Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Leelee posted:

My cat chilling out.

Looks...comfy?

Looks like a bear trap to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Visited my folks for the 4th, including our now elderly cat. His tail isn't as short as it looks, it's just curled up under him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sappo569 posted:

I prefer the term "young-at-heart", while picturing them wearing a tiny little shawl and slippers :dance:

He's sixteen years old now, and alas has lost the energy of his youth. The most exertion he gets up to nowadays is jumping into someone's lap.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MikeJF posted:

Oh well that's just normal.

Right?

The cat draped across the top of my computer says yes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's a well trained, polite catte.

The top of the computer tower is warm. When I still had a laptop I'd usually find him curled around the power cord's boxy thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Duct Tape posted:

Kittens are starting to explore!

Lock down the house. The cute pictures thread is currently full of cat owners commiserating over "We freaked out over the cat going missing, found her later sleeping in a closet."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My family's cat had to be put to sleep today. :( He was 18, and we gave him a good life. Farewell, you dumb but affectionate goofball.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, they get to sleep all day, come and go as they please, and there's some big booming figure stomping around who feeds them, cleans up after them and pets them whenever the feel like getting attention.

Hope Looney (official name Lun Tha, my mother names all our cats after characters from plays) keeps his catnip mouse with him. He was never much for playing with toys, but we got him a catnip mouse when he was a kitten and he kept playing with it to his dying day.

18 is very elderly for a cat, so I'm not too sad. It's always hard, but he had a good, long life.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MikeJF posted:

Oh Misty would go and sit next to the heater and squark at us to turn it on. She knew we controlled that too.

Our cat never bothered with the heaters. He preferred someone's toasty computer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This thread requires a palette cleanser.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I agree. More cats, and I shall provide.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Can people with horrific dead cat stories please stay the gently caress out of this thread?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

No Pun Intended posted:

Is this a just a cat thing; or specifically a black cat thing? Harold (my resident black cat) loves to sit on any bag he can get his fat butt on to.

Definitely just a cat thing. The actual explanation is that bags tend to be things you carry outside the house, and therefore they smell strange and different to the cat. Sitting on them and rubbing themselves over the things makes them smell like the cat and therefore their property.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

left_unattended posted:

Are the screens actually on the outside and just look like they're on the inside?

Yes, that's how most of them work.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Kitten tries and fails to imitate mom.

You WILL pay attention to me, human.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cats: spines are optional.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

turtleluvr posted:

A question: why does a cat need this much foot fluff?

For living in cold climates and keeping their feet warm in the snow.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

veedubfreak posted:

Any cat with the snuggle gene is a good cat. My dad was a constant "cat hater" until my mom brought home a tiny little calico and her default position is "lap", now my dad can't get rid of her.

Sounds like my family's old cat. Never quite a lap cat, but my dad hated the critters until the doofus decided that the back of my dad's computer chair was his new favorite spot and gave my dad a warm, furry headrest whenever he'd sit down to play Civilization or WoW.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not mine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tendai posted:

Dumb cats are the best. Kiska is as dumb as a box of rocks but she loves everyone and wants to be their friend. I don't remember, are you fostering these guys or keeping them permanently? Because drat it would be hard to give them up, look at those fuzzy little shitheads :3:

My family's house has a screened and secured back porch that our cats like to use. It's separated from the rest of the house by sliding glass doors. Growing up, we had a cat that my mom named Lun Tha after a character in a play she liked. The first day we let him out onto the porch (with supervision), he eventually decided to come back inside. He did not realize there were sliding glass doors, and ran headlong into the closed door. While we were busy cracking up, he backed up... and ran into the door again. And then did it a third time before we opened the door for him.

We had him checked out by the vet afterwards and he was fine, but he was henceforth Looney for the rest of his life.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tendai posted:

Ahahahaha yeah Kiska did that a few times (the last being this summer, she isn't a bright cat) when she'd see her mortal enemy, Little Black Cat, out the front door and I guess not realize it wasn't open and just BONK. Within six months of me getting her she'd developed a weird love of chewing wood and at one point I got to make an emergency call to the vet to say "Um, my cat just swallowed a piece of our firewood, it's not very big. Should I be worried?" which was fun. She has no concept of how her back legs work and about 75% of the time she'll circle in your lap like a dog till you just kind of push her over onto her side and she seems to go "Oh, yeah, that worked" so now I think I've trained her that that's how lying down happen.

But any time you sit down and she's awake she is in your lap and all she wants from anyone is to have her belly rubbed/armpits scratched :3:

Looney was a good cat. Very dim, but he had a habit of sitting down on your feet if you stood still for a few minutes and looking up at you expectantly. He wasn't much of a lap cat, but he loved to drape himself over the armrest or back of an occupied chair.

He passed away last year, sadly, at the age of eighteen. I'm at work, unfortunately, so I can't post a picture of the doofus until I get home.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As promised here's Looney now that I'm home from work. He's not actually a tripod or bobtail, his other leg and half his tail are folded up under him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Robert Denby posted:

Edith likes to dangle now

Submitting this to a research journal as further proof that cats are in fact liquids rather than solids.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tendai posted:

Just picking out a DVD to watch, huh? :3:

Kiska is the same way, she's a lean cat but she's still 13-14 pounds.

My cat Looney, who I posted a page or two ago, also weighed in at much heavier than normal for his breed. He wasn't flabby or lean, though, he was just a very solid, very inflexible brick of a cat. A ridiculous fluff-monster, but when we had him shaved it turns out he really wasn't as big as he seemed. Just... solid.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Looney would eat as much as we let him. Putting him on a diet due to the cost of food did not seem to change his weight at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Size, ear tufts, and paws suggest a Main Coon, Norwegian Forest Cat, or mix favoring one of those. Congratulations on your giant teddy bear.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Duct Tape posted:

Bojack, can you pose like a normal cat for once?

Maybe next time.

That is a normal cat pose.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009