Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So, is there as big a range of average lifespans between normal sized house cats and larger breeds like Maine Coons like there are between very big and very small dogs? Or is it all pretty standard across all breeds of cats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

For the most part indoor cats live between about 12 and holy gently caress how old is he years. Indoor/outdoor cats can live as long but are more prone to accidents, attacks, and disease. Outside of certain congenital over breeding defects, there's no real difference in life spans.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Clearing up and I found this video of a kitten our group hand reared earlier in the year (their mother was run over). He was a keen feeder and turned into a lovely little character but the owners took the litter back so we've no idea where they ended up.

Tabby feeding

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It seems like this should violate some law of physics or another.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwB8nbI4TuM
Cat With a Laser Pointer on Head

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

a kitten posted:

Integration of hardware into the subject was successful, but the lasercat prototype maintains its fatal flaw. Back to the drawing board.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

So, is there as big a range of average lifespans between normal sized house cats and larger breeds like Maine Coons like there are between very big and very small dogs? Or is it all pretty standard across all breeds of cats?

If you want a cat to live a long time, find a really grumpy Siamese. They are known to be long lived to begin with, and the angry ones never die. They just get older, skinnier, angrier and LOUDER. Forever.

Stewie is 6. He is generally annoying. His special move is to grab the bottom of a closed door and shake it until someone opens the door or kicks him.

Frankie is about 12. He complains loudly when you don't give him the exact food he wants. Usually whatever you are eating. When he wants in a room, he whines until you open the door. He will not stop.

Shmoo is over 18. We are guessing that he is somewhat senile, because he walks around the house at night, yelling at the top of his lungs. Do not pick him up. He will slap you, and hiss terrible stink at you.

Shmoo gets what Shmoo wants. It hurts less that way.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

a kitten posted:

Giving a cat a laser sight, and cat programming as regards all things laser being basically "fire at will", seems like a good idea only in theory.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

Giving a cat a laser sight, and cat programming as regards all things laser being basically "fire at will", seems like a good idea only in theory.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That is an amazing gif.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Ratzap posted:

Clearing up and I found this video of a kitten our group hand reared earlier in the year (their mother was run over). He was a keen feeder and turned into a lovely little character but the owners took the litter back so we've no idea where they ended up.

Tabby feeding

The video won't load, it says it's corrupted.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

This is Floyd, a 'feral' cat that my parents feed.

He was born feral, but unlike his mum and sister decided that he liked being stroked and brushed. He gets a mix of cat biscuits and left-overs, as well as hunting down small rodents and lizards.

He turns up morning and evening for food and petting then sods off and does secret cat stuff the rest of the time. Sometimes comes into the house and sits around for a bit.

They built him and his sister a really nice cat house last year for winter, but there's a possibility that he'll become a housecat this year. The sister had kittens then vanished with them, one kitten then found its way back to the house, so they found it a home.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The only thing Floyd is feral for is hugs.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
That ain't a feral cat

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
He probably belongs to a little old lady down the street and does this whole 'feral' act to get a second dinner when he does his rounds.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

That ain't a feral cat
Not really anymore, but he was really born feral. The reason he looks in good condition is because he gets fed, brushed and has flea stuff dabbed on him. Despite all this care, the parents still insist that they don't own a cat.

Angrymog has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Sep 2, 2014

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Angrymog posted:

Not really anymore, but he was really born feral. The reason he looks in good condition is because he gets fed, brushed and has flea stuff dabbed on him. Despite all this care, the parents still insist that they don't own a cat.

Well, cats are really the owners so they aren't all wrong...

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Angrymog posted:

isnt this basically how cats became domesticated? Cats decided that people = food/love, decide to stick around until they become domesticated?

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

The Fresh Prince posted:

isnt this basically how cats became domesticated? Cats decided that people = food/love, decide to stick around until they become domesticated?

No, that's how cats 'domesticated' us human hunters into docile food dispensers.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tibor posted:

No, that's how cats 'domesticated' us human hunters into docile food dispensers.

That's not far from the truth. Apparently cats came along with the agriculture package - new farmers didn't domesticate their own local cats, but the same breed of cat spread with the technology.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
So smug. (She got a badger haircut for the summer a few years back.)

So distrustful.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

casual poster posted:

The video won't load, it says it's corrupted.

Converted to youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf7v5hek0TE

The funny part is we later noticed all the kittens in that litter waggled their ears while suckling.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He probably belongs to a little old lady down the street and does this whole 'feral' act to get a second dinner when he does his rounds.

Why no, I'm not the same cat as before; in fact I'm a completely different cat. One which you haven't fed yet....

This is Dusky, a cat belonging to a friend of mine.

[TIMG]http://i.imgur.com/UscOg1L.jpg[[/TIMG]

Dusky gives no fucks.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

M.C. McMic posted:

So distrustful.

Sooooooooooo they know that cats use the box and not the product, so they made the box the product. That's bloody brilliant.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Apparently, cats show us their butts to show friendship and friendly feelings.

I mean, of course cats would do that.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Picked up our little bastard at long last yesterday. Slept all the way home, and after a brief spell of hiding behind the couch, has now decided he owns the house.

Worryingly, he's his big at only three months.

He seems to be very fond of carrying things around the house in his mouth, like rubber mice, bank notes, my f&cking work pass.. Is this a normal Ragdoll thing, or did we accidentally buy a dog?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
It's a normal cat thing in general.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

This is my pass.

Give it back you are a cat.

It doesn't even fit.

Spuckuk has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Sep 3, 2014

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

The solution is to just take him to work with you.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Spuckuk posted:

Picked up our little bastard at long last yesterday. Slept all the way home, and after a brief spell of hiding behind the couch, has now decided he owns the house.

Worryingly, he's his big at only three months.

He seems to be very fond of carrying things around the house in his mouth, like rubber mice, bank notes, my f&cking work pass.. Is this a normal Ragdoll thing, or did we accidentally buy a dog?

Some cats will even develop a favourite toy that they carry around with them. Cats do a lot of stuff that people think only dogs do. They're very versatile.
Most of my cats, however, have been the average cat-sloth hybrid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Flagrant Abuse posted:

It's a normal cat thing in general.

Yeah, the mistake Spuckuk has made is not understanding that all that stuff belongs to his cat now.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, the mistake Spuckuk has made is not understanding that all that stuff belongs to his cat now.

My girlfriend decided she owns it all already :/

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Dove from Above posted:

Some cats will even develop a favourite toy that they carry around with them. Cats do a lot of stuff that people think only dogs do. They're very versatile.
Most of my cats, however, have been the average cat-sloth hybrid.

My folks have a Siamese cross with cerebellar hypoplasia named Murphy, and while he's the sweetest cat in the world he has a few...peculiarities. Outside of running like a rabbit and falling down if you think pushy thoughts at him.

He loves socks. Any plush toys, but socks in particular - if they're left out in any way, he will pick them up, carry them through the house, and then place them in his water bowl. He also insists on circling his food bowl exactly twice clockwise before being able to eat out of it, and he drools but only on people he trusts.

Murphy is pretty much awesome, is what I'm saying.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Ragnar, like all cats, has learned to fear the hoover.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You live in a beige cloud.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Mr. Squishy posted:

You live in a beige cloud.

Instagram :argh:

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Spuckuk posted:

My older maine coon used to drag around one of my kittens by the neck when they were younger.

Four years later, my husband just told me he caught them doing it again, just now they weigh about 18 and 13 pounds a piece.

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl

CapitanGarlic posted:

My folks have a Siamese cross with cerebellar hypoplasia named Murphy, and while he's the sweetest cat in the world he has a few...peculiarities. Outside of running like a rabbit and falling down if you think pushy thoughts at him.

He loves socks. Any plush toys, but socks in particular - if they're left out in any way, he will pick them up, carry them through the house, and then place them in his water bowl. He also insists on circling his food bowl exactly twice clockwise before being able to eat out of it, and he drools but only on people he trusts.

Murphy is pretty much awesome, is what I'm saying.

I was hungover one morning and almost threw up from motion sickness watching cerebellar hypoplasia cats wobble around on the internet. I guess what 'm saying is congrats on the strong stomach.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Spuckuk posted:

Ragnar, like all cats, has learned to fear the hoover.

Is your staircase ridiculously steep or is it just the picture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Edith and Maude, pigeon watchers

Took them to my parent's place for a few days, where they did cat things: