Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

banana allergy posted:

Wait, so I'm not supposed to order contacts online at all? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me because the contacts I get from 1800contacts are the exact same contacts I get directly from my doctor. They're just cheaper. They deliver. I save.

Or is it just that I shouldn't order them online if I haven't had a fitting? That makes a lot more sense to me.

Go ahead and order them online....the problems will happen in you want to change brands to try new products (how do you know what will or will not fit?), have a problem (like I said, alot of opticians and doctors refuse to see these patients), or have any questions or concerns.

Sure, they are cheaper then the doctor, but you aren't factoring in that the doctor/optician will be there when you have any problems. It's like medical insurence. Sure, you pay for it and hardly ever use it...but when you DO need it.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
So contact prescription doesn't translate to glasses prescription, but how bad is it to get glasses from places like zennioptical?

I wear contacts most of the time and bought glasses for the days that I want to give my eyes a break and for the mornings/evenings.

I got my pupillary distance from my eye doctor and they seemed somewhat annoyed that I wasn't getting my glasses through them but still happy to do it. Everything else I took directly from the contact prescription.

I know it's not the best and I could tell the prescription wasn't just right when I put them on, but I have vision insurance that allows me to get one or the other. I didn't want to spend tons of money on glasses I'd barely be wearing.

So is this some counterproductive thing that is going to make my eyes get worse faster? Or is it okay?

roop
May 10, 2002

I am become Roberto, the destroyer of scoring chances
What kind of dailies do you recommend? Is there any downside to them? I only wear contacts when I got out on the weekends and have been using the same brand (acuvue moist) for what seems like forever.

elixir is zog
Jun 28, 2008

Thunderpussy posted:

Go ahead and order them online....the problems will happen in you want to change brands to try new products (how do you know what will or will not fit?), have a problem (like I said, alot of opticians and doctors refuse to see these patients), or have any questions or concerns.

Sure, they are cheaper then the doctor, but you aren't factoring in that the doctor/optician will be there when you have any problems. It's like medical insurence. Sure, you pay for it and hardly ever use it...but when you DO need it.....

You've provided a lot of useful and interesting advice in this thread, so perhaps I'm just badly misunderstanding this particular point, but this doesn't make sense. I visit my optometrist yearly to monitor my eye health, but I've been getting the same prescription and brand of contacts for years. If for whatever reason I chose to fill my contacts prescription at 1800contacts instead of the optometrist, why would there be a problem with that? My understanding is that contact prescriptions are brand-specific, so you would end up with the same exact contacts from both places. If I suddenly wanted to change brands, I'd have to go back to my optometrist anyway to get a new prescription and/or pick up some samples to try.

What I've gathered so far is that the problem is that patients may be ordering different brands of contacts in different sizes willy nilly or something (presumably from really shady websites, as places like 1800contacts require a prescription). Even if a patient is dumb enough to use a non-legit website to order random contacts without a prescription, it seems like you'd have a great opportunity for patient education and the chance to win over a loyal customer when these patients come to you. Turning away all users of internet contacts websites indiscriminately seems counterproductive in terms of both business and patient care.

What if I took my contacts prescription from my eye doctor and brought it over to my university eye clinic to get filled at a lower cost? That is, do eye doctors and opticians have a problem with all outside contacts sources, or just internet sites?

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

enitsirk posted:

So contact prescription doesn't translate to glasses prescription, but how bad is it to get glasses from places like zennioptical?

I wear contacts most of the time and bought glasses for the days that I want to give my eyes a break and for the mornings/evenings.

I got my pupillary distance from my eye doctor and they seemed somewhat annoyed that I wasn't getting my glasses through them but still happy to do it. Everything else I took directly from the contact prescription.

I know it's not the best and I could tell the prescription wasn't just right when I put them on, but I have vision insurance that allows me to get one or the other. I didn't want to spend tons of money on glasses I'd barely be wearing.

So is this some counterproductive thing that is going to make my eyes get worse faster? Or is it okay?

Depending on the strength of your spectacle Rx, your contact lens Rx could be VERY different.

For example...your spectacle Rx might be -9.50 -1.00 x 020

Your contact lens Rx maybe be -8.00

There's a bit of math involved in compensating for the differnce the 12 mm your eyeglasses are refracted at vs the 0mm you wear the lenses on.

This is probably exactly why your optometrist was fine with giving you your PD measurement. My guess is that you are looking through a completely wrong eyeglass Rx.

They could potentially be making your eyes worse.

Sorry.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

roop posted:

What kind of dailies do you recommend? Is there any downside to them? I only wear contacts when I got out on the weekends and have been using the same brand (acuvue moist) for what seems like forever.

Acuvue moist are great. If you like them, stick with them.
I recommend them to many patients of mine.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

elixir is zog posted:

You've provided a lot of useful and interesting advice in this thread, so perhaps I'm just badly misunderstanding this particular point, but this doesn't make sense. I visit my optometrist yearly to monitor my eye health, but I've been getting the same prescription and brand of contacts for years. If for whatever reason I chose to fill my contacts prescription at 1800contacts instead of the optometrist, why would there be a problem with that? My understanding is that contact prescriptions are brand-specific, so you would end up with the same exact contacts from both places. If I suddenly wanted to change brands, I'd have to go back to my optometrist anyway to get a new prescription and/or pick up some samples to try.

What I've gathered so far is that the problem is that patients may be ordering different brands of contacts in different sizes willy nilly or something (presumably from really shady websites, as places like 1800contacts require a prescription). Even if a patient is dumb enough to use a non-legit website to order random contacts without a prescription, it seems like you'd have a great opportunity for patient education and the chance to win over a loyal customer when these patients come to you. Turning away all users of internet contacts websites indiscriminately seems counterproductive in terms of both business and patient care.

What if I took my contacts prescription from my eye doctor and brought it over to my university eye clinic to get filled at a lower cost? That is, do eye doctors and opticians have a problem with all outside contacts sources, or just internet sites?

Contact prescriptions are not brand specific whatsoever. Based on your Rx and your corneal measurements, along with an accutate patient helth record, a selection is made/your options are given to you.

The problem is that it's a somewhat unethical one on the part of 1-800-CONTACTS.
They are asking ME to do the work that they cannot do (actually fit and teach you about lenses) for them so they can sell YOU the product. What's my motivation to spend time and teach you?

The people that are turned away are those that have come to myself or others in the area and are told WHY ordering online isnt a smart idea. Once they try and come back looking for help, its very easy to distinguish who now understands why it is important, and those that don't care.

The one's that don't care/keep doing it are the ones we'll always turn away. Education for the patient is one of the most important things to do...but if I've spent a few hours with you teaching you how to put it/take out/clean your lenses, given you trial lenses and then never hear from you again until 6 months later when yours eyes are in sad, sad shape...well, don't be surprised if I dont want to waste MORE of my time with you. I've just worked for free for 1-800Contacts so they can make a quick buck and now I have to fix their problem.

Selling eyewear is tricky. It's both a Retail and Healthcare profession.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

Thunderpussy posted:

Depending on the strength of your spectacle Rx, your contact lens Rx could be VERY different.

For example...your spectacle Rx might be -9.50 -1.00 x 020

Your contact lens Rx maybe be -8.00

There's a bit of math involved in compensating for the differnce the 12 mm your eyeglasses are refracted at vs the 0mm you wear the lenses on.

This is probably exactly why your optometrist was fine with giving you your PD measurement. My guess is that you are looking through a completely wrong eyeglass Rx.

They could potentially be making your eyes worse.

Sorry.

Eh, well I barely wear them anyway *shrug*
My contact lens Rx is -3.0 for my right eye and -3.25 in the left.

ETA: I actually would say that's kind of an rear end in a top hat move to say 'hey I'll give you your PD measurement, and knowing that you're getting your glasses elsewhere I won't tell you the Rx is different!' I think I may have asked him if it'd be the same though and he said something along the lines of 'close enough'
It's been over a year though so I'm not sure.
I understand not wanting to do the work without the benefit, but I paid him for my exam (at least my insurance did) and I bought my contacts through him. I didn't want to have to shell out a couple hundred bucks for glasses as well.

Edit AGAIN!
So I found my prescription and he actually put glasses up top and contacts on the bottom.
However, it is pretty much the same. My contacts don't correct for any astigmatism because he said that it probably wasn't necessary because of how slight mine is.
Glasses says -3.00 -0.25x085
-3.25 DS
contacts
02 Optix 8.6
-3.00 and -3.25 DW 2 week Repl.

Now I wonder if my doctor is just an idiot or if it's probably fine because hey, he's licensed too.

And another question.
I know someone asked about Lasik and you said go to three or so doctors for consultations and if anyone doesn't think it's a good idea, don't do it. But would you recommend any of the alternative surgeries or just say "stick with the contacts/glasses"? For example, would you ever recommend the implantable lenses?

enitsirk fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 10, 2009

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

enitsirk posted:

Eh, well I barely wear them anyway *shrug*
My contact lens Rx is -3.0 for my right eye and -3.25 in the left.

ETA: I actually would say that's kind of an rear end in a top hat move to say 'hey I'll give you your PD measurement, and knowing that you're getting your glasses elsewhere I won't tell you the Rx is different!' I think I may have asked him if it'd be the same though and he said something along the lines of 'close enough'
It's been over a year though so I'm not sure.
I understand not wanting to do the work without the benefit, but I paid him for my exam (at least my insurance did) and I bought my contacts through him. I didn't want to have to shell out a couple hundred bucks for glasses as well.

Yeah...I agree, it IS kind of a dick move on the Dr's part. But again, you're asking for something that isn't a part of a Dr. exam (the PD measurement). You SHOULD have been provided 1 paper copy of your spectacle Rx. That's what you paid for.

Now, if you had gotten a "Free Eye Exam" well, that's a different story altogether...

Unless you have any unaccounted for astigmatism, your CL Rx should work just fine in your case.

Next exam, ask him/her SPECIFICALLY for your SPECTACLE Rx. Then post here and I can tell you your CL Rx :D

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Can having astigmatism prevent me getting a PRK eye surgery?

If the side of my eyeglasses frame is too tight is it possible to heat it up (it's made of plastic) and bend it a little to loosen the tension?

elixir is zog
Jun 28, 2008

Thunderpussy posted:

Contact prescriptions are not brand specific whatsoever. Based on your Rx and your corneal measurements, along with an accutate patient helth record, a selection is made/your options are given to you.
Oh, I missed before that you're in Canada. In the US, I think contact prescriptions are usually brand-specific. I can see how internet sites could create some additional problems in countries where that's not the case, though. Anyway, thanks for the clarifications; your perspective makes a bit more sense to me now.

elixir is zog fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 10, 2009

Calculon
Mar 19, 2006

WAKE UP AMERICA

Thunderpussy posted:

The problem is that it's a somewhat unethical one on the part of 1-800-CONTACTS.
They are asking ME to do the work that they cannot do (actually fit and teach you about lenses) for them so they can sell YOU the product. What's my motivation to spend time and teach you?

The people that are turned away are those that have come to myself or others in the area and are told WHY ordering online isnt a smart idea. Once they try and come back looking for help, its very easy to distinguish who now understands why it is important, and those that don't care.

The one's that don't care/keep doing it are the ones we'll always turn away. Education for the patient is one of the most important things to do...but if I've spent a few hours with you teaching you how to put it/take out/clean your lenses, given you trial lenses and then never hear from you again until 6 months later when yours eyes are in sad, sad shape...well, don't be surprised if I dont want to waste MORE of my time with you. I've just worked for free for 1-800Contacts so they can make a quick buck and now I have to fix their problem.

Selling eyewear is tricky. It's both a Retail and Healthcare profession.
I still don't quite understand what you're raging about here. If someone goes to their eyedoctor and pays them to measure their prescription and fit them with a lens why does it matter if that person decides to order the very same contact brand you fitted them with online? How is this costing you time and/or money?

Also are you sure that contact prescriptions are not tied to the brand? This may be different for the United States but I tried to order a box of disposable contacts online to try them out and the website refused to fill the order because my prescription says Acuvue Oasys.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Maybe you don't have 1800contacts up in Canada or something but when I order my contact lenses they have to confirm with my doctor's office that I am ordering the right contact lenses. I also can't order them with a prescription that is over a year old. I've seen several eye doctors since I started using contact lenses and none of them have had any problem with 1800contacts.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Mongolian Squid posted:

Can having astigmatism prevent me getting a PRK eye surgery?

If the side of my eyeglasses frame is too tight is it possible to heat it up (it's made of plastic) and bend it a little to loosen the tension?

It might...it depends on where the astigmatism is located.

Sure! Be careful that you don't get it too hot though, or else you may damage the frame.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

elixir is zog posted:

Oh, I missed before that you're in Canada. In the US, I think contact prescriptions are usually brand-specific. I can see how internet sites could create some additional problems in countries where that's not the case, though. Anyway, thanks for the clarifications; your perspective makes a bit more sense to me now.

They're not, I promise. When you punch that information into the computer, by law that are only allowed to sell you what you are currently wearing, as they have no way of assessing the fit of the lens. They are assuming that the trial pair of lenses you have, or the lenses you have been wearing all along, fit just fine.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Calculon posted:

I still don't quite understand what you're raging about here. If someone goes to their eyedoctor and pays them to measure their prescription and fit them with a lens why does it matter if that person decides to order the very same contact brand you fitted them with online? How is this costing you time and/or money?

Also are you sure that contact prescriptions are not tied to the brand? This may be different for the United States but I tried to order a box of disposable contacts online to try them out and the website refused to fill the order because my prescription says Acuvue Oasys.

Again, they're not, I promise. When you punch that information into the computer, by law that are only allowed to sell you what you are currently wearing, as they have no way of assessing the fit of the lens. They are assuming that the trial pair of lenses you have, or the lenses you have been wearing all along, fit just fine. It's the only way they can be assured that they work, becausde if you already have them, you've been fit for them, in theory.

Giving you your prescription I have absolutely no problem with. I always tell patients of mine who have Dr.'s that are being difficult about giving out their Rx that it's the patients property...at least 1 paper copy of it is. Currently, if you leave their office and the slip of paper with your RX falls down a drain, they can charge you whatever they like for a copy....at least that's how it is here in Canada.

Its costs me tme because I'll do free contact lens fittings for people. Its very disheartening to see the 2 hours I've spent with someone gone to waste when my colleague calls to remind them of their follow-up appointment and are told that it's not needed because they are ordering them online. I don't know how well their eyes are taking to their lenses....that's why I need a follow-up visit.

Now, that doesn't happen often...but it's still a waste of my time because I am not seeing any return on the time I have spent with them. I just game 1-800-CONTACTS money.

Thunderpussy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 10, 2009

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

banana allergy posted:

Maybe you don't have 1800contacts up in Canada or something but when I order my contact lenses they have to confirm with my doctor's office that I am ordering the right contact lenses. I also can't order them with a prescription that is over a year old. I've seen several eye doctors since I started using contact lenses and none of them have had any problem with 1800contacts.

And thats great, because not every doctor has a desire to sell contact lenses. Most are kept busy with eye exams, so 1-800-CONTACTS is great for them.

In Canada, where there has been enacted a Patient Confidentially & Privacy Policy, where ANY information of your cannot be given out over the phone without written concent. So if someone calls, they do not have to release the information unless you go in beforehand and sigh something to say it's okay. They also do not have to divulge your ORDER information (brand, size, diameter, etc.), just the Rx details.

Again, I have absolutely no problem with people ordering online. None at all. My problem is with the companies that sell them makiing me do their work.

Calculon
Mar 19, 2006

WAKE UP AMERICA

Thunderpussy posted:

Again, they're not, I promise. When you punch that information into the computer, by law that are only allowed to sell you what you are currently wearing, as they have no way of assessing the fit of the lens. They are assuming that the trial pair of lenses you have, or the lenses you have been wearing all along, fit just fine. It's the only way they can be assured that they work, becausde if you already have them, you've been fit for them, in theory.
I'm probably reading this wrong but if they are not tied to the prescription then why did the store (lens.com) reject my order? They had no problem filling the order that was on my prescription, Acuvue Oasys. This is from their website:

quote:

Unfortunately, not. Contact lenses come in different sizes and must be fit to your eye by an Optometrist or Ophthalmologist. As a replacement center, we can only sell you contact lenses that you are already wearing successfully. If you would like to change the type or brand of lens you are wearing, your eye care professional will need to help you make that choice. Once you and your eye care professional establish what type of contact lens is best for you, simply contact our Customer Service Department and one of our knowledgeable representatives will help you save up to 70%.
Maybe you're trying to say that they just say that as a way to get around the law but then that means they would not have rejected my order.

Thunderpussy posted:

Its costs me tme because I'll do free contact lens fittings for people. Its very disheartening to see the 2 hours I've spent with someone gone to waste when my colleague calls to remind them of their follow-up appointment and are told that it's not needed because they are ordering them online. I don't know how well their eyes are taking to their lenses....that's why I need a follow-up visit.

Now, that doesn't happen often...but it's still a waste of my time because I am not seeing any return on the time I have spent with them. I just game 1-800-CONTACTS money.
But that patient already paid you for your time when the fitting was completed. It just seems like your upset that people are trying to save money by purchasing the same contacts you sell in store but at a reduced price. If the contacts fit when I left your office then it's safe to assume they still fit when I place the order online.

It may look like I'm flaming you but I'm just trying to understand why eye doctors (like my own) seem to get pissed because I had the audacity to ask for a copy of my prescription.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thunderpussy posted:

In Canada, where there has been enacted a Patient Confidentially & Privacy Policy, where ANY information of your cannot be given out over the phone without written concent. So if someone calls, they do not have to release the information unless you go in beforehand and sigh something to say it's okay. They also do not have to divulge your ORDER information (brand, size, diameter, etc.), just the Rx details.

Ah, I see. Here in the US we have the Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act, which actually forces a doctor to divulge or confirm the information to a contact lens supplier.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

quote:

It may look like I'm flaming you but I'm just trying to understand why eye doctors (like my own) seem to get pissed because I had the audacity to ask for a copy of my prescription.

That's strange, after paying for my fitting/trial lenses my eye doctor recommended I go to whoever sells the lenses cheapest, like Walmart or Costco. My prescription also seems to be tied to a specific brand, on the paper I got it says "Acuvue Oasys". I like these though so I haven't tried getting another brand.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Oh, I've been hoping for a contacts thread. I switched to Acuvue Oasys a couple of years ago. They're years better than Advance (those were so terrible), but I'm still having a couple of problems. One, they seem harder to put in. It barely took me any time to put in my old Acuvue 2s, but now I have to clean them over and over and over just to get them feeling clean.

Two, they don't seem to fit as well anymore. In the past three months, I've had to put them in the exact right spot, and even then they might shift a little. I can only see a couple of inches in front of my face and my jobs rely on computer screen text, so when my contacts shift, I can't read and it's a problem. I tried switching out pairs, but even clean ones did it. They didn't do this before. :(

Three, after about 24 hours in the solution, they get wrinkly around the edges and I have to smooth them out before they'll fit. I haven't changed solutions or the amount I put in there. Why is that happening?

I have to say, though, I'm relieved to hear that the two week ones means 14 days of 12 hours of wear. My optometrist used to yell at me for wearing them for a month, but I spend even amounts of time wearing both glasses and contacts, so a month of wear is about 14-16 days of contacts, and I throw them out if they start bugging me at all any time earlier than that.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

First of all, fantastic thread Thunderpussy. You are doing a great job of informing people of some of the intricacies involved in contact lenses.

I'm not attempting to hijack the thread or anything, but I just wanted to mention that I'm a student at a U.S. optometry school (just now finishing up my second year, so halfway done), and I thought I'd help out with answering any questions regarding differences between the States and Canada.

Someone mentioned the FCLC Act that we have here regarding online contact lens companies. Yeah, it states that the online company has to get prescription verification from a doctor, but there's also a part in there which states that the doctor only has a certain amount of time (I forget how much - somewhere between 8 and 24 hours, though I think it's 8) to verify once the online company has attempted to make contact through either fax or phone. If the company doesn't hear from the doctor in that span, then the law assumes that the doctor has given consent through silence and the online company can fill the Rx. Problem is, the law states that the online company must contact the doc during regular business hours: M thru F from 9 to 5. Not all offices are open during these time and thus the fax or call is not received until it's too late.

This is actually a good thing for those of you who are trying to order contact lenses online in a way, even though I put a negative spin on it due to my chosen profession. Many of the docs I know don't view contact lenses as a money-maker anymore, but rather just a way to keep patients coming back to their practice.

Also, I'm not aware of any restriction based on brand type, although I would imagine that if the doc puts a specific brand on the Rx form, then it's considered an actual part of the Rx. Not sure how often they fill that part in. I currently work as a tech at an optometric office, and the doc there always hands over the contact lens prescription without filling in a brand name.

Anyway, sorry to steal your thunder. I'd still like to help out if anyone has any questions that you may not be able to field due to differences in Canadian/US laws. Like I said, great thread, and I'm hoping we can get past the differences that most optometrists and opticians seem to have. Goons unite!

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Wedemeyer posted:

Question about colored lens: Do they look natural and do they cost more then normal prescription lenses?

I have dark brown eyes and have been thinking about changing things up with different colored eyes.

Sorry to jump in but coloured lenses, especially on dark-eyed people, look horribly fake. Like plastic doll eyes. The patterns used in their printing are repetitive and obviously unnatural, the colours are too bright, they fool no one.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Ganon posted:

That's strange, after paying for my fitting/trial lenses my eye doctor recommended I go to whoever sells the lenses cheapest, like Walmart or Costco. My prescription also seems to be tied to a specific brand, on the paper I got it says "Acuvue Oasys". I like these though so I haven't tried getting another brand.

Depending on local laws, no one has to follow a brand listed in a prescription.

If someone comes to me with a piece of paper that says

Acuvue Oasys
8.8 14.0 -3.25 OU

I dont have to fill it. If I choose to fill it, I contact their Dr's office and get their Rx, not a lens order. From there I can offer the patient whatever is suitable to them, weather it is the Oasys or not.

Sort of like a Dr. saying you need a specific brand of medication. A Pharmacist is within their scope of practice to offer you a generic.

Calculon posted:

But that patient already paid you for your time when the fitting was completed. It just seems like your upset that people are trying to save money by purchasing the same contacts you sell in store but at a reduced price. If the contacts fit when I left your office then it's safe to assume they still fit when I place the order online.

If they paid me, that's another story. I rarely charge an office visit on a new fit for a patient. I WILL however, charge one should I feel taken advantage of.

Just because they fit fine when you left my office, doesn not mean they stayed fine over the next week of wearing them. That's why follow-ups for new fits and yearly follow-ups are important.

I think the issue is with the ethics of doing it...because if we didn't do the work in the first place, the online companies couldn't benefit from it.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Scudworth posted:

Sorry to jump in but coloured lenses, especially on dark-eyed people, look horribly fake. Like plastic doll eyes. The patterns used in their printing are repetitive and obviously unnatural, the colours are too bright, they fool no one.

Then you need to get a better fitter, one that will take the time to really go through your options.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Zaftig posted:

I have to say, though, I'm relieved to hear that the two week ones means 14 days of 12 hours of wear. My optometrist used to yell at me for wearing them for a month, but I spend even amounts of time wearing both glasses and contacts, so a month of wear is about 14-16 days of contacts, and I throw them out if they start bugging me at all any time earlier than that.

I wear the same type, and my eye doctor said they should be thrown away 14 days after they are taken out of the package, regardless of how often you wear them.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Zaftig posted:

Oh, I've been hoping for a contacts thread. I switched to Acuvue Oasys a couple of years ago. They're years better than Advance (those were so terrible), but I'm still having a couple of problems. One, they seem harder to put in. It barely took me any time to put in my old Acuvue 2s, but now I have to clean them over and over and over just to get them feeling clean.

Two, they don't seem to fit as well anymore. In the past three months, I've had to put them in the exact right spot, and even then they might shift a little. I can only see a couple of inches in front of my face and my jobs rely on computer screen text, so when my contacts shift, I can't read and it's a problem. I tried switching out pairs, but even clean ones did it. They didn't do this before. :(

Three, after about 24 hours in the solution, they get wrinkly around the edges and I have to smooth them out before they'll fit. I haven't changed solutions or the amount I put in there. Why is that happening?

Have you tried using eye drops while you are in front of the computer?

Try using the Clear Care solution for the lenses. I guarantee that they will feel squeaky clean!

If they do not fit well, go back to your fitter and explain the peoblem. Perhaps you need a different base curve selection. Ask him/her to retake your K's and start over.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Ganon posted:

I wear the same type, and my eye doctor said they should be thrown away 14 days after they are taken out of the package, regardless of how often you wear them.

Then your doctor is full of poo poo and only wants more of your money.

Even the company that makes them says that they are to be WORN 14 times, not thrown out after 14 days.

swordfishtrombone
Dec 24, 2004

the violinist kept playing

Thunderpussy posted:

I'd advise against buying lenses online however. I can't tell you how many pairs of glasses I see in any given week that were bought online and were filled completely incorrectly.

What do you think was the cause of this? From what I've read, it seems to me like there are only a certain number of specific measurements that go into getting a pair of spectacle lenses. Do the problems seem to come from the customer just blindly ( :haw: )punching numbers into the online order form, perhaps not reading the optometrist's (maybe poor) handwriting correctly, or is it the website loving everything up in some other way even if the customer gets the prescription information exactly right.

If an online lens purchase for spectacles was filled correctly, would there be some other compelling reason not to do it? The general impression I'm getting from this thread is that the more difficult problems arise from ordering contacts online much moreso than ordering spectacles.

Also, all this talk of contacts is making my head hurt. I don't know if I'll even think about contacts until I've finished university and I'm making a large enough salary to be able to throw money at a professional and just tell them to take care of everything for me.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

swordfishtrombone posted:

What do you think was the cause of this? From what I've read, it seems to me like there are only a certain number of specific measurements that go into getting a pair of spectacle lenses. Do the problems seem to come from the customer just blindly ( :haw: )punching numbers into the online order form, perhaps not reading the optometrist's (maybe poor) handwriting correctly, or is it the website loving everything up in some other way even if the customer gets the prescription information exactly right.

If an online lens purchase for spectacles was filled correctly, would there be some other compelling reason not to do it? The general impression I'm getting from this thread is that the more difficult problems arise from ordering contacts online much moreso than ordering spectacles.

Also, all this talk of contacts is making my head hurt. I don't know if I'll even think about contacts until I've finished university and I'm making a large enough salary to be able to throw money at a professional and just tell them to take care of everything for me.

For single vision glasses where a Rx is not complicated, order away! I've advised friends to do it in the past when I know what their Rx is....I've always double checked them once they've come in, and for the most part they are fine.

For ANYONE needing a bifocal lens, weather it is with or without a line, I would advise against it.

Generally, the problems arise from the company who makes them. When you order online, the company sending them to you has zero accountability for their product.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The same could be said from anywhere though...however if you order something from a person, so can usually get better service when something goes wrong...like if the frame breaks, or your lenses get scratched.

swordfishtrombone
Dec 24, 2004

the violinist kept playing

Thunderpussy posted:

For single vision glasses where a Rx is not complicated, order away! I've advised friends to do it in the past when I know what their Rx is....I've always double checked them once they've come in, and for the most part they are fine.

That's good news for me, as I've never had any interest in bifocals or anything. Do you happen to have an opinion as to the different prescription strengths at which various lens indexes (1.57, 1.61, 1.67) start to look bad and/or function poorly. (Hope that made sense).

Thunderpussy posted:

Generally, the problems arise from the company who makes them. When you order online, the company sending them to you has zero accountability for their product.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I SUPPOSE what little 'accountability' there is comes in just the same way it comes for anything else on the internet...a website/company that does a poor job has its reputation mercilessly trashed on various internet forums. On that note, care to take the opportunity to call out any particular glasses website, or would you rather remain impartial? :)

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I work for one of those evil online contact stores. As said previously they do try to verify prescriptions before allowing orders to be pulled, within the bounds of the law. They also have a very generous return policy because they do understand that lenses don't always work out. The advantage of buying from my company in particular is they have a direct line with all the manufacturers and have the largest amount of stock on-hand so you get them faster and cheaper than if you order through your doctor's office, OTOH you don't get hands-on care.

In my personal experience Acuvue Oasys is the most comfortable brand. I've tried most of the color brands and they're all horribly uncomfortable, especially the Freshlook lines. If you have really sensitive eyes that dry out really easily you probably won't be able to wear them comfortably.

Oh, and TAKE YOUR loving CONTACTS OUT AT NIGHT AND THROW THEM AWAY AT THE RECOMMENDED TIME. Intact vision is a lot more valuable than $180/year jesus christ.

OneZeroSix
Apr 5, 2009

Rodgers Shoryukening the Steelers FTW
Ok so I just bought glasses a year or so ago, and because insurance didn't cover me for lenses, but would for frames, I opted to get a nice looking pair of frames with the cheapest lenses available.

So I'm pretty much just wondering if the expensive lenses are actually worth it? There seem to be more customization options for lenses than there are for cars, and when they were trying to sell me the premium lenses, they showed me a picture where the cheaper lenses you were pretty much blinded by all the glares at night, and with the premium ones you could see like it was daylight; I thought well if you're gonna have those dramatic pictures for me, and they make that much of a difference,then show me a physical comparison of the drat things.

That said, my lens insurance has reset, so I've been thinking about going in and getting them put on if they're really that much better.

Also, how much more expensive are the premium lenses compared to the cheap ones?

Thanks a lot!

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Thanks for the quick response!

Thunderpussy posted:

Have you tried using eye drops while you are in front of the computer?

Try using the Clear Care solution for the lenses. I guarantee that they will feel squeaky clean!

If they do not fit well, go back to your fitter and explain the peoblem. Perhaps you need a different base curve selection. Ask him/her to retake your K's and start over.
I've been using Opti Free, but I'm about to run out of solution so now's a good time to switch! I hope that brand is available in the US.

I haven't tried using eye drops. I test my vision by seeing if I can read my toothpaste tube after the contact is in. If I can, I'm fine. If not, then I can't read and I need to readjust. I guess I do just need to get measured again when I can afford it. :(

Re: colored contacts, every one I've seen has been super fake and obvious on dark-eyed people.

SydHed
Sep 11, 2001

Set the controls for the heart of the sun...
Realistically, how long can I use my contacts for if I rinse/soak them every night? I use silicon hydrogels that are rated for 30 days continuous use. I've been using them for two and a half months already, 5 days a week and I have been replacing the contact lens containers every month to reduce microbe buildup.

I really need this last pair to last-- Walmart won't sell me new contacts until I get my eyes re-checked (which I did already in Hong Kong this past summer, with no change), but the optometrists here in Toronto want to bill $70 for a simple checkup.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
A checkup should include basic eye health check as well. I'll say again, what's worth more, your vision or $70? Just do it.

Frank Fencepost
Dec 27, 2005
STOP POSTING PICS OF SEXY MIDDLE SCHOOL KIDS GUYS. SERIOUSLY:gizz::gizz::gizz:
I always thought the contact lens fitter person was just trying to get me to take my lenses out at night so I'd mess them up and buy new ones.

I mean I wear the kind I'm supposed to be able to leave in for a couple days without problems, but I sort of assumed they just say the stuff they say in order to make sure I buy lenses twice as often as I really need to.

Thanks to this thread I will take them out tonight.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I've been wearing Frequency 55 for two months now. You mentioned that one should seriously consider switching, but I still have 5 months supply. What is the reason I should switch out?
I'm fine with them now, as long as I dont wear them for more than 10 hours, and use drops periodically. I still dont feel perfectly comfortable though. But they did take me a couple of weeks to get used to. Are they really a crappy lens?

I basically went to JCPenny and they tested me and gave me that, I didnt get to try out anything else.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Thunderpussy posted:

1) RGP lenses are hands down the absolute best lenses you can possibly wear. Please, don't stop wearing them.

They are fairly rare for a number of reasons.

a. There is little to no advertising for them.
b. They are HARD lenses. Perople don't want to put anything hard on their eyes.
c. They require a significant time investment on the part of the fitter to make sure they are right. Not many people out there want to spend that kind of time. Those that do are few and far between.

RGP lenses are your best option if you have ALOT of astigmatism, a very strong Rx (+/- 10.00), or if your Rx hasn't changed in awhile. Rgp's can be bought once and used for 10-15 years. (assuming that they are taken care of and the Rx doesn't change much.) I recommend them to everyone that I see where I feel it would be of benefit to them. I usually fit 1 person with them ever few months.

2) Probably when you are in your early to mid 40's, depending on your Rx. The crystalline lens in your eye losed its ability to change shape at that point, which is why you need help to focus of things close up. Contact lenses will have no effect on this at all. It'll happen when it happens.

Well that's good that my optometrist takes the time to get them to fit right . . . he's kind of a nerd though.

10-15 years, really? I get new ones every 1.5 years, about. My prescription is always changing though since I'm still in school and reading/staring at computers all the time. I tried just getting them polished once to extend their life and it seemed to mess them up, they got a lot blurrier. Did the polisher just screw up or what? Since then I've just been buying new ones when they get old and start losing focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Animal posted:

I've been wearing Frequency 55 for two months now. You mentioned that one should seriously consider switching, but I still have 5 months supply. What is the reason I should switch out?
I'm fine with them now, as long as I dont wear them for more than 10 hours, and use drops periodically. I still dont feel perfectly comfortable though. But they did take me a couple of weeks to get used to. Are they really a crappy lens?

I basically went to JCPenny and they tested me and gave me that, I didnt get to try out anything else.

The newest generation of lenses, (silicone hydrogels) are made to be much more comforable. They 'breathe' better and are all around safer and healthier for your eyes.

Only getting 10 hours of wearing time from your lenses is unacceptable to me as a contact lens fitter. You should be able to wear your lenses at LEAST 10 hours a day and have them remain as comfortable when you take them out as they were when you put them in.

In comparison to the lenses available today....well, yes....they are a terribly crappy lens.

Take any unopened boxes back to your fitter and ask to try something that is made from silicone hydrogel. Acuvue Oasys, Air Optix, Purevision, and Encore 100 are all excellent, excellent choices. They should be able to swap the unopened boxes for newwer lenses.

• Locked thread