Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

HootTheOwl posted:

I tested it before I posted it, the times were already split out
It comes up with the right answer if the days are the same, but if it spans multiple days it won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TheLastManStanding posted:

It comes up with the right answer if the days are the same, but if it spans multiple days it won't.
Again, I tested it before I posted it.
I had two test cases, the first was the example as given, the second was from 11pm to 1am the next day.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

HootTheOwl posted:

Again, I tested it before I posted it.
I had two test cases, the first was the example as given, the second was from 11pm to 1am the next day.

It gives 554 hours instead of 2 because you are multiplying the day difference by 24; in terms of hours it is evaluating as 1-23+(24*(24))

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TheLastManStanding posted:

It gives 554 hours instead of 2 because you are multiplying the day difference by 24; in terms of hours it is evaluating as 1-23+(24*(24))

It shouldn't be evaluating the day difference to 24, it should be evaluating it to 1. I do not know why for you it is evaluating it that way in yours.

here it is in my excel.
This behavior matches This website. Where basic subtraction is equivalent to executing the DAYS function.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

It shouldn't be evaluating the day difference to 24, it should be evaluating it to 1. I do not know why for you it is evaluating it that way in yours.

here it is in my excel.
This behavior matches This website. Where basic subtraction is equivalent to executing the DAYS function.

Change E30 to 11/28/23. Does it still say 2 hours?

It's giving you the "right answer" because it is formatted as h:mm, which drops the number of days from the cell. If you change formatting to something custom like yyyy:mm:dd:hh:mm, you can see that the cell value is being treated in excel as January 23 1900, @ 2 AM. [h]:mm gives the elapsed number of hours.

Your formula is essentially telling excel to take 1/0/1900, add 24 days, add 1/24 days , and subtract 23/24 days.

Doing direct math on date and time values is a minefield of these kinds of errors, especially if you are importing data or manually entering it. It's best practice to use functions like hour() and do the math directly.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 28, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I still get the correct numbers when I make it 28

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

HootTheOwl posted:

here it is in my excel.
It isn't evaluating to 24, I was multiplying the equation out for clarity, but maybe that was confusing. It's evaluated as 0.04-0.96+(24*(45253-45252)), which is 23.08333333, which is 554 hours, which is wrong. It should be 0.08, which is 2 hours.
Subtracting is equal to days because date/times are stored as days, but you are multiplying by 24, which means now they are hours, and then adding the time difference, which is still in a unit of days. The unit mismatch is an error. If you change the resolved date to 11/28 your equation gives 143.0833333 (3434 hours) when it should just be 5.08 (122 hours).

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I don't know who Google has working on Sheets but they're kinda loving up my sheets.

I was trying to figure out how to count all occurrences of column N that are in column D and I wrote this...
code:
=ARRAYFORMULA(COUNTIF(N:N, D2:D1000))
now obviously this was a mistake because it's going to iterate over every cell in these two columns, creating an error that'll say its NxD long and that the space you gave it is too small.

except what google sheets is doing now is it keeps creating new rows in the sheet. i deleted the formula once i realized what was happening but by then it had created 11000 more rows.

there's been these kinda small issues for about 1-2 months now. another one, which i can't remember if this was what it did before but if you have two sheets, and you toggle between them using your keyboard (alt + up/down cursor), when you go back to the original sheet the cell that the cursor is in will move down by 1. so if it was in cell A24 on the first sheet, and you jump to the second using the keyboard shortcut, when you comeback to the first sheet the cell will be on A25 now.

i'm not sure if this is as designed because if you just click the sheets regularly, it doesn't move the highlighted cell. i'm pretty sure this change was also pretty recent. i'm not sure if i like it or not though since i think there are some use cases. but it's weird that they're just doing this without mentioning these kinda changes.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Any Power Query or M-Code wizards about? I'm trying my hand at Advent of Code 2023 Day 1.

Given the input below, I want to capture the first and last digit in each row, concatenate them, and them sum the column.

code:
1abc2    // 12
pqr3stu8vwx  //38
a1b2c3d4e5f  //15
treb7uchet // 77

Total is 12+38+15+77 = 142
I can't figure out how to split and check if each character is a number or not.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Hughmoris posted:

Any Power Query or M-Code wizards about? I'm trying my hand at Advent of Code 2023 Day 1.

Given the input below, I want to capture the first and last digit in each row, concatenate them, and them sum the column.

code:
1abc2    // 12
pqr3stu8vwx  //38
a1b2c3d4e5f  //15
treb7uchet // 77

I can't figure out how to split and check if each character is a number or not.

The latter part is the easiest thing, there are built in functions that can probably try to parse but here's the simple and direct function
code:
//given a single character text as input, check if it's from 0-9
isCharADigit= (text Char) => Char >= "0" and Char <= "9"
There are a number of different strategies you could employ for the splitting - a lot of the challenge here is figuring out how to work around M's lack of loop constructs. Text.At(input,0) will give you the first character, and you could use this with a recursive function that checks the next index for Text.At if it's not a digit. Or you could use Text.ToList to convert the input to a list of characters, List.Select to filter the list to just digit characters, and List.First/List.Last to take the outermost digits. If you were really brave you could use List.Accumulate...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Heavy_D posted:

The latter part is the easiest thing, there are built in functions that can probably try to parse but here's the simple and direct function
code:
//given a single character text as input, check if it's from 0-9
isCharADigit= (text Char) => Char >= "0" and Char <= "9"
There are a number of different strategies you could employ for the splitting - a lot of the challenge here is figuring out how to work around M's lack of loop constructs. Text.At(input,0) will give you the first character, and you could use this with a recursive function that checks the next index for Text.At if it's not a digit. Or you could use Text.ToList to convert the input to a list of characters, List.Select to filter the list to just digit characters, and List.First/List.Last to take the outermost digits. If you were really brave you could use List.Accumulate...

Thanks for the ideas!

I ended up brute forcing it by clicking around the GUI. The gist of my steps:
  • Split the input into columns, each containing one character
  • Change data type for all columns to Number
  • Change resulting Error values to Null
  • Concatenate all Columns, which ignores the Nulls, and leaves me with a string of all digits
  • Get the first and last characters. Convert to number
  • Sum

It works but is wildly inefficient and ugly. I'm going to give your way a go. Also, here is a guy tackling it in Excel and making me feel bad.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
What’s a good resource for learning M language?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mweber posted:

What’s a good resource for learning M language?

Until you find something better, this is probably a good starting point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZkIwKBVkVE

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

Until you find something better, this is probably a good starting point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZkIwKBVkVE

Thanks!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/
Is it the same as this?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hughmoris posted:

code:
1abc2    // 12
pqr3stu8vwx  //38
a1b2c3d4e5f  //15
treb7uchet // 77

Based on Heavy_D's help and this video I've settled upon a final solution, which is much cleaner than clicking through the GUI.
code:
(x as list) as number =>
let
    Digits = List.Transform({0..9}, each Number.ToText(_)),
    cleanList = List.Transform(x, each Text.Select(_, Digits)),
    FirstandLast = List.Transform(cleanList, each Text.Combine({Text.Start(_,1), Text.End(_,1)})),
    FLtoNumber = List.Transform(FirstandLast, each Number.FromText(_)),
    GrandTotal = List.Sum(FLtoNumber)
in
    GrandTotal

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 14, 2024

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Nice work - Text.Select is more direct than my suggestion of Text.ToList and List.Select. But I do have an extra tip! Where you have
code:
    Digits = List.Transform({0..9}, each Number.ToText(_)),
You don't need to define an "each" function in this instance; since Number.ToText is already a one parameter function you can just pass the function name.
code:
    Digits = List.Transform({0..9}, Number.ToText),

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 15, 2024

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I feel like this is something thousands of people probably do in Excel every day and I just don't know the right terms to find their solutions, but maybe I'm wrong and it is complicated.

I have one master sheet with 145 columns. I have a second input sheet with 101 columns, all of which are in the master sheet, all in the same order, but not all grouped together; the other 44 columns from the master sheet are mostly formulas based on those 101 columns, and appear at various points in between. The data in the input sheet is compiled weekly and appended to the master.

What I'm looking for is a way to have probably another sheet, blank except for the column headers from the master sheet, that can pull the data from the input sheet into the columns with matching headers, or alternately, a way to insert blank columns in the input sheet where the master-sheet-only columns exist in the master. The end goal either way is to be able to copy the entire input sheet and paste it at the bottom of the master sheet without doing manual column organization (which is easy to screw up). Then I can just pull down the formulas in the blank columns and be done.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Note that I'm a lousy coder, if that affects your advice.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Can you move all the function columns over and then copy paste into the blank space?
Or you can have your blank values be equal to the input sheet (=inputSheet!A2) and then anything you paste into the input sheet will change this new sheet.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It's not the most sophisticated way, but it's probably about the speed you're operating at based on your description. Use Column Groups to either make the master sheet hide the calculations columns, or insert blank columns in the Input sheet and collapse them until you're ready to copy/paste. There's a button to (un)collapse all which will save you time either way.

https://www.excelcampus.com/tips/groups-outlines/

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I must either be explaining this wrong or completely misunderstanding, sorry.

HootTheOwl posted:

Can you move all the function columns over and then copy paste into the blank space?

No, the column order has to be maintained, unfortunately.

HootTheOwl posted:

Or you can have your blank values be equal to the input sheet (=inputSheet!A2) and then anything you paste into the input sheet will change this new sheet.

This is 3000–5000 rows per week. That'd be a lot of =s, and a bunch of N/As when some of them were blank in the input sheet. (It's also a fresh CSV every time, but I could rename it.)

DarkHorse posted:

It's not the most sophisticated way, but it's probably about the speed you're operating at based on your description. Use Column Groups to either make the master sheet hide the calculations columns, or insert blank columns in the Input sheet and collapse them until you're ready to copy/paste. There's a button to (un)collapse all which will save you time either way.

https://www.excelcampus.com/tips/groups-outlines/

This didn't work. I created a template sheet with the columns from the master sheet, grouped the columns that don't appear in the input, collapsed all, then tried to copy and paste from the input sheet. The data pasted into the collapsed columns.

If a visual would be more clear, let's say this is the master sheet:

And this is the input sheet:

I'm looking for a less manual way to get here:

from where I could just drag the formula columns down and be done.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Similar question. I have to copy info from a program and paste it into an Excel tab every day, to try and keep track of a specific type of transfer we have a quota for. (Our MI sucks)

I've got a different tab with enough formulas that pull from the tab with raw data to get the basic information we need (# of transfers, and who has fulfilled their quota/who hasn't). The table always ends up with some garbage in it, but I can live with that.

Since I'm trying to expand use of this sheet to people who are more scared of Excel (and just polish it up), and I'm weaksauce on the VBA side, would the best option be an input form, where they can hit a button to paste clipboard contents to cell A1 of the (hidden) cell for the raw data? I've just been copying and pasting with destination formatting so far.

Follow-up; is there a way in the macro to then have the data clipped at a specific point before and after the info I need? When I copy from the website, there's a few lines of junk on top and on bottom, and I just need the stuff that would, in any sane program, be exportable to text/excel.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 24, 2024

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

disaster pastor posted:

I must either be explaining this wrong or completely misunderstanding, sorry.

No, the column order has to be maintained, unfortunately.

This is 3000–5000 rows per week. That'd be a lot of =s, and a bunch of N/As when some of them were blank in the input sheet. (It's also a fresh CSV every time, but I could rename it.)

This didn't work. I created a template sheet with the columns from the master sheet, grouped the columns that don't appear in the input, collapsed all, then tried to copy and paste from the input sheet. The data pasted into the collapsed columns.

If a visual would be more clear, let's say this is the master sheet:

And this is the input sheet:

I'm looking for a less manual way to get here:

from where I could just drag the formula columns down and be done.

You'll have to use your template sheet, it's going to replace your input sheet. If you're testing things out, first copy your input sheet data to the template sheet manually. Copy from the now filled out template sheet (presumably with columns collapsed) and paste into your master sheet and everything should be in the right spot.

If that works, just provide the template sheet to your users as the input sheet. With columns collapsed it should be identical for their purposes. And since you're dragging down (double-clicking the + drag) formulas anyway, any errant data should be overwritten

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

You'll have to use your template sheet, it's going to replace your input sheet. If you're testing things out, first copy your input sheet data to the template sheet manually. Copy from the now filled out template sheet (presumably with columns collapsed) and paste into your master sheet and everything should be in the right spot.

If that works, just provide the template sheet to your users as the input sheet. With columns collapsed it should be identical for their purposes. And since you're dragging down (double-clicking the + drag) formulas anyway, any errant data should be overwritten

Unfortunately, the input sheet is a system-generated CSV, so I can't replace it this way.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Separate post for a separate post

GD_American posted:

Similar question. I have to copy info from a program and paste it into an Excel tab every day, to try and keep track of a specific type of transfer we have a quota for. (Our MI sucks)

I've got a different tab with enough formulas that pull from the tab with raw data to get the basic information we need (# of transfers, and who has fulfilled their quota/who hasn't). The table always ends up with some garbage in it, but I can live with that.

Since I'm trying to expand use of this sheet to people who are more scared of Excel (and just polish it up), and I'm weaksauce on the VBA side, would the best option be an input form, where they can hit a button to paste clipboard contents to cell A1 of the (hidden) cell for the raw data? I've just been copying and pasting with destination formatting so far.

Follow-up; is there a way in the macro to then have the data clipped at a specific point before and after the info I need? When I copy from the website, there's a few lines of junk on top and on bottom, and I just need the stuff that would, in any sane program, be exportable to text/excel.

You might want to look into doing a Power Query. You can set things up so that users just have to place an excel file (or even some other format, like .txt, based on how that other program makes its output!) into a specific folder and the Power Query will filter, process, format, and calculate automatically.

This video goes over some of that

https://youtu.be/Nbhd0B5ldJE?si=TCJtJZdeF22oRvVj

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

disaster pastor posted:

Unfortunately, the input sheet is a system-generated CSV, so I can't replace it this way.

The Power Query method might be a good idea for you too then.

If you find yourself repetitively processing data the exact same way on a frequent basis it's a good method for automating all those steps.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

The Power Query method might be a good idea for you too then.

If you find yourself repetitively processing data the exact same way on a frequent basis it's a good method for automating all those steps.

Thanks. I've been screwing around with it all morning without success, but I'll keep looking at it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey thread, quick question. My mom recently opened up a wholesaler and given we live in an economy with rampant inflation, keeping up to date on supplier prices eats up a lot of her time. I'm very Excel-illiterate so I don't know if this is possible but it's essentially black magic so might as well ask: is it possible to link a value from a website (which appears on the page source) to a cell and have it stay up to date with any changes made to the website?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Azran posted:

Hey thread, quick question. My mom recently opened up a wholesaler and given we live in an economy with rampant inflation, keeping up to date on supplier prices eats up a lot of her time. I'm very Excel-illiterate so I don't know if this is possible but it's essentially black magic so might as well ask: is it possible to link a value from a website (which appears on the page source) to a cell and have it stay up to date with any changes made to the website?

I might be sounding like a broken record at this point but you can do it with Power Query

https://youtu.be/j_ONaX0Ettw?si=jKoLtcd7SHEN8jWo

VBA may be more efficient and elegant but this requires less effort or expertise.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Mostly yes, with Power Query. The most relevant example I can find: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/web/web-by-example

There are a ton of caveats with web scraping but in general it works. You can get it to happen automatically but by default you'll have to hit the 'Refresh All' button on the Data tab. It may be against the website's Terms of Service, there may be a rate limit, they may just tired of the web calls and block you, etc. But I wouldn't really be worried about any of that with your use case.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm performing an analysis of shipping costs at my new job. We received a report on every shipment sent in 2023, but the data was quite messy and I've been trying to clean it up.

Some of our orders ship in multiple packages, and each of our 3 carriers reports that differently. FedEx (in blue) reported the full charge on the line for the first package, and a $.01 charge for every subsequent package. UPS was initially just wrong, and reported the full shipping charge for every package (red) in column AM. I fixed that with a silly formula to basically match the FedEx format (orange) in column AL. This worked for the first analysis we did, but there are problems with this hacky solution for other analyses. Our last shipper, GSO, averages the shipping charge over every line/package. I'd like to take the FedEx and UPS reporting, and change it to the GSO reporting.

The reference number column (AV) has a unique first 13 digits for every order, and if an order has multiple packages it's noted in the last 2 digits (green). I've been trying to use the reference numbers to somehow define a range of shipping rates that would be averaged into a new column, but I've been running into a wall for how to do this. My last attempt was using =AVERAGEIF to define logic around that but it fell apart with a DIV/0 error, and was very hacky and I didn't like it anyway.

If there's a generally accepted solution to this sort of issue I'd be happy to learn it, I've just been struggling with my search terms. Thanks!

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I think this will work:

A) New column with an adjusted reference number from formula
=Left(AV2, Len(AV2)-3)

B) Average cost column with formula
=Averageifs(AM:AM, New column from A, Row reference for new column from A)

For example:
If you put your new adjusted reference column in BA

=AVERAGEIFS(AN:AN, BA:BA, BA2)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Wonderful, that was a much more elegant fix than anything I was working through. The helper column clarified things significantly. Now I need to read up more about how to use *IFS functions.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Nice - I use Excel every day at work and wasn’t even aware IFS existed, I’m still writing tiered IF statements like it’s 1996.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I love COUNTIFS, but I wish they could use ranges of different sizes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have a simple Excel sheet to track my spending vs my income, with each month's transactions set up in columns as

code:
Date      Transaction Name      Cost      Money Before      Money After
I want to use these data to start setting up an actual budget, and hoping to automate it to an extent by the fact that transactions use the same names month to month (Mortgage, Groceries, various utilities etc.) or that certain types of transactions have their cells highlighted. I'm picturing something like a VLOOKUP that can look across a user-defined range of multiple sheets in a workbook, and return the average of the associated values. Is that just a cleverly written VLOOKUP or is there another function for that?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

C-Euro posted:

I have a simple Excel sheet to track my spending vs my income, with each month's transactions set up in columns as

code:
Date      Transaction Name      Cost      Money Before      Money After
I want to use these data to start setting up an actual budget, and hoping to automate it to an extent by the fact that transactions use the same names month to month (Mortgage, Groceries, various utilities etc.) or that certain types of transactions have their cells highlighted. I'm picturing something like a VLOOKUP that can look across a user-defined range of multiple sheets in a workbook, and return the average of the associated values. Is that just a cleverly written VLOOKUP or is there another function for that?

If they were all in one sheet, this would be a good use case for a pivot table. Multiple sheets complicate it a lot. Are you wedded to that design?

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Off the top of my head I think you might need to pull everything into a single page to do it that way, then you could use Averageif / Avergaeifs formula. You could write a macro to pick up sheet, append to master list - or manually do that each month.

Doing it with regular formulas would get out of hand quickly, maybe it would work with Indirect… you have a list of your sheets on your formula page and then use something like

=sumif(indirect(sheetname!a2:a200), “mortgage”, indirect(sheetname!b2:b200) where sheetname is just the cell that holds the sheet names.

fake edit:
I was stumped enough to google and if you search “Averageifs across multiple sheets” you’ll find lots of answers using Sum and Frequency - seems like that’s the way.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Hmm I'm guessing Excel doesn't let you glob two columns together into a list or an array? Cause you can do that in Google Sheets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Get power bi, it's free. Then you can just use power query to join them all, and make a really slick looking dashboard.