one and got nerdy turd.

The optimist in me wants to attribute this to bad luck but something tells me that's not the case.

That was one of the worse he's ever done.

These were two decent ones that he's made in the last few months.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44794.html Milon's Secret Castle
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43789.html Bible Games 2

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
A lot of the AVGN appeal comes from James Rolfe's experience as an independent filmmaker. He knows a lot about pacing, editing, directing and acting enough that the videos feel more like sketches than mediocre LPs (which is what a lot of his knock-offs are). I've been watching them since his YouTube beginnings and call myself a fan as I also enjoy his Cinemassacre work as well. He just seems like such a nice, decent and hardworking guy behind the scenes.

If anyone here is wanting to watch some good AVGN videos; I recommend Silver Surfer, Sega CD, 32X, Bugs Bunny's Birthday Bash and Nintendo Power because they really show you what he's trying to go after.

Silver Surfer is awesome because it's a notoriously difficult NES game that he gets more and more frustrated with as time goes on. It's more like a Let's Play than a sketch and is absolutely hysterical.

Sega CD and 32X are his two best hardware (as opposed to game) reviews and are kind of a two-parter hence why I recommended them. Again, his skills at editing and pacing make this very entertaining because he gives commentary as he tries to set-up and play the systems.

Bugs Bunny's Birthday Bash is probably the best of his mini-movie/sketch reviews. It has some excellent slapstick comedy where he beats and assaults Bugs Bunny (one of his friends in a costumer) in increasingly violent ways. I agree with an earlier post that stuff like Shitpickle really isn't funny (Master Chu was ruined by this) but every once in a while an acted sketch works.

Nintendo Power is pure nostalgia, probably the best video game one I've seen. It's crazy just how much depth he goes into with regards to NP history.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Arab posted:

I AM SO ANGRY ABOUT THESE CRAPPY VIDEO GAMES! THEY ARE MAKING ME MAD!

MAYBE YOU SHOULD DRINK A BEER

OR DEFECATE

edit:
THATS WHAT I DO IN MY INDEPENDENT FILMS
YOU SHOULD SEE THE PACING AND EDITING OF MY INDIVIDUAL SHITS

Mandatory Assembly fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 6, 2009

Weedle
May 31, 2006

He's genuinely entertaining when he's ripping into a horrible old game, but I usually close the video once he gets to the part where he beats something up and/or shits on it.

edit: everyone else said this

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Numbskullery Afoot posted:

(Power Glove video) The look on his face when he lands on the carrier in Top Gun using the Power Glove is probably my favorite moment.

This was the only really good AVGN video for me. Partly because of that, and partly because I'd never seen the Glove in action before and it was pretty funny seeing how broken it was.

More recently I watched the episode he had his fans write for him and it became apparent just how much everyone loves it for the swearing. That episode was horrible.

Neenski
Apr 22, 2006
Like everyone else said, his console hardware reviews are really good. I'd expect little more than a wikipedia paraphrase, but the depth he goes into makes me wonder what the hardware designers were thinking.

His Nightmare on Elm street review is my favorite, and the guest character actually worked out well (though that was one of the first times he used that gimmick).

Karo
May 23, 2008

Alle Ruder stehen still, wenn dein starker Arm es will.
This thread made me watch both avgn and the guy with the glasses. Avgn's latest episode is pretty painful. Who'd think a sidekick like that would make a whole episode better? The other guy is pretty funny without going over the top.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Der Shovel posted:

I have to say I'm a big fan, even though I agree he should cut down on the poo poo obsession. It was funny to a degree but it's a cheap, stupid gimmick.

Incidentally, everyone should check out the non-gaming stuff he's done, including his looks at horror films and Rocky. He's extremely passionate about movies and much more laid back when he's not playing AVGN, so they're worth checking out.

Rocky jumped a park bench part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVwu-UbpPUw
Rocky jumped a park bench part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBgN3EdYFP4

That was actually pretty drat good, thanks for the links.

Captain Arab
Oct 21, 2008

Manic depressive goat fucker
THIS VIDEO GAME SUCKS.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Utritum posted:

You sould also watch his Let's Play of Phantasmagoria 2. It's pure gold.

It was good up until a point. After a while he just started repeating the same jokes over and over.

"I heard that Curtis"
"Gotta count these reciepts"
"*Joke that MST3K did 13 years ago*"

I eventually just gave up and watched a silent Let's Play of it on YouTube to find out how the game ends.

Shotgun Jones
May 19, 2003

by Ozmaugh
I like the Nerd because he makes up his own swearwords. "Fuckballs" is always a classic!

Matlock, BRB
Jun 23, 2004

by T. Finn
bunb

Edit: sorry

Matlock, BRB fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 6, 2009

bomper
Apr 26, 2009

Anybody been having trouble with the AVGN merchandise?
The tshirt Screw Attack was supposed to send to have been here like 2 weeks ago. I'm sorta pissed because it was a present for my girlfriend but I guess turds happen. Got 5 days left, too... might have to get something real.
As in "cashwise." :smith:

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

ramen junkie posted:

The tshirt Screw Attack was supposed to send to have been here like 2 weeks ago. I'm sorta pissed because it was a present for my girlfriend but I guess turds happen.
Truth. Things like that are enough to make me say Fuckballs and say it loud and proud, disregarding the stares of onlookers.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
ScrewAttack lost the rights to play his new stuff, right?

Ouch.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

.TakaM posted:

Thanks for this. It doesn't bother me at all that he borrowed AVGN's concept, since he's using it to review games I actually would like to play, as opposed to fetid pieces of poo poo I wouldn't touch with a rusty spoon.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
I enjoy the AVGN vids and watch them religiously. I think he can be very funny when he's not doing 12 year old scatalogical humor. His poo poo humor really detracts from my enjoyment of his videos.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

FilthyImp posted:

Ouch.

What do you mean? His Odyssey video was a "Screw Attack production". All of his stuff is still under the Screw Attack section of Gametrailers also.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Khad posted:

Holy poo poo I just watched one of his Swat 4 LPs and it was one of the most hilarious LP segments I have seen.

I don't even care about his FF8 playthrough anymore, I just want to see more of these SWAT videos. Some of his best work.

His video reviews are pretty good too.

Ytadel
Feb 20, 2006

More Action! More Excitement! More Adventure!

FilthyImp posted:

Ouch.

No, ScrewAttack still owns the AVGN in whatever sense they always did (I'm not clear of the logistics, but I guess they get a percentage of merchandise sales or something). But their AVGN videos as well as their "Video Game Vault" reviews and top 10s are exclusive on Gametrailers for a year or something.

Khad
Aug 11, 2006

Perfect Potato posted:

I don't even care about his FF8 playthrough anymore, I just want to see more of these SWAT videos. Some of his best work.

His video reviews are pretty good too.

Yeah I can't wait until he gets to the bank robbery. That is the hardest mission in that drat game.

My favorite is the Soviet Communist Computer Software one, that one had me in tears.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

If anyone is interested, AVGN just released his newest one, AND it is one of the best kinds. Normal amount of cursing, and no gimmicks, just hating on LJN and lovely games.

X-Men games: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48906.html

Though I am curious as to the lack of Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge.

Edit: For those who are liking Spoony's SWAT LP and didn't know, he has already done missions 4 through 8. They are just on his website instead of youtube.

Here's the site (videos are higher quality too):http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/category/lets-play/swat-4/

Saints Crow fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 6, 2009

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
The X-Men one was pretty good. I like how he went with more of a straight review and not a gimmicky production.

I also like being able to see more of his video game bunker. All the poo poo he's amassed is pretty impressive.

DocBrown
Apr 11, 2007

by Ozma
His irrational hatred of Wolverines claws was pretty funny. That's stuff your normal gamer wouldn't give a poo poo about.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I'd be more annoyed about Wolverine's sudden loss of regenerative abilities.

Khad
Aug 11, 2006

Ez posted:

The X-Men one was pretty good. I like how he went with more of a straight review and not a gimmicky production.

I also like being able to see more of his video game bunker. All the poo poo he's amassed is pretty impressive.

What I hate is when there are clips in the title sequence that aren't in any of the videos and I want to see what is going on in that clip.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Khad posted:

What I hate is when there are clips in the title sequence that aren't in any of the videos and I want to see what is going on in that clip.

Khad, did you see my edited in link to the next 5 SWAT LP vids? They are pretty good.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...

DocBrown posted:

His irrational hatred of Wolverines claws was pretty funny. That's stuff your normal gamer wouldn't give a poo poo about.

Actually what I love about him is that he focuses his complaints as if he's a 10 year old kid again.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

KOMI posted:

He's never been funny, really, but at least his videos were entertaining enough to watch and see him describe in detail a game that was made before I was even born and whatnot, and it was informative.

This is one of the reasons that I do like his videos. They're educational on the history of a lot of products.

But, I do actually find them funny on occasion, as yes, they're excessively bitter and obscenity filled, but sometimes, I'm an immature jackass and laugh at that sort of stuff.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Man, Spoony sounds insanely similar to Wallace Shawn when he talks, and especially when he laughs.

DocBrown
Apr 11, 2007

by Ozma
Here's another AVGN rip off only i'm pretty sure he's either mentally imbalanced or just foreign. Watch the first 4 minutes it gets very weird. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDThky6nfLY&feature=channel_page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khad
Aug 11, 2006

Dissolusion posted:

Khad, did you see my edited in link to the next 5 SWAT LP vids? They are pretty good.

Oh I had already seen all eight of them and yeah they are hilarious

• Locked thread