Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Bob Morales posted:

What's the best way to go from this:
code:
item1 qty1
item2 qty2
item3 qty3
To this?
code:
item1 qty1 item2 qty2 item3 qty3
The built-in transpose doesn't quite do what I want, can I customize that or do I have to go some other way?

Transpose does something like this:
code:
item1 item2 item3
qty1  qty2  qty3
Would it be easier to just do that first, and then perform another operation on that?

Assuming your dataset is A1:B3, use the following formula in any cell on the worksheet and stretch it to the right:

=OFFSET($A$1,ROUND(COLUMN(A1)/2,0)-1,MOD(COLUMN(A1)-1,2))

so that cell 1 is above, and cell 2 is the following:
=OFFSET($A$1,ROUND(COLUMN(B1)/2,0)-1,MOD(COLUMN(B1)-1,2))

and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fosborb posted:

Assuming your dataset is A1:B3, use the following formula in any cell on the worksheet and stretch it to the right:

=OFFSET($A$1,ROUND(COLUMN(A1)/2,0)-1,MOD(COLUMN(A1)-1,2))

so that cell 1 is above, and cell 2 is the following:
=OFFSET($A$1,ROUND(COLUMN(B1)/2,0)-1,MOD(COLUMN(B1)-1,2))

and so on.
There are 1000's of items and they can have up to 100 columns so I just exported to CSV, looped through it with Python and wrote a new CSV out. Bleh.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Not sure how "small" this question is, but I have the following situation.

I'm keeping track of a game I play, based on scenarios for it, and which game pieces are used in which scenario. Since I don't own all the expansions and whatnot, I want to be able to selectively color or filter out scenarios I can't play with what I have.

So, on one sheet, just to be simple, I have, for instance:

code:
Scenario ID | Maps Required
1           | 21, 24
2           | 1
3           | 3, 4, 21
I'm trying to figure out how to filter out the scenarios, for example, "I only have maps 21 and 24, I want to color all of the scenarios that use OTHER maps red" or something. Should I use VBA to split that column into an array and then use that array to selectively color the rows?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

COOL CORN posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to filter out the scenarios, for example, "I only have maps 21 and 24, I want to color all of the scenarios that use OTHER maps red" or something. Should I use VBA to split that column into an array and then use that array to selectively color the rows?

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"21","24"},B10)))>0

It will return 1 if it matches 1, 2 if it matches 2....you could color it on that

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bob Morales posted:

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"21","24"},B10)))>0

It will return 1 if it matches 1, 2 if it matches 2....you could color it on that

Almost perfect, but matching single number is a problem. I guess I could use leading 0s.

(i.e. SEARCH({"1"}, B10) is matching 21, 31, 41, etc.)

edit-- Is there a way I can save the array in a hidden cell and refer to it? Having {"1", "2", "3"} in cell AA2, and then using SEARCH(AA2, B10) isn't working.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 19, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

Almost perfect, but matching single number is a problem. I guess I could use leading 0s.

(i.e. SEARCH({"1"}, B10) is matching 21, 31, 41, etc.)

edit-- Is there a way I can save the array in a hidden cell and refer to it? Having {"1", "2", "3"} in cell AA2, and then using SEARCH(AA2, B10) isn't working.

What if you put them all in a range of cells and just used that range (AA1:AA5 for example) to reference them?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
You may want to consider using a small database for this, or perhaps making a 1:1 relationship of scenarios to maps rather than trying to stuff the maps into one cell. That way, you could either use a filter to pull out the values you need or use a PivotTable to summarize them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

What's the best way to go from this:
code:
item1 qty1
item2 qty2
item3 qty3
To this?
code:
item1 qty1 item2 qty2 item3 qty3
The built-in transpose doesn't quite do what I want, can I customize that or do I have to go some other way?

Transpose does something like this:
code:
item1 item2 item3
qty1  qty2  qty3
Would it be easier to just do that first, and then perform another operation on that?

I ended up doing it in Python

code:
# Creates a horizontal BOM from a vertical BOM

import csv

# file to read in and convert
bom_file_filename = 'FullBOM.csv' #'HTest.csv'
# file to hold the output
output_filename = 'HorizontalResults.csv'

# the last ID and part we read
last_id = ''
last_part = ''
# the list of subcomponent parts
sub_part_list = []

# open the output file for writing
output_file = open(output_filename, 'w')
# write the header
output_file.write("Internal ID,Name,Member Item,Member Quantity\n")

with open(bom_file_filename) as csvfile:
	reader = csv.DictReader(csvfile)
	for row in reader:
		current_id = row['Internal ID']
		current_part = row['Name']

if current_id == last_id:
		# same part as the last row
		# add to list
			sub_part_list.append(row['Member Item'])
			sub_part_list.append(row['Member Quantity'])
		else:
		# this row contains a new part
		# output the old part and list
			if len(sub_part_list) > 0:
				s = "%s,%s,%s\n" % (last_id, last_part, ','.join(sub_part_list))
				output_file.write(s)
				# start new list
				sub_part_list = []
			# add to it
			sub_part_list.append(row['Member Item'])
			sub_part_list.append(row['Member Quantity'])
			last_id = current_id
			last_part = current_part

# done reading the file
# write out the last part we read in
if len(sub_part_list) > 0:
	s = "%s,%s,%s\n" % (last_id, last_part, ','.join(sub_part_list))
	output_file.write(s)

# close the output file
output_file.close()

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
That's pretty slick!

So what kind of clusterfuck are you in where you legitimately have to pull out python to manhandle Excel data, and also that you're loving about with Excel data AND have permissions to execute python scripts at all?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

fosborb posted:

That's pretty slick!

So what kind of clusterfuck are you in where you legitimately have to pull out python to manhandle Excel data, and also that you're loving about with Excel data AND have permissions to execute python scripts at all?

Exporting data from one ERP system to another. Not sure why they want it in that format when they have imported it before in the regular horizontal format.

code:
Happy_Meal Hamburger 1
Happy_Meal Cup 1
Happy_Meal Lid 1
Happy_Meal Straw 1
Happy_Meal Drink 1
Happy_Meal Fries 40
Happy_Meal Fries_Bag 1
Happy_Meal Box 1
Becomes:

code:
Happy_Meal Hamburger 1 Cup 1 Lid 1 Straw 1Drink 1 Fries 40 Fries_Bag 1 Box 1
The the fun part is we have part numbers that START WITH LEADING ZEROS. 00694 that kind of poo poo

Then add in the fact that we have part numbers like 1234.10 1234.20 with TRAILING ZEROS

So you have to be ultra-careful at every step of importing, exporting to make sure you don't lose those. Excel loves to HELP YOU OUT and hide data especially with CSV's. gently caress.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Bob Morales posted:

So you have to be ultra-careful at every step of importing, exporting to make sure you don't lose those. Excel loves to HELP YOU OUT and hide data especially with CSV's. gently caress.

A not uncommon problem with Excels helpfulness

Abstract posted:

The spreadsheet software Microsoft Excel, when used with default settings, is known to convert gene names to dates and floating-point numbers. A programmatic scan of leading genomics journals reveals that approximately one-fifth of papers with supplementary Excel gene lists contain erroneous gene name conversions.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Oh Christ. Are the people responsible for the state of things you're in even still alive?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm trying to make an Excel function take a value and return multiple rows from a table line-by-line containing said value, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do it. Can anyone give me a code sample or point me to one online? Spent hours beating my head against this with various index-match and vlookup examples from Google :sigh:.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm trying to make an Excel function take a value and return multiple rows from a table line-by-line containing said value, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do it. Can anyone give me a code sample or point me to one online? Spent hours beating my head against this with various index-match and vlookup examples from Google :sigh:.
You're trying to do this in a formula? If you have each output row contain two things: 1) a formula obtaining the row number in the source table containing the value you're looking for, and 2) a separate formula or formulas that use the source row number to actually look up the values,, I suppose you could then have each row start the range for the source for the VLOOKUP starting at the next row after the source row number you obtained in the previous row.

But why are you trying to do this in a formula? You should probably either just use a filter or use an actual programming language depending on your needs.

schmagekie
Dec 2, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That sounds like some really advanced stuff that's meant for a VBA sub or Python rather than a function. Maybe this will help: https://colinlegg.wordpress.com/2014/08/25/self-extending-udfs-part-1/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

schmagekie posted:

That sounds like some really advanced stuff that's meant for a VBA sub or Python rather than a function. Maybe this will help: https://colinlegg.wordpress.com/2014/08/25/self-extending-udfs-part-1/

That link gave me some decent ideas and I actually got what I needed working in Powershell (Along with the script converting to a .csv file first so it didn't plod along slowly line-by line).

Think I just got stuck beating my head on this and needed a fresh perspective, thankyou.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I have 500+ sheets with lists of people and start and finish times.

Unfortunately the system which generates them puts multiple start/finish pairs for the same day in the same cell - as in O7/P7 below - which means formulas trying to total up hours across the year don't work.

I'm trying to find a way to insert a row where a multi-line entry is present and split the entry/entries like this:

But if there's a way to total hours with the data as it is in the first screenshot that would also work.

I've done a whole lot of Googling over the last couple of days and tried out a bunch of VBA and non-VBA things to accomplish this but I haven't yet found anything that does the trick.

If anyone can help I'd be super grateful.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 16, 2016

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
How clean is the data?

My first thought is a VBA script which runs through the sheet totalling hours in column Z (or wherever), but it would be looking a) for pairs of filled cells (i.e. a start and a finish) and b) for anything which deviated form the ##:## time format. But if your data isn't as neat as you've presented it that won't fly.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

potatocubed posted:

How clean is the data?

My first thought is a VBA script which runs through the sheet totalling hours in column Z (or wherever), but it would be looking a) for pairs of filled cells (i.e. a start and a finish) and b) for anything which deviated form the ##:## time format. But if your data isn't as neat as you've presented it that won't fly.

It comes with some merged cells and stuff, but it's pretty clean:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Alright, paste this into a module and give it a go.

Remember to change targCol to be the column where you want the totals to appear (I chose Z arbitrarily) and startRow to be the row where your data starts. It also assumes that there are no gaps in Column A, because that's how it knows when to stop.

It's got some rudimentary error checking in, so hopefully even if it's not 100% perfect it'll highlight the few rows you need to manually check.

pre:
Sub DoTheThing()
    Dim targCol As String
    targCol = "Z"   'Change this to a column of your choice.
    Dim startRow As Integer
    startRow = 2    'Change this to the first row with data.

Dim ts1 As String
    Dim ts2 As String
    Dim lts1 As Integer
    Dim lts2 As Integer

Dim numOnly As String
    Dim check As Boolean

Dim hourCount As Double

Dim ws As Worksheet
    Set ws = ActiveSheet

For i = startRow To 10000000
        If ws.Cells(i, 1) = "" Then Exit For

check = True
        hourCount = 0

If WorksheetFunction.CountA(ws.Range("C" & i & ":P" & i)) mod 2 = 0 Then
            'Matching pairs. Next!
            For j = 3 To 15 Step 3  'Getting them in pairs.
                ts1 = WorksheetFunction.Text(ws.Cells(i, j), "hh:mm")
                ts2 = WorksheetFunction.Text(ws.Cells(i, j + 1), "hh:mm")

'I could handle this so much better, but I *really* need to be somewhere else right now.
                If ts1 = "" Then ts1 = "00:00"
                If ts2 = "" Then ts2 = "00:00"

'Clean yo data.
                numOnly = ""
                For k = 1 To Len(ts1)
                    If IsNumeric(Mid(ts1, k, 1)) Then
                        numOnly = numOnly & Mid(ts1, k, 1)
                    End If
                Next k
                ts1 = numOnly

numOnly = ""
                For k = 1 To Len(ts2)
                    If IsNumeric(Mid(ts2, k, 1)) Then
                        numOnly = numOnly & Mid(ts2, k, 1)
                    End If
                Next k
                ts2 = numOnly

'Is it a simple one?
                If (Len(ts1) = 4) And (Len(ts2) = 4) Then
                    'Yup
                    hourCount = hourCount + TimeCounter(ts1, ts2)
                Else
                    'Nope
                    If (Len(ts1) <> Len(ts2)) Or (Len(ts1) Mod 4 <> 0) Or (Len(ts2) Mod 4 <> 0) Then
                        check = False
                        ws.Range(targCol & i) = "Data error!"
                        Exit For
                    End If

lts1 = (Len(ts1) / 4) - 1
                    lts2 = (Len(ts2) / 4) - 1

ReDim tArray1(lts1) As String
                    ReDim tArray2(lts2) As String

'Loop through the numbers to get matching pairs.
                    For k = 0 To UBound(tArray1)
                        tArray1(k) = Mid(ts1, (k * 4) + 1, 4)
                        tArray2(k) = Mid(ts2, (k * 4) + 1, 4)
                    Next k

For k = 0 To UBound(tArray1)
                        hourCount = hourCount + TimeCounter(tArray1(k), tArray2(k))
                    Next k
                End If
            Next j

If check Then ws.Range(targCol & i) = hourCount
        Else
            'Not enough data.
            ws.Range(targCol & i) = "Not enough data!"
        End If
    Next i

End Sub

Function TimeCounter(time1 As String, time2 As String) As Double
    'Returns the number of hours.
    Dim startHour As Integer
    Dim endHour As Integer
    Dim minutes As Integer

minutes = 0

startHour = CInt(Left(time1, 2))
    endHour = CInt(Left(time2, 2))
    If Right(time1, 2) <> "00" Then
        minutes = minutes + 60 - CInt(Right(time1, 2))
        startHour = startHour + 1
    End If

minutes = minutes + CInt(Right(time2, 2))

TimeCounter = endHour - startHour + (minutes / 60)
End Function

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 16, 2016

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

potatocubed posted:

Alright, paste this into a module and give it a go.

Remember to change targCol to be the column where you want the totals to appear (I chose Z arbitrarily) and startRow to be the row where your data starts. It also assumes that there are no gaps in Column A, because that's how it knows when to stop.

It's got some rudimentary error checking in, so hopefully even if it's not 100% perfect it'll highlight the few rows you need to manually check.

That does exactly what I needed, thank you very much!

I'm going to have to pick through it at some point and see if I can figure out what makes it tick.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
This is more of a VBA question than Excel but I'm thinking this thread if my best hope for VBA experts.

For work, I'm part of a 25-person committee that makes decisions on certain topics. What I would like to do is create a questionnaire or form of some sort that can reside in an email and be sent out, and the recipients can answer the 5 or so questions with a YES/NO/MAYBE. I'd then need a way to log/track the answers from all the recipients. I have Outlook and Excel 2013 to work with. Any ideas on a simple way to go about this? It looks like there is a simple "Poll" type email that Outlook can do but I think its only good for 1 question. I'm thinking I'll need to create some sort of form with VBA?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 17, 2016

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Just use Survey Monkey. Literally the entirely of Corporate America uses it for bullshit one off polls.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

fosborb posted:

Just use Survey Monkey. Literally the entirely of Corporate America uses it for bullshit one off polls.

Yeah, Survey Monkey would definitely be the easiest way to go about it. I'd like to try my hand at it as a learning exercise. Am I on the right track, thinking I can build a VBA userform inside an outlook email and the recipients somehow submit their answers back to me?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
If you're on a committee of 25 it sounds like you're in a larger company. Check to see if you have Microsoft InfoPath. That + SharePoint could probably solve your problem. Link.

Otherwise, I think you're SOL. Here's a breakdown of html form functionality by email client.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, Survey Monkey would definitely be the easiest way to go about it. I'd like to try my hand at it as a learning exercise. Am I on the right track, thinking I can build a VBA userform inside an outlook email and the recipients somehow submit their answers back to me?
Even if this is possible, you definitely should not do this. You should not be emailing random VBA code to people to execute. Also, you would still need a way to receive the answers, and sending an email without user intervention or something like that would be extra terrible.

If you really wanted to do this yourself manually you would have to run an HTTP server to host an HTML form which is not something you can do in VBA.

Do what fosborb said and try infopath or use something off the shelf like survey monkey.

mystes fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 17, 2016

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Hi guys, not necessarily a small question but figured this is the best place to ask.

Any goons looking for a small'ish side project?

I'm a chef and I've just taken over a new kitchen, in the past I've either used pen and paper or software like resortkitchen to calculate recipes / stock / produce / kitchen costings etc.

Even my self created supplier price lists than show percentage changes on cost of items vs other suppliers is like gold dust in my world. But as for creating a more complete recipe costing spreadsheet, its way beyond me.
If anyone is interested then feel free to get in touch at chrisdhegarty at gmail.com & I can expand further & talk :20bux:

If this is frowned upon sorry! Anywhere else I should look?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

fosborb posted:

If you're on a committee of 25 it sounds like you're in a larger company. Check to see if you have Microsoft InfoPath. That + SharePoint could probably solve your problem. Link.

Otherwise, I think you're SOL. Here's a breakdown of html form functionality by email client.

mystes posted:

Even if this is possible, you definitely should not do this. You should not be emailing random VBA code to people to execute. Also, you would still need a way to receive the answers, and sending an email without user intervention or something like that would be extra terrible.

If you really wanted to do this yourself manually you would have to run an HTTP server to host an HTML form which is not something you can do in VBA.

Do what fosborb said and try infopath or use something off the shelf like survey monkey.

Thanks for the ideas. After thinking about it for a few days, ya'll are right. It isn't worth taking on the headache, and I'll see if others want to use other means.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Anyone know why the following isn't working?

I have the time "19/08/2016 07:56:57" in cell A1 and elsewhere I have the formula "=COUNTIFS(A1,"<="&A1)" which I expect it to return 1 but it returns 0. If I use a different time e.g. "01/08/2016 08:41:23", then it appears to work fine.

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 27, 2016

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

I have the time "19/08/2016 07:56:57" in cell A1 and elsewhere I have the formula "=COUNTIFS(A1,"<="&A1)" which I expect it to return 1 but it returns 0. If I use a different time e.g. "01/08/2016 08:41:23", then it appears to work fine.

Probably a dumb question, but do you have your date format set to DD/MM/YYYY and not MM/DD/YYYY?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Ragingsheep posted:

Works fine for me?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Any time but that one works for me. Change it a second either way? Fine. Separate date and time and compare them separately? Fine. Put them together? Mistake.

I'm baffled. Something to do with rounding, maybe?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I tried it just now and I get the same result, a 0. Very odd.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? The concat is throwing me off a bit here.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Figured it out. Its to do with Excel handling floating point numbers and getting screwed up by me turning the criteria into a string with the concat.

Richard Noggin posted:

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? The concat is throwing me off a bit here.

My data has a set of users and dates and times that the users made a transaction. I wanted to count the number of times more than 5 transactions are made in a hour by a single user. The actual formula is much bigger but this was the bit that wasn't working as intended.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Hey cool, an Excel thread.

I'm looking for a more efficient way to do something.

Let's say I have a bunch of widgets with a shape and color property, and different combinations produce a different part number.

In my Excel table, I want to manually enter the color and shape and then have the following cell automatically fill the part number. I figure, I'll have another sheet with a list of the widgets and their properties including color, shape, and part number.

Currently, I'm using this code and it works:

code:
{=VLOOKUP($N74&$O74,CHOOSE({1,2},Components!$L:$L&Components!$M:$M,Components!$N:$N),2,0)}
However, this is clearly not very efficient and is kind of problematic because Excel recalculates every cell when lines are inserted, etc. Is there a better way to do this?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think I'm precisely visualizing what you're doing, but this feels like something you could do with a range-based MATCH function + INDEX instead. See https://www.deskbright.com/excel/index-match-multiple-criteria/ .

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
You can also turn calculations to manual and just F9 after extended data entry.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I don't think I'm precisely visualizing what you're doing, but this feels like something you could do with a range-based MATCH function + INDEX instead. See https://www.deskbright.com/excel/index-match-multiple-criteria/ .

Yeah, that's exactly it. Match/find with multiple criteria. I'll give this a spin, thanks.

fosborb posted:

You can also turn calculations to manual and just F9 after extended data entry.

Plan B (or C?) right here. Thanks.

edit: went with manual calculation because I think, in the end, it's just a lot of cells that have to be calculated with a lot of lookups and that's just going to take time. Oh, well.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
How do I turn this:

Into this:

Obviously this is a very small sample set. I have a few hundred columns to work with in the source data.

I'm open to VBA as a solution, but I am not very good with VBA. If you can provide some starting point or lead, I'd very much appreciate it!