Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Lady Gaza posted:

I'm currently wearing Acuvue Oasys biweeklies, but am going travelling for two weeks and wanted to get some dailies (likely TruEye) for while I'm away. My optician however said I need another fitting before they will let me buy some daily lenses. I can understand why this is, however if I were to order one month's supply online, how likely is it that the TruEyes would fit as well as the Oasys?

e: just seen that the TrueEye options are 8.2 base curve and 14.2 diameter, while the Oasys are 8.4/14.0.

those are two different sizes and it is hard to say how well they would fit without seeing you or knowing your K readings.

its best to get the fitting done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

wormil posted:

My wife switched us over to the new Bausch & Lomb Peroxiclear. We've gone through several bottles and it's basically the same as Clear Care except the last bottle she bought doesn't neutralize in 4 hours like it's supposed to. In fact it takes closer to 11-12 hours to neutralize. What happens is this: get up in the morning and the liquid is clear, no bubbling, looks like it's done -- except it isn't. It will burn the poo poo out of your eyes. If you give the lens container a shake it will start bubbling again for an hour or so then stop. Then I have to shake it again and let it set for another hour or so. Finally then it is usually done. My first thought was a bad container but nope, it does the same thing with every container even Clear Care containers. Just a heads up in case you try this product.

I have had a lot of patients tell me this same thing too. Thanks for that into that its just necessarily just us up here!

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I apologize for not reading the thread but my eyes are still dilated and blurry as gently caress.

Anyway, just had an exam and was diagnosed as needing glasses. Problem is I'm on medicaid and the office I was seen at didn't have the medicaid-approved frames. I'm gonna guess the ones they do have are probably cheap and ugly with very few choices. I have the prescription, is there anywhere to find affordable glasses without insurance? Shady Chinese websites maybe? I'm just looking for some options. Any help would be lovely.

And no, I'm not doing contacts. I have a horrible 'things touching my eye' phobia so contacts are a big no.

can't help here pal. I'm not from the US.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I've been trying to get fitted for new contacts and I want to make sure my doc is not a moron and this is normal.

I have astigmatism and have worn contacts for probably 20 years. I've never really paid much attention to them or how they work or the types. I just put them in and they've been fine.

But with this last batch and a new doc, I can't seem to get my left one correct. He said my eye shape is somehow between settings for contacts but he can tweak them. I'm on my second left contact fitting and it seems to fit fine. However, it still seems blurry and the astigmatism is still pretty severe. It basically feels like I have a permanent smudge mark across my left eye. Throughout the day, I kinda forget about it but it occasionally distracts me and I end up hard blinking, closing one eye, etc to try to get things back to normal.

I've never had these issues with contacts before and I want to just make sure its not because my doc is stupid.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The doc sounds iffy to me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Is this doc an optician, optometrist, or an ophthalmologist?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Optician is such a terrible contrivance.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Josh Lyman posted:

It is, and they, like so many other non-physician positions, still refer to themselves as "doctor" with patients, which is complete and utter horseshit.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

Fuzz posted:

He's an optometrist. He's a really nice guy but I might go to someone else. Its just such a pain in the rear end.

Now that I've read a but more about contacts, I wonder if gas permeable lenses might be better for me. It seems they take longer to get used to but don't shift and turn every time you blink. That's always been an issue for me, especially as the day wears on. Anyone use these types of lenses for astigmatism?

Kung Fu Jesus fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 8, 2014

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Did he give you silicone hydrogel astigmatism lenses, or the regular ones?

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

I have no idea. They are soft toric lenses. That's all I know.

hiaowy
Sep 8, 2006
What is you opinion on Daysoft contact lenses?

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I've been trying to get fitted for new contacts and I want to make sure my doc is not a moron and this is normal.

I have astigmatism and have worn contacts for probably 20 years. I've never really paid much attention to them or how they work or the types. I just put them in and they've been fine.

But with this last batch and a new doc, I can't seem to get my left one correct. He said my eye shape is somehow between settings for contacts but he can tweak them. I'm on my second left contact fitting and it seems to fit fine. However, it still seems blurry and the astigmatism is still pretty severe. It basically feels like I have a permanent smudge mark across my left eye. Throughout the day, I kinda forget about it but it occasionally distracts me and I end up hard blinking, closing one eye, etc to try to get things back to normal.

I've never had these issues with contacts before and I want to just make sure its not because my doc is stupid.

Doc sounds stupid.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

He's an optometrist. He's a really nice guy but I might go to someone else. Its just such a pain in the rear end.

Now that I've read a but more about contacts, I wonder if gas permeable lenses might be better for me. It seems they take longer to get used to but don't shift and turn every time you blink. That's always been an issue for me, especially as the day wears on. Anyone use these types of lenses for astigmatism?

they are used quite regularly for astigmatic correction.
The trick is finding a fitter who is comfortable fitting them. Its not very common practice in north america, and it does take a bit of know-how to do it right.

ask around :)

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I'll try not to take offense to that.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Fuzz posted:

It is, and they, like so many other non-physician positions, still refer to themselves as "doctor" with patients, which is complete and utter horseshit.

and among opticians, we like to always knock those people down off their high horses. it is infuriating.

its a nice feeling to explain to someone that they were not dealing with a doctor and see them get upset for being mislead. that's a new patient for me :)

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

You guys have any recommendation for contact re-hydrating/wetting/idk eye drops? One of my contacts drys out super quick and it's annoying

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Can anyone tell me if an eyeglasses prescription of -5.25 for both eyes and rimless frames are a recipe for disaster?

I'm finally having to buy new glasses after more than a decade because of an unfortunate encounter with gravity and sand, and was toying with exploring different styles.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I just bought some clear care triple action formula. What I want to know is if it might matter that I'm using the soft lens formula for my hard night lenses.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hey TP, glad to see this thread is still around.

My last contacts were B&L Soflens several years ago, I was wondering if you can equivocally say that materials have improved since then? I'd really like to get back to wearing them when not at a computer but dryness and eye fatigue were problems as I recall.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
OP:

I have had gas permable hard contacts since 1986. I wanted to switch to soft contacts but my astigmatism is very bad so they said I had to keep the hard contacts (Not sure if things have changed)

However, I did try to go to the eye doctor about 5 years ago when I lost a contact and they made me come in. I asked if I could get fitted for some glasses because it would be nice to wear those around the house before bed. And they said that my eyes are sucked a certain way by the hard contact and that I would have to go without wearing my contacts for 2 weeks before the eye would bend back to normal. Which obviously, isn't possible to do.

If I want to get glasses, how can I go about it? I obviously cannot be without contacts for 2 weeks. I cannot see without them. Also, has Lasik improved to where if I have a bad Astygmatism I would possibly qualify?

Any downsides to lasik?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses with official Ray Ban prescription lenses in that I bought from Lens Crafters a few years ago. My prescription changed a little bit (-2.50 / -2.75) since I got them so I would like to get new lenses for them.

My VSP insurance just renewed at the beginning of this year and I was wondering what the best way to go about just getting new lenses for my frames would be.

I spoke to a local eye care store and this is what they quoted me:

$25 co-pay
$80 for polycarbonate and polarized lenses
an option of an additional $85 for AR backside coating

This would be a prescription sunglass lenses that would be made in their local lab and not an official Ray Ban one. Would there be an additional benefit in going the Ray Ban route? I know that LensCrafters can make official RayBan lenses (Or at least send them to someone who does) but was worried about their prices.

What would my best option be?

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
When I woke up this morning I found that one of my Ortho-K lenses had got stuck under my bottom eye lid. I managed to gently nudge it out, then pop out the lens like usual. But I'm now wondering if I should stick them back in before getting to see my optician or if this is just a freak thing I shouldn't worry about?

My partner has hit me in the face in his sleep before by flapping his arms around, which I know has nudged the lenses in the past (it immediately woke me up so I could tell). So I'm wondering if he just managed to do it without waking me and the lens moved further as a result.

im an orange
Jun 24, 2005
edit: nvm

im an orange fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 4, 2015

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I just lost one of the lenses for my glasses while shoveling snow and doubt I'll be able to find it. I might look at this as an opportunity to purchase some new frames and update my prescription. I'm wondering what the most affordable option is in Ontario, Canada. I have a spare pair I can use for a short period of time.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Hi OP, I had a question about your schooling in Canada if you don't mind! I'm an American and though I went to universty in the US the prereqs for an Optical Sciences program in Canada are a little confusing. There's a disclaimer on the site: 'Must be employed within the optical industry, with a qualified preceptor willing to supervise the clinical practicum. The preceptor must be a registered optician, optometrist or ophthalmologist.' How does one get hired by an eye clinic without already having the optical sciences diploma? I know it requires 4 clinical practicums of 500 hours each but I'm a little confused as to how you get into the programs int he first place.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
I just got contacts yesterday, so I'm pretty new to all of this. They've kind of been bothering me, and I noticed that the lens isn't really centered on the iris/pupil. It looks like this:

Where the gray circle is the contact lens. Is this normal/OK?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Quick question. I was getting headaches last year so I got a new pair of glasses. Almost exactly a year later I'm getting similar, although less severe, headaches again with the new prescription. I went to an optometrist (different one this time, for unrelated reasons) and received a new prescription that's only slightly different. Here are the two prescriptions:

Does it seem reasonable that I'd be getting headaches from such a mild prescription change?

I got some trial contacts at this appointment and they seem to solve the headache issues.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 22, 2015

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Does it seem reasonable that I'd be getting headaches from such a mild prescription change?

That's a pretty minor change, but some people are more sensitive to astigmatic changes than others. Do the headaches have any patterns that you can nail down? Do they happen during any specific time of day? Do they always occur in the same part of the head? Do medications help? Are they all of the same severity?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

That's a pretty minor change, but some people are more sensitive to astigmatic changes than others. Do the headaches have any patterns that you can nail down? Do they happen during any specific time of day? Do they always occur in the same part of the head? Do medications help? Are they all of the same severity?

The basic pattern is that I feel like crap (headaches, nausea, eye strain) after a day of working on my laptop. It seems like it's been worse when I work from home, possibly due to me sitting in a place where I have bad ergonomics. I've also had some right arm pain, which is definitely due to that, so I've switched to a more comfortable set up. There may be some issues causing the eye strain that I'm haven't noticed. It's especially weird to me that its happened in winter two years in a row.

The good news is it finally made me go get contacts. Other than the misery of trying to get the drat things in (which seems to be improving quickly) I really like them. It's unbelievable how much more comfortable they are then the old hard lenses I couldn't get used to when I was a teenager.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The basic pattern is that I feel like crap (headaches, nausea, eye strain) after a day of working on my laptop.

How old are you? It could be early presbyopia i.e. difficulty focusing up close after about age 40. You may also have a binocular vision disorder such as convergence insufficiency, or computer vision syndrome. The small change in cylinder may indeed be the culprit as well. How have your headaches been since getting the contacts?

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
I recently switched to a new lens prescription in the last couple months, but I'm not happy with it. I can see near, middle, and far distance generally well with the new glasses, but when I'm looking at far distance I just feel like I can't make out as much detail as I could with my last pair of lenses.

Part of the problem may be that I had been using my last pair since 2009, so the old prescription might have been a little outdated by now. I actually did get a new pair in 2010, but there was a big problem with them. Since I have weaker vision in one eye than the other, my optometrist wanted me to try having one lens a different prescription than the other. It didn't work so well. I tried to give myself time to adjust to the new lenses, but they made me feel like my eyes weren't working in tandem any more, made me headachey and nauseous, and generally made me nuts. So, I went back to using my old glasses, and I put off getting new ones for far too long.

The current pair I am using (no longer a different prescription in each lens, thank goodness) gets the job done, but little problems such as no longer being able to read a wall clock from where I sit in the dining room are causing me worry. Should I go and talk to my optometrist? Glasses aren't cheap, and my insurance won't cover another pair until next year. Should I just wait it out until my next eye exam? Does using a prescription with a poor fit have a permanent effect on your vision?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

How old are you? It could be early presbyopia i.e. difficulty focusing up close after about age 40. You may also have a binocular vision disorder such as convergence insufficiency, or computer vision syndrome. The small change in cylinder may indeed be the culprit as well. How have your headaches been since getting the contacts?

I'm 33. I haven't had headaches since getting the contacts. The contacts have there own issues, but I think it's probably related to dry eyes/contacts and that I'll adjust.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Crossposting at the advice of The Goon Doctor:

I currently work in an office at a dual monitor setup wearing single-vision lenses, and the lighting isn't too bad. However, in the next week or so our office is moving downstairs, to a much more brightly lit area. Having worked in there in the past, the overhead lights become taxing after a while. Not full on headaches or anything, I'm just really unhappy about how bright it is.

I've seen people say you can get good results at cutting some of the harshness via a yellow tinted or lightly gray tinted eyeglass lens, but I wanted to see if anyone had experience or knowledge to confirm/deny that.

For reference, I'm 30 years old, male, have approximatley -5 in each eye, and a mild astigmatism.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

e: gently caress

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 15, 2015

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
I've recently switched from Acuvue 2's to Acuvue Oasys during my latest check-in for a new prescription. During the last two months with the new Oasys contacts, I've gotten two eye styes, both in the upper eyelid of my right eye. This never happened before with the Acuvue 2's. What are the chances I'm allergic to the materials in the Oasys, or something to that effect? I don't think it has to do with my storage ritual with my contacts. I'm actually quite OCD and wash my hands about 3 times before I clean the contacts. I use Kirkland Signature Multi-purpose solution, and take them out every night, but nap with them in occasionally. I do wear them a little longer than they are designed for (2 weeks), but I did the same with Acuvue 2's with no negative consequences.

Skiffard
Jan 6, 2010
For those who have a hard time putting in contacts due to blinking, irritation, etc. this method really helped me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sabAU4_Obic

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

After reading a few things I've come to the conclusion that my optometrist might be a jack off. A while ago when I got my new glasses I got trial soft contacts, tried the trials, but decided to getc rgp lenses. my doctor ordered them, called me when they came in and that was it. Didn't actually check the fit, or show me how to take the drat things out.

Should I find a new optometrist and get refit? I'd really like to get PRK correction but as of now it's not in the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I haven't kept up on this s thread in a couple years but, is there still a goon acknowledged best place to buy online? I recall there used to be one. I am looking for some sport frames for fishing, in particular.

• Locked thread