Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptAwesome
Jan 19, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are there some AVGN videos that aren't on the Cinemassacre site? For example, in one of the intros to a video it looked like he was reviewing the Sega Saturn which I haven't seen.

He tends to throw stuff into the intros to see what kind of a response it gets from from fans. As far as I know, his site has the most up-to-date listing of all the videos he's made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are there some AVGN videos that aren't on the Cinemassacre site? For example, in one of the intros to a video it looked like he was reviewing the Sega Saturn which I haven't seen.

Nope - all the ones he did before getting the GT deal are linked on Cinemassacre. Regarding the second part of your post, a reader asked a similar question (regarding him holding a copy of Mischief Makers in an intro shot) and James replied that his intros can be a mish-mash of preliminary material and stock footage. So we're all waiting for the Saturn, Judge Dredd, and Wayne's World episodes that he's done footage for.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Merkmerk posted:

Also, LJN games were loving terrible - I remember figuring this out when I was about 10-11 after Spiderman + X-men : Arcade's Revenge

I remember when I was a young sprout and venturing to the video store with my brother. It was a rule of thumb to carefully inspect games before we rented them to make sure they didn't have "the rainbow of ruined weekends". It was like a branding of horrible even my feeble eight year old mind could comprehend.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Speaking of rainbows, he now has up a review of the Terminator 2 games.

All I have to say is thank god I was spared a bunch of that misery as a kid.

Some Cool Guy
May 14, 2007

by angerbotSD

iastudent posted:

Heh, SA actually did a review of that SNES T2 game. How did they gently caress that up so badly?

And how do they keep loving up Terminator games? I think the Arcade game was the only really good one, and even that had those bullshit scenes where you have to protect the truck and the van, and when hey get one-shotted you lose half your health.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I made it all the way to the mental institution in the SNES T2 game but then John Conner died due to some loving steam from a radiator. :byodood:

The video was pretty good, though. I was kind of expecting him to go apeshit nuts like he did in the Dick Tracy video - that was the most upset I've seen the character get in these videos. Dick Tracy nearly destroyed him!

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...

iastudent posted:

It's a shame that they decided to put up the video during E3, because I would have never known. Good thing I randomly checked GameTrailers late last night. The video is the last video on the last page of their rotation slider for crying out loud, and it came out yesterday.

Here's the link: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-video-screwattack/49944

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I'm sorry but AVGN's swear and poop gimmick isn't any worse than Yahtzee's talk fast gimmick

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
^^ I entirely agree, but that's not why I watch it. I can appreciate the creativity of some of the more elaborate reviews (Mario 3, Halloween, etc). This is coming from someone who never does dumb or silly things because I never try as I have no creativity of my own. That said, I'm willing to grant him some license to do weird things, because when he's successful, the payoff is much better than someone who plays it close to the chest.

Also, if you like AVGN, you should also like The Nostalgia Critic. His videos are more in depth and much more focused on the content rather than the character.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I owned and finished the GameBoy version of T2.

Ugh, gently caress that game. :(

serling
Aug 25, 2005

James just posted another "You know what's bullshit?"- video on youtube. I'm beginning to love these as well.

Angry random-topic nerd :haw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsdzaEVeFEE

Amnesty Intl.
Dec 9, 2004
CHAIRMAN RAPEAPE'S WORD IS LAW

ZeeBoi posted:

I owned and finished the GameBoy version of T2.

Ugh, gently caress that game. :(

It's arguably the most technically impressive game for the system, that still has good gameplay that is.

EDIT: Are you talking about the awesome Arcade Game port, or the piece of poo poo regular T2: Judgement Day?

Amnesty Intl. fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 9, 2009

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I absolutely love him because he happens to fall in my exact gaming generation. When he talks about the video game wars, it’s like exactly what I remembered. Also I spent something like 40-60 hours a week for an entire summer playing Simon's Quest and everything he bitched about was dead on. I think it's enjoyable to me because I played most of the games he played and I remember the frustrations he says he has, and it brings back those memories. It's cathartic. The swearing is part of that because I also remember flipping off the screen and throwing the controller every time I failed the goddamn carrier landing.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Amnesty Intl. posted:

EDIT: Are you talking about the awesome Arcade Game port, or the piece of poo poo regular T2: Judgement Day?

I played and mastered the side scroller T2 for Game Boy as a kid. The best(ha) part is once you became good at the game, there's literally nothing else to do with it. Shoot down 5 towers, kill an HK, kill a few T-800s, reprogram it, shoot the semi truck a bunch with the sawed off shotgun, pick up the terminator parts at Cyberdine, and push the T-1000 into molten steel. That's it. You can finish the whole game in about 15 minutes once you know what you need to do and how best to do it.

Another funny part of that game he didn't go into was the lifebar. Not only were there hits you couldn't avoid at all in stage 2, but you had 1 lifebar as John Conner for the first two stages, and 1 lifebar as the reprogrammed T-800 for the last 3. You don't get any life back in between stages except between 2 and 4 (the third doesn't use it). I guess they did this to try to increase replay once they realized how drat easy and short the game was, but that's a pretty cheap trick.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

hello internet posted:

I'm sorry but AVGN's swear and poop gimmick isn't any worse than Yahtzee's talk fast gimmick

I'd rather listen to 9 hours of yahtzee than 10 minutes of AVGN with ANY of his little comedy sketch parts. Dude just needs to stick to real talk game reviews.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

An Angry Videogame Nerd and Nostalgia Critic cross over

Something they did when everyone from thatguywiththeclasses (and associates) went to Chicago to meet up and do that huge brawl thing.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

For anyone who still cares, Spoony has the new episode of his SWAT LP up: http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/category/lets-play/swat-4/

Rupture Farms
Aug 19, 2004

Just a rittle plick
With the exception of nerdy turd, I've enjoyed pretty much every installment of AVGN. Although his early videos didn't have as much impact for me, but that's obviously due to him just starting out getting a feel for the "pissed the gently caress off" nerd persona we all know too well. I too have a pretty juvenile sense of humor and watching him curse up a storm and launch various objects around the room never gets old for me.

I always enjoy his rips on LJN. Jesus Christ HOW did that company stay in business? The worst from them was easily Back To The Future. The skateboarding levels were bad enough with that picture dissapearing/time limit thing. But has anybody ever gotten past the stage where Marty throws milkshakes at Biff and his gang? I'll never, ever beat that stage.

And yeah the old guy selling Atari games was great.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.

BrokenCycle posted:

It's a shame that they decided to put up the video during E3, because I would have never known. Good thing I randomly checked GameTrailers late last night. The video is the last video on the last page of their rotation slider for crying out loud, and it came out yesterday.

Here's the link: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-video-screwattack/49944

A LOT less gimmicks this time. Makes for a more interesting watch.

Plain Bagels
Sep 13, 2008
I feel AVGN is pretty bland now a days. I enjoyed and even laughed a little at his earlier videos when it seemed like he was actually playing games from his childhood and also not trying to inject any of his movie making ambition. Now I guess his videos are kind of entertaining and I'll watch if I'm bored (I'm doing it now) but really? 14 minutes to talk about NES terminator? And there's a part 2 for the sequel?

On the other hand I have nothing but positive things to say about HVGN, I'd rather watch his stuff over the AVGN's any day. A lot of the time I'll even usually end up playing the games he reviews and enjoying them (holy poo poo Metal Storm is awesome.)

Jeroen
Jun 2, 2004
I have been accused of a stalker!

Dissolusion posted:

For anyone who still cares, Spoony has the new episode of his SWAT LP up: http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/category/lets-play/swat-4/

Thanks. He's easily the most entertaining reviewer out there but his updates are pretty irregular.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
A new Nerd review was posted today- it isn't up on GameTrailers yet, but there was a direct link on James's Twitter page. This time around, the Nerd reviews a Japanese game loosely based on Transformers. A very simple, yet entertaining review- no real "gimmicks" except for one at the end, and an interesting running gag involving what appears to be the Nerd's equivalent of Popeye's spinach- Billy Mitchell Rickey's Hot Sauce!

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

It's up now.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-video-screwattack/51566

ZephroDyne
Feb 14, 2007

(*ΦωΦ) <I am nekocat
Heck yeah, new AVGN. I wonder if there's going to be a triple season boxset, I'll be buying one since I didn't buy the previous 2.
Yes, I am going to buy them because they have provided me with more entertainment than anime can ever provide.

Zorlance
Aug 3, 2008
Has anyone ever watched the regular stuff that Screw Attack do? It's loving dreadful, I watched a few of their Video Game Vaults and it's some jerk off throwing old internet memes into every sentence while talking about some old NES or Game Boy game.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Zorlance posted:

Has anyone ever watched the regular stuff that Screw Attack do? It's loving dreadful, I watched a few of their Video Game Vaults and it's some jerk off throwing old internet memes into every sentence while talking about some old NES or Game Boy game.

Although he wasn't originally a ScrewAttack affiliate, their recent addition BrentalFloss and his "what if this classic video game song had lyrics?" are quite catchy. The SMB3 and Banjo-Kazooie ones are pretty catchy and clever. Play that fuckin' fiddle, Mumbo!

There was also an audio commentary of The Wizard that was pretty interesting, but I'm a sucker for audio commentaries. To avoid getting it pulled, they put it up on a dummy DailyMotion account "kccatawercs" with file names like "Nothing Part 1" or something like that.

ETA: Oh, and PBC Productions's Captain S debuted on ScrewAttack. That was pretty good, including the crossover Captain S/AVGN Christmas special.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Zorlance posted:

I dig their stuff. I do agree, though, that they need to lay off the stupid internet meme poo poo. Not all their videos have that, just some.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
I can't beleive the sheer ammount of garbage NES games that were produced.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.

Athropos posted:

I can't beleive the sheer ammount of garbage NES games that were produced.

In years to come will we say the same about the Wii? Or is just not as funny because there's a set of casual rules we go by?

Like, so many of these games were hard because of the lack of health bars, continues, control, etc. I mean, cheap deaths are like 99% of the reason NES games sucked.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
In recent years, I've been of the opinion that although, I certainly liked SNES more when I was young, NES has more appeal to me now. It just has more quality games. I could spew off about 2 dozen good NES games. Less than half that for SNES.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

M3wThr33 posted:

In years to come will we say the same about the Wii? Or is just not as funny because there's a set of casual rules we go by?

Like, so many of these games were hard because of the lack of health bars, continues, control, etc. I mean, cheap deaths are like 99% of the reason NES games sucked.

consider that back then, it was actually worthwhile for companies like LJN to make horrible games. There was no internet or TV networks you could look to for game reviews. If you didn't have a subscription to a game review magazine, you had to rent a game first, or buy it blindly. It was a lot easier to crank out lovely games and still make money off unsuspecting buyers.

Not to mention, it cost practically nothing to make a game back then, compared to the budgets of today's games. When you're spending millions of dollars producing a game, you can't afford for it to get terrible reviews.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Athropos posted:

I can't believe the sheer amount of garbage NES games that were produced.

People think most of today's games are poo poo, while they look back fondly on the old systems. The crap-to-good game ratio was the same back then as it is now.

It's a striking realization once you take off the rose-tinted shades and look at the console's line-up for what it is: A few good games, the rest is crap.

With that being said, at least most of the crap games today are at least somewhat playable, the old NES games resorted to some very cheap and nasty tricks to make them unplayable. Also, the internet makes things alot easier to determine if a game was crap or not.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 22, 2009

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Stuff like impossible sections and cheap deaths were used back then to inflate the length of these games. If you didn't have those the games would've been about an hour or two long.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Starhawk64 posted:

Also, the internet makes things alot easier to determine if a game was crap or not.

Too true. It sort of depresses me that I don't resort to renting a game at blockbuster just because I liked the box art anymore. Nowadays it's all about metacritic and things like that. Taking a blind plunge to pay for a 5 day commitment is what brought you and a game together, whether it was poo poo or not.

kuribo
Aug 2, 2003

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.
I liked him until I realized that all of his reviews were pretty much interchangeable. It was like watching an Alex Cross novel.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

kuribo posted:

I liked him until I realized that all of his reviews were pretty much interchangeable. It was like watching an Alex Cross novel.

True, but that's his act really. It's kind of like saying "Oh, I liked watching King Lear at the theatre until I realized all the performances from the various actors were interchangeable."

Swearing and all that stuff is just part of the character he created. In between that swearing is some pretty good commentary on the lovely mechanics of the game.

Bonaventure posted:

What?

Just saying, that's how the character is and how he is played in each review. You can't deviate from that or else it wouldn't be that character.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 22, 2009

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Jimbot posted:

It's kind of like saying "Oh, I liked watching King Lear at the theatre until I realized all the performances from the various actors were interchangeable."

What?

kuribo
Aug 2, 2003

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

Jimbot posted:

True, but that's his act really. It's kind of like saying "Oh, I liked watching King Lear at the theatre until I realized all the performances from the various actors were interchangeable."

Swearing and all that stuff is just part of the character he created. In between that swearing is some pretty good commentary on the lovely mechanics of the game.

Just saying, that's how the character is and how he is played in each review. You can't deviate from that or else it wouldn't be that character.

Did you just compare AVGN to... Shakespeare?

My point is, his schtick is old--- it's all cursing, no substance. And sure, it may be his character... but, you know, don't formerly beloved characters ever get old to you? Hell, I used to like Pat from SNL, but I can only take so much!

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

Nohman posted:

I remember when I was a young sprout and venturing to the video store with my brother. It was a rule of thumb to carefully inspect games before we rented them to make sure they didn't have "the rainbow of ruined weekends". It was like a branding of horrible even my feeble eight year old mind could comprehend.

To be fair, Nightmare on Elm Street was a pretty good and fun game, despite LJN being terrible and well, the game was pretty bad now that I think about it.

I do like it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
Even the Nerd has said that he likes some of the games he reviews.

• Locked thread