Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Hey, cat thread. I have a cat again.

This guy left me in July '23 after 11 years together. He was a moron through-and-through, and the best cat I've ever had.

Around November I started thinking about adopting again but wasn't sure I was ready. Checked out the local shelters every so often, and one day the name Magma Wyrm caught my eye.

She's settled in pretty well.

She's quite triangular, and sometimes sees demons.

She might be part squirrel.

And she fuckin loves belly rubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's a good ball of fluff you got there

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/100seqs/status/1748933653047185446?s=20

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cats always look like they're flying when they jump. I see that applies to bobcats as well.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just 'boing'.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
all cats can do big jump

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Girl with the Dogs with a sphinx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TkYBxVCev4

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

We live in a pretty rural area, and right around Halloween these two feral cats showed up on our back porch during a Halloween party we were having:

We suspect that they were babies of a feral female tortie we'd been seeing the past year. We fed them a can of tuna and went back to the party. They started showing up every day and so we started buying canned cat food, and by December we were able to feed them with our back door open sitting a ways away from them. As the weather got colder (we live in Northern Minnesota), we started to let them come into the house to eat, with the our dogs locked in another room. We learned that our neighbors had been feeding them also (hotdogs, lol), and had already named them Prince and Willie (there used to be a grey sibling but the wildlife got him), but they couldn't own cats and had no plan to keep them (we just found out that our neighbor was going to "mercy dispatch" them before the negative temps started). We lured them into our house to trap them and take them to a vet to get their rabies shots and to get them neutered. We had planned to re-release them into the wild since they were feral and we already have two dogs (1 a tiny senior dog). Fast forward to the end of their recovery time in our spare room, and they had been so chill and awesome that we decided to keep them! A pic from their recovery room:

Any excuse we had to get rid of them (what if they were bad w/ the dogs, what if they couldn't figure out litterboxes, etc.) was debunked right away. Aside from them going absolutely apeshit around feeding times, they are little angels! They don't show any food aggression towards us or the dogs, but they just jump around all crazy and meow a lot. I am very biased, but I LOVE them and they are so beautiful, like friggin' models. Anyways, we haven't decided on if we are keeping their old names but we are leaning towards CASE and TARS. Here is a photo dump!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

They are completely aware that they hit the jackbot. :kimchi:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

:kimchi:

aaa they are amazing

how do they get on with the dogs?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It amazes me that mystery trash kittens can grow up to be such perfect cats.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

:kimchi:

aaa they are amazing

how do they get on with the dogs?

SURPRISINGLY they are getting along really well! This is from today:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Those are some great cats, and I'm so glad they're safe and happy! Thank you for taking them in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dick Trauma posted:

It amazes me that mystery trash kittens can grow up to be such perfect cats.

My theory is that they know how lucky they are.

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
We talking mystery trash kittens?! Just got mine, he is about one they think. Passed all the tests at the vet, so welcome home Jonesy!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

kakotheres posted:

We talking mystery trash kittens?! Just got mine, he is about one they think. Passed all the tests at the vet, so welcome home Jonesy!

An excellent name.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

kakotheres posted:

aaa the little mittens

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Trash cats, eh?

Daenerys was found in a dumpster at one of the shittiest jobs I ever had.

She was a bit older than I thought she was, she missed out on some growing and never got very big. As a result she wasn't very well-socialized and spent years hiding and trying to avoid people.

Today, she's almost like a normal cat!

As I type this, she's outside on the catio. She'll only go out when we leave the glass slider open on cool days (most of the other cats have no problem using the cat flap insert), but she used to not even want to go in windows.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

theres no sane thought behind those eyes

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

BIG
KITTY

https://twitter.com/foxloveslizards/status/1761823889800548747?s=20

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

If I lived in an area with Mountain Lions my last words would be Pspspspspspspsps.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kitty thinks you forgot that sharing is caring. Especially sharing your turkey sandwich.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

The feral cats we rescued TARS (prince) and CASE (willie) have adapted quite well to indoor life.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

The perfect color combination. :kimchi:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I want to tell you all about Outdoor Cat that was later renamed Rooney. Back in February, my wife yelled at me to come to the front door. I got there and she was looking through the storm door out onto our steps, where a cat was sitting. Last summer another cat came up to us asking to live here and we tried, but Frank needed to be the only animal in the house and it wasn't going to be fair to him or to the two older animals we already have. So we gave Frank over to a local cat rescue charity here and he found a wonderful home. I told her that we can't do this again. It has been 6 months since our "experiment" with Frank but I still remember how much I got attached to him for the month or so we tried to keep him here. Plus we aren't looking to replace the can and dog we currently have when they leave us because we need a break. Our dog can't be left home alone, and of course that really impacts our entire life. He's 16 and has had severe medical issues his entire life, so yeah...we need a break for a while.

Anyway, my wife went out to see her and she ran away. So I went out and sat on the steps and she came back. This was our first interaction

https://i.imgur.com/bBQWLz7.mp4

I was pretty happy with how it went. I stayed out there and she eventually came back to check me out further

I went inside and got some treats, to see if I could get her a little closer

https://i.imgur.com/TbaeRwt.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/iwByBdG.mp4

Went to take the dog out and this happened

https://i.imgur.com/RrikIfN.mp4

At this point of the story, you're thinking that this is someone's cat that got out, or at least an indoor/outdoor cat that someone feeds. She was still VERY skittish to any sudden sounds or movements. She went into Full Alert whenever a car drove past and if I stood up, she was down the steps and in the bushes in the blink of an eye. Also, I have seen her here and there this past year, first as a kitten and then as she grew. Her mother looks exactly the same but mom is a short hair. Outdoor cat here is a medium hair and look at that floofy tail. One of the feral toms in the nieghborhood is a long hair dark grey cat so this is all checking out so far. We had named her Outdoor Cat because again, I wasn't going to get as attached as I did to Frank. Note that the weather doesn't look too bad for late January, but we live in Upstate NY and luckily we had some nice days mixed with the normal poo poo gently caress that is Syracuse in the winter.

Those were all on January 27th. We caught her coming and going at night on the Ring camera but she didn't really come back during the day until about Feb 5.

I went out again and down with her and she seemed to be getting more comfortable with me.

I had built a shelter and bought a heated water bowl. She didn't use the shelter, but she did find the water bowl. I should also say that at this point we were leaving food out for her - sometimes she ate it and sometimes she didn't. One night the Ring caught another cat sitting behind her while she was eating on the top step and she was definitaly not happy about that. So we decided to only feed her when we saw her. More on that in a minute.

This was still the same day, but a little later on. Please pardon the smug look on my face but I was so happy that she felt this comfortable around me. Especially since my wife couldn't get anywhere near her.

https://i.imgur.com/SnwtS2T.mp4

Fast forward to Feb 10th when I finally got to touch her. She was letting me hold the bowl while she ate, so I decided to see what her reaction would be if I touched the top of her head.

https://i.imgur.com/iTfq9XI.mp4

She was also letting me move her dish while she ate, so I knew she wasn't guarding it and I took that as a great sign. After I took the dish inside, I came back out and we did this

https://i.imgur.com/0hX1zUK.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/FW79RtC.mp4

You can't really tell but I could feel just a slight purr. A couple of days later she came back again I could tell things were moving along nicely.

https://i.imgur.com/cFMkaTP.mp4

We had been in contact with the Cat Coalition, the same people that came and got Frank when we realized he needed a new home. I worked with them to keep them updated on her progress and to get tips on actually catching her. Around this point I had tried to pick her up and she absolutely didn't mind. I just picked her up, turned her 180 degrees and put her down again. No fuss. A few days later I was able to pick her up and put her in front of the Ring camera to show off to my wife and again she was fine with it. She did let out a little meow as I was putting her down, but overall she seemed like a feral cat that was ready to live inside somewhere.

The next day she came back and we are clearly having a relationship at this point.

https://i.imgur.com/dfBqYtq.mp4

I had seen her running back behind our neighbor's house two properties over, so I figured that must be where her shelter was. She never came to see me when it was rainy or snowy, and rarely when it was cold and windy. Right around this time I noticed how bad she was shivering while I was feeding her one day. I told my wife we had to ramp up the schedule to trap her because I was worried about her in the cold.

I got a carrier that opened on top and the plan was to get her comfortable with it around until she got far enough in for me to shut the top and the back and BOOM we have her. I had prepared the spot for her in our basement - a large dog pen with blankets, litter box, food and water, etc. So when I got her, I could put her there until the Cat Coalition could come get her.

I actually got her all the way on day two! I closed the top quietly and she kept eating. I slowly closed the door behind her and the door brushed against her tail. She went to jump up and couldn't, and before I could slam the door shut, she was turned around and bolted right through it. I was really sad that I thought I had pushed too far and lost her trust. But she came back the next day, and we learned that the towel was better than the concrete steps.

https://i.imgur.com/CwUclq4.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/L9MKol4.mp4

She would stick around when I was inside now, too.

And at night, too

It was getting colder and snowier so we borrowed a live trap from one of my wife's coworkers and put our extra Ring camera on it. The plan was to put food in it without the trap actually set, and keep moving the food further into it until we could set it to spring, etc. And it would only be set when I was home and ready to go out there if she sprung it.

It is now Feb 24 and she has been in it a couple of times. I was home, had a blanket ready to put over it if she tripped it, went inside and waited. Wasn't long...

I took this screenshot as I was watching it because the food bowl is literally on top of the activation plate. I had put brown shipping paper in the bottom so she couldn't see the plate, and the bowl just kept sliding as she was eating. Then she moved ahead judt enough for it to trip and mad was she freaking the gently caress out. I'm not posting the video of that, but I got out there right away and put the blanket over her and she calmed right down. Took her inside and let the lady from the Coalition know that I got her and asked for tips getting her from the trap into the pen. She said she was just leaving work and could be at my place in less than half an hour, and to leave her in the trap until then. So I did. I stayed with her, and here is more proof that this "Feral" cat was going to be ok in a house as someone's companion

https://i.imgur.com/yBDlWSX.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/i8BHo5J.mp4

This was Friday afternoon. She was fixed on Monday and our fears were correct - she was pregnant at the time. Mixed feelings about all of that but the important part was the Outdoor Cat was finally someplace safe and warm. I got updates: she was named Rooney, or Roo, and had healed up nicely from the operation and on her way to a foster home

This weekend I got another update - she was on the web site for adoption and would be in the adoption center at one of the local pet stores. I went to see her yesterday and she laid down on my lap and purred away. At one point she gut up and turned around so she could look at me while I pet her. When it was time to go the volunteer put her on the floor and she did a low crawl to where her crate was and then jumped in on her own. She is still skittish and getting used to her new digs but when I left she was laying down on her towel, looking very relaxed.

I know this was a lot, but I wanted to share with you all here because I know as cat people you Get It. I'm so happy she chose us. It would have been great to keep her, but like I said we have an older dog with lots of medical issues and a 14 year old tripod cat that is pretty grumpy towards other cats in her old age. Plus my wife is terribly allergic to cats. The three short hairs we have had since we got together have bothered her but she deals with it. A medium hair would probably be worse. Anyway here's her official page, let's hope she finds a good home soon.

https://www.petfinder.com/cat/rooney-71064923/ny/liverpool/cny-cat-coalition-ny392/

edit: During the string of days when it was cold and snowy and she didn't come by, I was very worried. One morning I woke up and thought I had a dream about feeding the cat in the middle of the night. I couldn't really put it all together, but I had bits and pieces of it. When my wife woke up, she asked me if I went out to feed the cat in the middle of the night. She had checked the Ring history and then it all made sense. I remember that before I went to sleep I checked the Ring history and the cat had been there about 10 minutes earlier so I got up. Wife sort of woke up and asked what I was doing. I said, "gotta feed the cat," and she went back to sleep as she thought it was about our indoor cat, who wasn't necessarily eating all of her bedtime meal. What had actually happened is that I had (luckily) gotten dressed, prepared a bowl of cat food and then proceeded to wander around the front yard with it like the John Travolta meme from Pulp Fiction. She wasn't there so I left it outside and came back in. This story is brought to you by the Ambien I took before I went to bed. I don't take it every night, and my normal procedure is to go immediately from the bathroom to the bed, do not pick up phone, close eyes. And I let my wife know when I take one. These are all lessons that were learned the hard way, but that night I hadn't told her because I just wasn't sleeping because I was worried about Outdoor Cat. Thank God I put pants on first

Deus Ex Macklemore has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Mar 18, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

At first I totally misread that first paragraph as you saying you got rid of your old cat Frank so you could take in a new one. My brain is foggy today. :downs:

Great story.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thank you so much for sharing all of this.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Phlegmish posted:

At first I totally misread that first paragraph as you saying you got rid of your old cat Frank so you could take in a new one. My brain is foggy today. :downs:

Great story.

I can see how that was confusing lol. I might try and clean that up.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Thank you for getting Rooney inside and on the way to a home! What a great story.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That’s a lovely story and I wouldn’t want the post to be a single word shorter than it is.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

I AM GRANDO posted:

That’s a lovely story and I wouldn’t want the post to be a single word shorter than it is.

Thank you I think. I can't tell if this is a genuine compliment or two lies :)

I know it was long but it helped me out. Going through the pictures and videos, editing them and reliving the journey was good for me. I know she's in a safe place and is doing well but I still miss her and wish she could have stayed here.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Deus Ex Macklemore posted:

Thank you I think. I can't tell if this is a genuine compliment or two lies :)

I know it was long but it helped me out. Going through the pictures and videos, editing them and reliving the journey was good for me. I know she's in a safe place and is doing well but I still miss her and wish she could have stayed here.

I sincerely loved it and was glad to see a cat rescued so carefully and compassionately. I didn’t expect to read the whole thing, but I was glad to, ultimately.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I just got word that Rooney is being adopted and will be going home tonight. There's already a cat and a dog in that house and I was told that the dog loves cats and Rooney has not been reactive to the other cats at the adoption center. This is great news because I was a little worried that she wasn't going to be okay in those adoption cubbies at PetSmart. Anyway, wanted to give a bit of an update

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hooray for Roonie :unsmith:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Glad Rooney's on her way home! Thank you again for helping her get there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/6ST8bYy.mp4

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Jeez you got a big pussy Jeez you got a big pussy

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Why did you say it twice?

EDIT: VVVVVVV

Dick Trauma has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Mar 25, 2024

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
So big it had to be said twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

A cat that size runs the house. I can't even imagine trying to sass back that cat.